FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And CheesePierogi (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/409244-tonight-i-made-something.html)

Cheryl[_3_] 15-07-2011 03:17 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And CheesePierogi

Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

sf[_9_] 15-07-2011 04:15 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:17:18 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
> I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
in pictures posted here.

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-07-2011 04:38 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so I
> must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

I have always wanted to make those. But I can't find a gluten free recipe
that doesn't contain eggs. Someone did give me one some years ago but I
didn't save it to my computer. It was at a forum I was a member of. I had
saved it there and with no warning the forum closed. So I make faux ones
putting the filling into shells for stuffing. I bake them with a ton of
sautéed onions. Yum!

Julie Bove[_2_] 15-07-2011 04:39 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:17:18 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
>> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
>> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
>> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
>> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
>> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
>> I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
>> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

> Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
> in pictures posted here.

What? You haven't seen them in the frozen food section? I know they have
Mrs. T's there. I used to buy them.

Cheryl[_3_] 15-07-2011 04:50 AM

On 7/14/2011 11:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:17:18 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
>> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
>> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
>> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
>> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
>> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
>> I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
>> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

> Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
> in pictures posted here.

I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good
even though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve
them with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served
as a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce
but it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce
is chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken
stock. Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin
the sauce) and chives added as it is served.

Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
chops there, too.

http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

Cheryl[_3_] 15-07-2011 04:56 AM

On 7/14/2011 11:50 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 11:15 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:17:18 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
>>> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
>>> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
>>> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
>>> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
>>> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
>>> I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
>>> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

>> Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
>> in pictures posted here.
>>

> I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
> and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good
> even though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve
> them with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
> traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served
> as a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce
> but it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce is
> chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken stock.
> Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin the
> sauce) and chives added as it is served.
>
> Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
> chops there, too.
>
> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php
>

> http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

The pierogi from the same site
http://tinyurl.com/y974fcz

sf[_9_] 15-07-2011 06:08 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:50:59 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
> and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good
> even though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve
> them with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
> traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served
> as a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce
> but it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce
> is chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken
> stock. Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin
> the sauce) and chives added as it is served.
>
> Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
> chops there, too.
>
> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

Thanks for the recipe site; it looks like a keeper! Copying the
recipes now.

Jim Elbrecht 15-07-2011 12:02 PM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

Cheryl > wrote:
-snip-

>Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
>chops there, too.
>
>http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
and breakfast.

The Kielbasa rub is on the page with the pierogi recipe-
http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...se-pierogi.php
[save someone else the hassle of googling]

That looks interesting too-- Why didn't I ever think of that?

Jim

news 15-07-2011 03:56 PM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so I
> must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

That's why they're usually made by a crew of 20 Polish church ladies!

Cheryl[_3_] 16-07-2011 12:25 AM

On 7/15/2011 7:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> > wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>> Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
>> chops there, too.
>>
>> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

> Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
> cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
> and breakfast.
>
> The Kielbasa rub is on the page with the pierogi recipe-
> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...se-pierogi.php
> [save someone else the hassle of googling]
>
> That looks interesting too-- Why didn't I ever think of that?

Thanks for looking that up. I like this site. I've just been browsing
and I like how some of the main dish recipes include sides that pair
nicely with the entree.

Tommy Joe 16-07-2011 08:39 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato AndCheese Pierogi

On Jul 14, 11:15*pm, sf > wrote
Cheryl > wrote:

> > Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
> > over the weekend but I was low on flour. *So the other day I got some
> > flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
> > finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
> > any. *I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
> > pierogi to use as needed. *I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
> > I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
> > potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

> Have you ever eaten them before? *I haven't even seen them other than
> in pictures posted here.

Where my grandparents moved when they first came America in the
20s, Allentown Pa, there is a section called The Ward where all sorts
of immigrants lived, not just the mainly arab ones. There were all
sorts. They serve perogies in Allentown saloons as deep-fried snacks
the way other areas serve french fries. But my grandmother made them
from scratch. We had them all sorts of ways. Boiled, Boiled and
then sauteed. Potatoes, potatoes and cheese, but also sauerkraut. It
was great to have all 3. The sauerkraut ones were great, but eaten
alone over and over again they could get boring. But to eat the
cheese and potato ones and then have one filled with sauerkraut was a
treat - or just picking one up and not knowing what you were getting,
that was a treat too. I liked them lightly fried. But I could also
eat them simply boiled.

TJ

Jim Elbrecht 16-07-2011 11:02 PM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:02:25 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Cheryl > wrote:
>-snip-
>>
>>Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
>>chops there, too.
>>
>>http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php

>Yum-- We've always just done them with *way* too much butter. Always
>cook too many as they microwave fine-- and make good evening snacks
>and breakfast.

Cheryl-- did you try that sauce? We just had it [with some frozen
pierogies]. It is good. . . but next time around I'm tripling the
garlic, quadrupling the sour cream and cutting the broth in half.

Here are the ingredients as written;
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1-3/4 cup chicken broth (either homemade or low-sodium)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chives
xxxxx

I used 3 [large, strong] cloves of garlic, but otherwise followed the
recipe. It is a good gravy-- and I think it would be great with
some mushrooms sauteed in with the garlic-- but the broth was the
strongest flavor that came through.

Jim

Cheryl[_3_] 17-07-2011 01:44 AM

On 7/16/2011 6:02 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Cheryl-- did you try that sauce? We just had it [with some frozen
> pierogies]. It is good. . . but next time around I'm tripling the
> garlic, quadrupling the sour cream and cutting the broth in half.
>
> Here are the ingredients as written;
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
> 2 tablespoons flour
> 1-3/4 cup chicken broth (either homemade or low-sodium)
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
> 1/4 cup sour cream
> 1/3 cup chives
> xxxxx
>
> I used 3 [large, strong] cloves of garlic, but otherwise followed the
> recipe. It is a good gravy-- and I think it would be great with
> some mushrooms sauteed in with the garlic-- but the broth was the
> strongest flavor that came through.

I did. I made the sauce before I knew I didn't have enough flour for
the pierogi. I used the sauce over egg noodles.

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 02:26 AM

On 7/14/2011 10:17 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so
> I must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

Lots of work as you said but worth it because they are light years
better than those frozen industrial ones.

Common home fare when I was a kid. My mother made them frequently and so
did her sister. They made every version you could imagine including
fruit filled.

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 02:33 AM

On 7/15/2011 1:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/14/2011 11:15 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Have you ever eaten them before? I haven't even seen them other than
>>> in pictures posted here.
>>>

>> I had some that were store bought frozen but I hadn't eaten them before
>> and I didn't really know what to do with them. They were really good even
>> though I baked them. Didn't know about a sauce or what to serve them
>> with. So I found a recipe for a sauce, then found what they were
>> traditionally served with kielbasa and found they are also often served as
>> a side with pork chops. The sauce is a sour cream-garlic-chive sauce but
>> it isn't as fatty as it sounds. The main ingredient in this sauce is
>> chicken stock. Only about 1/4 cup sour cream to 1-3/4 cup chicken stock.
>> Lots of garlic (be sure not to let it burn because it will ruin the sauce)
>> and chives added as it is served.
>>
>> Here's the site I found the recipes. There is a "kielbasa rub" for pork
>> chops there, too.
>>
>> http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/r...hive-sauce.php
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/63pl7bx

> They are very common in PA and there are basically three ways they served
> them. Deep fried. They are often sold this way at theme parks. They are
> not served with any kind of sauce AFAIK. Or either boiled or pan fried and
> served with browned butter and sautéed onions. I prefer straight boiled and
> my husband prefers pan fried.

I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
and they always have homemade pierogies.

There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
and borsht.

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 02:39 AM

On 7/15/2011 10:56 AM, news wrote:
> > wrote in message
> .com...
>> Not sure why I wanted to do this on a weeknight. I wanted to make some
>> over the weekend but I was low on flour. So the other day I got some
>> flour and decided tonight I'd make this dish. What a lot of work! After
>> finally finishing the boiling part, I'm too tired to fry some up and eat
>> any. I know they will freeze well and now I will have a big bag of
>> pierogi to use as needed. I tasted one, and it does taste like pasta so I
>> must have done something right. My treat was the leftover
>> potato-cheese-onion-garlic stuffing goodness.

> That's why they're usually made by a crew of 20 Polish church ladies!

Getting harder to find because they can't get the help because it is so
labor intensive. One local church tried to go with those industrial
"MrsTs" which aren't even close if you know what real ones taste like.
That was the last year for their picnic.

sf[_9_] 17-07-2011 03:00 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:39:04 -0400, George >
wrote:

> Getting harder to find because they can't get the help because it is so
> labor intensive. One local church tried to go with those industrial
> "MrsTs" which aren't even close if you know what real ones taste like.
> That was the last year for their picnic.

That's one reason why I wouldn't bother trying frozen. I won't like
it and paint all pierogies with that brush. I know the difference
between home made and frozen pot stickers and the frozen type is a big
waste of money, AFAIC.

Cheryl[_3_] 17-07-2011 03:37 AM

On 7/16/2011 10:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:39:04 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> Getting harder to find because they can't get the help because it is so
>> labor intensive. One local church tried to go with those industrial
>> "MrsTs" which aren't even close if you know what real ones taste like.
>> That was the last year for their picnic.

> That's one reason why I wouldn't bother trying frozen. I won't like
> it and paint all pierogies with that brush. I know the difference
> between home made and frozen pot stickers and the frozen type is a big
> waste of money, AFAIC.

But homemade is very cheap to make. A lot of work, but literally only a
few dollars for the two bags that I froze. I didn't count them.

sf[_9_] 17-07-2011 05:35 AM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:37:53 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 7/16/2011 10:00 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:39:04 -0400, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Getting harder to find because they can't get the help because it is so
> >> labor intensive. One local church tried to go with those industrial
> >> "MrsTs" which aren't even close if you know what real ones taste like.
> >> That was the last year for their picnic.

> > That's one reason why I wouldn't bother trying frozen. I won't like
> > it and paint all pierogies with that brush. I know the difference
> > between home made and frozen pot stickers and the frozen type is a big
> > waste of money, AFAIC.
> >

> But homemade is very cheap to make.

And homemade is delicious.

> A lot of work, but literally only a
> few dollars for the two bags that I froze. I didn't count them.

Same with pot stickers, which is why most people won't make them from
scratch. They don't mind investing the money, but they mind investing
the time.

Tommy Joe 17-07-2011 06:14 AM

On Jul 16, 9:33*pm, George > wrote:

> I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
> Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
> and they always have homemade pierogies.
>
> There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
> much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
> and borsht.

Oh I agree, I always assumed the deep-fried tavern perogies were
some known commercial brand, but I never went far enough to check it
out because I didn't care. It's still a great treat in a bar though.
When I was growing up Allentown was mainly Pennsylvania Dutch, which
just means they're Germans who settled in Pennsylvania. But with the
arrival of immigrants into that one small area called the Ward also
came the arrival of new foods that branched out and became commonplace
to the whole area. I haven't had perogies in years, not searching,
don't care enough - but the ones my grandmother made were from
scratch, and I always assumed the tavern ones were brought in in
frozen bags like french fries or whatever else the deep fryer
accepts. Yeah, I bought the Mrs T brand once about 30 years ago just
to see - not so good, not so good at all. But I was not surprised by
that. Not only tasteless, but also quite thin and sparse. Ever have
them made with sauerkraut? One of those for every 3 with potato and
cheese seemed a nice ratio for me.

TJ

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 01:54 PM

On 7/16/2011 10:00 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:39:04 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> Getting harder to find because they can't get the help because it is so
>> labor intensive. One local church tried to go with those industrial
>> "MrsTs" which aren't even close if you know what real ones taste like.
>> That was the last year for their picnic.

> That's one reason why I wouldn't bother trying frozen. I won't like
> it and paint all pierogies with that brush. I know the difference
> between home made and frozen pot stickers and the frozen type is a big
> waste of money, AFAIC.

They survive well when frozen if you are freezing your own or good ones.
The problem is the usual frozen ones are industrial versions.

I do the same with gyoza. It is just as easy to make a big batch and
freeze them. Frozen industrial pot stickers are simply a waste of time
because of their poor quality.

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 01:55 PM

On 7/17/2011 12:35 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:37:53 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/16/2011 10:00 PM, sf wrote:

>>> That's one reason why I wouldn't bother trying frozen. I won't like
>>> it and paint all pierogies with that brush. I know the difference
>>> between home made and frozen pot stickers and the frozen type is a big
>>> waste of money, AFAIC.
>>>

>> But homemade is very cheap to make.

> And homemade is delicious.
>
>> A lot of work, but literally only a
>> few dollars for the two bags that I froze. I didn't count them.

> Same with pot stickers, which is why most people won't make them from
> scratch. They don't mind investing the money, but they mind investing
> the time.

I do because I like quality. I don't do them often but I would rather
have good ones once in a while instead of industrial versions any time.

George[_1_] 17-07-2011 01:57 PM

On 7/17/2011 1:14 AM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Jul 16, 9:33 pm, > wrote:
>
>> I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
>> Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
>> and they always have homemade pierogies.
>>
>> There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
>> much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
>> and borsht.

> Oh I agree, I always assumed the deep-fried tavern perogies were
> some known commercial brand, but I never went far enough to check it
> out because I didn't care. It's still a great treat in a bar though.
> When I was growing up Allentown was mainly Pennsylvania Dutch, which
> just means they're Germans who settled in Pennsylvania. But with the
> arrival of immigrants into that one small area called the Ward also
> came the arrival of new foods that branched out and became commonplace
> to the whole area. I haven't had perogies in years, not searching,
> don't care enough - but the ones my grandmother made were from
> scratch, and I always assumed the tavern ones were brought in in
> frozen bags like french fries or whatever else the deep fryer
> accepts. Yeah, I bought the Mrs T brand once about 30 years ago just
> to see - not so good, not so good at all. But I was not surprised by
> that. Not only tasteless, but also quite thin and sparse. Ever have
> them made with sauerkraut? One of those for every 3 with potato and
> cheese seemed a nice ratio for me.
>
> TJ

I think I have had them every possible way including the fruit filled
versions. My favorites sauerkraut version is when the filling is half
kraut and half cabbage.

sf[_9_] 17-07-2011 05:05 PM

Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato And Cheese Pierogi

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:54:27 -0400, George >
wrote:

> I do the same with gyoza.

Why do you use the japanese word?

Brooklyn1 17-07-2011 08:42 PM

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 08:54:27 -0400, George >
>wrote:
>
>> I do the same with gyoza.

>Why do you use the japanese word?

He thinks it will impress those who don't realize it's the same.
I've made my own but it's a lot of work for what's essentially cheapo
peasant food... I think Mrs T's is as good or better than any homemade
I've ever tried. The same with ravioli, I've made those too but
they're hardly worth the trouble... I used to buy Silver Star, they
were better than homemade... unfortunately I think they decided to
close shop:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...73593856016892

Tommy Joe 18-07-2011 01:08 AM

On Jul 17, 8:57*am, George > wrote:

> I think I have had them every possible way including the fruit filled
> versions. My favorites sauerkraut version is when the filling is half
> kraut and half cabbage.

My experience with variety is less than yours. But when perogies
are brought up, most people only know of the cheese and potato ones.
I'm sure you could do almost anything with them same as a taco or
burrito or sandwich of any kind. How about an icecream perogie?

TJ