Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Hang on! Here we gooo....

I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:

"Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
gigabytes of monthly data usage."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html

Bend over!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>
>"Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
>between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
>gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>
>http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>
>Bend over!
>
>nb

From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
new customers.

I hope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Post > wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>>
>> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
>> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
>> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>>
>> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>>
>> Bend over!
>>
>> nb

> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
> new customers.
>
> I hope.

The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for it.
Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nad R" > wrote in message
> James Post > wrote:
>> On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>>>
>>> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
>>> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
>>> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>>>
>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>>>
>>> Bend over!
>>>
>>> nb

>> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
>> new customers.
>>
>> I hope.

> The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for
> it.
> Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
> plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong
> time.

I have a data plan mostly to check my e-mail. Too tiny a screen and keys to
do much else. I use so few bytes it is ridiculous. Actually, I don't see
how people can be such data hogs. What the heck do they do to use up so much
data?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 18:12:06 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>James Post > wrote:
>> On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>>>
>>> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
>>> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
>>> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>>>
>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>>>
>>> Bend over!
>>>
>>> nb

>> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
>> new customers.
>>
>> I hope.

>The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for it.
>Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
>plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong time.

I own a couple websites, so the unlimited data plan at $30 a month is
worth every cent to me. I hope the cost stays the same for me. It's
handy for me to be able to show the sites to a potential customer when
out and about without dragging a laptop around with me. I can email
them the URL from the phone after they look at the site.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 11:27:04 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

>I have a data plan mostly to check my e-mail. Too tiny a screen and keys to
>do much else. I use so few bytes it is ridiculous. Actually, I don't see
>how people can be such data hogs. What the heck do they do to use up so much
>data?

Texting and Gaming are the only two things I can think of that would
use data to a 2 Gig amount. Maybe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> I have a data plan mostly to check my e-mail. Too tiny a screen and keys to
> do much else. I use so few bytes it is ridiculous. Actually, I don't see
> how people can be such data hogs. What the heck do they do to use up so much
> data?

Well, I sure like listening to music on Pandora and while at the gym I'm
often watching Netflix or Youtube while on the treadmill. I love being
able to deposit checks to my bank just by taking a picture of the check
and hitting that send button. I love all the travel aps. I *love* my
Iphone and wonder why I resisted it so long?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>
> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>
> Bend over!

Most of them won't care because it's either a work phone paid for by
their employer or they can write it off at the end of the year - and
that's how Verizon gets away with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:31:06 -0400, James Post >
wrote:

> Texting and Gaming are the only two things I can think of that would
> use data to a 2 Gig amount. Maybe?

They send photos with their texts and phone photos are huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2011 2:12 PM, Nad R wrote:
> James > wrote:
>> On 6 Jul 2011 17:24:21 GMT, > wrote:
>>
>>> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>>>
>>> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
>>> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
>>> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>>>
>>> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>>>
>>> Bend over!
>>>
>>> nb

>> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
>> new customers.
>>
>> I hope.

> The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for it.
> Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
> plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong time.

There is no WiFi in the places I work and I have tried using various
public WiFi a number of times and it is rare that you can actually do
anything because it is so slow or just totally unusable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:13:44 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:31:06 -0400, James Post >
>wrote:
>
>> Texting and Gaming are the only two things I can think of that would
>> use data to a 2 Gig amount. Maybe?

>They send photos with their texts and phone photos are huge.

Even though I have the unlimited data plan, I don't abuse it doing
things I can just as easily do on my home PC. I've also found that
lots of people have no idea that they can adjust the size of the
photos that are taken on their phones. Many have it set to multi-meg
sized pics when the same pic knocked down to 50KB would work just as
well for them. Most of the pics I take are jpegs at about 20KB each.
They work just great for every day pics.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Post wrote:

> Even though I have the unlimited data plan, I don't abuse it doing
> things I can just as easily do on my home PC. I've also found that
> lots of people have no idea that they can adjust the size of the
> photos that are taken on their phones. Many have it set to multi-meg
> sized pics when the same pic knocked down to 50KB would work just as
> well for them. Most of the pics I take are jpegs at about 20KB each.
> They work just great for every day pics.

every time I go to send a photo via my phone it asks me what size I want
to send it as (small, med, large).
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2011 1:27 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Nad > wrote in message
>> James > wrote:

>>> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
>>> new customers.
>>>
>>> I hope.

>> The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for
>> it.
>> Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
>> plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong
>> time.
>>

> I have a data plan mostly to check my e-mail. Too tiny a screen and keys to
> do much else. I use so few bytes it is ridiculous. Actually, I don't see
> how people can be such data hogs. What the heck do they do to use up so much
> data?

I'm one of the lucky ones with a contract and unlimited data. I don't
stream videos or watch TV on mine so I'm probably at the low end of data
users, but I love my Android and I would never go back to just a dumb
phone again. My smartphone does so much for me and many of the apps
save me money so in the long run, the cost of monthly access almost pays
for itself with the discount I get via the apps.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 19:24:15 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>James Post wrote:
>
>> Even though I have the unlimited data plan, I don't abuse it doing
>> things I can just as easily do on my home PC. I've also found that
>> lots of people have no idea that they can adjust the size of the
>> photos that are taken on their phones. Many have it set to multi-meg
>> sized pics when the same pic knocked down to 50KB would work just as
>> well for them. Most of the pics I take are jpegs at about 20KB each.
>> They work just great for every day pics.

>every time I go to send a photo via my phone it asks me what size I want
>to send it as (small, med, large).
>Goomba

I believe I used my DroidX one time to send a few pics, right after
buying the phone. I don't remember if mine asked for pic size or not.
It may have. Considering the costs paid by some for data transfer, it
would be a very cool feature on all smart phones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>
> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will
> choose between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes
> or $80 for 10 gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>
> Bend over!
>
> nb

Ouch. I'm gonna try Cricket soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2011 1:24 PM, notbob wrote:
> I've been warning you. Let the gouging begin!:
>
> "Later this week, new Verizon Wireless smartphone users will choose
> between paying $30 for 2 gigabytes, $50 for 5 gigabytes or $80 for 10
> gigabytes of monthly data usage."
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...19-501465.html
>
> Bend over!

Not just wireless. They got me on FIOS. A few months ago someone
"accidentally" disconnected my service and I was without phone, TV and
internet for 4 days until they could dispatch someone. To compensate me
for my trouble, they gave me 3 months of free Showtime/Starz (I found
out later that isn't much of a compensation). So now to keep the
package, the bill comes due. I noticed that my bill went up by $30 not
the $16 for the movie package. Their explanation was that at the same
time my bundle cost increased. I don't want to drop STARZ because of a
show I got hooked on, but I might do that and just wait for it on DVD.
These entertainment companies get you in every way.

The show is Camelot. I don't even know if it's going to keep running
since I haven't seen any previews.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hang on! Here we gooo....

On Jul 6, 1:27*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "Nad R" > wrote in message

> > James Post > wrote:

> >> From what I've read, it doesn't pertain to existing customers, just
> >> new customers.

> >> I hope.

> > The data plans are luxury items, if you do not like them do not pay for
> > it.
> > Just get a basic phone. I am holding out for an iPhone without the data
> > plan, most places I goto have wifi. I know I will be waiting a looong
> > time.

> I have a data plan mostly to check my e-mail. *Too tiny a screen and keys to
> do much else. *I use so few bytes it is ridiculous. Actually, I don't see
> how people can be such data hogs. What the heck do they do to use up so much
> data?

Well they have retarded advertisements on TV showing numbskulls
watching movies on their phones. And the younger generation seems to
be incapable of going ten seconds without *sharing* every minutia of
their lives. I don't have a cell phone. I think for the vast
majority of people they are totally unnecessary.

Where the abalone, and crayfish hang out PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 16 21-09-2008 02:43 PM
I think I am getting the hang of this.. Childfree Abby Barbecue 9 14-09-2007 09:50 PM
Home cooking, and a nice place to hang out... [email protected] General Cooking 0 26-03-2007 08:21 AM
How to hang meat Ronnie Barbecue 4 23-07-2006 03:22 PM
[Help] {Tech sup] Aloha POS was hang and day-end twice [email protected] Restaurants 0 16-01-2006 01:05 PM