Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Country Style Pork Ribs - How to?

Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling country
style ribs.
If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous
look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y

They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on the
Weber charcoal grill.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
> grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling
> country style ribs.
> If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's
> humerous look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
>
> They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on the
> Weber charcoal grill.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Kent

I grill them indirect with lump charcoal. They take about 2 hours to cook.
I also sauce them with a high sugar sauce so they caramelize by the time
they're done.

The boneless ones shrink up weird and don't cook nearly as nice as the bone
in ones.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:02:03 -0700, "Kent" >
wrote:

> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
> grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling country
> style ribs.

<snip>

> Thanks for any thoughts.

I've forgotten if you're using gas or charcoal. You want the inside
to cook and the outside to brown nicely without charring. For
charcoal, I'd do 5 pounds over indirect heat (if you can manage it);
otherwise medium/med-low on a preheated gas grill.

I don't like the rubs that are on the internet, so I use my preferred
combination of herbs with no sugar or chili powder in it. BBQ sauce
is optional.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
> grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling country
> style ribs.
> If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous
> look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
>
> They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on the
> Weber charcoal grill.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Kent

I usually marinate them in jerk rub (Walkerswood) and then braise them
until they are fall apart tender and serve with rice and peas. I expect
you could smoke them as well, but I don't think grilling will give them
enough time to become tender.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like
> to grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for
> grilling country style ribs. If you want to see something pretty
> ridiculous to point where it's humerous look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old
> Time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
>
> They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on
> the Weber charcoal grill.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Kent

Hi Kent, just had a discussion on these with one of the others here.
'Technically' they are not 'ribs' but another cut that seems to vary
from area to area. Ignore it if someone tries to tell you an exact cut
as they are only speaking their area on it.

The ones here seem to be the meaty part below the ribs and over the
stomach and the cut is usually 5-6 inches long, and sort of 'square'
but that is often crosscut for you to block shaped. There will be some
silver tissue running through it and bits of fatty material as well but
most is meat. Color will range from a medium 'red' to a 'fairly dark
pink', often in the same slice.

Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. You can precook them mostly in a
crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if you like.

Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. Marinade
several hours. Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area for
coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to the
center as well. Takes about 2-3 hours.

Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize and
used in fast stirfrys.

Leftovers do very well in pancit (cantonese or glass noodle) or fried
rice if the seasonings used match.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Kent" >
wrote:

> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
> grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling country
> style ribs.
> If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous
> look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
>
> They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on the
> Weber charcoal grill.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Kent

I wouldn't grill them myself. I cook them at 225F for 4 to 5 hours in my
smoke cooker (without using wood chips). I flavor them with a rub of
salt, coarse grind pepper, and garlic- no sauce. There's plenty of
flavor and they are succulent. There's a slight residual smoke flavor
imparted by the cooker.

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 4:55*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> Kent wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like
> > to grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for
> > grilling country style ribs. *If you want to see something pretty
> > ridiculous to point where it's humerous look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old
> > Time.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y

> > They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on
> > the Weber charcoal grill.

> > Thanks for any thoughts.

> > Kent

> Hi Kent, just had a discussion on these with one of the others here.
> 'Technically' they are not 'ribs' but another cut that seems to vary
> from area to area. *Ignore it if someone tries to tell you an exact cut
> as they are only speaking their area on it.
>
> The ones here seem to be the meaty part below the ribs and over the
> stomach and the cut is usually 5-6 inches long, and sort of 'square'
> but that is often crosscut for you to block shaped. *There will be some
> silver tissue running through it and bits of fatty material as well but
> most is meat. *Color will range from a medium 'red' to a 'fairly dark
> pink', often in the same slice.
>
> Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
> hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. *You can precook them mostly in a
> crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if you like.
>
> Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
> sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. *Marinade
> several hours. *Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area for
> coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to the
> center as well. *Takes about 2-3 hours.
>
> Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize and
> used in fast stirfrys.
>
> Leftovers do very well in pancit (cantonese or glass noodle) or fried
> rice if the seasonings used match.

Thanks for that. If Kent had not ignored the magnificent
boneless troll ribs thread he'd already know everything there is to
know about the topic. It makes me feel good to know I am not the only
to have come in here referring to that meat product as boneless ribs.
I'm sure they're great grilled, but my methods for cooking are very
limited. So far I have only broiled them. I think they're great. I
broil them - depending on thickness about 7 to 9 minutes per side -
then put them in the fridge and use them pilafs or mix them with
already cooked red taters and veggies and toss in the microwave.
Interesting to see this topic come up again. But where are the
instigators who jumped all over me for using the term 'boneless pork
ribs', as it's obvious I'm not the only one who has seen the product
labeled that way. Sorry, had to get that out.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol wrote:

> Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
> sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. Marinade
> several hours. Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area for
> coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to the
> center as well. Takes about 2-3 hours.
>
> Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize and
> used in fast stirfrys.

Because of their shape, you can easily cut them into cubes for kabobs.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 4:55 pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
> hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. You can precook them mostly in a
> crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if you like.
>
> Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
> sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. Marinade
> several hours. Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area for
> coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to the
> center as well. Takes about 2-3 hours.
>
> Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize and
> used in fast stirfrys.

> Leftovers do very well in pancit (cantonese or glass noodle) or fried
> rice if the seasonings used match.

I can't and won't make any suggestions on how to cook them as we
could be accidentally talking about two different cuts of meat, plus
I'm not claiming to be an accomplished cook, only that I've used the
boneless ribs and I always broil them.

I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but I
approached the butcher at my supermarket about the ribs a few weeks
ago. I asked what they really were. He pointed to a a cut called
'boneless loin rib end roast'. It was kind of thick. He told me that
they take the roast and cut it horizontally into two thinner pieces,
then score them width-wise every inch or so, or cut them all the way
through. These things cook quick. I don't care if they're almost
pink in the middle as I use them in pilafs and other dishes that are
going to be microwaved a bit anyway. But my style of cooking is my
own selfish style that has been developed over the years for my own
selfish needs. I like to cook or prep things for 6 days or so, then
eat the same thing every day, but slightly adjusting if I feel so
inclined, as we already discussed. But the butcher told me that's
what the so-called boneless pork ribs are - a part of meat cut from
the rib end or the back or whatever, it's just meat to me.

Tommy 'the animal' Jo Jo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Jul 1, 4:55*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> > Kent wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd
> > > like to grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes
> > > for grilling country style ribs. *If you want to see something
> > > pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous look at the BBQ
> > > Pit Boys Old Time.

> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y

> > > They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan
> > > on the Weber charcoal grill.

> > > Thanks for any thoughts.

> > > Kent

> > Hi Kent, just had a discussion on these with one of the others here.
> > 'Technically' they are not 'ribs' but another cut that seems to vary
> > from area to area. *Ignore it if someone tries to tell you an exact
> > cut as they are only speaking their area on it.
> >
> > The ones here seem to be the meaty part below the ribs and over the
> > stomach and the cut is usually 5-6 inches long, and sort of 'square'
> > but that is often crosscut for you to block shaped. *There will be
> > some silver tissue running through it and bits of fatty material as
> > well but most is meat. *Color will range from a medium 'red' to a
> > 'fairly dark pink', often in the same slice.
> >
> > Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
> > hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. *You can precook them mostly
> > in a crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if
> > you like.
> >
> > Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
> > sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. *Marinade
> > several hours. *Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area
> > for coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to
> > the center as well. *Takes about 2-3 hours.
> >
> > Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize
> > and used in fast stirfrys.
> >
> > Leftovers do very well in pancit (cantonese or glass noodle) or
> > fried rice if the seasonings used match.

> Thanks for that. If Kent had not ignored the magnificent
> boneless troll ribs thread he'd already know everything there is to
> know about the topic. It makes me feel good to know I am not the only
> to have come in here referring to that meat product as boneless ribs.
> I'm sure they're great grilled, but my methods for cooking are very
> limited. So far I have only broiled them. I think they're great. I
> broil them - depending on thickness about 7 to 9 minutes per side -
> then put them in the fridge and use them pilafs or mix them with
> already cooked red taters and veggies and toss in the microwave.
> Interesting to see this topic come up again. But where are the
> instigators who jumped all over me for using the term 'boneless pork
> ribs', as it's obvious I'm not the only one who has seen the product
> labeled that way. Sorry, had to get that out.
>
> TJ

LOL! Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.

Meantime, just cleaned my chest freezer a bit. I haven't ground up
food for the dogs in a bit and need to get more. In there was an
improperly stored (now freezer burned) packet of this. The dogs will
love it! They can't seem to taste freezer burn so as long as it hasn't
been left out to go bad, is fine 'raw feeding' material.

It's defrosting along with some stray chicken bits and other oddiments
we aren't really sure of (grin). Next you will see Sheldon go 'ape' on
why chest freezers are bad. In fact, he's wrong if you have dogs and a
good quality grinder.

As I typoed to you, Don found the last pack of 10lbs chicken necks for
the grinder. We buy them and other parts in 20-40lb bulk cases (bagged
10lbs each inside) for 39-69 cents a lb. Human food grade all of it.
It goes in the tasin grinder, bone and all for the dogs. Blue
Wilderness kibble is paired with this or some canned grain-free if we
havent ground up any in a bit. I'll admit, grinding my own is a heck
of a lot cheaper than grain-free canned dog food. Both of my dogs
*and* my cat have grain issues though Daisy-chan (cat) isn't *too* bad
about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Carol wrote:
>
> > Main way we do it when grilling is a marinade of 'hot sweet chicken
> > sauce', soy sauce, a little vinegar, and worstershire. Marinade
> > several hours. Our 'smoker/grill' is the sort with the side area
> > for coals and wood chips though you can add coals and/or chips to
> > the center as well. Takes about 2-3 hours.
> >
> > Another thing they do well with, is being sliced down to bitesize
> > and used in fast stirfrys.

> Because of their shape, you can easily cut them into cubes for kabobs.

Absolutely! Most of the work is done for you in that case. TJ gets a
possibly thinner cut of what seems the same they sell here (not
suprising, we live not that far from one another with me in southern VA
and him in NC). It's possible a major 'marketroid pork place' is
servicing both our markets.

He broils them 15-18 mins or so (flipping midway through).

Too bad the set we just found in the freezer depth wasn't re-wrapped.
Charlotte probably put it away for us and it wasn't in the right bin so
now it's petfood for the grinder once it defrosts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 14:17:51 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Thanks for that. If Kent had not ignored the magnificent
> > boneless troll ribs thread he'd already know everything there is to
> > know about the topic. It makes me feel good to know I am not the only
> > to have come in here referring to that meat product as boneless ribs.
> > I'm sure they're great grilled, but my methods for cooking are very
> > limited. So far I have only broiled them. I think they're great. I
> > broil them - depending on thickness about 7 to 9 minutes per side -
> > then put them in the fridge and use them pilafs or mix them with
> > already cooked red taters and veggies and toss in the microwave.
> > Interesting to see this topic come up again. But where are the
> > instigators who jumped all over me for using the term 'boneless pork
> > ribs', as it's obvious I'm not the only one who has seen the product
> > labeled that way. Sorry, had to get that out.
> >
> > TJ

> LOL! Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.

They're the usually the same people who say there's no such thing as a
boneless pork chop. <shrug>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2011 4:55 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
> hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. You can precook them mostly in a
> crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if you like.

I've tried several methods because I really like them. But incorrectly
cooked, they will be tough and dry. My mom used to pre-cook them in the
oven then finish on the grill. I can't remember if she actually braised
them or just dry cooked them, but they turned out well. I've tried the
crockpot method and finish on the grill but they were horribly dried out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 3:17*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> LOL! *Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.
>
> Meantime, just cleaned my chest freezer a bit. *I haven't ground up
> food for the dogs in a bit and need to get more. In there was an
> improperly stored (now freezer burned) packet of this. *The dogs will
> love it! *They can't seem to taste freezer burn so as long as it hasn't
> been left out to go bad, is fine 'raw feeding' material.
>
> It's defrosting along with some stray chicken bits and other oddiments
> we aren't really sure of (grin). *Next you will see Sheldon go 'ape' on
> why chest freezers are bad. *In fact, he's wrong if you have dogs and a
> good quality grinder.
>
> As I typoed to you, Don found the last pack of 10lbs chicken necks for
> the grinder. *We buy them and other parts in 20-40lb bulk cases (bagged
> 10lbs each inside) for 39-69 cents a lb. *Human food grade all of it.
> It goes in the tasin grinder, bone and all for the dogs. *Blue
> Wilderness kibble is paired with this or some canned grain-free if we
> havent ground up any in a bit. *I'll admit, grinding my own is a heck
> of a lot cheaper than grain-free canned dog food. *Both of my dogs
> *and* my cat have grain issues though Daisy-chan (cat) isn't *too* bad
> about it.

My entire adult life I've lived in furnished apartments. I have no
idea what it's like to own a freezer. I mean a full freezer, not the
type that sits atop a fridge. When I moved into this place 16 years
ago, they had a fridge like all the others I'd ever seen, the type
with the little metal freezer in the actual fridge, not a separate
compartment. It worked ok, but not on ice cream. I could not keep
ice cream bars and so forth hard. Never was able to do that with the
old fashioned freezer in the fridge thing.

But get this. One day about 12 years ago I had a little extra cash
and decided I was sick of it. So I looked in the newspaper for used
fridges. I found one and called the guy. I went by in the cab one
night and checked it out. It looked kind of big. I should have used
a tape measure, but I'm not a tape measure guy. So I said ok, I'll
buy it. But how are you going to get it to me?

The guy said he and his buddy would bring it in a pickup. They
did. This thing had a freezer with a separate door, the first time in
my life I'd owned such a thing. Oh such joy. But I had
underestimated the things size. I live on the third floor (top) of
this building, and there is no elevator. This building went up in
1927. The steps are narrow and twist into the hallways. It took all
3 of us an hour to get it up there. We used cardboard and slid the
thing up, then stood it up, but not all the way, as it would bang into
the ceiling and go nowhere. I was drenched in sweat. I paid the two
guys for their trouble, and believe me, there was plenty of it.

Anyway, about 3, maybe 4 years later, I'm noticing my electric
bill is going up - from like $20 a month to nearly $40. Then up to
$50. I'm calling the power company and telling them they must be
getting a false reading. They're sticking to their guns. I'm getting
****ed about. Then one day the big fridge died. I went out to get
something and the food was warm. I opened the freezer and the ice
cubes had melted.

I called the apartment manager and told them I needed a fridge.
I expected a used one, but for them it was more cost effective to buy
a new one at Sears. It took a week. A few months after they
installed the new fridge, which is the most modern one I've ever owned
- cheap and plastic-like, but very effective - I noticed one day that
my electric bill had gone down to below $20. All that time the big
fridge was dying on me and sucking up electricity and I never
suspected it. Anyway, that was a funny and stupid adventure in my
personal freezer/fridge history. --- Yeah, I get it, feed the dogs
the old stuff just to test it out, the way Kings used to have peasants
sample their food before eating, to test it for poison or freshness.
Looks like the boneless pork ribs topic will not die.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 3:17*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> LOL! *Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.
>
> Meantime, just cleaned my chest freezer a bit. *I haven't ground up
> food for the dogs in a bit and need to get more. In there was an
> improperly stored (now freezer burned) packet of this. *The dogs will
> love it! *They can't seem to taste freezer burn so as long as it hasn't
> been left out to go bad, is fine 'raw feeding' material.
>
> It's defrosting along with some stray chicken bits and other oddiments
> we aren't really sure of (grin). *Next you will see Sheldon go 'ape' on
> why chest freezers are bad. *In fact, he's wrong if you have dogs and a
> good quality grinder.
>
> As I typoed to you, Don found the last pack of 10lbs chicken necks for
> the grinder. *We buy them and other parts in 20-40lb bulk cases (bagged
> 10lbs each inside) for 39-69 cents a lb. *Human food grade all of it.
> It goes in the tasin grinder, bone and all for the dogs. *Blue
> Wilderness kibble is paired with this or some canned grain-free if we
> havent ground up any in a bit. *I'll admit, grinding my own is a heck
> of a lot cheaper than grain-free canned dog food. *Both of my dogs
> *and* my cat have grain issues though Daisy-chan (cat) isn't *too* bad
> about it.

I'm ****ed. I just typed a rather long and possibly boring
response to your post and sent it off but it never took. The two
posts I typed after that did show up. It could have been my fault.
But now I'm ****ed because I want to re-tell that same story, the one
that didn't show up, but I'm not sure I've got the energy. I'll try
to make it short.

I have never owned a freezer in my life. In fact, I've lived in
furnished apartments all my adult life and never had a refrigerator
with a separate freezer door till about 12 years ago. The one they
had in here was like all the others I'd ever had, the tiny metal
freezer inside the fridge. It worked but would not keep ice cream
hard. So one day when I had a hundred bucks to spare I started
looking in the paper for a good used refrigerator, a newer one with a
separate freezer door.

I went out in the cab to check it out. I didn't take a tape
measure because I've never owned one. This fridge was huge. But I
never thought about it, just said ok I'll take it. So the guy said he
and his buddy would deliver it. When they got here it took all 3 of
us an hour to get it up the steps. I live on the top floor (3rd),
with no elevator and really narrow steps that twist into the
hallways. A real bitch getting that thing up the steps.

So I get it plugged in and I'm delighted that finally I have a
freezer that works. The thing was so huge that it hardly didn't fit
into the kitchen. Pretty stupid actually.

So, unrelated to that, or so I thought, a few months later I
noticed my electric bill had gone from the low $20s up to the $40 and
even to $50 on one occasion, and I don't use air conditioning. I
called the company and told them they were probably getting a false
reading. I really believed that was the case.

Then one day about a year later I got up to get something from
the fridge and found that it was warm. I opened the freezer and the
ice cubes were melted. The fridge was shot. I told the manager about
it and they said it would be more cost effective for them to just get
me a new one from Sears than to refurbish an older one.

The new one from Sears seemed cheap because it was light and
plastic-like. But it works really well. Anyway, about two months
after putting in the new fridge I got my electric bill one day and saw
it was down below $20. That's when it hit me. The big fridge was
dying. It was sucking in too much electricity. Sure, it was huge,
but the bill did not skyrocket when I first got it, only when it
started to falter, which I never noticed till it went all the way
out.

Anyway, I've seen actual freezers but have never owned one or
the space for it either. So you try out your possibly poisoned meat
on your dogs first, is that it? Like a King who has a peasant sample
his food before eating it himself, to test for poison or disease. Is
that it? No really, if I had a dog, I'd make my own dog food too.
It's probably even cheaper than buying it in the can or box. In my
teens I had a dog with diarrhea. The doctor told me to boil hamberger
meat with shredded wheat, equal parts, and sure enough, in just a few
days the problem was gone. Thanks for your post. I hope this one
takes.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's great, I sit down and re-write an entire post only to find
the original shows up late. God, what an idiot I am. Sometimes.
Hope you didn't read them both, didn't mean to force them on you like
that. I really thought it was lost because my other posts that I
typed after that one had showed up, so I just figured it was lost for
good. Ok, I'm outta here.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> LOL! Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
>> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.

> They're the usually the same people who say there's no such thing as a
> boneless pork chop. <shrug>

There's only one person who says that, and he's a clueless dotard.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marty wrote about country style ribs:

>> Because of their shape, you can easily cut them into cubes for kabobs.

> Per the link I posted which I should have prefaced with "everything you
> ever wanted to know about country style ribs", because it is a history of
> what they are and how they got that way, it's most likely pork butt and as
> such isn't likely to do well with a real fast hot cook typical of kabobs.
> The temp needs to get up there and spend a little time rendering and
> breaking down the fat and collagen.

That's true; I neglected to say that I'd cook the kabobs over a medium or
low fire. The particular idea I had in mind was something like this:

Viet Charcoal Grilled Pork Kabobs

PORK
3 1/2 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs

Cut into 1- to 1 1/2 inch cubes.

MARINADE
2 tablespoons nuoc mam
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 green onions, mashed
3 garlic cloves, mashed

Blend until smooth.

Marinate the pork for one hour at room temperature.
Grill over low to medium coals until golden brown.

Serve with plain rice and the following salad or pickles.

Vietnamese-style Salad

Salad dressing:
1/3 cup vinegar or 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar

Combine in the bottom of a serving bowl.

Pick and choose whatever vegetables you have or like from the following
list:
Onions (or scallions or shallots)
Radishes (including daikon)
Carrots
Celery
Bell Pepper (any color -- you can use spicy peppers if you prefer)

Shred or chop the vegetables finely, add to the bowl with the salad
dressing, and marinate in refrigerator for about one hour. Before serving,
add any or all of the following:

Cucumber -- peeled, halved longitudinally and seeds scooped out, and sliced
diagonally
Lettuce -- torn into pieces which will fit on a fork easily
Bean Sprouts -- washed well and the little "head" removed

Vietnamese-style Pickles
2 pounds white radishes
1 carrot (about 2 ounces)

Peel carrot and radishes. Slice them thinly or cut them in small strips. Add
2 teaspoons salt. Mix well, allow to stand 5 min. Rinse well. Mix 5
tablespoons sugar with 1 cup vinegar.

Marinate radishes and carrot slices or strips in the sugar and vinegar
mixture
1 hour before serving. It can be made in advance and kept in refrigerator
for
about a week.

Vietnamese pickles are to be served with meat dishes such as charcoal
grilled
pork, pork chop or tenderloin with spices or with Vietnamese appetizers like
spring rolls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2011 8:45 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:

> I'm ****ed. I just typed a rather long and possibly boring
> response to your post and sent it off but it never took. The two
> posts I typed after that did show up. It could have been my fault.
> But now I'm ****ed because I want to re-tell that same story, the one
> that didn't show up, but I'm not sure I've got the energy. I'll try
> to make it short.

I saw your first, and I didn't think it was boring at all. You
effectively told about your old freezer, buying a new one and the old
one dying. I enjoyed reading it. A lot of detail about getting it up
to your apartment. You're a good writer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 10:35*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> I saw your first, and I didn't think it was boring at all. *You
> effectively told about your old freezer, buying a new one and the old
> one dying. *I enjoyed reading it. *A lot of detail about getting it up
> to your apartment. *You're a good writer.

Thanks, I love hearing that. I'm a decent writer sometimes, but
only when I'm free styling. If asked to write about something it
becomes a chore. I'm certainly no journalist, and my grammar is not
so good. But I like slinging words together now and then and I really
enjoy that you enjoyed my refrigerator story. The funniest part was
how I bought it without measuring it. I just sort of envisioned it in
the kitchen where I had planned to put it. It almost didn't fit. In
fact, it almost didn't make it through the kitchen door. It was a
monster. It deserved to die.

Thanks again,
TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2011 10:11 PM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>> LOL! Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
>>> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.

>> They're the usually the same people who say there's no such thing as a
>> boneless pork chop.<shrug>

> There's only one person who says that, and he's a clueless dotard.
>
> Bob

I just buy those Shelden signature brand preformed made from meat paste
"riblet" things at walmart. They are next to the Hillshire products.
Most people can't afford top shelf stuff like that though since they are
$0.69/lb because of the high quality...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese steaks... was Country Style Pork Ribs - How to?

On 7/2/2011 7:13 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
> they used
> hoagie rolls from a place called Malones Bakery which in my opinion
> makes the best hoagie rolls in the country, which are the same rolls
> used for cheese steaks, of which Allentowns are every bit as good or
> better than Phillys.

Yep... some good cheese steaks can be found in Allentown, but I'm not
familiar with Malones rolls. I know that there has been a continuing
argument in Philadelphia over whether the best rolls come from
Amarosos's or the Conshohocken bakery. I liked them both.

Since I moved to the south (Louisiana) I had given up on ever finding a
place that made a good cheese steak until recently when I found a very
good one at a place that specializes in fried catfish. (Really? Yeah,
really!)

Sam's Southern Eatery here in Shreveport has a great reputation for good
seafood, huge portions and very reasonable prices. Becca and I ate
there often and never even noticed that they had a Philly Cheese Steak
on the menu. I tried it one day and was surprised at how good it was.
In Philly, it would get 3 out of five stars... but here in Louisiana, it
is 5 stars all the way. http://samssoutherneatery.net/?page_id=2

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 19:11:38 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
>>> LOL! Maybe the ones who were all hot and bothered about it learned
>>> there really is a cut called that in some parts of the country.

>> They're the usually the same people who say there's no such thing as a
>> boneless pork chop. <shrug>

> There's only one person who says that, and he's a clueless dotard.
>
> Bob

i know who it is!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 7/2/2011 7:13 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
>> they used
>> hoagie rolls from a place called Malones Bakery which in my opinion
>> makes the best hoagie rolls in the country, which are the same rolls
>> used for cheese steaks, of which Allentowns are every bit as good or
>> better than Phillys.

> Yep... some good cheese steaks can be found in Allentown, but I'm not
> familiar with Malones rolls. I know that there has been a continuing
> argument in Philadelphia over whether the best rolls come from Amarosos's
> or the Conshohocken bakery. I liked them both.

I was never a fan of Amorosos myself, but we had Vecchione in the
neighborhood. A far superior roll. A good cheesesteak is a thing of beauty,
but it is getting very elusive. Many shops in Philly seem to be cutting
corners compared to 30 years ago. Here in New England, I can get a decent
steak at Papa Gino's, a chained based in the Boston area.

Finding good bread of any sort is getting more difficult theses days. I
have to travel 30 miles to get a good loaf of rye bread. Seven miles for
good Italian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Kent" >
wrote:

> Mrs. bought 5lbs of boneless country style pork ribs today. I'd like to
> grill them. How do you do it? I don't find many recipes for grilling country
> style ribs.
> If you want to see something pretty ridiculous to point where it's humerous
> look at the BBQ Pit Boys Old Time.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt_yLN57E8Y
>
> They boil the ribs in barbecue sauce and beer in an aluminum pan on the
> Weber charcoal grill.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Kent

How'd they come out? I don't like country-style ribs unless the bone is
in.
--
Barb,
The latest jammin'; http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 1, 2011

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 13:07:12 -0500, Andy wrote:

> My Sis-IL slapped me on the hand for trying to put ketchup on my first two
> cheesesteaks she made for me.
>
> "A great cheesesteak doesn't need ketchup."
>
> She constantly hated and loved me at all times for marrying her sister!
>
> We really got along famously but she never stopped picking on me.
>
> Sis-In-Laws!
>
> Andy

how did she feel about you after your wife bolted?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:47:48 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

> how did she feel about you after your wife bolted?

Sometimes ex-family members stay friends even after the spouses split
up. Hubby & I are still very close to my exSIL (who divorced his
brother decades ago). I know Andy played on the floor with his nieces
and nephews for years, but I don't know if they were from his side of
the family or her side of the family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > Meantime, just cleaned my chest freezer a bit. *I haven't ground up

(snippies)

> My entire adult life I've lived in furnished apartments. I have no
> idea what it's like to own a freezer. I mean a full freezer, not the
> type that sits atop a fridge. When I moved into this place 16 years
> ago, they had a fridge like all the others I'd ever seen, the type
> with the little metal freezer in the actual fridge, not a separate
> compartment. It worked ok, but not on ice cream. I could not keep
> ice cream bars and so forth hard. Never was able to do that with the
> old fashioned freezer in the fridge thing.

I lived in a real house as a kid, then apartments until age 40 (I'm
retired navy, 26 years of military moves in there) then got one. I had
to rent it out almost 7 years but we enjoyed living in Japan.

I got a little mini-freezer around 1995 or so. About 30 inches tall
and 20 wide, it let me freeze sales meats and helped a lot with the
food bills. In college though, some places had those little slot sort
of freezer and they were a pain.

> But get this. One day about 12 years ago I had a little extra cash
> and decided I was sick of it. So I looked in the newspaper for used
> fridges. I found one and called the guy. I went by in the cab one
> night and checked it out. It looked kind of big. I should have used
> a tape measure, but I'm not a tape measure guy. So I said ok, I'll
> buy it. But how are you going to get it to me?

> The guy said he and his buddy would bring it in a pickup. They
> did. This thing had a freezer with a separate door, the first time in
> my life I'd owned such a thing. Oh such joy. But I had
> underestimated the things size. I live on the third floor (top) of
> this building, and there is no elevator. This building went up in
> 1927. The steps are narrow and twist into the hallways. It took all
> 3 of us an hour to get it up there. We used cardboard and slid the
> thing up, then stood it up, but not all the way, as it would bang into
> the ceiling and go nowhere. I was drenched in sweat. I paid the two
> guys for their trouble, and believe me, there was plenty of it.

Now you are joking that it won't stand up in your apartment ;-)

> Anyway, about 3, maybe 4 years later, I'm noticing my electric
> bill is going up - from like $20 a month to nearly $40. Then up to
> $50. I'm calling the power company and telling them they must be
> getting a false reading. They're sticking to their guns. I'm getting
> ****ed about. Then one day the big fridge died. I went out to get
> something and the food was warm. I opened the freezer and the ice
> cubes had melted.

> I called the apartment manager and told them I needed a fridge.
> I expected a used one, but for them it was more cost effective to buy
> a new one at Sears. It took a week. A few months after they
> installed the new fridge, which is the most modern one I've ever owned
> - cheap and plastic-like, but very effective - I noticed one day that
> my electric bill had gone down to below $20. All that time the big
> fridge was dying on me and sucking up electricity and I never
> suspected it. Anyway, that was a funny and stupid adventure in my
> personal freezer/fridge history. ---

LOL! Yes, energystar is almost a reason to replace a still working
older one. We got rid of a huge beast of a chest freezer to a food
bank. It's not that it wasnt reasonably efficient, it's that it was
too big though for it's size it was efficient. It was an old farmhouse
unit where you butchered a whole steer and stored it in there.

> Yeah, I get it, feed the dogs
> the old stuff just to test it out, the way Kings used to have peasants
> sample their food before eating, to test it for poison or freshness.

Naw, seriously they lack taste receptors for freezerburn. No quality
in the meat suffers for this (at reasonable levels of course) except it
tastes nasty to us.

> Looks like the boneless pork ribs topic will not die.

LOL! The thread that will not die!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm ****ed. I just typed a rather long and possibly boring
> response to your post and sent it off but it never took. The two
> posts I typed after that did show up. It could have been my fault.

Came in later (wink)

> Anyway, I've seen actual freezers but have never owned one or
> the space for it either.

The small cube unit we used for years became extra counterspace (bit
low but worked) in some places and was often in others located in the
living room where we had space. It even spent time as a TV stand in
our daughter's room for a bit.

> So you try out your possibly poisoned meat
> on your dogs first, is that it? Like a King who has a peasant sample
> his food before eating it himself, to test for poison or disease. Is
> that it? No really, if I had a dog, I'd make my own dog food too.
> It's probably even cheaper than buying it in the can or box. In my

LOL, yup. Though that's for grain free feeding. If the pooch is
normal, regular alpo and purina will do.

> teens I had a dog with diarrhea. The doctor told me to boil hamberger
> meat with shredded wheat, equal parts, and sure enough, in just a few
> days the problem was gone. Thanks for your post. I hope this one
> takes.

Hehehe I have 3 unique pets. Just out of the perversity of fate, all 3
have issues with grains. The cat, least affected cost me something
like 300$ in vet bills until I figured it out. Medically she's normal
otherwise. She's a rescued true feral with about 6 years outdoor wild
before she adopted us.

Cash, a mind boggling beagle-bull mastiff mix, we figured out fast has
grain issues. He's being treated again for ear yeast. He probably
found the heel of a hotdog bun or something. He's got lots of medical
issues mostly related to a very bad case of heartworms before we got
him. At 56lbs he's 4 lbs over optimal. When we got him, he was 27
lbs. You could count every vertebra in his back from 20 feet away.

Aunti Mabel (beagle/airhead mix) is our new to us 'puppy'. She's
estimated at 14 years of age when we got her in November. She was
pregnant and deaf from ear infections when found abandoned. She was
heartworm positive. They spayed her and treated for heartworms. She'd
knawed most of the fur off her belly and feet by the time we got her.
Grain allergy severe. Kinda shocked the local rescue place when we
took her in for a thanksgiving weekend then said 'she's got her final
home'. She housebroke in 3 days. No sign she'd ever been an indoor
dog before that.

Glad your treatment worked for your pooch! Me, we use grain-free (have
to) and partly raw-feed. Aunti Mabels teeth require we grind any with
bone and you can't feed straight raw without a percentage of bone or
they get sick over longer term. Cash, the big hog inhales food and we
have to grind for him too or he chokes on the bones.

Chuckle, I can grind 16oz of raw meaty bones for less than the cost of
a can of grain-free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> That's great, I sit down and re-write an entire post only to find
> the original shows up late. God, what an idiot I am. Sometimes.
> Hope you didn't read them both, didn't mean to force them on you like
> that. I really thought it was lost because my other posts that I
> typed after that one had showed up, so I just figured it was lost for
> good. Ok, I'm outta here.
>
> TJ

LOL don't worry! You added new bits of interest to me in the second
version!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/2/2011 8:45 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:
>
> > I'm ****ed. I just typed a rather long and possibly boring
> > response to your post and sent it off but it never took. The two
> > posts I typed after that did show up. It could have been my fault.
> > But now I'm ****ed because I want to re-tell that same story, the
> > one that didn't show up, but I'm not sure I've got the energy.
> > I'll try to make it short.

> I saw your first, and I didn't think it was boring at all. You
> effectively told about your old freezer, buying a new one and the old
> one dying. I enjoyed reading it. A lot of detail about getting it
> up to your apartment. You're a good writer.

I agree. TJ when the 'less polite folks' aren't involved is turning
out to be a delightful person to chat with. Interesting and real.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Marty wrote about country style ribs:
>
> > > Because of their shape, you can easily cut them into cubes for
> > > kabobs.

> > Per the link I posted which I should have prefaced with "everything
> > you ever wanted to know about country style ribs", because it is a
> > history of what they are and how they got that way, it's most
> > likely pork butt and as such isn't likely to do well with a real
> > fast hot cook typical of kabobs. The temp needs to get up there
> > and spend a little time rendering and breaking down the fat and
> > collagen.

> That's true; I neglected to say that I'd cook the kabobs over a
> medium or low fire. The particular idea I had in mind was something
> like this:
>
> Viet Charcoal Grilled Pork Kabobs
>
> PORK
> 3 1/2 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs
>
> Cut into 1- to 1 1/2 inch cubes.
>

> MARINADE
> 2 tablespoons nuoc mam
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 2 green onions, mashed
> 3 garlic cloves, mashed
>
> Blend until smooth.
>
> Marinate the pork for one hour at room temperature.
> Grill over low to medium coals until golden brown.
>
> Serve with plain rice and the following salad or pickles.
>

> Vietnamese-style Salad
>
> Salad dressing:
> 1/3 cup vinegar or 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
> 1/3 cup water
> 3 tablespoons sugar
>
> Combine in the bottom of a serving bowl.
>
> Pick and choose whatever vegetables you have or like from the
> following list: Onions (or scallions or shallots)
> Radishes (including daikon)
> Carrots
> Celery
> Bell Pepper (any color -- you can use spicy peppers if you prefer)
>
> Shred or chop the vegetables finely, add to the bowl with the salad
> dressing, and marinate in refrigerator for about one hour. Before
> serving, add any or all of the following:
>
> Cucumber -- peeled, halved longitudinally and seeds scooped out, and
> sliced diagonally Lettuce -- torn into pieces which will fit on a
> fork easily Bean Sprouts -- washed well and the little "head" removed
>

> Vietnamese-style Pickles
> 2 pounds white radishes
> 1 carrot (about 2 ounces)
>
> Peel carrot and radishes. Slice them thinly or cut them in small
> strips. Add 2 teaspoons salt. Mix well, allow to stand 5 min. Rinse
> well. Mix 5 tablespoons sugar with 1 cup vinegar.
>
> Marinate radishes and carrot slices or strips in the sugar and
> vinegar mixture 1 hour before serving. It can be made in advance and
> kept in refrigerator for about a week.
>
> Vietnamese pickles are to be served with meat dishes such as charcoal
> grilled pork, pork chop or tenderloin with spices or with Vietnamese
> appetizers like spring rolls.

Mega-yummies from here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/1/2011 4:55 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Cooking them varies but if you have the same type, they take well to
> > hot smoking with a rub or a marinade. You can precook them mostly
> > in a crockpot in the marinade then finish off on a hotter grill if
> > you like.

> I've tried several methods because I really like them. But
> incorrectly cooked, they will be tough and dry. My mom used to
> pre-cook them in the oven then finish on the grill. I can't remember
> if she actually braised them or just dry cooked them, but they turned
> out well. I've tried the crockpot method and finish on the grill but
> they were horribly dried out.

Oh! This cut needs saucing in the crockpot. Unless it's a fattier cut
version. They lack the fat cap to make it work in a crockpot all alone.

You can do a loo'ing sauce with them on the stove and that works well
for the leaner types.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:30:37 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>LOL! Yes, energystar is almost a reason to replace a still working
>older one. We got rid of a huge beast of a chest freezer to a food
>bank. It's not that it wasnt reasonably efficient, it's that it was
>too big though for it's size it was efficient. It was an old farmhouse
>unit where you butchered a whole steer and stored it in there.

My fridge died Saturday. It's 10 years old and not a scratch on it.
We ordered a new one. Hopefully the electric bill payback will be
worth it. I just couldn't see putting any money in it. We got the
bottom freezer drawer type which I've read is pretty economical
compared to the side by side models. I hope I didn't make a $900
mistake.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 10:08*am, George Leppla > wrote:

> Yep... some good cheese steaks can be found in Allentown, but I'm not
> familiar with Malones rolls. *I know that there has been a continuing
> argument in Philadelphia over whether the best rolls come from
> Amarosos's or the Conshohocken bakery. *I liked them both.
>
> Since I moved to the south (Louisiana) I had given up on ever finding a
> place that made a good cheese steak until recently when I found a very
> good one at a place that specializes in fried catfish. *(Really? *Yeah,
> really!)
>
> Sam's Southern Eatery here in Shreveport has a great reputation for good
> seafood, huge portions and very reasonable prices. *Becca and I ate
> there often and never even noticed that they had a Philly Cheese Steak
> on the menu. *I tried it one day and was surprised at how good it was.
> In Philly, it would get 3 out of five stars... but here in Louisiana, it
> is 5 stars all the way. *http://samssoutherneatery.net/?page_id=2

I lived in L.A. for 23 years. There were tons of "Philly Steak"
places all over town, yet none came close to the ones I knew from my
hometown in PA. The meat was usually too coarse. But worst of all,
the rolls were always too thick and dominant. Now I'm living in NC
and I found the same thing here. But it's not like I went around
searcing for the perfect cheese steak, which by the way I think tastes
better without the cheese - it's just that the ones I encountered
never measured up. Then my brother took me to a place in Greensboro
that had philly cheese steaks on the menu. Theirs too did not measure
up. But it was good. Since then I have learned to forget about
comparing every steak sandwich I eat to the ones I remember from my
hometown.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 10:08*am, George Leppla > wrote:

> Yep... some good cheese steaks can be found in Allentown, but I'm not
> familiar with Malones rolls. *I know that there has been a continuing
> argument in Philadelphia over whether the best rolls come from
> Amarosos's or the Conshohocken bakery. *I liked them both.

The Allentown steak sandwiches are finally chopped meat grilled
and put into a roll that is actually quite small in terms of length.
But it's almost hollow and holds a lot of meat in a small-looking
amount of space. They have onions and bit of tomato sauce and flavor
in there, but it's not overbearing. The whole sandwich is very simple
and also very steal-able. If someone wanted to open a shop anywhere
in the USA, I suppose they could just have the same ingredients used
in the A-town sandwiches. I don't consider myself a plagarist, nor
would I think that of anyone who uses someone else's recipe. It would
be a tribute instead of thievery. Hah hah hah hah hah.

On this hometown topic: When I was a kid there was a hoagie place
on every other block. The whole place would not be a hoagie shop,
just a small part of it. I was never a big hoagie lover because I
didn't care for cold cuts on a regular basis, but more as a treat.
But most all the places used real olive oil and would put it on top of
the hoagie along with a bit of vinegar on top of the shredded lettuce
that went atop the meat and cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 4:30*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> I lived in a real house as a kid, then apartments until age 40 (I'm
> retired navy, 26 years of military moves in there) then got one. *I had
> to rent it out almost 7 years but we enjoyed living in Japan.

> LOL! *The thread that will not die!

That fridge was really wide. It was a single door but probably
about the same width as the double-dour type. It was not too tall in
my place, only in the nooks of the stairways where we had to bend it
all sorts of oddball, energy-depleting ways to advance it upward. In
the apartment it was so wide it took up enough space that I was from
that moment forced to cut things on the counter from an angle. I had
to stand to the side a bit and work that way. Before getting the
monster fridge, I used to stand in that little extra spot to cut
things up on a board or plate. The fridge was so wide it forced me to
alter my method of stance. But no way was I about to take it down
those steps or go out and buy another one, not only for financial
reasons, but also because I HATE SHOPPING.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 4:59*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> The small cube unit we used for years became extra counterspace (bit
> low but worked) in some places and was often in others located in the
> living room where we had space. *It even spent time as a TV stand in
> our daughter's room for a bit.

I read your entire post, enjoyed it, but responding only to the
part above. I think it's funny how this part of your post is a lesson
of sorts in seeing the positives in things, such as for example:
Nothing takes up 'too much space' if it can be used for something.
See, I'm really quite a positive person. I suppose if I had my own
home and tons of money I might have a refrigerator custom-built to go
all the way around the kitchen, but only tall enough to handle the
tallest bottles you may want to cool. Then the entire rpund-the-block
cooling system could be used to put things. The cooling system would
go all the way around the room at chest height, so things could be
stored not only on top but below as well. It would have four doors,
one for each corner; maybe two if you have a really large kitchen.

TJ (new-age cool)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 4:59*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> LOL don't worry! *You added new bits of interest to me in the second
> version!

Thanks, I'll try to remember that as a positive too. But at the
time I was not very happy with it.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 5:01*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:\

> > I saw your first, and I didn't think it was boring at all. *You
> > effectively told about your old freezer, buying a new one and the old
> > one dying. *I enjoyed reading it. *A lot of detail about getting it
> > up to your apartment. *You're a good writer.

> I agree. *TJ when the 'less polite folks' aren't involved is turning
> out to be a delightful person to chat with. *Interesting and real.

I love it, but please don't over-do it, I'm not sure I can live up
to the standard. Also, even though I do not consider myself a less
polite person, please do not remove my privilege to go in that
direction if so inclined. I do not want to be pressured into being a
nice guy all the time. Please. Please don't do that to me.

TJ (thank you)