Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The sweet potato revolution is here

Sweet potatoes are taking over.

Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I can leave the maple syrup off. (I know you find it hard to believe but I
really don't like sweets except on rare occasions). When I don't bake sweet
potatoes I usually make shoestring fries.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2011 11:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
>> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>>
>> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> I can leave the maple syrup off. (I know you find it hard to believe but
> I really don't like sweets except on rare occasions). When I don't bake
> sweet potatoes I usually make shoestring fries.

IMHO, the only way to eat sweet potatoes is Tempura fried slices and I'm
almost addicted to those.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2011 10:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Sweet potatoes have tons of sugar "built in" so I would leave out the
syrup. My favorite way to do sweet potatoes is to bake them until the
sugar caramelizes and starts to ooze out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...maple-syrup-li
> ght-226654
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

I noticed boxes of Betty Crocker instant mashed sweet potatoes in the
supermarket a week or so back.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, George >
wrote:

> On 8/7/2011 10:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
> > Sweet potatoes are taking over.
> >
> > Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> > http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...d-maple-syrup-
> > light-226654
> >

> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
> >

> Sweet potatoes have tons of sugar "built in" so I would leave out the
> syrup. My favorite way to do sweet potatoes is to bake them until the
> sugar caramelizes and starts to ooze out.

I was curious about the sugar, so looked it up in the handy dandy USDA
database. For baked potatoes, regular and sweet, here are percentages:

reg sweet
=== =====

water 75 76
protein 2.5 2
carb 21 21
sugar 1 11

Most of the sugar in the sweet potato (7 out of 11) is maltose, which
has the highest glycemic index of any substance I've ever seen. Strange.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...maple-syrup-li
> ght-226654

I do not understand the need to load an already sweet vegetable with
sugary stuff. Leave the cinnamon and maple syrup off and enjoy the
natural sweetness.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2011 8:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

If you bake s.p. wedges in the oven with olive oil and your favorite
spice blend (or just s&P) you won't need any sweetener. They will
caramelize surprisingly sweet.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in message
> On 8/7/2011 8:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>>
>> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>>

> If you bake s.p. wedges in the oven with olive oil and your favorite spice
> blend (or just s&P) you won't need any sweetener. They will
> caramelize surprisingly sweet.
>
> gloria p

In Italy they make a gelato with olive oil.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...p-light-226654

I like them without added sugar though.

I once did a side-by-side taste test (I like doing those) with a reddish an
brownish sweet potato, and the reddish one was much more sweet so that's all
I use now.

Anyone else do any side-by-side comparisons?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 15:18:14 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

> Anyone else do any side-by-side comparisons?

No, but IMO the sweetness goes "white > orange > red". Red are my
favorite too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >, George >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/7/2011 10:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> > Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>> >
>> > Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
>> > http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...d-maple-syrup-
>> > light-226654
>> >

>> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
>> >

>> Sweet potatoes have tons of sugar "built in" so I would leave out the
>> syrup. My favorite way to do sweet potatoes is to bake them until the
>> sugar caramelizes and starts to ooze out.

> I was curious about the sugar, so looked it up in the handy dandy USDA
> database. For baked potatoes, regular and sweet, here are percentages:
>
> reg sweet
> === =====
>
> water 75 76
> protein 2.5 2
> carb 21 21
> sugar 1 11
>
> Most of the sugar in the sweet potato (7 out of 11) is maltose, which
> has the highest glycemic index of any substance I've ever seen. Strange.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

They don't call them "sweet potatoes" for nothing, Dan!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:25:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> They don't call them "sweet potatoes" for nothing, Dan!

I made a sweet potato souffle to go with my pork chops for last
night's dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:25:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> They don't call them "sweet potatoes" for nothing, Dan!

> I made a sweet potato souffle to go with my pork chops for last
> night's dinner.
>
> --

I'd like that recipe, please!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:46:25 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:25:57 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> They don't call them "sweet potatoes" for nothing, Dan!

> > I made a sweet potato souffle to go with my pork chops for last
> > night's dinner.
> >
> > --

> I'd like that recipe, please!

Sorry to disappoint, but I winged it. Contrary to popular opinion, a
souffle isn't something that needs exact measurements or precision
handling and it's a good way to use up leftovers.

Here's how I did it: I used one large sweet potato - baked (1.5 to 2
cups, mashed), some roux (more or less depending on how many servings
you want to make), freshly grated parmesan cheese (I used about 1/4c).
Mix it all together. Separate 2 eggs. Mix the yolks into the sweet
potato mixture, whip the whites to stiff but not dry and fold them in.
Butter a baking or souffle dish well and "dust" with more grated
parmesan cheese. Place in the bottom third of a (preheated) oven and
bake at 400-425° F for 20-30 minutes or until it's puffed and browning
slightly on top. The shallower and wider the pan, the less time
you'll need... but you knew that already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:46:25 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I made a sweet potato souffle to go with my pork chops for last
>> > night's dinner.
>> >
>> > --

>> I'd like that recipe, please!
>>

> Sorry to disappoint, but I winged it. Contrary to popular opinion, a
> souffle isn't something that needs exact measurements or precision
> handling and it's a good way to use up leftovers.
>
> Here's how I did it: I used one large sweet potato - baked (1.5 to 2
> cups, mashed), some roux (more or less depending on how many servings
> you want to make), freshly grated parmesan cheese (I used about 1/4c).
> Mix it all together. Separate 2 eggs. Mix the yolks into the sweet
> potato mixture, whip the whites to stiff but not dry and fold them in.
> Butter a baking or souffle dish well and "dust" with more grated
> parmesan cheese. Place in the bottom third of a (preheated) oven and
> bake at 400-425° F for 20-30 minutes or until it's puffed and browning
> slightly on top. The shallower and wider the pan, the less time
> you'll need... but you knew that already.
>
> --

Thanks! I needed a little guidance. I've only ever just made cheese
souffles or spinach souffles.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:17:18 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> Thanks! I needed a little guidance. I've only ever just made cheese
> souffles or spinach souffles.

No problem! If you've made cheese or spinach and feel comfortable
with the process, then you can branch out easily. Those were the
first souffles I made too - and after I realized they were just
variations on a theme, I took it from there.

FYI: souffles, like mac & cheese, are side dishes and never the main
event (for me).

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 12:30*pm, George > wrote:
> On 8/7/2011 10:47 AM, Christopher M. wrote:> Sweet potatoes are taking over.
>
> > Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> >http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...amon-and-maple...

> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Sweet potatoes have tons of sugar "built in" so I would leave out the
> syrup. My favorite way to do sweet potatoes is to bake them until the
> sugar caramelizes and starts to ooze out.

That isn't sugar, it's (sweet) sap. I like them that way too. I slice
them lengthwise, butter them lightly, and eat them with the skins.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 4:14*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"Christopher M." > wrote:
>
> > Sweet potatoes are taking over.

> > Sweet potato fries with maple syrup (recipe):
> >http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-pot...amon-and-maple...
> > ght-226654

> I do not understand the need to load an already sweet vegetable with
> sugary stuff. *Leave the cinnamon and maple syrup off and enjoy the
> natural sweetness.
>
> Miche

Some people will sugar their maple syrup. I buy sugar in five pound
bags because my storage container holds that much. The last refill was
about 8 years ago and I still have over a third.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:
> Miche > wrote:
>> *"Christopher M." > wrote:

>> > Sweet potatoes are taking over.

Even though they are sweeter than regular potatoes they are listed as
lower glycemic load. I've seen them listed as having a slightly lower
total carb count in some books, the same total carb count in other
books.

>> I do not understand the need to load an already sweet vegetable with
>> sugary stuff. *Leave the cinnamon and maple syrup off and enjoy the
>> natural sweetness.

Candied "yams" is an American traditional Thanksgiving dish. I don't
get it and I also prefer them straight but it is popular.

> Some people will sugar their maple syrup.

Unless used to stretch it out because of the expense of real maple,
shudder.