Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buying Beans in Bulk?

Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
Asian market. It worked out pretty good.

After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.

Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
handled in this sort of packaging?

In other words, is it worth it?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

> Beans are one of my favorite things to
> eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
> beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed?

I see *big* bags of pintos at Smart & Final, which is also known as
Cash & Carry. Try looking there, if you have one nearby.

> Any cost savings (even
> though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> handled in this sort of packaging?

No idea. If I bought a big bag like that, I'd be eating it for the
rest of my life.

> In other words, is it worth it?

I'd stick with smaller amounts that I knew I would consume fairly
quickly. If you're preparing for a disaster, I supposed that would be
a good enough excuse to buy such a large amount.... but I'm not sure
where the water to soak and cook them would come from.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
>Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
>running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
>Asian market. It worked out pretty good.
>
>After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
>to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
>eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
>that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
>beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
>Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
>them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
>and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
>though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
>infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
>handled in this sort of packaging?
>
>In other words, is it worth it?
>
>Thanks!

I have seen beans in bulk bins at ethnic markets - in particular, one
that had a large Hispanic clientele. This place also had dried hot
peppers of various sorts in bulk, too, but...

There can be weevils, grain moths or other insects in any legume or
grain bulk purchases. I tend to put such items in the freezer and take
out what I need when I am cooking. But I do have a large freezer.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
>Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
>running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
>Asian market. It worked out pretty good.
>
>After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
>to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
>eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
>that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
>beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
>Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
>them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
>and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
>though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
>infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
>handled in this sort of packaging?
>
>In other words, is it worth it?
>
>Thanks!

Do you have any supermarkets that has a bulk bin area? Mine does and
sells probably 8-10 different beans. Buy as much as you want. Costco
sells pintos by the 20? pound bag so I imagine that Sam's does also.
Cash and Carry (a restaurant supply store) sells huge bags of pintos,
black beans and kidney beans here.

I buy pintos in the large bag. For sure we don't eat beans anything
like you are talking about. I make up 6 quarts of pintos at a time
for refried beans. I freeze them in those plastic lidded containers.
/We use a large bag of pintos in a year.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i haven't but i have a friend that uses bulk foods.com for her garbonzos and
i think pintos, was either 25 or 50 lb bags Lee
"phaeton" > wrote in message
> Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
> Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
> running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
> Asian market. It worked out pretty good.
>
> After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
> to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
> eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
> beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
> though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> handled in this sort of packaging?
>
> In other words, is it worth it?
>
> Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 6:15*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
> Sometimes daily for days on end. *I was always buying rice and always
> running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
> Asian market. *It worked out pretty good.
>
> After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
> to get onto a bean episode. *Beans are one of my favorite things to
> eat. *I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. *I like all kinds of
> beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? *Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? *Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
> though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> handled in this sort of packaging?

I buy my brown rice in 25lb bags, but don't eat beans enough to make
it worth it to me to buy them in quantity. I mean a 1lb of dried beans
is only like a buck! I buy 3 or 4 of them to make my home made "baked
beans" and that last me weeks.

I eat rice with a lot more than my ubiquitous rice/beans/smoked
sausage breakfast.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"phaeton" > wrote in message
> Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
> Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
> running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
> Asian market. It worked out pretty good.
>
> After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
> to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
> eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
> beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
> though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> handled in this sort of packaging?
>
> In other words, is it worth it?
>
> Thanks!

I eat a lot of beans but have not and would not buy that much personally.
Now if I were cooking for a lot of people all the time, then I would. But I
find that after about a year, the beans aren't so fresh so they take a
longer to cook. The older they are the longer they take to cook. Not that
they're necessarily bad. It's just bothersome to me. Mostly I just buy
canned beans now.

I don't know what kinds of stores you have there. I have seen huge sacks of
pinto beans at Costco, Winco and even at a Latino market. Not sure about
other kinds of beans. I have seen them online but I've never looked for
them in stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
>Sometimes daily for days on end. I was always buying rice and always
>running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
>Asian market. It worked out pretty good.
>
>After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
>to get onto a bean episode. Beans are one of my favorite things to
>eat. I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
>that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. I like all kinds of
>beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
>Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
>them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
>and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
>though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
>infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
>handled in this sort of packaging?
>
>In other words, is it worth it?
>
>Thanks!

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=beans
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 7:15*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
> Sometimes daily for days on end. *I was always buying rice and always
> running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
> Asian market. *It worked out pretty good.
>
> After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
> to get onto a bean episode. *Beans are one of my favorite things to
> eat. *I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. *I like all kinds of
> beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.
>
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? *Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? *Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
> though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> handled in this sort of packaging?
>
> In other words, is it worth it?
>
> Thanks!

Check the shipping costs from http://www.bulkfoods.com/beans.asp

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 9:52*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:
> On Jul 17, 7:15*pm, phaeton > wrote:
>

> > Some years ago, I was on some episode where I was eating rice weekly.
> > Sometimes daily for days on end. *I was always buying rice and always
> > running out, so I finally started buying it in 25-lb bags from the
> > Asian market. *It worked out pretty good.

> > After a few years that started to wane a little, but now I'm starting
> > to get onto a bean episode. *Beans are one of my favorite things to
> > eat. *I've never seen them in bags larger than 5 pounds, but I presume
> > that they are available in 25-lb bags or similar. *I like all kinds of
> > beans, but pinto is the type I choose most often.

> > Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? *Where does one find
> > them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? *Is there an International Legume
> > and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed? Any cost savings (even
> > though they're dirt cheap already)? Any major caveats- i.e.
> > infestations, contamination, rot etc that they would be prone to while
> > handled in this sort of packaging?

> > In other words, is it worth it?

> > Thanks!

> Check the shipping costs fromhttp://www.bulkfoods.com/beans.asp
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

On $75 orders!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the replies and tips, everyone.

I don't have any cash & carry stores here, but I'll look for
restaurant supply stores.

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2011 6:15 PM, phaeton wrote:
> Anyone ever purchased beans by the magnitude? Where does one find
> them- Whole Foods? Hispanic Markets? Is there an International Legume
> and Pulse Emporium chain of stores I've missed?

Sam's Club has them in 10-lb bags. I divide the bag into 2-lb bags,
because I cook 2 lbs at a time and I freeze most of those. It would be
rare for me to buy canned beans, although those are okay too, I just
like cooking my own. Sam's has larger bags, but I have not tried those.

Becca