Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Luddites of the World Unite

Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to
the NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are
already appearing as e-mails:

http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:38:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:

> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to
> the NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are
> already appearing as e-mails:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh

dear god.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to the
> NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are already
> appearing as e-mails:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh
> --
>
> James Silverton, Potomac

I pretty much shop for everything online so paper receipts aren't an issue.
The exception is groceries and locally grown produce. When I buy groceries
I want a paper receipt. Why? In case something is missing. Maybe they
didn't bag something I bought. I check it against my list. Yes, I make
lists! Or it could be I forgot to buy something.

There was a fascinating article in Smithsonian Magazine about Luddites a few
months ago. Those people had a point

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:46:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Smithsonian Magazine

I should subscribe to that. Mom did and they made good reading before
I went to sleep whenever I visited her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:46:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Smithsonian Magazine

> I should subscribe to that. Mom did and they made good reading before
> I went to sleep whenever I visited her.
>
> --

It's a great magazine. The wonderful thing about it is the articles
continue from one page to the next. None of that "continued on page 82"
stuff. Turn the page, there's the article continued. And the photographs
are wonderful.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to the
>> NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are already
>> appearing as e-mails:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh
>> --
>>
>> James Silverton, Potomac
>>

>I pretty much shop for everything online so paper receipts aren't an issue.
>The exception is groceries and locally grown produce.

On line shopping creates at least twice as much paper as any other
method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:58:56 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:38:50 -0400, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to
>> the NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are
>> already appearing as e-mails:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh

>dear god.

That's silly... on-line shopping creates at least two paper receipts;
the invoice in a plastic pouch attached to the outside of the package,
and an actual receipt inside the package, plus usually another receipt
that's part of the return paperwork... then of course there's a
catalog included that one really doesn't need, and there's all the
packaging, often a carton inside a carton, plus crumpled paper
cushioning. So what if you don't print out your receipt. And how
many times does an order come as separate shipments... doubles
everything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:46:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to
>>> the
>>> NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are already
>>> appearing as e-mails:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh
>>> --
>>>
>>> James Silverton, Potomac
>>>

>>I pretty much shop for everything online so paper receipts aren't an
>>issue.
>>The exception is groceries and locally grown produce.

> On line shopping creates at least twice as much paper as any other
> method.

Creates it for whom? Anyway, I'm not worried about paper. Paper is easily
recycled. The printer paper I use is recycled. Worry about people who buy
all that bottled water (or soda) in plastic bottles.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:11:12 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> The printer paper I use is recycled. Worry about people who buy
> all that bottled water (or soda) in plastic bottles.

Water is recycled too... it just takes longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:11:12 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> The printer paper I use is recycled. Worry about people who buy
>> all that bottled water (or soda) in plastic bottles.

> Water is recycled too... it just takes longer.

I just love the way you ignore the basic premise of a post. I was talking
about the plastic bottles, not the content of the bottles.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 18:11:12 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The printer paper I use is recycled. Worry about people who buy
>>> all that bottled water (or soda) in plastic bottles.

>> Water is recycled too... it just takes longer.
>>

> I just love the way you ignore the basic premise of a post.

She IS very good at that, isn't she?

> I was
> talking about the plastic bottles, not the content of the bottles.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James provided:

> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to the
> NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are already
> appearing as e-mails:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh

Funny you should bring that up. I pay my car insurance by lump sum every six
months, and the payments were due early this month. The receipt came by
e-mail.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> There was a fascinating article in Smithsonian Magazine about
> Luddites a few months ago. Those people had a point

It was more like the blunt end of a hammer.

--
"War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful and
terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless."

Peter Ustinov
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2011 8:30 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> James provided:
>
>> Luddites of the World Unite (that sometimes includes me!) According to the
>> NY Times, paper receipts are on their way out and receipts are already
>> appearing as e-mails:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3ufs8gh

> Funny you should bring that up. I pay my car insurance by lump sum every six
> months, and the payments were due early this month. The receipt came by
> e-mail.

Hell, you're lucky to get a receipt! I only get a record from the online
banking service that I use to pay the insurance. The online banking is
rather useful since it allows me to pay the house and car insurance, two
weeks from the due dates not *two months* from when the statement arrives.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:34:29 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> The online banking is
> rather useful since it allows me to pay the house and car insurance, two
> weeks from the due dates not *two months* from when the statement arrives.

Magazine renewals are annoyingly early too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 3:45*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> news
> > wrote:

> >> The printer paper I use is recycled. *Worry about people who buy
> >> all that bottled water (or soda) in plastic bottles.

> > Water is recycled too... it just takes longer.

> I just love the way you ignore the basic premise of a post. *I was talking
> about the plastic bottles, not the content of the bottles.
>
> Jill

god you are such a bitch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 1:50*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> news
> > wrote:

> >> Smithsonian Magazine

> It's a great magazine. *The wonderful thing about it is the articles
> continue from one page to the next. *None of that "continued on page 82"
> stuff. *Turn the page, there's the article continued. *

Oh yeah....I remember that aspect. Why can't they all do that? I
gave it many years as Xmas gifts and it was always welcome.