Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Repost: Mexico City Tamales

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chien
Subject: Mexico City Tamales
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:24:34 GMT

We decided to begin our tour of Mexico City by exploring the city's main
historic district, which comprises museums, hotels, cathedrals and
public buildings. It was what they call a "contaminated" day, meaning
the air pollution was particularly virulent, so that while trading her
battle fatigues for a traditional multicolored Mexican dress, Sheryl Ann
refused to dispense with her gas mask, and even insisted that Puffy and
I wear them too, so that we looked more like visitors from the Pleiades
than two tourista grandmothers and their pet perro from Hinkville.

Sheryl Ann had by now acquired a rather uncontrollable addiction to
Mexican cigarettes, so she was forever pulling up her mask to have a
puff, and if that wasn't an incongruous sight.

We began our walking tour at the Zocalo, or central plaza, the world's
largest square. Of course Sheryl Ann took the opportunity to play fetch
with Puffy here. Alas, the little poodle had a hard time seeing from
beneath his gas mask. He kept bumping into walls and lifting his leg on
other tourists, so that we were forced to seek refuge at the baroque
National Palace from a hoard of angry passersby with wet trouser legs.

The palace is the headquarters of the Government of Mexico and was built
during the time of the colony on top of the old palace of Moctezuma.
Here is the bell that was rung 190 years ago by the Priest Don Miguel
Hidalgo y Costilla to signal the beginning of Mexican Independence, and
here is where Sheryl Ann's shenanigans entailed her sneaking into the
bell tower and ringing away, all the time yelling, "Viva la Revolucion!"
until security was called and we were politely but firmly escorted out
of the building and given directions to the Metropolitan Cathedral,
where it was strongly suggested that Sheryl Ann confess her sins and
repent before the blessed Virgin.

The cathedral, we learned, built with materials from the old Temple of
Moctezum, was started in 1563 and finished in 1813. Sheryl Ann commented
that that was a fine how do you do, spending 250 years building one
church, although Fred Funk, her erstwhile handyman, who had been
contracted to build a breezeway for her double wide, but with his dilly
dallying and penchant for malt liquor never did get the job done right,
had spent almost as long on that project.

By now we were ready for lunch, so we stopped and got some tamales from
a street vendor, which we intended to eat from atop the 43 floor Latin
American tower, the view from which we had been told was splendiferous.
In fact, it was anything but. With the diminished visibility it was
little better than the picnic grounds at the Hinkville Effluvia Factory.
But at least it reminded us of home.

Mexico City Tamales

24 dried corn husks
1 cup lard
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups masa harina mix
1 1/2 cups warm pork or poultry broth
filling: Turkey in Green Mole Sauce, or Pork in Red Tomato Sauce

Soak corn husks: cover with warm water; weigh down. Let soak at least 3
hours or overnight.

For tamale dough: Beat lard and salt until fluffy. Slowly beat in masa
harina mix alternately with broth until very light and fluffy.

To assemble tamales: Drain corn husks, pat dry. Spread 2 tablespoons
dough on center of husks forming a 3 x 2-inch rectangle and spreading
completely to right edge. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling lengthwise down
center of rectangle. To enclose tamales, turn right side over to center
of filling; fold left side over filling, allowing plain part of husk to
wrap around filling. Fold top end down over bottom end. Secure ends by
tying a string around center of tamale.

To steam tamales, place a rack 2 inches above gently boiling water in
steamer or 4-quart dutch oven. Stack tamales, folded side down, on
rack. Cover, steam about 2 hours or until done. To test for doneness,
remove one tamale from center and one from side of steamer. Open husks;
tamales should be firm and come away easily from husk. Makes 24.

Turkey in Green Mole Sauce

3/4 cup turkey or chicken broth
1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup canned, drained, chopped tomatillos
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 garlic cloves
2 sprigs fresh coriander
2 tablespoons lard
2 cups shredded, cooked turkey or chicken

Place broth, sesame seed, cumin and pepper in blender container. Blend
until smooth, set aside. Place tomatillos, onions, chilies, salt,
garlic and coriander in blender, blend until smooth. Heat lard
in heavy 10-inch skillet; add tomato puree [hmm, I noticed this recipe
neglected to list the amount. I'd say try 1/8 to 1/2 cup]. Cook over
high heat about 10 minutes or until reduced, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat. Gradually stir in sesame seed mixture. Do not boil. Add
turkey; continue cooking over low heat 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture
is thick.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Note: To use fresh tomatillos, remove papery husks; rinse. Place in
saucepan, cover with water. Simmer about 10 minutes, or until tender.
Drain.

Pork in Red Tomato Sauce

2 large ripe tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lard
1/2 cup choped onion
4 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 cups shredded cooked pork

Broil tomatoes until charred on all sides; cool. Place in blender
container with garlic and salt; blend until smooth. Heat lard in heavy
10-inch skillet. Add onion; saute until tender. Add tomato puree and
chilies. Continue cooking over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add pork;
continue cooking over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is
thick. Makes about 2 1/2 cups pork filling.