Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Paleo/GAPS/Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet Suggestions?

Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

I am the OP, and I never said we needed to eliminate all grains.
Read the original post. We are doing a two week elimination diet of
gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, citrus, strawberries, chocolate and almonds.
We will begin testing those on the 15th day. I have three boys with
very, very dry skin, two with eczema. We are looking for a possible
food related reason for their suffering. We have done skin tests for
allergies and will be doing a blood test after this if we find nothing
through the diet. I am cooking this way in general because I have seven
children and don't want to do two different meals three times a day. I
don't want to tempt/tease those on the elimination diet, and I don't
want the hassle of cooking six meals a day.

I would think that blood test could be done first. Their was one test that
my family members are going through and each one of us had a major Vitamin
D deficiency. My doctor has me on 3,000 IU per day of D3. Seems my skin
problem are clearing up. It seems that everyone these days are using heavy
sun blockers. But I burn so easily when outside. Or it is a genetic trait
among us.

Are your kids teenagers going through that phase of life where pimples and
dry skin is a part of life. It may go away after time after the hormones
settle down.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote in message
Nad R wrote:

I would think that blood test could be done first.

As I understand it, doing the elimination diet and "testing" each
allergen afterward is the standard of practice, partly because the tests
can miss some things. We'll do the blood test to see if there is
something else we might have missed.

It is certainly not the standard here. If there are multiple allergies,
such testing will not find them. It is common practise here for skin pricks
for IgE and blood test for IgG.

snip

Old 11-07-2011, 03:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:

I would think that blood test could be done first.

As I understand it, doing the elimination diet and "testing" each
allergen afterward is the standard of practice, partly because the tests
can miss some things. We'll do the blood test to see if there is
something else we might have missed.

Their was one test that
my family members are going through and each one of us had a major
Vitamin
D deficiency. My doctor has me on 3,000 IU per day of D3. Seems my skin
problem are clearing up. It seems that everyone these days are using
heavy
sun blockers. But I burn so easily when outside. Or it is a genetic trait
among us.

We live in a place that has sun 300 days a year. :-) We let them go
outside a lot. When they are indoors a lot we give a vitamin D
supplement.

Are your kids teenagers going through that phase of life where pimples
and
dry skin is a part of life. It may go away after time after the hormones
settle down.

The oldest with the skin problems is 11. He was diagnosed with
eczema at age three or four. The youngest of the three will be five in
August. They all have inherited my dry skin, but to an extent I never,
ever had. I'm actually hoping that hormones will make their skin
produce more oil.

My younger son had eczema as a child and the Dr told us that a high % of
such cases went on to become asthmatic until adolescence when it was
replaced by chronic hay fever.