Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The plan. Let's see how it turns out...

Speaking of beans...

I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
plan on starting with:

1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
etc as necessary.

2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
garlic (chopped)

3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
cups of merlot or burgundy wine.

4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.

5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
out'.

6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
level up to the top layer of beans.

7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.

8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.

A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
subtract, or change?

Thanks.

-J

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton > wrote:

>Speaking of beans...

>I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
>plan on starting with:
>
>1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
>etc as necessary.
>
>2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
>onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
>garlic (chopped)
>
>3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
>cups of merlot or burgundy wine.
>
>4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
>cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
>between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
>pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.
>
>5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
>the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
>out'.
>
>6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
>level up to the top layer of beans.
>
>7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
>simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.
>
>8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.
>

>A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
>me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
>subtract, or change?

Sounds great. The proportion of wine seems high. You may not
wish to commit to the entire amount of wine early in the
recipe, before tasting. The proportion of onion/green pepper seems low.
It's not clear how much chicken stock you would end up using but you
don't want it too broth-y. (At least, I wouldn't want it to be.)
The proportion of sausage is possibly more than you need, depending
on preferences.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 1:07*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> phaeton > wrote:
> >Speaking of beans...
> >I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. *Here's what I
> >plan on starting with:

> >1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. *Rinse, boil, rinse
> >etc as necessary.

> >2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
> >onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
> >garlic (chopped)

> >3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. *Add about 1.5
> >cups of merlot or burgundy wine.

> >4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
> >cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). *I can't decide
> >between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
> >pork. *Drain fat, and put into stock pot.

> >5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
> >the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
> >out'.

> >6) Add beans to stock pot. *Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
> >level up to the top layer of beans.

> >7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
> >simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.

> >8) *Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.

> >A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
> >me. *If this were you, how would you do it? *What would you add,
> >subtract, or change?

> Sounds great. *The proportion of wine seems high. * You may not
> wish to commit to the entire amount of wine early in the
> recipe, before tasting. *The proportion of onion/green pepper seems low.. *
> It's not clear how much chicken stock you would end up using but you
> don't want it too broth-y. *(At least, I wouldn't want it to be.)
> The proportion of sausage is possibly more than you need, depending
> on preferences.
>
> Steve

This is exactly the thing I'm not real sure on- the proportioning.

And no, I don't want it too brothy. I don't want a soup, i want a
stew, or thicker. The sausage is more for flavoring, I suppose.
There is no harm in the added protein, but this is a bean dish, after
all.

What's a good quantity of wine and onion/green pepper to start with?

Thanks

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> phaeton > wrote:
>
>>Speaking of beans...

>>I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
>>plan on starting with:
>>
>>1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
>>etc as necessary.
>>
>>2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
>>onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
>>garlic (chopped)
>>
>>3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
>>cups of merlot or burgundy wine.
>>
>>4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
>>cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
>>between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
>>pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.
>>
>>5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
>>the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
>>out'.
>>
>>6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
>>level up to the top layer of beans.
>>
>>7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
>>simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.
>>
>>8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.
>>

>>A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
>>me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
>>subtract, or change?

> Sounds great. The proportion of wine seems high. You may not
> wish to commit to the entire amount of wine early in the
> recipe, before tasting. The proportion of onion/green pepper seems low.
> It's not clear how much chicken stock you would end up using but you
> don't want it too broth-y. (At least, I wouldn't want it to be.)
> The proportion of sausage is possibly more than you need, depending
> on preferences.
>

> Steve

Beans and wine aren't a good combination. At least, not cooking them
together. And certainly not merlot or burgundy! Way too heavy. Bean soup
doesn't need that. If I were going to make pinto bean soup I'd lean towards
a simple bean with bacon

But if the OP wants to add sausage I'd go for the andoulle before I'd use
chorizo, but that's just me. And I certainly wouldn't take the skin off;
just slice it into rounds and brown it before tossing it in the soup.

Mexican chorizo is too greasy. Go for the Portguese type of sausage if you
want chorizo (aka chourico). Or use linguica.

One of my favourite sites is Gaspar's:

http://www.gasparssausage.com/

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i would use vegetable broth instead of chicken, and i would just slice the
sausages if using the links cutting as thin as possible, Lee
"phaeton" > wrote in message
> Speaking of beans...
>
> I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
> plan on starting with:
>
> 1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
> etc as necessary.
>
> 2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
> onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
> garlic (chopped)
>
> 3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
> cups of merlot or burgundy wine.
>
> 4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
> cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
> between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
> pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.
>
> 5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
> the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
> out'.
>
> 6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
> level up to the top layer of beans.
>
> 7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
> simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.
>
> 8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.
>

> A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
> me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
> subtract, or change?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -J

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton > wrote:

>What's a good quantity of wine and onion/green pepper to start with?

I typically use 2 each onion / green pepper per dried pound of beans.

The wine... hard to say, I tend to use crushed tomatoes, and then
just a quarter cup or so of wine if I include it. But you're
going for a different effect. I'm interested to learn how the
wine-based approach works out.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/20/2011 12:48 AM, phaeton wrote:
> Speaking of beans...
>
> I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
> plan on starting with:
>
> 1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
> etc as necessary.
>
> 2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
> onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
> garlic (chopped)
>
> 3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
> cups of merlot or burgundy wine.
>
> 4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
> cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
> between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
> pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.
>
> 5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
> the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
> out'.
>
> 6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
> level up to the top layer of beans.
>
> 7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
> simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.
>
> 8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.
>

> A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
> me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
> subtract, or change?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -J

Let us know how it turns out. BTW, I don't soak pinto beans over
night. I rinse the beans then cook them. You could saute your onions,
peppers, garlic and sausage, then add the beans and water to the pot. I
would skip the wine and add bacon fat instead. Again, let us know how
this turns out.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

I wasn't sure on the wine either, (it's in a lot of beef stews, and i
saw it in a couple of bean stuff online, but you know how online
recipes go). After reading this far, I'm going to skip it entirely.

Vegetable stock insteaf of chicken stock... sure, why not?

I was also debating on crumbling the sausage vs. cutting chunks. I'm
not interested in bacon this time around because I want something
fairly meaty but not so salty. But I like bacon + beans in other
instances too.

The reason I'm cooking the beans separate is because that's how I've
always done it. I've never been able to find a definitive guide on
which beans have toxins and which ones don't.

Once it is all together, I would almost be interested in simmering it
for much longer, say a few hours. I almost want the beans to
disintegrate a little and thicken the liquids. I think this is what
sf was referring to.

Also, note that I haven't added any spices to this directly. With the
aromatics, sausage and stock, I doubt it's really necessary.

Thanks again for the comments- past, present, and future!

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 7/20/2011 12:48 AM, phaeton wrote:
>> Speaking of beans...
>>
>> I've got the taste for a savory bean stew type of meal. Here's what I
>> plan on starting with:
>>
>> 1) Soak a pound of pinto beans in water overnight. Rinse, boil, rinse
>> etc as necessary.
>>
>> 2) Saute in olive oil the following, in batches if necessary: 1 white
>> onion (chopped), 1 green bell pepper (chopped) and 3 or 4 cloves of
>> garlic (chopped)
>>
>> 3) Throw onion, pepper and garlic into a stock pot. Add about 1.5
>> cups of merlot or burgundy wine.
>>
>> 4) Brown about a pound of bulk sausage (or sausage links with the skin
>> cut off and the contents spread out into a pan). I can't decide
>> between bratwurst, chorizo or andouille, or even just plain ground
>> pork. Drain fat, and put into stock pot.
>>
>> 5) Bring stockpot contents to a boil, then reduce heat, simmer with
>> the lid on for about 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to 'juice
>> out'.
>>
>> 6) Add beans to stock pot. Add enough chicken broth to get the liquid
>> level up to the top layer of beans.
>>
>> 7) Bring it all to a boil again, then reduce heat, put the lid on and
>> simmer for another 40 minutes to an hour.
>>
>> 8) Serve with a crusty wheat bread or brown rice.
>>

>> A little much for this time of year, perhaps, but it sounds good to
>> me. If this were you, how would you do it? What would you add,
>> subtract, or change?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -J

> Let us know how it turns out. BTW, I don't soak pinto beans over night.
> I rinse the beans then cook them. You could saute your onions, peppers,
> garlic and sausage, then add the beans and water to the pot. I would skip
> the wine and add bacon fat instead. Again, let us know how this turns
> out.
>
> Becca

De-lurking for a purpose. I don't know where I got this recipe but it's a
work in progress for the last year or so. I soak my beans over night and
rinse them 3 or 4 times before cooking. I also use a pressure cooker
initially and then into a crock pot for a few hours. I don't think that I
would use wine, maybe beer. As I said it's a work in progress but the couple
of times I've made it, it turned out pretty good. As Becca said let us know.

Name: Pinto Beans with Kielbasa
Serves: 8
Ingredients: 1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper,chopped
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1-1/2 pounds kielbasa, cut into I-inch pieces
1 cup great northern beans, cooked and drained
1 cup pinto beans, cooked and drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
I (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions: In a Dutch oven, sauté the onion and green pepper in oil until
tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
and simmer until heated through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> Beans and wine aren't a good combination. At least, not cooking them
> together.

Blanket statements are always wrong.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry for the lack of a proper newsreader in this thread. Anyways...

Based upon suggestions here, here's what I did:

1) soaked a pound of pintos overnight in water.
2) boiled said pintos for about 15 minutes in water.
3) drained said pintos, then added them to a stock pot which included
the following:

a) 2 white onions, diced and sauteed in veg oil (i was out of olive)
b) 2 green bell peppers, diced and sauteed in veg oil
c) 3 cloves of garlic. I had purchased 5, but the last 2 had
sprouted, so I planted them in in my garden instead.
d) about 1.5 pounds of mild italian sausage, cut into chunks and
browned on both sides as recommended here.
e) One 15oz can of reduced sodium chicken stock.

Then let it all simmer together for about an hour. The result?
Wonderful! I didn't add any salt- I tend to not add salt ot
anything. Others might do it differently.

It's very mild, kinda sweet (from the peppers and basil from the
sausage, i presume) and certainly very 'homey' tasting. It's one of
those things that would right your stomach if it were upset. I can
also see it as a starting point for other things. I.e., a spicy
sausage instead of a mild italian. Or bacon as was mentioned
earlier. Or even chorizo (like I originally stated. Maybe beef stock
instead of chicken to richen it up.

All in all, it's pretty good. Probably too bland for most folks, but -
I- like it.

Thanks everyone.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 25, 2:44*am, phaeton > wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of a proper newsreader in this thread. *Anyways...
>
> Based upon suggestions here, here's what I did:
>
> 1) soaked a pound of pintos overnight in water.
> 2) boiled said pintos for about 15 minutes in water.
> 3) drained said pintos, then added them to a stock pot which included
> the following:
>
> a) 2 white onions, diced and sauteed in veg oil (i was out of olive)
> b) 2 green bell peppers, diced and sauteed in veg oil
> c) 3 cloves of garlic. *I had purchased 5, but the last 2 had
> sprouted, so I planted them in in my garden instead.
> d) about 1.5 pounds of mild italian sausage, cut into chunks and
> browned on both sides as recommended here.
> e) One 15oz can of reduced sodium chicken stock.
>
> Then let it all simmer together for about an hour. *The result?
> Wonderful! *I didn't add any salt- I tend to not add salt ot
> anything. *Others might do it differently.
>
> It's very mild, kinda sweet (from the peppers and basil from the
> sausage, i presume) and certainly very 'homey' tasting. *It's one of
> those things that would right your stomach if it were upset. *I can
> also see it as a starting point for other things. *I.e., a spicy
> sausage instead of a mild italian. *Or bacon as was mentioned
> earlier. *Or even chorizo (like I originally stated. *Maybe beef stock
> instead of chicken to richen it up.
>
> All in all, it's pretty good. *Probably too bland for most folks, but -
> I- like it. *
>
> Thanks everyone.

Don't thank me; I thank you. I'll add it to my repertoire. I just
wanted to let you know that sprouted garlic retains its flavor. If you
dont't want to eat the sprouts, they are easily separated by cutting
the cloves lengthwise.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

TN: Craig turns 39.96 DaleW Wine 3 05-07-2012 06:15 PM
TN: An ESJ turns 8 DaleW Wine 3 02-11-2009 11:58 PM
Spam Turns Serious and Hormel Turns Out More Gregory Morrow[_122_] General Cooking 28 17-11-2008 07:00 PM
Vineyard harvest plan - how to plan and control supply from many small vineyards New start Winemaking 1 24-01-2005 11:14 PM