Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Anyone have any experience with shiratake "miracle" noodles?

Haven't tried them but was interested.

I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> Haven't tried them but was interested.
>
> I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

They have little flavor and they are easier to break than regular
noodles, but they are extremely low carb and they are grain free. They
come wet in sealed packages so treat them like they are precooked. I
will rinse them in hot water before adding to my food to clean off the
storage liquid then add to my recipe the way I would precooked noodles.

If you expect them to replace wheat noodles as in having a flavor like
wheat noodles, they don't. Bland nearly to the point of tofu. If you
expect them to work like regular noodles as far as texture, they don't
have the option of al dente otherwise they do work.

Magic? A food that low carb might be called magic. I suggest that's a
marketing exaggeration.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 19, 2:21*pm, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > Haven't tried them but was interested.

> > I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

> They have little flavor and they are easier to break than regular
> noodles, but they are extremely low carb and they are grain free. *They
> come wet in sealed packages so treat them like they are precooked. *I
> will rinse them in hot water before adding to my food to clean off the
> storage liquid then add to my recipe the way I would precooked noodles.
>
> If you expect them to replace wheat noodles as in having a flavor like
> wheat noodles, they don't. *Bland nearly to the point of tofu. *If you
> expect them to work like regular noodles as far as texture, they don't
> have the option of al dente otherwise they do work.
>
> Magic? *A food that low carb might be called magic. *I suggest that's a
> marketing exaggeration.

what sort of recipes or dishes did you use them in? mostly asian?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> Haven't tried them but was interested.
>
> I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

They smell fishy when you drain them from the package. And they don't
taste very noodle-y, but you can use them in stirfries along with some
real noodles. I also sometimes put them in radish soup.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> Haven't tried them but was interested.
>
> I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

Yes. I like them in Asian dishes, especially those that normally
feature bean thread (under various names, of course) and yam
noodles. I don't like them in western dishes--especially not in
any familiar dish where I am expecting the regular pasta. I have
been reading that some folks dry them out a bit and am thinking
that might help them to absorb flavor.

Also, there are tofu shirataki noodles. Actually I then started
thinking about using yuba (dried tofu skin) in various forms, and
while I was looking for that, I saw some pressed tofu noodles,
that I suspect have a more solid texture than the shirataki does.
They are still sitting in my fridge untried though.

Someplace I have a recipe I created using shirataki in ants
climbing a tree. If you would like me to post that, I will hunt
for it tomorrow.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2011 2:54 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Haven't tried them but was interested.
>
> I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

You can use them right out of the package, but the texture of the
fettuccine is a little rubbery. Boil them in water for a minute or so
to help remedy that. Here are a few of their recipes.
http://shirataki-noodles.recipesilove.com/

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> what sort of recipes or dishes did you use them in? mostly asian?

With tomato based sauce. In place of ramen in a Japanese style soup.
I suspect they would not work with alfredoa sauce because of their
softer texture.

Basically any application that uses noodles softer than al dente should
work depending on how fussy or ho wmotivated you are. It is easy to
find noodles made from rice, corn or quinoa so I have low motivation for
staying wheat free. They are far and away the lowest carb noodle out
there so low carbing increases the motivation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/19/2011 9:54 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> Haven't tried them but was interested.
>
> I'd love to hear your experiences and how you used them.

They are funny noodles alright. I know them as sukiyaki noodles and my
mother used to make that dish but I never liked those noodles because of
their weird rubbery texture. OTOH, they'll retain their weird texture
well while submersed in hot broth. You can buy canned sukiyaki
vegetables that contain those noodles. They retain their weird texture
after being in a can for a while too.