Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Finding Old Recipes

I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she made
during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
born in the late 1800's.

Corn Pone

2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
Butter the size of a walnut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup wheat flour

Bake at 350F till done

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
>written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she made
>during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
>signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
>born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill

What a treasure. I hope you'll scan/copy it onto a fine grade of paper or
linen and frame it. (The 1/2 cup sugar kind of curdles my way of thinking
but that's beside the point.) At risk of boring the entire cooking
community here, I'll be happy to help you preserve and cherish your
discovery. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
>>written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she
>>made during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough,
>>it's signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of
>>someone born in the late 1800's.
>>
>> Corn Pone
>>
>> 2 cups buttermilk
>> 2 eggs
>> Butter the size of a walnut
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 teaspoon soda
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 2 cups cornmeal
>> 1 cup wheat flour
>>
>> Bake at 350F till done
>>
>> Jill

> What a treasure. I hope you'll scan/copy it onto a fine grade of paper or
> linen and frame it. (The 1/2 cup sugar kind of curdles my way of thinking
> but that's beside the point.) At risk of boring the entire cooking
> community here, I'll be happy to help you preserve and cherish your
> discovery. Polly

Yeah, the amount of sugar sort of rankles But she was from Pennsylvania
where corn pone was probably very sweet.

Thanks for the offer of helping me preserve the recipe but I've found old
recipes like this before. No need to preserve it on linen or fancy paper.
It's a recipe, meant to be used and enjoyed, not framed. My dad's older
sister is still alive. Aunt Winifred. Maybe I'll send it to her

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 19, 8:47*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. *This must have been something she made
> during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! *Sure enough, it's
> signed "Lena". *That's my grandma. *Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
> born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill

I have a cookbook from 1867. Talk about interesting!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she made
during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
born in the late 1800's.

Corn Pone

2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
Butter the size of a walnut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup wheat flour

Bake at 350F till done

Jill

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I remember asking my grandmother for a favorite recipe many years. She
recited proportions such as "a handful of this," "a smidgen of that," and "a
little, to taste." That's truly how she cooked, and everything tasted
great! By contrast, I'm a "chemistry cook" (and need everything spelled out
for me), and I look for very easy recipes. Truthfully, I'm not a cook at
all.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 20, 11:46*am, "MaryL" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" *wrote in ...
>
> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. *This must have been something she made
> during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! *Sure enough, it's
> signed "Lena". *That's my grandma. *Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
> born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I remember asking my grandmother for a favorite recipe many years. *She
> recited proportions such as "a handful of this," "a smidgen of that," and "a
> little, to taste." *That's truly how she cooked, and everything tasted
> great! *By contrast, I'm a "chemistry cook" (and need everything spelled out
> for me), and I look for very easy recipes. Truthfully, I'm not a cook at
> all.
>
> MaryL

When cooking some thing you can get away with imprecise measurements.
Not so much with baking though. Or anything else when the measurement
of something affects the consistency dramatically. If it's just about
flavor then "to taste" works.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the fact that you know your limits is a point of great respect for me. i
can design a recipe no problem, but i really do have difficulty standing and
stirring constantly, lee
"MaryL" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she
> made
> during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
> signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
> born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I remember asking my grandmother for a favorite recipe many years. She
> recited proportions such as "a handful of this," "a smidgen of that," and
> "a little, to taste." That's truly how she cooked, and everything tasted
> great! By contrast, I'm a "chemistry cook" (and need everything spelled
> out for me), and I look for very easy recipes. Truthfully, I'm not a cook
> at all.
>
> MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Update: ( Finding Old Recipes)

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she
> made during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough,
> it's signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of
> someone born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill

I called my aunt today. She's my dad's older sister and the only living
member of the clan (The McQuown clan, that is) that I know of. She was
thrilled that I found this recipe! And hand written by her mother, who died
in 1983. Aunt Winifred is older than her mother was then... she's about 90
now. She lost her husband of 60 some years right before Thanksgiving last
year. My cousin Bob was there with her and I spoke with him briefly. I've
never met my cousins on that side of the family. I travelled so much
(military brat and all that) I just never met up with them. We had a nice
chat. And he's happy I still keep in touch with my aunt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she made
> during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
> signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
> born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill

My maternal grandmother was a home economics teacher before she got
married. (Back then married women were strongly discouraged from
teaching.) Her recipes were mostly ingredients without directions of
how to mix them together. I have a loose-leaf book of her recipes that
my mother gave me several years ago. Since this grandmother died just
before I turned 5, I have very little memory of her.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
> written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she
> made during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough,
> it's signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of
> someone born in the late 1800's.
>
> Corn Pone
>
> 2 cups buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> Butter the size of a walnut
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 teaspoon soda
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 2 cups cornmeal
> 1 cup wheat flour
>
> Bake at 350F till done
>
> Jill

Neat! Such things are treasures!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> I was looking for something quite different when I ran across a recipe
>> written by my paternal grandmother. This must have been something she made
>> during the 1930s and it sounds like cornbread to me! Sure enough, it's
>> signed "Lena". That's my grandma. Nice vague recipe, typical of someone
>> born in the late 1800's.
>>
>> Corn Pone
>>
>> 2 cups buttermilk
>> 2 eggs
>> Butter the size of a walnut
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 teaspoon soda
>> 1/2 cup sugar
>> 2 cups cornmeal
>> 1 cup wheat flour
>>
>> Bake at 350F till done
>>
>> Jill

> My maternal grandmother was a home economics teacher before she got
> married. (Back then married women were strongly discouraged from
> teaching.) Her recipes were mostly ingredients without directions of
> how to mix them together. I have a loose-leaf book of her recipes that
> my mother gave me several years ago. Since this grandmother died just
> before I turned 5, I have very little memory of her.
>
> Cindy

What a nice thing to have! I guess it would be hard to figure out
some of the directions.
--
Jean B.

I just keep finding these old recipes Kalmia General Cooking 0 16-12-2013 04:14 PM
Finding a cause. Roy Boy Winemaking 0 27-11-2005 01:44 AM
Finding Recipes Otto Bahn Baking 203 30-06-2005 05:52 PM
Finding Recipes Otto Bahn General Cooking 240 30-06-2005 05:52 PM