Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 100 Days of Real Food

This is a very interesting (to me) blog about a family of four in
Charlotte, NC who made a pledge to give up all processed foods, eat
local when possible and avoid purchasing items with more than 5
ingredients. I've been mulling over the organic v. conventional
benefits, antibiotic use in animals and other health issues lately so
found this thought provoking.

While the writer is obviously affluent and has the resources to buy
organic and such, she still makes some excellent points through out the
challenge. The time devoted to planning, adapting routines and cooking
so much from scratch was impressive.

Yet she sometimes comes across as overly rigid, such as demanding that
her parents fall into the plan while *she visited them on vacation*
which I think is a bit presumptuous.

As this 100 day challenge has ended, she has taken on a new challenge of
eating "real food" but only spending $125/week for the four of them. I
look forward to getting through the archives in that blog section too.

Perhaps someone here might find this interesting?

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:14:52 -0400, Goomba > wrote:

>This is a very interesting (to me) blog about a family of four in
>Charlotte, NC who made a pledge to give up all processed foods, eat
>local when possible and avoid purchasing items with more than 5
>ingredients. I've been mulling over the organic v. conventional
>benefits, antibiotic use in animals and other health issues lately so
>found this thought provoking.

People that follow the paleo diet generally only buy foods with a single
ingredient. I buy a couple foods with more than one ingredient, like
Larabars and kale chips, but a purist would argue that some of their
ingredients are not truly paleo.

Don. http://paleodiet.com/definition.htm (e-mail link at page bottom).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This is a very interesting (to me) blog about a family of four in
>Charlotte, NC who made a pledge to give up all processed foods, eat
>local when possible and avoid purchasing items with more than 5
>ingredients. I've been mulling over the organic v. conventional
>benefits, antibiotic use in animals and other health issues lately so
>found this thought provoking.
>
>While the writer is obviously affluent and has the resources to buy
>organic and such, she still makes some excellent points through out the
>challenge. The time devoted to planning, adapting routines and cooking
>so much from scratch was impressive.
>
>Yet she sometimes comes across as overly rigid, such as demanding that
>her parents fall into the plan while *she visited them on vacation*
>which I think is a bit presumptuous.
>
>As this 100 day challenge has ended, she has taken on a new challenge of
>eating "real food" but only spending $125/week for the four of them. I
>look forward to getting through the archives in that blog section too.
>
>Perhaps someone here might find this interesting?
>
> http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

"The 100-Mile Diet" book is very interesting. The couple ate only
food that came from within 100 miles of where they lived, Vancouver,
for a year. A TV series was made from the book where they went to a
medium sized town and enrolled families to take part for a shorter
time, like 3 months. Some of the families dropped out within a week,
others cheated. But some stayed with it through the whole program and
learned how to have great meals with foods from their local area.

The show was on the Planet Green channel.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 02:14:52 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
> >This is a very interesting (to me) blog about a family of four in
> >Charlotte, NC who made a pledge to give up all processed foods, eat
> >local when possible and avoid purchasing items with more than 5
> >ingredients. I've been mulling over the organic v. conventional
> >benefits, antibiotic use in animals and other health issues lately so
> >found this thought provoking.
> >
> >While the writer is obviously affluent and has the resources to buy
> >organic and such, she still makes some excellent points through out the
> >challenge. The time devoted to planning, adapting routines and cooking
> >so much from scratch was impressive.
> >
> >Yet she sometimes comes across as overly rigid, such as demanding that
> >her parents fall into the plan while *she visited them on vacation*
> >which I think is a bit presumptuous.
> >
> >As this 100 day challenge has ended, she has taken on a new challenge of
> >eating "real food" but only spending $125/week for the four of them. I
> >look forward to getting through the archives in that blog section too.
> >
> >Perhaps someone here might find this interesting?
> >
> > http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

> "The 100-Mile Diet" book is very interesting. The couple ate only
> food that came from within 100 miles of where they lived, Vancouver,
> for a year. A TV series was made from the book where they went to a
> medium sized town and enrolled families to take part for a shorter
> time, like 3 months. Some of the families dropped out within a week,
> others cheated. But some stayed with it through the whole program and
> learned how to have great meals with foods from their local area.
>
> The show was on the Planet Green channel.

Easy to do if you're somewhere like Vancouver. Try it in a more
isolated part of Canada.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Miche > wrote:
>
>> Easy to do if you're somewhere like Vancouver. Try it in a more
>> isolated part of Canada.

Caribou and lichen?

Walrus liver in season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 18:56:43 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

> Yes I do, thanks for that; had a quick peek at the original pledge and
>will read more later. Her pledge is pretty much how we eat (and have done
>for 40+ years) though I will occasionally use white flour to make some
>cakes and puddings and always use white sugar when making marmalades and
>jam.
>
> Janet

I found it very interesting, thank you posting it. I especially
enjoyed the simple way to make real popcorn in a plain paper bag. I
find the stench of those commercial microwave popcorn things,
obnoxious and it is impossible to rid my microwave of the smell.
Imagine kernels in a brown bag working so easily. Eureka.

aloha,
Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-07-01, pure kona > wrote:

> I found it very interesting, thank you posting it. I especially
> enjoyed the simple way to make real popcorn in a plain paper bag. I
> find the stench of those commercial microwave popcorn things,
> obnoxious and it is impossible to rid my microwave of the smell.
> Imagine kernels in a brown bag working so easily. Eureka.

Have you actually tried it? I have. Great way to light a paper bag
on fire.

That stinky smell is from the near toxic grease they use to aid the
popping action. Jes hold yer breath or take outdoors when opening the
bag. I'd try a plastic microwaving popcorn bowl before nuking a plain
paper bag. Better yet, jes get a hot air or stovetop popper.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 18:56:43 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>>In article >, says...

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

>> Yes I do, thanks for that; had a quick peek at the original pledge and
>>will read more later. Her pledge is pretty much how we eat (and have done
>>for 40+ years) though I will occasionally use white flour to make some
>>cakes and puddings and always use white sugar when making marmalades and
>>jam.
>>
>> Janet
>>

> I found it very interesting, thank you posting it. I especially
> enjoyed the simple way to make real popcorn in a plain paper bag. I
> find the stench of those commercial microwave popcorn things,
> obnoxious and it is impossible to rid my microwave of the smell.
> Imagine kernels in a brown bag working so easily. Eureka.
>
> aloha,
> Cea

I have done it that way, even straight from the cob but paper bags can catch
on fire. Better to get a microwave popper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-07-01, pure kona > wrote:
>
>> I found it very interesting, thank you posting it. I especially
>> enjoyed the simple way to make real popcorn in a plain paper bag. I
>> find the stench of those commercial microwave popcorn things,
>> obnoxious and it is impossible to rid my microwave of the smell.
>> Imagine kernels in a brown bag working so easily. Eureka.

> Have you actually tried it? I have. Great way to light a paper bag
> on fire.
>
> That stinky smell is from the near toxic grease they use to aid the
> popping action. Jes hold yer breath or take outdoors when opening the
> bag. I'd try a plastic microwaving popcorn bowl before nuking a plain
> paper bag. Better yet, jes get a hot air or stovetop popper.

Pan popped is the best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 10:32:25 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> I make popcorn in a saucepan with the lid on. Works perfectly.

Me too. Sometimes I get fancy and replace the top with a sieve just
because I like to see the popcorn pop and mound up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I make popcorn in a saucepan with the lid on.
> Works perfectly.
>
> Janet

I did that before I bought a wok. If you have a wok,
try it. You CAN use less oil to pop the same amount
of corn in the wok, but you can also use your normal
amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee wrote:

>> > I make popcorn in a saucepan with the lid on. Works perfectly.

>> Me too. Sometimes I get fancy and replace the top with a sieve just
>> because I like to see the popcorn pop and mound up.

> That sounds fun! I should do that next time. I much prefer popcorn
> cooked on the stove. It doesn't even seem to need butter when done that
> way.

I have never cooked popcorn in a microwave. I loathe the smell of it at
work, and I do NOT want that reekage in my house.

Even when I do cook popcorn on the stovetop, I hardly ever just leave it at
that. Last time I made it into a version of Alinea's "liquified popcorn",
using pepper-infused honey instead of caramel.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 20:34:38 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> >> Me too. Sometimes I get fancy and replace the top with a sieve just
> >> because I like to see the popcorn pop and mound up.

> > That sounds fun! I should do that next time. I much prefer popcorn
> > cooked on the stove. It doesn't even seem to need butter when done that
> > way.

> I have never cooked popcorn in a microwave. I loathe the smell of it at
> work, and I do NOT want that reekage in my house.
>
> Even when I do cook popcorn on the stovetop, I hardly ever just leave it at
> that. Last time I made it into a version of Alinea's "liquified popcorn",
> using pepper-infused honey instead of caramel.

I like to make caramel corn, but I don't do it very often because
neither one of us has enough will power to eat "just a little".
That's why I don't buy See's peanut brittle very often either.

Real food. Dimitri General Cooking 73 04-03-2020 11:10 PM
Almost OT, a real food topic George Shirley General Cooking 4 18-10-2009 09:37 PM
Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 01:27 PM
Real food Beach Runner Vegan 5 06-10-2005 10:07 PM