Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kill File Disclaimer

I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
to killfile but still responds.

I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
filters I have on that but for now I see every post.

Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/08/2011 11:22 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds.
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.

Don't worry Lou. It's not like you carried on a stupid argument and then
announced that you were KFing people who disagreed with you, and then
replied to people you KF'ed, or created a new user name
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds.
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>
> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

I don't know why you bother, Lou! I don't use a kf but if I don't respond
then that person knows I am actively ignoring them
If I do, then that is MY choice
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds.
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>
> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile. It's
for *my* convenience, not theirs, or anybody else's. Of course, I don't
see their posts, not directly, but if somebody replies to them, I often
see them. Sometimes I will respond.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>> to killfile but still responds.
>>
>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>
>> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

> In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile. It's
> for *my* convenience, not theirs, or anybody else's. Of course, I don't
> see their posts, not directly, but if somebody replies to them, I often
> see them. Sometimes I will respond.

But only when you wish to) Exactly!
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:57:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th.

>I don't know why you bother, Lou! I don't use a kf but if I don't respond
>then that person knows I am actively ignoring them
>If I do, then that is MY choice

Good for you, I do exactly the same. Lou is a drug infected brain
damaged putz... only the infantile imbeciles who make believe they use
them have a need to announce their killfiles... and then when they get
caught squirm like the spineless worms they are.... yeah, right, on a
different computer... L I A R !!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kop kop is offline

On Aug 18, 8:22*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. *Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds. *
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>
> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.
>
> Lou

********Luigi, I really don't think anyone gives a rip and besides no
one cares if you "got busted" responding to someone that disagrees
with you. How about we stay on topic; besides everyone knows you talk
a big "killfile game" but you still can't resist to respond. Let's get
back to food preparation and recipes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile.

Every so often I'll trim a level of insert arrows and respond to someone
in my kill file. Technically it will go in the thread as a response to
the article I read.

Every so often I'll look on google and use it to respond to someone in
my kill file.

Every so often I sweep out my kill file. Usually several folks in
various groups earn themselves a spot back very quickly.

Since I've done the above I tend not to announce my plonks. I'm not
consistant about it. On the one hand new folks should know that it is
possible to filter when using some software. On the other hand doing it
often is just extra noise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> >
> > In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile.

> Every so often I'll trim a level of insert arrows and respond to someone
> in my kill file. Technically it will go in the thread as a response to
> the article I read.

Except for those geeky techies who look in the headers and discover
missing references. My news client has a handy feature where it goes
back and finds all preceding posts. I often want to do that anyway,
before responding to someone who is in my killfile. I can thus reply to
the actual post they made.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
>Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>> In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile.

>Every so often I'll trim a level of insert arrows and respond to someone
>in my kill file. Technically it will go in the thread as a response to
>the article I read.
>
>Every so often I'll look on google and use it to respond to someone in
>my kill file.
>
>Every so often I sweep out my kill file. Usually several folks in
>various groups earn themselves a spot back very quickly.
>
>Since I've done the above I tend not to announce my plonks. I'm not
>consistant about it. On the one hand new folks should know that it is
>possible to filter when using some software. On the other hand doing it
>often is just extra noise.

"Killfile Management" is the only thing yoose ignoranus *******s do on
usenet.... did sumwun hurt yer widdle feelings... Waa, Waa, Waa...that
you have to place them into your killfile and announce it to the
entire WWW... phuckin phoney puny peckered pukes! Do yoose really
want to know your value here... scroll...

Doug n' Dan... Dos Dummies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:26:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> yeah, right, on a different computer... L I A R !!!

Not necessarily. I have two computers and the kill files are
different on each one. Some posters have the honor of being in both,
but most aren't.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/08/2011 9:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:26:23 -0400, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> yeah, right, on a different computer... L I A R !!!

> Not necessarily. I have two computers and the kill files are
> different on each one. Some posters have the honor of being in both,
> but most aren't.

Me too. I used to have only my desk top but last fall I got a lap top.
Most of the inhabitants of my kill files are on both systems, but there
are a few who never got put into one or the other.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 10:22*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. *Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds. *
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>
> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.
>
> Lou

*Yawn*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:26:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:57:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>>> this group with no filters since July 17th.

>>I don't know why you bother, Lou! I don't use a kf but if I don't respond
>>then that person knows I am actively ignoring them
>>If I do, then that is MY choice

> Good for you, I do exactly the same. Lou is a drug infected brain
> damaged putz... only the infantile imbeciles who make believe they use
> them have a need to announce their killfiles... and then when they get
> caught squirm like the spineless worms they are.... yeah, right, on a
> different computer... L I A R !!!

fruitcake.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>> > In case anybody *does* care, I respond to people in my killfile.

>> Every so often I'll trim a level of insert arrows and respond to someone
>> in my kill file. Technically it will go in the thread as a response to
>> the article I read.

> Except for those geeky techies who look in the headers and discover
> missing references. My news client has a handy feature where it goes
> back and finds all preceding posts. I often want to do that anyway,
> before responding to someone who is in my killfile. I can thus reply to
> the actual post they made.

I used to do the occasional post and I thought I was being lazy to not
edited the references line. Now I have the excuse that I'm doing it as
an inside joke for you. Nice excuse, I'll keep it. ;^)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 12:26*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Good for you, I do exactly the same. *Lou is a drug infected brain
> damaged putz...

The one thing you can count on in this complex world is that BRokelyn
is completely and utterly wrong. Bravo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 05:27:52 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
> wrote:

>On Aug 18, 10:22*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th. *Someone seems to think
>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>> to killfile but still responds. *
>>
>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>
>> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.
>>
>> Loupy

>*Yawn*

Loupy reminds me of those whackos who drive an old hoopdee with a
bumper sticker proclaiming "My Mercedes Is At The Shop"... like the
web tv'ers who say they have a real PC too. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>> to killfile but still responds.
>>
>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>
>> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

>I don't know why you bother, Lou! I don't use a kf but if I don't respond
>then that person knows I am actively ignoring them
>If I do, then that is MY choice

It's really not a bother. Three clicks is all it takes. According to
the download reports I took out about a third of the foolish posts and
it saved me time reading useless crap. It also eliminated the
temptation to respond to people who are here to fight and not discuss
food or cooking and just like seeing there words published.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:16:04 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 18/08/2011 11:22 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>>
>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>> to killfile but still responds.
>>
>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>

>Don't worry Lou. It's not like you carried on a stupid argument and then
>announced that you were KFing people who disagreed with you, and then
>replied to people you KF'ed, or created a new user name

I've seen that too. Webtv domain was killfiled but I never had a
problem with her. I guess I do now. In the month I've been reading
with no filters I've seen nothing remarkable posted by her anyway.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:38:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 18/08/2011 9:08 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:26:23 -0400, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>> yeah, right, on a different computer... L I A R !!!

>> Not necessarily. I have two computers and the kill files are
>> different on each one. Some posters have the honor of being in both,
>> but most aren't.
>>

>Me too. I used to have only my desk top but last fall I got a lap top.
>Most of the inhabitants of my kill files are on both systems, but there
>are a few who never got put into one or the other.

This machine is Vista and it's Louise's. She had nothing but problems
with it and I'd hear screaming and cursing every morning when she'd
try to get to her mail before work. When I sold my weekend place I
had the money and got her a kick-ass Lenovo and a 2tb external hard
drive for us to back everything up on. The problem was she had the
puter fooched and I didn't know Vista. I'm not a geek so the only way
I was going to fix it was to start using it and solve problems as they
came up. It's running fine now and even though killfiles are easy and
fast to create there was no reason for me to do it on a machine I
won't be using for usenet and isn't mine.

shemp can call me a liar and whatever other crap he comes up with but
not too many people take hem seriously from what I can see.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:43:11 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:26:23 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:57:50 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>I don't know why you bother, Lou! I don't use a kf but if I don't respond
>>>then that person knows I am actively ignoring them
>>>If I do, then that is MY choice

>> Good for you, I do exactly the same. Lou is a drug infected brain
>> damaged putz... only the infantile imbeciles who make believe they use
>> them have a need to announce their killfiles... and then when they get
>> caught squirm like the spineless worms they are.... yeah, right, on a
>> different computer... L I A R !!!

>fruitcake.

That's kinda harsh on fruitcake and I don't dike fruitcake.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/08/2011 2:56 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:38:09 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Not necessarily. I have two computers and the kill files are
>>> different on each one. Some posters have the honor of being in both,
>>> but most aren't.
>>>

>> Me too. I used to have only my desk top but last fall I got a lap top.
>> Most of the inhabitants of my kill files are on both systems, but there
>> are a few who never got put into one or the other.

> This machine is Vista and it's Louise's. She had nothing but problems
> with it and I'd hear screaming and cursing every morning when she'd
> try to get to her mail before work. When I sold my weekend place I
> had the money and got her a kick-ass Lenovo and a 2tb external hard
> drive for us to back everything up on. The problem was she had the
> puter fooched and I didn't know Vista. I'm not a geek so the only way
> I was going to fix it was to start using it and solve problems as they
> came up. It's running fine now and even though killfiles are easy and
> fast to create there was no reason for me to do it on a machine I
> won't be using for usenet and isn't mine.
>
> shemp can call me a liar and whatever other crap he comes up with but
> not too many people take hem seriously from what I can see.

Well, it's an interesting thing about people who are quick to call
others liars. It is usually because they lie so much themselves that
they assume that others do the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th.

Why would anyone give a rat's b-hind... that's like announcing several
times since July 17th that you only have 20 more weeks to go for your
annual bath.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 18, 11:22*am, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
> this group with no filters since July 17th. *Someone seems to think
> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
> to killfile but still responds. *
>
> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>
> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
have kill-filed. If everyone who has that function were to type the
names of those to be ignored we would then be able to get a consensus
of who is the King of The Kill-Filed. I know it won't be me because
I'm too nice a guy, or at least put on a good front of it. But it
would be interesting for those who boast of their kill-file capacity
to announce the names of those they have killed in the file. I want
names.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe > wrote:

> It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
> actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
> have kill-filed.

At least in the distant Usenet past, newsreaders would gather
killfile information from the clients and send it back to the
mothership, where newsreader developers and possibly others (ISP's,
if they cared) could amuse themselves by looking over who was most
prominently getting killed.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/08/2011 9:13 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Aug 18, 11:22 am, Lou > wrote:
>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>> to killfile but still responds.
>>
>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>
>> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

> It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
> actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
> have kill-filed. If everyone who has that function were to type the
> names of those to be ignored we would then be able to get a consensus
> of who is the King of The Kill-Filed. I know it won't be me because
> I'm too nice a guy, or at least put on a good front of it. But it
> would be interesting for those who boast of their kill-file capacity
> to announce the names of those they have killed in the file. I want
> names.

As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
is in your killfile. People have different reasons for putting others
in their kill files.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 9:22*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Tommy Joe > wrote:

> > It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
> > actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
> > have kill-filed. *

> At least in the distant Usenet past, newsreaders would gather
> killfile information from the clients and send it back to the
> mothership, where newsreader developers and possibly others (ISP's,
> if they cared) could amuse themselves by looking over who was most
> prominently getting killed.

As far as I know I've never had that function on my machine. But
even if I did, I'm not sure I'd use it. It's not so hard to ignore
instigators if the group is otherwise busy. Everyone seems to have a
bone to pick; they want everything their way. I realize this is a
cooking group, but there are those who are opposed to threads that
drift away from the original topic. Actually, it is that drift that
appeals most to me. I don't mean intentionally going in and forcing
the drift, I'm talking more about the natural way a topic drifts from
one thing to another. I saw this to its max in the comedy group I
used to go to before the original cast of characters split from the
group and created a moderated group of their own. I went to that
group a few times to check it out - no posting. Within several months
they were kaput. Let's be honest, a bit of this and a bit of that is
necessary to make anything more interesting. This place is quite free
of instigators compared to the comedy group, where it got so bad that
the original idiots of the group began to get paranoid about anybody
new coming in. Everyone was a troll unless they agreed with the
established members of the group. One time they even had a get-to-
gether in Hollywood where they came from all over and stayed in the
Orchid Hotel and got to know each other. That only made it worse.
From that point on it seemed that anyone who had not met each other in
person had no business on the group. It was nuts. So they went and
got their own moderated group and it died, and the one they left is
still alive but as good as dead. As far as I can see this is a pretty
healthy group, not that I'm an authority on newsgroups or anything. I
kill-file no one. But one day I might kill, who knows?

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 9:28*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
> is in your killfile. *People have different reasons for putting others
> in their kill files.

I understand and agree. But if they're going to go around talking
about it all the time, then they should back it up by announcing for
all to hear who they have elected to kill-file. I'm not saying it
should be mandatory (I don't like that word period), only that I'd
like to see them back up their constant kill-file talk by actually
naming who they've put in it. It would be interesting.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
> is in your killfile. People have different reasons for putting others in
> their kill files.

Heh... You announced to the world when you put me in your killfile (on May
28).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
> > is in your killfile. People have different reasons for putting others in
> > their kill files.

> Heh... You announced to the world when you put me in your killfile (on May
> 28).

It's a general rule, Bob. There are always exceptions.

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:46:51 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
> > is in your killfile. People have different reasons for putting others in
> > their kill files.

> Heh... You announced to the world when you put me in your killfile (on May
> 28).

You've been a frequent visitor to mine, so what?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:45:45 -0700, meh > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:13:09 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe > wrote:
>

> > It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
> >actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
> >have kill-filed.

> I only have 2 users currently filtered.
>
> Sqwertz, and chemo.
>
> I have plenty of subjects in the kill file.

Yeah, I hear you. I kill file threads quite often. Enough is enough
and when I'm up to my eyeballs - I kill it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Tommy Joe > wrote:
>
>> It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
>> actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
>> have kill-filed.

> At least in the distant Usenet past, newsreaders would gather
> killfile information from the clients and send it back to the
> mothership, where newsreader developers and possibly others (ISP's,
> if they cared) could amuse themselves by looking over who was most
> prominently getting killed.

Can you remember when people used to complain bitterly that you had 'broken
their killfile' by responding to posters in it?)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 5:26*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> Can you remember when people used to complain bitterly that you had 'broken
> their killfile' by responding to posters in it?)

That's funny stuff, like, "If you talk to him, then I'm not going
to talk to you." I think the kill-file is ridiculous, but if it works
for someone, ok, I'm not going to argue about it. Killing a thread
also makes little sense to me. Why kill what you can ignore? It's
like being dragged into court on a murder charge and your defense is,
"Your Honor, I had to kill the guy, I just couldn't ignore him."

If you can't ignore him, snore him - snore him deep to eternal sleep,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 19, 9:45*pm, meh > wrote:

> I only have 2 users currently filtered.
>
> Sqwertz, and chemo. *

I will try as hard as humanly possible to not communicate with
those two now that you have revealed their kill-file status. From
this point forth I vow to never speak to either Sqwertz or Chemo even
if their posts are the most interesting and worthy I've ever seen.
Just kidding.

About 30 years ago I hung out in a poolroom where I also worked
part-time. I knew everyone there and vice versa. I thought of an
idea similar to the one I had for you and others to reveal their kill-
file subjects. It was a game I thought of where a list of 20 names
(example) of poolroom regulars were written on the right-hand side of
a sheet of paper. Then, on the left side would be a list of maybe 50
adjectives such as "greedy" or "loud" or "vulgar" or "pig-like" - but
also a few positive adjectives thrown in to keep it balanced. The
idea would be that all 20 people on the list would be allowed to go
down the list and apply two adjectives to each person that they
thought best suited them. I thought it would be interesting to see
what consensus adjectives would go to which people. Everyone nixed
the idea because they thought it was too volatile and provocative, and
maybe they were right - but I liked the idea and still think it's an
interesting and honest concept.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/08/2011 11:28 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 19/08/2011 9:13 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
>> On Aug 18, 11:22 am, Lou > wrote:
>>> I've mentioned several times in different threads I've been reading
>>> this group with no filters since July 17th. Someone seems to think
>>> they busted me because I responded to her and I'll deal with that post
>>> after I do some chores but I don't want to be in the camp that claims
>>> to killfile but still responds.
>>>
>>> I've been cleaning and organizing this machine and I'll be able to get
>>> back to my own computer next week and I'm not sure how I'll handle the
>>> filters I have on that but for now I see every post.
>>>
>>> Nobody cares but I hope that clears thing up.

>> It would be interesting if everyone who has a kill-file and
>> actually uses it would type for all to see the names of those they
>> have kill-filed. If everyone who has that function were to type the
>> names of those to be ignored we would then be able to get a consensus
>> of who is the King of The Kill-Filed. I know it won't be me because
>> I'm too nice a guy, or at least put on a good front of it. But it
>> would be interesting for those who boast of their kill-file capacity
>> to announce the names of those they have killed in the file. I want
>> names.
>>

> As a general rule, it is childish and tacky to announce to the world who
> is in your killfile. People have different reasons for putting others in
> their kill files.

I agree. I quite often put people in my killfile simply because they add
nothing to the general discussion. Also add people who are just plain
nasty. No need to announce that. Those killfiled soon get the message if
they have even half a clue.

I often filter out threads that I have no interest in, especially on
forums such as RFC where a hell of a lot of new posts appear every day.
It's hard to keep up so I prune on the basis of interest.

One problem I find with killfiles is that, in the case of my newsreader
at least, it makes a mess of threads. Can get difficult to work out who
is addressing what if intermediate posts are missing.

Only 21 denizens for this forum in my killfile at the present time and
some of those would be persistent spammers.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/08/2011 9:30 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Aug 19, 9:45 pm, > wrote:
>
>> I only have 2 users currently filtered.
>>
>> Sqwertz, and chemo.

> I will try as hard as humanly possible to not communicate with
> those two now that you have revealed their kill-file status. From
> this point forth I vow to never speak to either Sqwertz or Chemo even
> if their posts are the most interesting and worthy I've ever seen.
> Just kidding.
>
> About 30 years ago I hung out in a poolroom where I also worked
> part-time. I knew everyone there and vice versa. I thought of an
> idea similar to the one I had for you and others to reveal their kill-
> file subjects. It was a game I thought of where a list of 20 names
> (example) of poolroom regulars were written on the right-hand side of
> a sheet of paper. Then, on the left side would be a list of maybe 50
> adjectives such as "greedy" or "loud" or "vulgar" or "pig-like" - but
> also a few positive adjectives thrown in to keep it balanced. The
> idea would be that all 20 people on the list would be allowed to go
> down the list and apply two adjectives to each person that they
> thought best suited them. I thought it would be interesting to see
> what consensus adjectives would go to which people. Everyone nixed
> the idea because they thought it was too volatile and provocative, and
> maybe they were right - but I liked the idea and still think it's an
> interesting and honest concept.
>
> TJ

Been a long time since I ventured into a poolroom. Probably about 45 -
50 years now. That was when my brother was playing competitive pool. I
never reached his standard so I stopped frequenting the poolhalls. From
the characters I used to know there, no way would I be putting anything
of a derogatory nature down on paper about them. Might have ended up
with a horse's head in my bed!

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 04:22:41 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

>On Aug 20, 5:26*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Can you remember when people used to complain bitterly that you had 'broken
>> their killfile' by responding to posters in it?)

>"If you talk to him, then I'm not going
>to talk to you." I think the kill-file is ridiculous,

Haven't you caught on yet that some 70% of RFC'ers are infantile
ignoranuses, and a good 10% are not who they say they are, they are
are socks posting under several aliases.

>Why kill what you can ignore?

'Zactly!

A little trick that works well... whenever I open a thread and see
that one or two people have made like more than a half dozen posts
that means it's not an intelligent discussion so I don't read any of
it, just delete the entire thread unread. Some of the morons I read
occasionally for twilight zone entertainment only, I don't respond.
And I keep my killfile in my head, those few are really dead, not only
don't I ever open their posts but I never refer to them for any reason
whatsoever, it's as though they never existed. It seems to me that
maintaining a killfile indicates one is far more an asshole than those
they killfile... in RL they are certifiably insane.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Tommy Joe > wrote:

> On Aug 20, 5:26*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > Can you remember when people used to complain bitterly that you had 'broken
> > their killfile' by responding to posters in it?)

> That's funny stuff, like, "If you talk to him, then I'm not going
> to talk to you." I think the kill-file is ridiculous, but if it works
> for someone, ok, I'm not going to argue about it. Killing a thread
> also makes little sense to me. Why kill what you can ignore? It's
> like being dragged into court on a murder charge and your defense is,
> "Your Honor, I had to kill the guy, I just couldn't ignore him."

Using the word "kill" is definitely melodramatic. It's just an
automated way of ignoring something. Nothing different. My killfile
exists on my machine only. Nobody else knows about it, and it doesn't
affect anybody else (unless I announce it).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 08:11:30 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article
>,
> Tommy Joe > wrote:
>
>> On Aug 20, 5:26*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>
>> > Can you remember when people used to complain bitterly that you had 'broken
>> > their killfile' by responding to posters in it?)

>> That's funny stuff, like, "If you talk to him, then I'm not going
>> to talk to you." I think the kill-file is ridiculous, but if it works
>> for someone, ok, I'm not going to argue about it. Killing a thread
>> also makes little sense to me. Why kill what you can ignore? It's
>> like being dragged into court on a murder charge and your defense is,
>> "Your Honor, I had to kill the guy, I just couldn't ignore him."

>Using the word "kill" is definitely melodramatic. It's just an
>automated way of ignoring something. Nothing different. My killfile
>exists on my machine only. Nobody else knows about it, and it doesn't
>affect anybody else (unless I announce it).

You just did... for the upteenth time. duh Your killfile is the only
thing in your life you have any control over and not even that, what
with all your machinations of making constant changes it controls
you... you spineless jellyfish. Well, yoose killfilers may as well,
yoose gotta do something, yoose sure know nothing about cooking/food.
You can bet your bippee the killfilers do nothing but talk their
killfiles at every newsgroup where they subscribe. Whose got the
biggest badest killfile... did you take your killfile viagra today....
ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

I have to empty my kill file cybercat General Cooking 26 16-05-2010 01:42 AM
Need instructions for how to 'kill-file' Dee Randall General Cooking 14 24-05-2005 05:13 AM
Kill-file growth Midlife Wine 19 08-04-2005 01:54 PM
Kill-file growth Midlife Wine 0 07-04-2005 03:13 AM
kill file functions xenophobe Wine 1 14-03-2005 04:06 AM