Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do you know of any good Chinese restaurants in Toronto?

I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lid (Moby_Nick) wrote in
:

> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I
> would like to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would
> like to get some recommendations first...do any of you know
> about any really good Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Wow, a can of worms question. What type of Chinese? Hunan?
Szechwan? Chin-Am? Dim sum?

Recommending a restaurant is very subjective. However, here is a
subjective list you can start with:

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_be...aurants_in_tor
onto/

short link: http://tinyurl.com/yl3qxpw

Also

http://www.restaurantica.com/on/toronto/c-chinese/

This one will allow you to search for Szechwan separate from
Chinese (but not Hunan).

I'm not recommending any, and if you're not familiar with Chinese
food, I can hardly start recommending a regional cuisine, but I
might suggest you try a restaurant that serves dim sum.

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_be...um_in_toronto/

The portions are much smaller so you're not stuck with a plate of
one thing you don't like. Read up on dim sum, see if it's what
you'd like to experience.

--

"War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful and
terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless."

Peter Ustinov
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 04:01:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:33:54 -0500, Moby_Nick wrote:
>
>> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
>> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
>> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
>> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

> Panda Express.
>
> -sw

now, now. don't be mean just because he seems a bit of a dope.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Moby_Nick wrote:
>
>> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
>> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
>> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
>> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

> Panda Express.

As Michael Boucher pointed out there are entire regions and classes of
Chinese food. It's like asking what's the best "European" food place in
a city. Warsaw style Polish food and Milan style Italian food are both
European but I might not want to bother with a place that just called
itself "European".

That said, for someone who has never tried any of the regional styles at
all before there's good sense in pointing them to a place that is rather
generic across regional styles, fairly Americanized, and has low prices.
Panda Express does fit that description. How about we think of it as a
"gateway food" to the real thing? ;^) Next step would be a mom and pop
shop place that might say Mandarin or Cantonese on their menu.

Then go downtown for the real regional places. Toronto has those but
they aren't what I would recommend to someone who's never tried any of
the regional styles at all before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote in news:ivsfgh$4ui$1
@dont-email.me:

> As Michael Boucher

Who's that?

--

"War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful and
terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless."

Peter Ustinov

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:33:54 -0500, Moby_Nick wrote:
>
> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Toronto has a fabulous China Town with many excellent restaurants. We
haven't been there in a lot of years but I do recall one that had Peking
Duck on the menu without having to special order it in advance. The
restaurant specialized in it so you might try to Google "Peking Duck in
Toronto" or a similar query.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/07/2011 8:33 PM, Moby_Nick wrote:
> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Do you live in Toronto are are you just going there to eat Chinese food?
If you live there, you could probably get a better recommendation from
your friends and neighbours. There are several Chinatowns in Toronto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 15, 5:33 pm,
(Moby_Nick) wrote:
> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Solicit recommendations from family and friends and at the same time
try to arrange a dinner party. Chinese food is more enjoyable with a
large group (think six or eight) than for a single or couple because
typically you order dishes 'for the table' rather than individually.
Then you get to share, and try a number of different dishes rather
than one or two.

Chinese food may be grouped by regions, with distinct, albeit
overlapping, characteristics. Think about what kinds of food you
like and perhaps that might lead you to search for a particular kind
of restaurant. Do you like seafood? Fresh vegetables? Light
seasoning that aims to draw out the intrinsic goodnesss of the
ingredients? Then look for a Cantonese place. Or maybe you want
those things perked up with a bit of vinegar or sugar or wine? Maybe
a Shanghainese place would suit you better. You much prefer noodles
and wheat to rice? Prefer lamb and pork to chicken and seafood? A
northern style or Mandarin restaurant might suit your tastes. Then
again, if you really like hot and spicy food with fresh or dried chile
peppers, you'd do better with a Sichuan (aka Szechuan) or Hunan place,
which may also offer some terrific smoked dishes.

These are just general guidelines with many, many exceptions. It's an
interesting thing to think about. I've never met anyone weird enough
to have never had Chinese food. I'm thinking you're 14 and haven't
got out much yet....... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-16, Moby_Nick > wrote:

> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

You might try hanging out on rfc chat, for awhile. Anna often shows
up and she knows all the good places.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Moby_Nick wrote:

> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?

Toronto has one of the finast Chinatowns in the western hemisphere.
Eateries are all good, just depends what you want to eat... American
Chinese/Chinese Chinese... I wish I lived closer, I'd probably never
cook again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:08:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:03:32 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

>>> Panda Express.

>> now, now. don't be mean just because he seems a bit of a dope.

>You always have a way with words, blake :-)
>
>But it was an honest answer <ahem>. It just SEEMS sarcastic coming
>from me. Never mind that they don't have a Panda Express anywhere in
>Canada - I checked before I posted.
>
>-sw

But there is King's Buffet.
www.kingsbuffet.com/
Tried their location in Cambridge once and experienced what was, in my
opinion, the blandest, most insipid, steam table food imaginable.
Just checked and, unfortunately for Moby, they do NOT have a location
in Toronto. I imagine TO's Chinese population would probably run them
out if they tried to establish there.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 8:49 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:59:48 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Toronto has one of the finast Chinatowns in the western hemisphere.
>> Eateries are all good, just depends what you want to eat... American
>> Chinese/Chinese Chinese... I wish I lived closer, I'd probably never
>> cook again.

> Whoa re you trying to kid? You never go out to eat. You're afraid of
> people spitting in your food. I haven't heard that rant for years -
> but you know you're still super-paranoid about it.
>
> -sw

The best part is for some odd reason he calls himself "Brooklyn1" and
doesn't even realize there are now 3 Chinatowns in NYC and things are
quite different than when he was there. And there are gems in NYC
outside those Chinatowns including one in Brighton that features the
cuisine of Xianjiang or the fantastic Sichuan place we go to in
Bensonhurst. Lots different than the egg foo yung of Sheldens days there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 7:30 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:08:31 -0500, >
> wrote:

>>> now, now. don't be mean just because he seems a bit of a dope.

>> You always have a way with words, blake :-)
>>
>> But it was an honest answer<ahem>. It just SEEMS sarcastic coming
>>from me. Never mind that they don't have a Panda Express anywhere in
>> Canada - I checked before I posted.
>>
>> -sw

> But there is King's Buffet.
> www.kingsbuffet.com/
> Tried their location in Cambridge once and experienced what was, in my
> opinion, the blandest, most insipid, steam table food imaginable.
> Just checked and, unfortunately for Moby, they do NOT have a location
> in Toronto. I imagine TO's Chinese population would probably run them
> out if they tried to establish there.

Chinese food is not really low fat in general and Panda Express is
more fatty than most tho' it doesn't taste all that bad.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2011 9:10 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/16/2011 7:30 PM, Ross@home wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:08:31 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>>> You always have a way with words, blake :-)
>>>
>>> But it was an honest answer<ahem>. It just SEEMS sarcastic coming
>>> from me. Never mind that they don't have a Panda Express anywhere in
>>> Canada - I checked before I posted.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> But there is King's Buffet.
>> www.kingsbuffet.com/
>> Tried their location in Cambridge once and experienced what was, in my
>> opinion, the blandest, most insipid, steam table food imaginable.
>> Just checked and, unfortunately for Moby, they do NOT have a location
>> in Toronto. I imagine TO's Chinese population would probably run them
>> out if they tried to establish there.

> Chinese food is not really low fat in general and Panda Express is more
> fatty than most tho' it doesn't taste all that bad.

Panda Express makes good lo mein. The rest of their food is not so
good, IMHO.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:08:31 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:03:32 -0400, blake murphy wrote:

>>> Panda Express.

>> now, now. don't be mean just because he seems a bit of a dope.

> You always have a way with words, blake :-)
>
> But it was an honest answer <ahem>. It just SEEMS sarcastic coming
> from me. Never mind that they don't have a Panda Express anywhere in
> Canada - I checked before I posted.
>
> -sw

then in that case it's good advice. 'there's no panda express. maybe you
could try this.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Moby_Nick wrote:
> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I would like
> to try some. But since I am a weird person, I would like to get some
> recommendations first...do any of you know about any really good
> Chinese restaurant in Toronto?
>
> Thanks

I have heard, over the years, two recommendations for finding good
Chinese food. The first one makes sense - look for places with Chinese
diners sitting in the seats and eating the food. The second, and this
makes perfect sense to me because of my upbringing, is to look in Jewish
neighborhoods. My parents were always big fans of Chinese food.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in
:

> Moby_Nick wrote:
>> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I
>> would like to try some. But since I am a weird person, I
>> would like to get some recommendations first...do any of you
>> know about any really good Chinese restaurant in Toronto?
>>
>> Thanks

> I have heard, over the years, two recommendations for finding
> good Chinese food. The first one makes sense - look for
> places with Chinese diners sitting in the seats and eating the
> food. The second, and this makes perfect sense to me because
> of my upbringing, is to look in Jewish neighborhoods. My
> parents were always big fans of Chinese food.

Those two recommendations will contradict each other. Chinese
people do not as a rule eat Chin-Am which is what Jewish restaurant
goers prefer. You are talking apples and oranges.

--

"War is the terrorism of the rich and powerful and
terrorism is the war of the poor and powerless."

Peter Ustinov
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Moby_Nick wrote:
>>> I have never tried Chinese food (yeah, weird I know) and I
>>> would like to try some. But since I am a weird person, I
>>> would like to get some recommendations first...do any of you
>>> know about any really good Chinese restaurant in Toronto?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> I have heard, over the years, two recommendations for finding
>> good Chinese food. The first one makes sense - look for
>> places with Chinese diners sitting in the seats and eating the
>> food. The second, and this makes perfect sense to me because
>> of my upbringing, is to look in Jewish neighborhoods. My
>> parents were always big fans of Chinese food.

> Those two recommendations will contradict each other. Chinese
> people do not as a rule eat Chin-Am which is what Jewish restaurant
> goers prefer. You are talking apples and oranges.

Could be - we go to two different Chinese restaurants in our town here
in NJ. One has many Chinese patrons, and the other is named Baumgart's,
but we like them both. Safe to say that both recommendations might
yield good food, just one more authentic than the other.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in news:98h0t1FusfU1
@mid.individual.net:

> One has many Chinese patrons, and the other is named Baumgart's,
> but we like them both.

There was a Chinese restaurant in France called "Le coq gaulois"
which is a common name for restaurants in France.