Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmonella-free poulltry?

Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
could have died.

It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
chicken medium rare because of salmonella.

Is there such a thing as salmonella-free poultry? If not, what's the next
best thing? Some reptile or wild bird?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
>> could have died.
>>
>> It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
>> chicken medium rare because of salmonella.
>>
>> Is there such a thing as salmonella-free poultry? If not, what's the next
>> best thing? Some reptile or wild bird?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Have it irradiated...
>
> But seriously, only the meat exposed at the surface can contain
> salmonella! Hence the dangers of ground meats.
>
> If you cook a chicken that is still slightly pink at the bone level
> (medium rare), the meat should be sterile, especially if cooked to the
> correct temperature.
>
> This common over-cooking of poultry is why so many hate turkey!

That's very interesting. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2011 7:47 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> "Christopher > wrote:
>
>> Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
>> could have died.
>>
>> It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
>> chicken medium rare because of salmonella.
>>

> If you cook a chicken that is still slightly pink at the bone level
> (medium rare), the meat should be sterile, especially if cooked to the
> correct temperature.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of argument but in my experience and from what
I've read, pink chicken meat near the bone is the result of the chicken
having been frozen (or near frozen) at sometime after its demise.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
> could have died.
>
> It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
> chicken medium rare because of salmonella.
>
> Is there such a thing as salmonella-free poultry?

Yup. Norway's flock is free of salmonella.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>> On 6/27/2011 7:47 PM, Omelet wrote:

>>> If you cook a chicken that is still slightly pink at the bone level
>>> (medium rare), the meat should be sterile, especially if cooked to the
>>> correct temperature.

>This is why the World is in trouble. The number of idiots far
>outweighs the number of sane, thinking people.

James Beard wrote that chicken should be pink near the bone. But,
that long was before CAFO chicken was the norm.

What you want is air-chilled. (Or as one respondant suggested,
irradiated but I'm not sure that's available.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
>> could have died.
>>
>> It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
>> chicken medium rare because of salmonella.
>>
>> Is there such a thing as salmonella-free poultry?

> Yup. Norway's flock is free of salmonella.
>
> Miche

Thanks Miche. That's good to know.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>This is why the World is in trouble. The number of idiots far
>>outweighs the number of sane, thinking people.

> James Beard wrote that chicken should be pink near the bone. But,
> that long was before CAFO chicken was the norm.
>
> What you want is air-chilled. (Or as one respondant suggested,
> irradiated but I'm not sure that's available.)

That's fascinating. I had no idea James Beard said that (before CAFO chicken
was the norm of course). Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:

> > This is why the World is in trouble. The number of idiots far
> > outweighs the number of sane, thinking people.
> >
> > -sw

> And Liars are the worst.
> You claimed to have me killfiled.
>
> Please do so. I don't count a liars opinions as valid.

He attacks people for pretending to killfile people
and then responding to their posts, and turns around
and does the same thing. Probably cheats at
hide-and-seek too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Yes, air-chilled chicken is no safer than any other traditionally
>processed chicken.

Cite?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> Once I accidentally ate some undercooked chicken (it was pink). I guess I
>> could have died.
>>
>> It was still some of the best chicken I ever ate. Too bad you can't cook
>> chicken medium rare because of salmonella.
>>
>> Is there such a thing as salmonella-free poultry? If not, what's the next
>> best thing? Some reptile or wild bird?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Have it irradiated...
>
> But seriously, only the meat exposed at the surface can contain
> salmonella! Hence the dangers of ground meats.
>
> If you cook a chicken that is still slightly pink at the bone level
> (medium rare), the meat should be sterile, especially if cooked to the
> correct temperature.
>
> This common over-cooking of poultry is why so many hate turkey!

Well, what happens when you puncture the meat when it is raw?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Gloria wrote:
>
>> I'm sure I'll get plenty of argument but in my
>> experience and from
>> what I've read, pink chicken meat near the bone is
>> the result of the
>> chicken having been frozen (or near frozen) at
>> sometime after its
>> demise.

> It's actually the result of the chicken being
> slaughtered at a young
> age, before the bones are completely developed.
>
> Here's a cite, which names both chicken and turkeys
> as subject to the
> phenomenon:
>
> http://urbanext.illinois.edu/turkey/turkey_faqs.cfm

Here's another.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> But seriously, only the meat exposed at the surface can contain
> salmonella!

That's simply false. Chicken meat is more porous than beef, and bacteria can
invade the interior. But of course that advice doesn't apply to *you*. You
should feel free to cook chicken exactly as you describe. I look forward to
the result. Can we expect another "crockpot" thread out of it?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Have it irradiated...
>>>
>>> But seriously, only the meat exposed at the surface can contain
>>> salmonella! Hence the dangers of ground meats.
>>>
>>> If you cook a chicken that is still slightly pink at the bone level
>>> (medium rare), the meat should be sterile, especially if cooked to the
>>> correct temperature.
>>>
>>> This common over-cooking of poultry is why so many hate turkey!

>> Well, what happens when you puncture the meat when it is raw?

> Then you have a problem... I'm not in the habit of puncturing raw meat.
> ;-)

I am thinking of pricking food so marinade can penetrate, or
moving raw meat, poultry, etc. with a fork.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Then you have a problem... I'm not in the habit of puncturing raw meat.
>>> ;-)

>> I am thinking of pricking food so marinade can penetrate, or
>> moving raw meat, poultry, etc. with a fork.

> I will slice small holes in pork roast to stuff garlic cloves and herbs
> inside of it, but pork is cooked well done..

Oh, I forgot that type of application. Yes, lamb too. I guess
ideally one would make sure the meat was cooked adequately at
least as deep as those slits go. Funny that I have never poisoned
myself in the past with that type of thing OR with other things
that have been punctured. It must have been sheer luck because
this isn't solely a matter of cutting boards, etc.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>>> I will slice small holes in pork roast to stuff garlic cloves and herbs
>>> inside of it, but pork is cooked well done..

>> Oh, I forgot that type of application. Yes, lamb too. I guess
>> ideally one would make sure the meat was cooked adequately at
>> least as deep as those slits go. Funny that I have never poisoned
>> myself in the past with that type of thing OR with other things
>> that have been punctured. It must have been sheer luck because
>> this isn't solely a matter of cutting boards, etc.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> True true! I've never gotten sick from eating some raw ground beef that
> I ground fresh myself either. I think for ground meat at the store,
> it's more dangerous to do that as it's sat long enough (even at
> refrigerated temps) for the bacteria to proliferate.
>
> I suppose if one were to puncture a raw chicken, that could be an issue
> and certainly would be with ground chicken. I just don't see how meat
> close to the bone that was never exposed to the outside of the bird
> could be contaminated so should be safe to eat slightly undercooked?
>
> I could be wrong and will be willing to admit it if I can find proof
> otherwise. <g>
>
> When I herb a chicken, I stuff herbs inside and slide herbs (and lemon
> slices depending on what I am doing) directly under the skin. I
> marinate chicken overnight in the refrigerator when I'm planning on
> BBQ'ing and I generally use a slightly acidic marinade with lemon or
> vinegar, but not so much as to denature the meat. I've never punctured
> it but I suppose that could be an issue.
>
> When I made the Canadian Bacon, the brine penetrated the meat just fine
> all the way without puncturing or injecting, but that kind of wet cure
> is done by me for 5 to 7 days, then smoked. Different process.
>
> Does injecting marinade really make a huge difference in meat flavor?

I've never injected it, even though a friend gave me a hypodermic
needle some years ago to do that. (That was before needles for
meat became available.) I have been known to poke holes in meat
though.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>>> Does injecting marinade really make a huge difference in meat flavor?

>> I've never injected it, even though a friend gave me a hypodermic
>> needle some years ago to do that. (That was before needles for
>> meat became available.) I have been known to poke holes in meat
>> though.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> All the way to the bone? :-)
>
> Ouch! <g>

Well. I don't deliberately puncture poultry, and bones in the
meats that I marinated are not central, so no.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> All the way to the bone? :-)
>>>
>>> Ouch! <g>

>> Well. I don't deliberately puncture poultry, and bones in the
>> meats that I marinated are not central, so no.

> I wonder...
>
> Would an acidic marinade of a specific Ph kill any bugs that might soak
> into the punctures?
>
> Might be fun to make a science project out of that kind of cooking. <g>

LOL! Anyone got a kid looking for a science project?

--
Jean B.