Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dumb Mick

An Irish Family Tradition

Mick Murphy had long heard the stories of an amazing family tradition.
It seems that his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had all
been able ot walk on water on their 18th birthday. On that special
day, they'd each walked across the lake to the pub on the far side for
their first legal drink. So, when Mick's 18th birthday came 'round,
he and his pal, Paddy, took a boat out to the middle of the lake. Mick
stepped out of the boat and nearly drowned! Paddy barely managed to
pull him to safety. Furious and confused, Mick went to see his
grandmother. "Grandma," he asked, "it's my 18th birthday, so why
can't I walk across the lake like my father, his father and his father
before him?" Granny looked deeply into Mick's troubled brown eyes and
said: "Because your father, your grandfather and your great
grandfather were all born in December, when the lake is frozen; and
you were born in August."