Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plumbing problems

All hell broke loose in my kitchen yesterday morning. I had had my
morning shower, ate my breakfast and was on the computer when my wife
came down after her shower and was alarmed to see water leaking from the
kitchen ceiling. It was raining at the time. I just had a new rook
installed last month and this was the first heavy rain to test it, but
it wasn't raining hard enough for a leak like that.

My Mr.Fixit neighbour was out so I called a plumber. Mt water pressure
system was not kicking in, and the rate of flow was slowing, so it was
more likely a drain than a feed line.

The plumber arrived within an hour, had a look around and suggested the
main stack to the upstairs bathroom was shot and had to be replaced.
That is a big job and a lot of expense,... and he could not do it until
next Tuesday. I could not wait that long. He recommended a couple guys
who might be able to handle it right. Neither could do it. After a half
dozen calls I found someone who could look at it after 3 pm and do the
work this morning.

The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple holes
in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs. Luckily,
he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink and tub was an
old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That meant a much smaller
job that he could do right away. He had to removed about a foot of pipe
and replaced it with plastic. We checked and everything looked good. So
the leak was fixed and the bill was only $175.

This morning I ran some errands by bicycle. When I got home my wife was
frantic about a leak in the dining room ceiling. She wanted to call the
plumber back. I was confident that the leak was repaired, but there was
likely some water that had leaked across to the other side of the wall.
I drilled a small hole where the ceiling was wet and have a trickle of
water and a pail under it. I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:01:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>All hell broke loose in my kitchen yesterday morning. I had had my
>morning shower, ate my breakfast and was on the computer when my wife
>came down after her shower and was alarmed to see water leaking from the
> kitchen ceiling. It was raining at the time. I just had a new rook
>installed last month and this was the first heavy rain to test it, but
>it wasn't raining hard enough for a leak like that.
>
>My Mr.Fixit neighbour was out so I called a plumber. Mt water pressure
>system was not kicking in, and the rate of flow was slowing, so it was
>more likely a drain than a feed line.
>
>The plumber arrived within an hour, had a look around and suggested the
>main stack to the upstairs bathroom was shot and had to be replaced.
>That is a big job and a lot of expense,... and he could not do it until
>next Tuesday. I could not wait that long. He recommended a couple guys
>who might be able to handle it right. Neither could do it. After a half
>dozen calls I found someone who could look at it after 3 pm and do the
>work this morning.
>
>The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
>thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple holes
>in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs. Luckily,
>he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink and tub was an
>old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That meant a much smaller
>job that he could do right away. He had to removed about a foot of pipe
>and replaced it with plastic. We checked and everything looked good. So
>the leak was fixed and the bill was only $175.
>

>This morning I ran some errands by bicycle. When I got home my wife was
>frantic about a leak in the dining room ceiling. She wanted to call the
>plumber back. I was confident that the leak was repaired, but there was
>likely some water that had leaked across to the other side of the wall.
>I drilled a small hole where the ceiling was wet and have a trickle of
>water and a pail under it. I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.

Are you on your own private well or city water? If on your own well
check your pressure setting, it may have changed. If on city water
call them and have them check that your pressure hasn't recently been
increased (they may have done some work to improve flow in your area).
Older homes are very prone to leaks and burst pipes when pressure is
increased just a wee bit. It sounds like your house needs a lot more
upgrading than a simple patch job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> All hell broke loose in my kitchen yesterday morning. I had had my
> morning shower, ate my breakfast and was on the computer when my wife
> came down after her shower and was alarmed to see water leaking from the
> kitchen ceiling. It was raining at the time. I just had a new rook
> installed last month and this was the first heavy rain to test it, but
> it wasn't raining hard enough for a leak like that.
>
> My Mr.Fixit neighbour was out so I called a plumber. Mt water pressure
> system was not kicking in, and the rate of flow was slowing, so it was
> more likely a drain than a feed line.
>
> The plumber arrived within an hour, had a look around and suggested the
> main stack to the upstairs bathroom was shot and had to be replaced.
> That is a big job and a lot of expense,... and he could not do it until
> next Tuesday. I could not wait that long. He recommended a couple guys
> who might be able to handle it right. Neither could do it. After a half
> dozen calls I found someone who could look at it after 3 pm and do the
> work this morning.
>
> The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
> thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple holes
> in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs. Luckily,
> he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink and tub was an
> old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That meant a much smaller
> job that he could do right away. He had to removed about a foot of pipe
> and replaced it with plastic. We checked and everything looked good. So
> the leak was fixed and the bill was only $175.
>
> This morning I ran some errands by bicycle. When I got home my wife was
> frantic about a leak in the dining room ceiling. She wanted to call the
> plumber back. I was confident that the leak was repaired, but there was
> likely some water that had leaked across to the other side of the wall.
> I drilled a small hole where the ceiling was wet and have a trickle of
> water and a pail under it. I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.

Fun stuff. Inaccessible plumbing issues are never fun to diagnose,
repair and patch up after. I would agree that it's unlikely you had two
separate leaks in such a short time and that water from the original
leak may have puddled and only shown up later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2011 12:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> This morning I ran some errands by bicycle. When I got home my wife was
>> frantic about a leak in the dining room ceiling. She wanted to call the
>> plumber back. I was confident that the leak was repaired, but there was
>> likely some water that had leaked across to the other side of the wall.
>> I drilled a small hole where the ceiling was wet and have a trickle of
>> water and a pail under it. I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.

> Are you on your own private well or city water? If on your own well
> check your pressure setting, it may have changed. If on city water
> call them and have them check that your pressure hasn't recently been
> increased (they may have done some work to improve flow in your area).
> Older homes are very prone to leaks and burst pipes when pressure is
> increased just a wee bit. It sounds like your house needs a lot more
> upgrading than a simple patch job.

I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
nothing to do with the the feed lines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2011 1:10 PM, Pete C. wrote:

>> This morning I ran some errands by bicycle. When I got home my wife was
>> frantic about a leak in the dining room ceiling. She wanted to call the
>> plumber back. I was confident that the leak was repaired, but there was
>> likely some water that had leaked across to the other side of the wall.
>> I drilled a small hole where the ceiling was wet and have a trickle of
>> water and a pail under it. I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.

> Fun stuff. Inaccessible plumbing issues are never fun to diagnose,
> repair and patch up after. I would agree that it's unlikely you had two
> separate leaks in such a short time and that water from the original
> leak may have puddled and only shown up later.

It just got worse. I had drilled a hole to give the water an exit and
it stopped dripping after a while. I was out on my bicycle for a couple
hours and there was no more dripping. Everything looked good. Then my
wife used the sink in the upstairs bathroom and I could hear it
dripping again. That means another call to the plumber. Monday is a
holiday so they will be here Tuesday at 9 am. More money ;-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>nothing to do with the the feed lines.

In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2011 1:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave > wrote:
>
>> I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>> nothing to do with the the feed lines.

> In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
> sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
> alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
> I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.

The plumber who was here blames drain cleaners. He said they should
never be used. I have replaced all the sinks in my house over the years
and the old metal pieces were all in rough shape. Plastic, OTH, seems
to last much longer.

The only feed pipe problem I have encountered was at a friend's place.
The plastic supply line to the upstairs toilet had sprung a hairline
crack and there was a fine mist spraying out of it. The problem was that
the house had been vacant for a week or two. He had been on a work
exchange program in Ontario, was bicycling back, meeting his wife in
Saskatchewan and visiting family. We were going to be there a few days
ahead. It was not a big leak, but it went on long enough to do
considerable damage. Thanks to insurance it was all done by the time he
got back a few days later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>>nothing to do with the the feed lines.

> In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
> sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
> alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
> I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.
>
> Steve

We had a hurricane just stall and sit here; I believe it was Georges. The
wind and rain seemed to blow sideways for hours. Afterwards, our roof
appeared unharmed.
Wrong.
One by one the ceilings began to look stained. One by one they turned loose
and fell to the floor. The rain had blown in the attic vents. Nothing we
could do but let 'em fall. So many people without any roof at all that we
had to wait until the desperate were taken care of. Scared the Hell out of
the cat. They do need their rest, you know? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2011 12:44 PM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave > wrote:
>
>> I am on a well and cistern. The problem was in a drain, so it has
>> nothing to do with the the feed lines.

> In my experience drain pipes fail more often then feed pipes. Not
> sure why, but it might be the inside of the pipe is more prone to
> alternate exposure to water and air and that this promotes corrosion.
> I've often seen a drain pipe corroded clear through, but not feed pipes.

Last Wednesday, €Ž3:30 AM, Becca wakes me up to say that the laminate
floor in the bathroom is "squishy". Remove bathroom door, remove linen
cabinet to get at wall behind shower... find leak, clean up, go back to
bed. Called the plumber at 7 AM and he was there by 10 AM.

€ŽThe culprit was a 30 year old copper pipe feed line.... corroded and
split at a joint. I am not good at sweating copper joints... but I got
the wall opened and clear so the plumber had easy access so it took him
less than an hour. I got everything back together and only have to re-do
some trim work (baseboards and 1/4 round)

A pox on builders who bury copper piping inside walls without leaving
access panels.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla > wrote:

-snip-
>?The culprit was a 30 year old copper pipe feed line.... corroded and
>split at a joint. I am not good at sweating copper joints...

2 words-- Sharkbite fittings-
http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-Fittings-595000

home depot carries them, too. They work.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2011 3:30 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> George > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>> ?The culprit was a 30 year old copper pipe feed line.... corroded and
>> split at a joint. I am not good at sweating copper joints...

> 2 words-- Sharkbite fittings-
> http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-Fittings-595000
>
> home depot carries them, too. They work.

Thanks! I never heard of them before. Next time I'll give them a try.
They are a little pricey, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a plumber.

I am good at woodworking, wallboard, windows, doors, trim, etc... but I
don't know much about electrics or plumbing.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Are you on your own private well or city water? If on your own well
> check your pressure setting, it may have changed. If on city water
> call them and have them check that your pressure hasn't recently been
> increased (they may have done some work to improve flow in your area).
> Older homes are very prone to leaks and burst pipes when pressure is
> increased just a wee bit. It sounds like your house needs a lot more
> upgrading than a simple patch job.

Did you read the post? I didn't think so.
Pressure on a drain line? Not in any part of the world except yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Take your OT drama some place else for Christ sakes. You're ****ing
useless moron.

Nobody cares about your plumbing problems. You're just an attention
whore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:16:29 -0400, "John Smythe"
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Are you on your own private well or city water? If on your own well
>> check your pressure setting, it may have changed. If on city water
>> call them and have them check that your pressure hasn't recently been
>> increased (they may have done some work to improve flow in your area).
>> Older homes are very prone to leaks and burst pipes when pressure is
>> increased just a wee bit. It sounds like your house needs a lot more
>> upgrading than a simple patch job.

>Did you read the post? I didn't think so.
>Pressure on a drain line? Not in any part of the world except yours.

He didn't specify waste or supply in his original post. Take the butt
plug out of your ass so you can think.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:16:29 -0400, "John Smythe"
> > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Are you on your own private well or city water? If on your own well
>>> check your pressure setting, it may have changed. If on city water
>>> call them and have them check that your pressure hasn't recently
>>> been increased (they may have done some work to improve flow in
>>> your area). Older homes are very prone to leaks and burst pipes
>>> when pressure is increased just a wee bit. It sounds like your
>>> house needs a lot more upgrading than a simple patch job.

>> Did you read the post? I didn't think so.
>> Pressure on a drain line? Not in any part of the world except yours.

> He didn't specify waste or supply in his original post. Take the butt
> plug out of your ass so you can think.

Yes he did. You must have your butt plug in your mouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:21:24 -0400, "John Smythe"
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:16:29 -0400, "John Smythe"
>> > wrote:

>>> Did you read the post? I didn't think so.
>>> Pressure on a drain line? Not in any part of the world except yours.

>> He didn't specify waste or supply in his original post. Take the butt
>> plug out of your ass so you can think.

>Yes he did.

That's why you deleted the entirety of post I responded to, ASSHOLE!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2011 11:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I am hoping that it stops dripping soon.

I had a very similar leak a few years ago. I had water coming from the
downstairs bathroom ceiling and it turned out to be the line that fed
water to the toilet upstairs. Same with my plumber - he didn't do
drywall repairs.

I haven't been home for a week but I heard from my pet sitter that I
have a new leak in the kitchen. My brother went over and thinks he
isolated the water to be coming from the dishwasher. I guess I get to
get my new one I've been looking for lately. And have the lines
repaired at the same time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:21:24 -0400, "John Smythe"
> > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:16:29 -0400, "John Smythe"

>>> He didn't specify waste or supply in his original post. Take the
>>> butt plug out of your ass so you can think.

>> Yes he did.

> That's why you deleted the entirety of post I responded to, ASSHOLE!

No, I deleted because it is proper netiquette.

Here's that part of the original post that you forgot (or couldn't)
read.....

> The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
> thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple holes
> in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs. Luckily,
> he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink and tub was an
> old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That meant a much smaller
> job that he could do right away. He had to removed about a foot of pipe
> and replaced it with plastic. We checked and everything looked good. So
> the leak was fixed and the bill was only $175.

Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
corroded and burst.

Notice the second word in that sentence...._DRAIN_

Now go slink into the corner like the ignorant ass hole that you know that
you are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Smythe" > wrote

> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
> corroded and burst.

I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a drain pipe
do that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:24:29 -0400, "John Smythe"
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:21:24 -0400, "John Smythe"
>> > wrote:

>>> Yes he did.

>> That's why you deleted the entirety of post I responded to, ASSHOLE!

>No, I deleted because it is proper netiquette.
>
>Here's that part of the original post that you forgot (or couldn't)
>read.....
>
>> The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
>> thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple holes
>> in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs. Luckily,
>> he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink and tub was an
>> old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That meant a much smaller
>> job that he could do right away. He had to removed about a foot of pipe
>> and replaced it with plastic. We checked and everything looked good. So
>> the leak was fixed and the bill was only $175.
>>

>Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
>corroded and burst.
>
>Notice the second word in that sentence...._DRAIN_
>
>Now go slink into the corner like the ignorant ass hole that you know that
>you are.

That was not the first post, that was the second, I didn't reply to
that one. Next time leave the pertinent parts intact, SCHMUCK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "John Smythe" > wrote
>>>

>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe
>> that had corroded and burst.
>>

> I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a
> drain pipe do that?

Corrosion?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:24:29 -0400, "John Smythe"
> > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:21:24 -0400, "John Smythe"

>>> That's why you deleted the entirety of post I responded to, ASSHOLE!

>> No, I deleted because it is proper netiquette.
>>
>> Here's that part of the original post that you forgot (or couldn't)
>> read.....
>>
>>> The plumber showed up a couple hours early. After looking around he
>>> thought perhaps not the stack but he would have to cut a couple
>>> holes in the ceiling to look.... and he doesn't do drywall repairs.
>>> Luckily, he struck cold on the first hole. The drain from the sink
>>> and tub was an old copper pipe that had corroded and burst. That
>>> meant a much smaller job that he could do right away. He had to
>>> removed about a foot of pipe and replaced it with plastic. We
>>> checked and everything looked good. So the leak was fixed and the
>>> bill was only $175.
>>>

>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe
>> that had corroded and burst.
>>
>> Notice the second word in that sentence...._DRAIN_
>>
>> Now go slink into the corner like the ignorant ass hole that you
>> know that you are.

> That was not the first post, that was the second, I didn't reply to
> that one. Next time leave the pertinent parts intact, SCHMUCK.

Yes it WAS the first post in this thread. You prove once again, that you
cannot read for comprehension.

You also prove (once again) that you are an ass that cannot interact with
people.

Go **** yourself, or better yet go back to ****ing Andy. You both like it
so much. Or did he "cut you off"?
Ah Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:21:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"John Smythe" > wrote
>>>

>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
>> corroded and burst.
>>

>I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a drain pipe
>do that?

Maybe it froze 30 years ago and finally ate through the weakened area.
I've seen copper drains 'look' like they burst under pressure. Or
maybe the op just used the wrong term.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/07/2011 8:26 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:21:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote:
>

>> "John > wrote
>>>>

>>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
>>> corroded and burst.
>>>

>> I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a drain pipe
>> do that?

> Maybe it froze 30 years ago and finally ate through the weakened area.
> I've seen copper drains 'look' like they burst under pressure. Or
> maybe the op just used the wrong term.

Corrosion. Perhaps "burst" gives the impression that it blew under
pressure. At any rate there was a stretch of 1-1/2 inch copper where
water and about a foot and a half of the pipe had to be cut out because
it was so weak and crumbly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:21:34 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "John Smythe" > wrote
>>>

>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe that had
>> corroded and burst.
>>

> I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a drain pipe
> do that?

it finally got fed up and just couldn't take any more. goodbye, cruel
whirl!

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2011 5:58 AM, John Smythe wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> "John > wrote
>>>>

>>> Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe
>>> that had corroded and burst.
>>>

>> I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a
>> drain pipe do that?

> Corrosion?

Yes, that. We've had horizontal copper pipes under bathroom sinks and
the kitchen sink all leak from splits caused by corrosion along the
bottom of the pipe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Smythe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >"John Smythe" > wrote
> > > >

> > > Here....."The drain from the sink and tub was an old copper pipe
> > > that had corroded and burst.
> > >

> > I've never seen a pipe with no pressure burst. What would make a
> > drain pipe do that?

> Corrosion?

Freezing as well can do it. Kinda wrong season for that in the
northern hemisphere.