Member

Default How much cooking oil is actually in a serving of fried food?

Hi,

I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?

Regards
__________________
Commercial coffee machines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wingmark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much
> of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola
> oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there
> isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?
>
> Regards

There used to be an old Wesson Oil commercial that measured the oil before
and after cooking. Do that and you'll know. But really what does it
matter? Unless of course you are on a low fat diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much
>> of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola
>> oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there
>> isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?

> There used to be an old Wesson Oil commercial that measured the oil
> before and after cooking. Do that and you'll know.

Good move. And keep in mind that one has to weigh before & after both the
oil in the pan and the kitchen paper where the fried thing got put to
drain/drip the excess oil. Then it should cover all the oil amount.

> But really what does it matter? Unless of course you are on a low fat
> diet.

Curiosity killed more than one cat
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:08:25 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much
>>> of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola
>>> oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there
>>> isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?

>> There used to be an old Wesson Oil commercial that measured the oil
>> before and after cooking. Do that and you'll know.

>Good move. And keep in mind that one has to weigh before & after both the
>oil in the pan and the kitchen paper where the fried thing got put to
>drain/drip the excess oil. Then it should cover all the oil amount.
>
>> But really what does it matter? Unless of course you are on a low fat
>> diet.

>Curiosity killed more than one cat

That curiosity tickled me just last night. I made some mackerel
patties that were pretty healthy for the most part-- then I tossed
them into a few tablespoons of oil to cook them.

Isn't there also a difference [healthwise] between the raw oil and
oil that has reached a high temp? What is the temp -- and is it
before or after bread crumbs brown up nicely?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:08:25 +0200, ViLco wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much
>>> of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola
>>> oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there
>>> isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?

>> There used to be an old Wesson Oil commercial that measured the oil
>> before and after cooking. Do that and you'll know.

> Good move. And keep in mind that one has to weigh before & after both the
> oil in the pan and the kitchen paper where the fried thing got put to
> drain/drip the excess oil. Then it should cover all the oil amount.
>
>> But really what does it matter? Unless of course you are on a low fat
>> diet.

> Curiosity killed more than one cat

damn good thing, too.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>> Curiosity killed more than one cat

> That curiosity tickled me just last night. I made some mackerel
> patties that were pretty healthy for the most part-- then I tossed
> them into a few tablespoons of oil to cook them.
>
> Isn't there also a difference [healthwise] between the raw oil and
> oil that has reached a high temp?

Even when not reaching the smoke point, oils develop toxins while they are
at high temperature.

> What is the temp -- and is it before or after bread crumbs brown up
> nicely?

One can fry between 160°C and 180°C, it depends on what you're reying. If
you just need to make crumbs brown up the best is quickly frying at 180°C,
if you also need to actualy cook the inner part then you have to reduce the
temp to allow a longer time.
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wingmark > wrote:

>I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much of
>the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola oil
>and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there isn't
>much oil left in the food. What do you think?

You could measure it (the oil before and after). Or you could go
to the USDA website and come up with typical amounts of fat calorie
content for fries and fried chicken. Either way you're only getting
a rough idea. I would guess there's up to a tablespoon of oil in a large
serving of fries, or a large piece of chicken.

If you're measuring fat and/or calories in your diet this could be
important, but it's only really important if you're eating these fried
foods all the time.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 12:06*am, wingmark >
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much of
> the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola oil
> and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there isn't
> much oil left in the food. What do you think?
>
> Regards
>
> --
> wingmark

You can reduce the amount of fat that gets into the food by not
cooking it at too low a temp. If you're in the "happy" temperature
range, the food won't absorb very much oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 11, 3:08*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> >> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much
> >> of the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola
> >> oil and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there
> >> isn't much oil left in the food. What do you think?

> > There used to be an old Wesson Oil commercial that measured the oil
> > before and after cooking. *Do that and you'll know.

> Good move. And keep in mind that one has to weigh before & after both the
> oil in the pan and the kitchen paper where the fried thing got put to
> drain/drip the excess oil. Then it should cover all the oil amount.
>
> > But really what does it matter? *Unless of course you are on a low fat
> > diet.

> Curiosity killed more than one cat
> --
> ViLco
> Let the liquor do the thinking

Yeah but...satisfaction brought him back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in :

> One can fry between 160°C and 180°C, it depends on what you're reying.
> If you just need to make crumbs brown up the best is quickly frying at
> 180°C, if you also need to actualy cook the inner part then you have
> to reduce the temp to allow a longer time.

I assume you meant 180°F?
Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

==

> One can fry between 160°C and 180°C, it depends on what you're reying.
> If you just need to make crumbs brown up the best is quickly frying at
> 180°C, if you also need to actualy cook the inner part then you have
> to reduce the temp to allow a longer time.

Sorry, ViLco. I "corrected" your temp, but I fouled up royally. You are
correct, of course.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 10, 7:06*pm, wingmark >
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am deep frying a serving of fries and chicken and wondered how much of
> the cooking oil is actually in the cooked food. I am using Canola oil
> and after the food is cooked and drained I am thinking that there isn't
> much oil left in the food. What do you think?
>
> Regards
>
> --
> wingmark

It's a little tricky to measure since some oil gets rendered out of
the chicken and displaces the frying oil. My guess is that this method
would work fine for something like a doughnut.