Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default For how many days ahead can/do you plan meals?

This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.

Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 10:16*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

We usually eat day to day but occasionally will make plans a couple of
days in advance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 1:16*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

We shop once a week and simply make sure we have plenty of stuff on
hand in the freezer and in the pantry. Unless it's a special meal, we
don't decide what we're having until that day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to have the same problem, when I actually tried to plan. But
making up a specific plan takes so much energy. What I do nowadays
instead, is just go to the food store and buy lots of stuff without
having any specific plan, and then improvise with what you have when
it's time to cook!

I actually find it more fun, and easier, to cook when I have the
constraint of already having the battery of ingredients in my kitchen.
They also inspire!

--
zettinger
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

I usually decide on supper at about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m.
We eat at 6:30. If it's hot, I might decide in the morning, cook then,
and reheat at mealtime. I work with what's in the freezer, the shelves,
and what appeals to me.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
>Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

You're supposed to have your regularly used ingredients stocked in
your larder.... you really should only need to shop weekly for
regularly used perishables (dairy/fresh produce) and to restock your
larder as items get low (keep a list). I can easily prepare a
different meal every day for a month without having to buy anything,
probably three months. The trick is to stock up on things you will
actually use, do not stock up on items you don't use... do NOT be an
impulse shopper... impulse buying destroys ones budget. And most
importantly, learn to love left overs... I very rarely cook only
enough for one meal, typically I'll cook enough for several meals, eat
the same thing two or three day in a row and freeze portions for down
the road.... a freezer filled with assorted "stoups" comes in very
handy for when one is lean on cash and/or time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

I don't think it's a bad habit at all. Food is fresher, you're more
in tune with your wants and whims and if plans change, food doesn't go
to waste. Hubby thought he was doing me a favor and bought meat for
the week. Gee, thanks but *no thanks*. I do *not* like planning that
far into the future because it never fails that plans change. The
kids decided to come over with their families tonight. They usually
bring the food and cook when it's a last minute deal like this, but I
have a big chicken waiting for me to do something with it - so I'll
make a recipe that Christine D turned me on to when we cooked together
here a couple of weeks ago - Jacques Pepin's roasted chicken with
mustard crust. http://www.kqed.org/w/morefastfoodmyway/episode204.html

PS: I love to grocery shop and don't think it's a chore... but I love
to cook too.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:16:32 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Unless it is something special, in which case a month or two is no big
> deal, I decide what is for supper sometime between 5AM & noon.

For me, it's between noon and 5PM if I have everything I need on had.
If I don't, I like to go grocery shopping and see what strikes my
fancy for dinner.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

You plan? Sure sometimes we know a few days ahead that Saturday will be
this or Sunday may be that, most times it is just a grab bag.

The freezer is well stocked so if one of us decides a pork roast or chicken
is desired, we have the ability to do it easily. There is always potatoes,
rice, pasta and frozen veggies. Some days I get home from work and we
still don't know what's for dinner.

I don't know why laying out money is a factor. Eating is a necessity so
shop wisely and you can save a bunch of money. Shop a few things ahead so
you have them when you want them. Or at least see what is on sale and
build a meal around it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:05:28 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>>possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>>that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>>plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>>out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>>
>>Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> You're supposed to have your regularly used ingredients stocked in
> your larder.... you really should only need to shop weekly for
> regularly used perishables (dairy/fresh produce) and to restock your
> larder as items get low (keep a list). I can easily prepare a
> different meal every day for a month without having to buy anything,
> probably three months. The trick is to stock up on things you will
> actually use, do not stock up on items you don't use... do NOT be an
> impulse shopper... impulse buying destroys ones budget. And most
> importantly, learn to love left overs... I very rarely cook only
> enough for one meal, typically I'll cook enough for several meals, eat
> the same thing two or three day in a row and freeze portions for down
> the road.... a freezer filled with assorted "stoups" comes in very
> handy for when one is lean on cash and/or time.

That is really good advice.

Not that it means anything to you coming from me, but you have really
changed for the better in the last 10 years.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:17:06 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> I don't think it's a bad habit at all. Food is fresher, you're more
> in tune with your wants and whims and if plans change, food doesn't go
> to waste. Hubby thought he was doing me a favor and bought meat for
> the week. Gee, thanks but *no thanks*. I do *not* like planning that
> far into the future because it never fails that plans change. The
> kids decided to come over with their families tonight. They usually
> bring the food and cook when it's a last minute deal like this, but I
> have a big chicken waiting for me to do something with it - so I'll
> make a recipe that Christine D turned me on to when we cooked together
> here a couple of weeks ago - Jacques Pepin's roasted chicken with
> mustard crust. http://www.kqed.org/w/morefastfoodmyway/episode204.html
>
> PS: I love to grocery shop and don't think it's a chore... but I love
> to cook too.

I love the grocery shopping too. I don't mind going every day. Prices
change on a daily basis, new stuff comes in, older stuff gets marked down.

There are also 5 major grocery stores within 5 miles.
3 of them are the same chain, but the prices are different at all 3. Go
figure.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>>possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>>that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>>plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>>out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>>
>>Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> You're supposed to have your regularly used ingredients stocked in
> your larder.... you really should only need to shop weekly for
> regularly used perishables (dairy/fresh produce) and to restock your
> larder as items get low (keep a list). I can easily prepare a
> different meal every day for a month without having to buy anything,
> probably three months. The trick is to stock up on things you will
> actually use, do not stock up on items you don't use... do NOT be an
> impulse shopper... impulse buying destroys ones budget. And most
> importantly, learn to love left overs... I very rarely cook only
> enough for one meal, typically I'll cook enough for several meals, eat
> the same thing two or three day in a row and freeze portions for down
> the road.... a freezer filled with assorted "stoups" comes in very
> handy for when one is lean on cash and/or time.

I agree. I generally cook enough for four people and eat leftovers during
the week. I freeze the rest. Then when I don't feel like cooking I can
thaw and nuke an already prepared meal. I don't like shopping so I
definitely make a list.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

I maintain a shopping list so I only go to the grocery store about once a
month. I buy fresh vegetables from the farm stand. I don't plan meals out
a month in advance but there are certain things I always eat so I keep them
handy in the freezer and the pantry. For example, rice, beans, lentils. In
the freezer: meats, frozen vegetables. Whenever I have a craving for
something I nearly always have it on hand.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zettinger wrote:

>I used to have the same problem, when I actually tried to plan. But
>making up a specific plan takes so much energy.

Don't feel bad... lots of folks with low IQs have the same problem...
oy, thinking is so hard!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 1:16*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

I have a habit that may disgust you even more. I make or prep the
same food for 6 days. If I make or prep the food on Thursday night,
for example, it's good till Wednesday night. I have never become sick
doing this. An example of what I'm talking about is the meal I just
made last night - Thursday - which is a combination of cooked and
prepped.

I made a big pot of beans with an equal poundage of sirloin roast
- 2 pounds each. I don't pre soak. I cook for about 3 hours, rarely
needing to stir or check in on it for the first hour and 1/2. My
grandparents used to make this dish till the meat falls apart in the
beans. I prefer to take the meat out at about the two hour mark and
put in the fridge so I can dole out a set amount each day.

Once the beans are done, I put on an off burner and bring a small
fry pan to the front where I saute about 1 whole bulb of garlic diced
fine in a half stick of butter. That mixture is added to the beans
along with about a tablespoon or more of dried mint crushed between
the palms.

The meal does not have to be the same day to day as one can add
spinach or microwaved potatoes cut up or anything they want that goes
with the dish and helps turn it into a complete meal. This is a very
inexpensive way to eat, but I would never do it for that reason alone
- the stuff has to taste good too.

The Sultan of 6 Day Cooking,
TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 3:11*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:
> > This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> > possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> > that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> > plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> > out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.

> > Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> Don't hate shopping. *Shop by sight, not by a plan. *Buy what's fresh,
> on sale, and/or what tickles your fancy. *And don't stick to recipes.
> Buy stuff you don't necessarily have a plan for at the moment but will
> be able to use somehow.
>
> IMHO, if you don't like grocery shopping, then you don't like to cook.
> You may just like to "prepare" food.
>
> -sw

Good advice and I've never understood why people say they hate
shopping. I like to shop myself and try to ferret out some bargains
and think about this will go good with this. Or this added to this
will really perk up such and such dish. Or I've heard about this and
it got great reviews so I'm going to try it as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:00:55 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I usually decide on supper at about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m.
> > We eat at 6:30. If it's hot, I might decide in the morning, cook then,
> > and reheat at mealtime. I work with what's in the freezer, the shelves,
> > and what appeals to me.

> I'm surprised that everybody had pretty much the same answer I did.
> All these threads about weekly meal planning I'm usually the only one
> poo-pooing the idea.
>
> So for some of you, it finally sunk in. Good! ;-)
>
> Just buy food and figure out what to do with it later.
>
> -sw

I think folks should work it out in whatever way is most comfortable for
them. Some people need a plan, some don't. If money's tight, I can see
where careful shopping and planning is a must. Wasn't Chris Dabney
going to write an educational blog or something about wise shopping and
planning? Did it ever happen?
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article
> >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> My plans vary... I may plan meals minutes in advance (especially when I
> find a good sale on sometime at the grocery store) or a couple of weeks
> in advance for something special.
>
> My general work day meals are a weeks worth of roasted meat done on my
> days off with various steamed vegetables to go with them, or I might
> slice the meat thinly and make lettuce wraps or add them to mung bean
> noodle or shiratake noodle soup. I keep choices available for daily
> meals but often eat the same thing several days in a row.
>
> Most meals are planned around sales, and staples like romaine lettuce,
> spinach and other leafy greens.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Grocery shopping is a major event here in Black Creek Swamp and I work on
ways to stretch the 'run to the store'. Someone here mentioned the limit on
keeping milk related to how many times the container was removed from the
refrigerator and opened. That made sense or at least was worth a test. I
bought two small containers instead of the usual big jug. Used one. Then
the other. There was about a dollar difference in buying 2 smaller ones but
the 2nd one did indeed stay fresh and sweet. So soon old, so late smart.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:45:22 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> I have another recipe of Jacques I want to try soon..from that same
> series.
> http://www.kqed.org/w/morefastfoodmy...cipes.html#210

Was he peeking over my shoulder while I cooked? I use sherry, not
white wine, and thicken the gravy. Other than that, it's pretty much
how I cook chicken day to day.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 19/08/2011 19:16, Kalmia ha scritto:

> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.

Why should you plan? Keep a well supplied fridge and you'll always be
fine. I plan only if I'm going to have some hard to find stuff but then
planning is mostly about buying the stuff.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:48:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:00:55 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I usually decide on supper at about 4:30 or 5:00 p.m.
>> We eat at 6:30. If it's hot, I might decide in the morning, cook then,
>> and reheat at mealtime. I work with what's in the freezer, the shelves,
>> and what appeals to me.

>I'm surprised that everybody had pretty much the same answer I did.
>All these threads about weekly meal planning I'm usually the only one
>poo-pooing the idea.

We may be of the same mind as you on how to plan *our* meals-- but if
a weekly plan works for someone else- so be it.

>So for some of you, it finally sunk in. Good! ;-)
>
>Just buy food and figure out what to do with it later.

A 'got to have it on hand' list would be interesting. seems like
the last couple years I get nervous if I start to run low on any one
of several cheeses.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/08/2011 13:06, Andy ha scritto:

>> Why should you plan? Keep a well supplied fridge and you'll always be
>> fine. I plan only if I'm going to have some hard to find stuff but then
>> planning is mostly about buying the stuff.

> Family recipe contributions for holiday meals were planned/designated by
> some form of Supreme Family Court decision of which I wasn't privy to.
>
> A life long expectancy recipe!

Occasions, as many have said in this thread, is a perfect exception to
the rule. Christmas lunch with all the relatives gets planned weeks
ahead, but then it's just for a lunch. Why plan what to eat a certain
when you know that you don't know *now* what you'll like that certain day?
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

.. Why plan what to eat a certain
> when you know that you don't know *now* what you'll like that certain day?

For you, probably there is no reason. For very busy parents there are many
reasons, and if they haven't got a lot of money there are even more reasons.

My neighbor has always shopped every day like her mother did. Dinner is
usually a little antipasto, a primo, a piece of meat grilled or fried with a
vegetable. She is tired to death when she gets home and so is her husband.
If she shopped and planned ahead, some days she could heat up one dish meals
(which they do like) or use leftover meat from a bigger and cheaper piece.
Her mother had a tiny table height fridge and no freezer. She had to shop
dailòy. This girl has all mod cons, but is spending too much money and too
much time because she never learned to plan menus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 20/08/2011 14:57, Giusi ha scritto:

>> . Why plan what to eat a certain
>> when you know that you don't know *now* what you'll like that certain day?

> For you, probably there is no reason. For very busy parents there are many
> reasons, and if they haven't got a lot of money there are even more reasons.

They can just have a well supplied fridge by choosing lower price items,
just as ppl with more money keeps a well supplied fridge by buying
higher price items. Planning is unuseful

> My neighbor has always shopped every day like her mother did. Dinner is
> usually a little antipasto, a primo, a piece of meat grilled or fried with a
> vegetable. She is tired to death when she gets home and so is her husband.
> If she shopped and planned ahead, some days she could heat up one dish meals
> (which they do like) or use leftover meat from a bigger and cheaper piece.

If she keeps a well supplied fridge, she can choose from that everytime
she has to eat.

> Her mother had a tiny table height fridge and no freezer. She had to shop
> dailòy. This girl has all mod cons, but is spending too much money and too
> much time because she never learned to plan menus.

IMHO she never learned how to shop according to her budget
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 1:16*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

Loosenup and go with the flow. you're a grownup and you're not an
inmate. You can eat whatever you like, when you want it.

Growing up I had a friend whose mother made up a weekly menu plan.
There were 6 kids and I suppose it was necessary for budgeting to do
this but I always found it rigid and boring. It seemed very
institutional to me.

Another neighbor followed the monthly menu plan in one of the women's
magazines. Ladies Home Journal, perhaps, or Woman's Day... one of
those published a menu plan for the month. She followed it like it was
law. If it said Oven Fried Chicken on Tuesday the 8th, then that's
when she made it!!! It was one of those menus where if you made pot
roast on Sunday, it called for the leftovers to be used a different
way a few days later. I can see it being helpful to get you in a meal-
planning mindset, but after a week or two, for me, it would get very
boring. Even if there was something on the menu her family didn't eat,
she's make it. Very weird family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:41:14 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> zettinger wrote:
>>
>>I used to have the same problem, when I actually tried to plan. But
>>making up a specific plan takes so much energy.

> Don't feel bad... lots of folks with low IQs have the same problem...
> oy, thinking is so hard!

you of course would know.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:11:54 -0400, TFM® wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:05:28 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
>>>possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
>>>that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
>>>plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
>>>out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

>> You're supposed to have your regularly used ingredients stocked in
>> your larder.... you really should only need to shop weekly for
>> regularly used perishables (dairy/fresh produce) and to restock your
>> larder as items get low (keep a list). I can easily prepare a
>> different meal every day for a month without having to buy anything,
>> probably three months. The trick is to stock up on things you will
>> actually use, do not stock up on items you don't use... do NOT be an
>> impulse shopper... impulse buying destroys ones budget. And most
>> importantly, learn to love left overs... I very rarely cook only
>> enough for one meal, typically I'll cook enough for several meals, eat
>> the same thing two or three day in a row and freeze portions for down
>> the road.... a freezer filled with assorted "stoups" comes in very
>> handy for when one is lean on cash and/or time.

> That is really good advice.
>
> Not that it means anything to you coming from me, but you have really
> changed for the better in the last 10 years.
>
> TFM®

are you nuts?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> IMHO she never learned how to shop according to her budget

You're just illustrating that you have never been an Italian housewife. She
has just taken a reduction in salary of one thirteenth annual pay because
she works for the comune.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 6:05*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 1:16*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> > possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> > that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> > plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> > out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.

> > Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> * * I have a habit that may disgust you even more. *I make or prep the
> same food for 6 days. *If I make or prep the food on Thursday night,
> for example, it's good till Wednesday night. *

The same food for 6 days? God, I'd get tired of that after the third
day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

Grin, I have a rough plan but I make it up while I am shopping. I
actually buy in bulk and freeze alot because my back makes it hard to
shop for long (sob! I love grocery shopping!). I have a spare freezer
and a vacumn sealer.

At any given time, I always have something interesting even if I
haven't done a main shopping trip for a month or two. (side note, I
discount my very short trips to a local asian grocery for fresh
veggies. That's weekly).

Mostly we just look in the freezer and pick out whatever sounds
interesting then match it with veggies and fruits. If a chicken looks
interesting, out it comes to defrost for the next day and something
faster for that day will come up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 9:05*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 1:16*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > This seems to be my bete noir. * I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> > possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> > that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> > plan past a few days. *I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> > out a bunch of bucks. *Yet, I hate shopping.

> > Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

> * * I have a habit that may disgust you even more. *I make or prep the
> same food for 6 days.

Hey, when I was single, that's exactly what I did. I don't mind
eating the same thing three or four nights running, but when there's a
partner, I like to offer variety.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/19/2011 10:16 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> This seems to be my bete noir. I have a plan for tonight, tom'w and
> possibly Sunday night, but the mind shuts down after that. It's not
> that I don't have tons of recipes etc - but I just can't make myself
> plan past a few days. I think it's the whole idea of having to lay
> out a bunch of bucks. Yet, I hate shopping.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this bad habit?

Sometimes, I do the once-a-month-cooking thing (OAMC), but the most
frequent thing I do is to plan a week at a time. Something that helps
me is to set up a master menu theme like housewives did in the '50s.
Monday is pasta; Tuesday is potatoes; Wednesday is chili; Thursday is
stir-fry; etc. Then from week to week I either make the same stuff I
made last week, or tweak it based on my mood. This also helps with
shopping because I need the same basic staples all the time.

It also helps that around here, as long as the food is good, we're not
easily bored by eating the same thing a few times a month.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 12:35*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
On Aug 19, 6:05*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:

> > * * I have a habit that may disgust you even more. *I make or prep the
> > same food for 6 days. *If I make or prep the food on Thursday night,
> > for example, it's good till Wednesday night. *

> The same food for 6 days? God, I'd get tired of that after the third
> day.

It's funny Chemo, but I pick up a lot of people in the cab and
tell them my method and they almost all say the same thing: "Ewww, I
couldn't eat the same thing 6 days in a row." Yet these very same
people eat sausage and eggs and grits every morning of their lives. I
guess they don't count that as a meal. Don't forget though,
seriously, that I did mention that I sort of change it up every day.
The base is the same, but the ingredients can change a bit from day to
day. I got into this style of cooking because I have lived alone for
some time and openly admit that I'm kind of routine-oriented. But
mostly it was from the days when I worked 6 days a week and didn't
want to cook every day. I don't recommend it to anyone. Never have.
But it's not a bad system really in terms of cost and taste and health
value. The stuff I make is always very healthy, as eating and taking
walks are probably the only two healthy things I've done in my life.
Oh, and it doesn't have to be 6 days, it can be 2 or 4. In fact, it
started as 4 days, back when I'd buy a canteloupe and 4 bananas and a
quart of plain yogurt and a jar of wheat germ. I'd cut the canteloupe
in quarters and clear out the seeds, then put it in the fridge in a
plastic bag. Each day before work I'd cut up one banana and one
quarter of the 'loupe, then pour some yogurt on it along with some
wheat germ. From there it developed into more varied meals. I do not
recommend it for others, only answering the initial question of this
thread about planning meals.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 1:57*pm, Kalmia > wrote:

> Hey, when I was single, that's exactly what I did. * I don't mind
> eating the same thing three or four nights running, but when there's a
> partner, I like to offer variety.

Thanks for that. You hit it on the head. I have lived with
people, but most of my adult life I have chosen to live alone. My
motto is: It's better to be alone than to have company you can't get
rid of. So from there, living alone as you mentioned, that is how I
developed the 4 to 6 day style of eating. If the food is good it's
not boring. I have even enjoyed a 6-day food grouping so much that
instead of turning to something else after 6 days I'd actually go out
and buy the same thing. Then I'd get sick of it and turn to something
else. But it's a very efficient and in my view intelligent way of
cooking for those who live alone. How about the people I pick up in
the cab after they're through drinking at the clubs? They always want
to go through some drive thru for food to take home or even eat in the
cab while we're rolling. I ask these people, "Why don't you just buy
some hamburger meat or a steak and put it in the fridge on aluminum
foil and then broil it when you get home?" Or why don't they just go
out and get some chinese food or something before they go out to
drink, then eat it when they get home? When I see these people
resorting to drunken late-nite searches for fast food, I look on my 6
day eating plan as something quite sane compared to their method of
driving around looking for an open fast-food joint and paying for the
cab while doing it. Thanks for your comments.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>Sometimes, I do the once-a-month-cooking thing (OAMC), but the most
>frequent thing I do is to plan a week at a time. Something that helps
>me is to set up a master menu theme like housewives did in the '50s.
>Monday is pasta; Tuesday is potatoes; Wednesday is chili; Thursday is
>stir-fry; etc. Then from week to week I either make the same stuff I
>made last week, or tweak it based on my mood. This also helps with
>shopping because I need the same basic staples all the time.
>
>It also helps that around here, as long as the food is good, we're not
>easily bored by eating the same thing a few times a month.

I actually like to cook the same dish several times in a given
interval of time -- say five times over two months -- because
I think this helps the learning process, as well as refining
the result.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" <
> I actually like to cook the same dish several times in a given
> interval of time -- say five times over two months -- because
> I think this helps the learning process, as well as refining
> the result.

I love double-duty dishes. Tomorrow's Sunday Roast Beef will appear later
in the week in po'boys - found some lovely french bread for those. I would
kill for a fine home-grown tomato to put on the po'boys. If you have one,
better hide it from me. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 20:22:39 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "Steve Pope" <
> > I actually like to cook the same dish several times in a given
> > interval of time -- say five times over two months -- because
> > I think this helps the learning process, as well as refining
> > the result.

> I love double-duty dishes. Tomorrow's Sunday Roast Beef will appear later
> in the week in po'boys - found some lovely french bread for those. I would
> kill for a fine home-grown tomato to put on the po'boys. If you have one,
> better hide it from me. Polly

My son-in-laws heirloom tomatoes are ripe. I have 3 Brandywines and
one something-else, all perfectly ripe. ;p

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>>Sometimes, I do the once-a-month-cooking thing (OAMC), but the most
>>frequent thing I do is to plan a week at a time.

> I actually like to cook the same dish several times in a given
> interval of time -- say five times over two months -- because
> I think this helps the learning process, as well as refining
> the result.

When testing a recipe you have to or you won't remember the flavor you're
going for. Gets really boring sometimes, other times it's great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:21:45 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:11:54 -0400, TFM® wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:05:28 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:16:37 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>>> You're supposed to have your regularly used ingredients stocked in
>>> your larder.... you really should only need to shop weekly for
>>> regularly used perishables (dairy/fresh produce) and to restock your
>>> larder as items get low (keep a list). I can easily prepare a
>>> different meal every day for a month without having to buy anything,
>>> probably three months. The trick is to stock up on things you will
>>> actually use, do not stock up on items you don't use... do NOT be an
>>> impulse shopper... impulse buying destroys ones budget. And most
>>> importantly, learn to love left overs... I very rarely cook only
>>> enough for one meal, typically I'll cook enough for several meals, eat
>>> the same thing two or three day in a row and freeze portions for down
>>> the road.... a freezer filled with assorted "stoups" comes in very
>>> handy for when one is lean on cash and/or time.

>> That is really good advice.
>>
>> Not that it means anything to you coming from me, but you have really
>> changed for the better in the last 10 years.
>>
>> TFM®

> are you nuts?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yes, quite possibly.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
> On Aug 20, 1:57 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> Hey, when I was single, that's exactly what I did. I don't mind
>> eating the same thing three or four nights running, but when there's a
>> partner, I like to offer variety.

> Thanks for that. You hit it on the head. I have lived with
> people, but most of my adult life I have chosen to live alone. My
> motto is: It's better to be alone than to have company you can't get
> rid of. So from there, living alone as you mentioned, that is how I
> developed the 4 to 6 day style of eating. If the food is good it's
> not boring. I have even enjoyed a 6-day food grouping so much that
> instead of turning to something else after 6 days I'd actually go out
> and buy the same thing. Then I'd get sick of it and turn to something
> else. But it's a very efficient and in my view intelligent way of
> cooking for those who live alone. How about the people I pick up in
> the cab after they're through drinking at the clubs? They always want
> to go through some drive thru for food to take home or even eat in the
> cab while we're rolling. I ask these people, "Why don't you just buy
> some hamburger meat or a steak and put it in the fridge on aluminum
> foil and then broil it when you get home?" Or why don't they just go
> out and get some chinese food or something before they go out to
> drink, then eat it when they get home? When I see these people
> resorting to drunken late-nite searches for fast food, I look on my 6
> day eating plan as something quite sane compared to their method of
> driving around looking for an open fast-food joint and paying for the
> cab while doing it. Thanks for your comments.

Sounds good to me If it suits you and it sounds healthy enough to me, why
not

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk