Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boxed pizza

On Jun 26, 9:30*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> . ..

> >> How could you miss it, the most freezer space at the market is devoted
> >> to pizza, even more than spuds now.

> > I didn't say *frozen* pizza, something I wouldn't eat if they paid me.

> Don't get the Chef Boyardee box. *The sauce is nasty. *The best "box" isn't
> a box it's just a crust mix. *The Betty Crocker crust mix is the best

That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.

> Ms P

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 11:37*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:47:58 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>

> > wrote:
> > On Jun 26, 1:09 am, sf > wrote:
> > > On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:33:20 -0700 (PDT), Bryan

> > > You were a spoiled brat then. When I was introduced to boxed pizza,
> > > there were no frozen pizzas and certainly no fresh pizza from a pizza
> > > parlors to be had where I lived.

> > I didn't say that I complained. *I didn't. *I just didn't look forward
> > to pizza. *I would have rather had spaghetti, either with meat sauce,
> > or even better, meatballs. *Pork chops, pot roast, steak, hamburgers,
> > chicken (fried, baked or grilled), fish (as long as it wasn't "jack
> > salmon," and I didn't even complain or refuse to eat that) all were
> > better than the pizza kit. *

> Are you trying to say your family made *dinner* out of boxed pizza or
> that you wanted your snacks to be dinner-like? *It was never dinner at
> my house, just a snack.

It was dinner.

> I will say it in different words for you: *When boxed pizza was the
> only game in town and I had nothing else to compare it to. *It was PDG
> and I don't care what your opinion of it is or was.

I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:31:38 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.

Again, your opinion. It was the '60's and nobody cared about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:32:03 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Jul 1, 11:37*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:47:58 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> >

> > > wrote:

> > > I didn't say that I complained. *I didn't. *I just didn't look forward
> > > to pizza. *I would have rather had spaghetti, either with meat sauce,
> > > or even better, meatballs. *Pork chops, pot roast, steak, hamburgers,
> > > chicken (fried, baked or grilled), fish (as long as it wasn't "jack
> > > salmon," and I didn't even complain or refuse to eat that) all were
> > > better than the pizza kit. *

> > Are you trying to say your family made *dinner* out of boxed pizza or
> > that you wanted your snacks to be dinner-like? *It was never dinner at
> > my house, just a snack.

> It was dinner.

There you go. Wrong kind of dinner.

> > I will say it in different words for you: *When boxed pizza was the
> > only game in town and I had nothing else to compare it to. *It was PDG
> > and I don't care what your opinion of it is or was.
> >

> I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
> the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

You're finally getting a glimmer in the old cranium.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2011 4:31 PM, Bryan wrote:

> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>
> --Bryan

I'd be more concerned with the imitation berry bits. Sounds like a heck
of a pizza crust. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 17:32:39 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> On 7/1/2011 4:31 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
> > http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
> > So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
> >
> > --Bryan

> I'd be more concerned with the imitation berry bits. Sounds like a heck
> of a pizza crust. :-)

I don't even know why he bothered to post that; other than to give
himself an excuse to get all excited about hydrogenated fats. He ate
pizza in a box for dinner, not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Jul 1, 11:37 am, sf > wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:47:58 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>

>> > wrote:

>> > I didn't say that I complained. I didn't. I just didn't look forward
>> > to pizza. I would have rather had spaghetti, either with meat sauce,
>> > or even better, meatballs. Pork chops, pot roast, steak, hamburgers,
>> > chicken (fried, baked or grilled), fish (as long as it wasn't "jack
>> > salmon," and I didn't even complain or refuse to eat that) all were
>> > better than the pizza kit.

>> Are you trying to say your family made *dinner* out of boxed pizza or
>> that you wanted your snacks to be dinner-like? It was never dinner at
>> my house, just a snack.

> It was dinner.
>>
>> I will say it in different words for you: When boxed pizza was the
>> only game in town and I had nothing else to compare it to. It was PDG
>> and I don't care what your opinion of it is or was.
>>

> I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
> the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.
>
> --Bryan

Granny drew the line at possum.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2011 5:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 17:32:39 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> On 7/1/2011 4:31 PM, Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
>>> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> I'd be more concerned with the imitation berry bits. Sounds like a heck
>> of a pizza crust. :-)

> I don't even know why he bothered to post that; other than to give
> himself an excuse to get all excited about hydrogenated fats. He ate
> pizza in a box for dinner, not me.

Well, the ingredients listed wasn't for pizza dough anyway - I'm
guessing it's blueberry muffins. What the heck, maybe I'll make some
blueberry muffins. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 07:25:32 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> Well, the ingredients listed wasn't for pizza dough anyway - I'm
> guessing it's blueberry muffins. What the heck, maybe I'll make some
> blueberry muffins. :-)

Are you still getting fresh blueberries at a reasonable price? I have
to gorge on them while I can still get them cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/1/2011 4:31 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
>> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
>> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>>
>> --Bryan

> I'd be more concerned with the imitation berry bits. Sounds like a heck of
> a pizza crust. :-)

That might be kind of interesting. But the pizza crust doesn't have
imitation berry bits.

From the package,

enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin,
folic acid) enriched flour bleached (wheat flour, malted barley flour,
niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid) partially
hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, dextrose, dry yeast, salt,
leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate, baking soda) BHA (preservative) egg,
soy flour, nonfat milk.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> On Jun 26, 9:30 pm, "Ms P" > wrote:

>> > I didn't say *frozen* pizza, something I wouldn't eat if they paid me.

>> Don't get the Chef Boyardee box. The sauce is nasty. The best "box"
>> isn't
>> a box it's just a crust mix. The Betty Crocker crust mix is the best

> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>>
>> Ms P

> --Bryan

The hydrogenated oil is the yummy part.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2011 9:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 07:25:32 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> Well, the ingredients listed wasn't for pizza dough anyway - I'm
>> guessing it's blueberry muffins. What the heck, maybe I'll make some
>> blueberry muffins. :-)

> Are you still getting fresh blueberries at a reasonable price? I have
> to gorge on them while I can still get them cheap.

I think the cheapest that I've seen it was $2.50 for 6 oz. I'm making
some blueberry coffee cake out of Costco dried berries which is a
sweetened product. I made the batter a little thinner because they might
absorb some liquid. Hopefully, it won't sink to the bottom of the cake. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 10:21*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 19:31:38 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
>
> > That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...ches/dp/B000EM...
> > So is the Chef Boyardee. *Trashy products for trashy cooks.

> Again, your opinion. *It was the '60's and nobody cared about that.

It's too bad that trans fats seldom kill until after breeding age.
Otherwise they could improve the gene pool.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 9:31*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:30*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > I didn't say *frozen* pizza, something I wouldn't eat if they paid me..

> > Don't get the Chef Boyardee box. *The sauce is nasty. *The best "box" isn't
> > a box it's just a crust mix. *The Betty Crocker crust mix is the best

> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...ches/dp/B000EM...
> So is the Chef Boyardee. *Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>

> > Ms P

> --Bryan

It's a wonder anyone ever survived the past 50 years Bryan, with all
the poisons that are in our processed foods that you so constantly
whinge about. Hydrogenated and trans fats, etc. We should all either
be dead or have horrible mutations or something from the way you make
it sound.

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 7:26*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 6/24/2011 5:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> Note that I am not recommending this stuff. *I have had it. *You don't
> >> want
> >> it! *But they still make it. *I was at Winco foods today and saw the Chef
> >> Boyardee sauce on the shelf and some other brand I've never heard of, of
> >> boxed crust mix. *I seem to remember that there was a brand called Apian
> >> Way
> >> (sp?) that used to make the boxed stuff. *Not sure if they still do. *But
> >> looked it up and Chef Boyardee still makes it. *Here's a link:

> >>http://www.chefboyardee.com/products.jsp

> > I used to make box pizza frequently when I was a kid. I thought it was
> > kind of fun. It was my first experience with making "bread" dough except
> > that it was a quick bread dough. The "cheese" was dried powdery stuff in a
> > can - mostly it was salty. It was as much a pizza as canned spaghetti was
> > pasta. :-)

> > I haven't made one of those in 40 or so years - who has? OTOH, to this day
> > I'll grease my baking pan with oil when I make a pizza. I like a fried
> > crust.

> I don't grease my pan but I do put olive oil on the crust.

I put oil in my pizza crust occasionally if I'm in the mood. I used to
cook the pizza on a pan dry with cornmeal but these days I just dump
some oil on the pan, it's just faster and easier I guess.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
> the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

LOL! But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? Good stuff that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 3:26*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
> > the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

> LOL! *But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? *Good stuff that!

No. You can't be serious. The Beverly Hillbillies also ate buzzard
eggs and used gopher grease.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2011 9:17 AM, Ms P wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On 7/1/2011 4:31 PM, Bryan wrote:
>>
>>> That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-.../dp/B000EMOD5M
>>>
>>> So is the Chef Boyardee. Trashy products for trashy cooks.
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> I'd be more concerned with the imitation berry bits. Sounds like a
>> heck of a pizza crust. :-)

> That might be kind of interesting. But the pizza crust doesn't have
> imitation berry bits.
>
> From the package,
>
> enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate,
> riboflavin, folic acid) enriched flour bleached (wheat flour, malted
> barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid)
> partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil, dextrose, dry
> yeast, salt, leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate, baking soda) BHA
> (preservative) egg, soy flour, nonfat milk.
>
> Ms P

I've never tried this mix but I'm sure that you're correct about there
being no imitation berry bits in the pizza dough. Thanks for correcting
me on this and taking the time to type all that out!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Jul 2, 3:26*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> > Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew
> > > was the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

> > LOL! *But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? *Good stuff that!

> No. You can't be serious. The Beverly Hillbillies also ate buzzard
> eggs and used gopher grease.

No buzzard eggs or gopher grease, but possum stew is a classic. You
just wont see it many places. LOL, don't worry it's properly dressed
out and is similar to spring rabbit.

http://www.hillbillycrackpot.com/how...cook-a-possum/

Bit of humor for them for those not used to the idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 4:11*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On *2-Jul-2011, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
> > > the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

> > LOL! *But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? *Good stuff that!

> A little to greasy for my taste. * Down at the general store of my youth, in
> Happy Holler, on state road 136 just east of Coon Country Lane, many of the
> folks who came in for "fixin's" ate whatever they could catch. * 'possum and
> squirrel were considered a treat among those who subsisted on beans,
> sardines, b'loney and cheese during the hard, winter months.

Possum and squirrel are miles apart. A possum is a filthy animal that
stinks to high heaven. Heck, I'll eat squirrel. I usually don't like
it because they eat too many acorns, but I've heard that both squirrel
and deer taste much better if they live in an area with few oaks.

> --
> "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug
> dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' "

See, I do think of drug dealers as unlicensed pharmacists.
Pharmacists are mostly just dispensers with a Hell of a lot to lose if
they violate drug laws. Anyone who can make it through the education
needed to be a pharmacist is wasted on pill counting. A reasonably
intelligent person could do their job just about as well without all
that school. The computers are programmed to do the thinking part.
Actual pharmacists should be working in science rather than retail.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 2:48*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jul 1, 9:31*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 26, 9:30*pm, "Ms P" > wrote:

> > > "sf" > wrote in message

> > .. .

> > > Don't get the Chef Boyardee box. *The sauce is nasty. *The best "box" isn't
> > > a box it's just a crust mix. *The Betty Crocker crust mix is the best

> > That shit is loaded with hydrogenated fats:http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-...ches/dp/B000EM...
> > So is the Chef Boyardee. *Trashy products for trashy cooks.

> > > Ms P

> > --Bryan

> It's a wonder anyone ever survived the past 50 years Bryan, with all
> the poisons that are in our processed foods that you so constantly
> whinge about. Hydrogenated and trans fats, etc. We should all either
> be dead or have horrible mutations or something from the way you make
> it sound.

You know as well as I do that trans fats seldom kill the under 50
folks. Besides, what other "poisons" do you see me habitually
complaining about? Atherosclerosis is generally a disease of the old,
but you know all that and are just messing with me for the heck of it.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blueberry bargains, was: Boxed pizza

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 20:16:23 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> If Aldi has stores in your area, you might want to pickup some blueberries
> there; they are one of this week's specials - $1.29 per pint. Though I
> recently stocked up elswhere and now have a year's supply of blueberries in
> the freezer, I picked up 4 pints yesterday and plan to make a deep-dish
> blueberry pie tomorrow. If not the pie, then Lot's of Blueberries coffee
> cake for Monday morning. Both take lots of blueberries and are best made in
> peak season.

My blueberry "season" is past its peak now, but I was getting 2-2.5lbs
of blueberries (plump and tasty) for $5-6 depending on the week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:11:38 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> 'possum and
> squirrel were considered a treat among those who subsisted on beans,
> sardines, b'loney and cheese during the hard, winter months.

I don't see how squirrels can have enough meat on them to bother. Too
much work for too little payoff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

only problem it takes too long to cook, one of the few foods that grows as
you chew it if not done properly, Lee
"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
>> the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

> LOL! But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? Good stuff that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

they are very flavor filled, i prefer stewed but fried doesn't suck, and
imho better than chicken wings, Lee
"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:11:38 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> 'possum and
>> squirrel were considered a treat among those who subsisted on beans,
>> sardines, b'loney and cheese during the hard, winter months.

> I don't see how squirrels can have enough meat on them to bother. Too
> much work for too little payoff.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:11:38 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>> 'possum and
>> squirrel were considered a treat among those who subsisted on beans,
>> sardines, b'loney and cheese during the hard, winter months.

> I don't see how squirrels can have enough meat on them to bother. Too
> much work for too little payoff.

When you are starving and your crops have failed, you take what you can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:58:31 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> No buzzard eggs or gopher grease, but possum stew is a classic. You
>> just wont see it many places. LOL, don't worry it's properly dressed
>> out and is similar to spring rabbit.
>>
>> http://www.hillbillycrackpot.com/how...cook-a-possum/
>>
>> Bit of humor for them for those not used to the idea.

> We were driving down the street near home and there was a dead opossum by
> the side of the road. My ex asked me "is it dead?"
>
> I replied NO. it's just playing dead!
>
> About a hundred yards later she punched me in the shoulder, half upset,
> half laughing.
>
> I deserved that! Didn't hurt.
>
> Andy

good to hear your ex-wife was almost as stupid as you are.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:39:39 -0700 (PDT), Bryan wrote:

> On Jul 2, 3:26*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>> Bryan wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I guess if I'd grown up in Bug Tussle, where Granny's possum stew was
>>> the standard, I might've found boxed pizza PDG too.

>> LOL! *But hey, what's wrong with possum stew? *Good stuff that!

> No. You can't be serious. The Beverly Hillbillies also ate buzzard
> eggs and used gopher grease.
>
> --Bryan

i thought they were your heroes.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

and can flavor a big bunch of noodles/gravy so worth it, Lee
"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 2-Jul-2011, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:11:38 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:
>>
>> > 'possum and
>> > squirrel were considered a treat among those who subsisted on beans,
>> > sardines, b'loney and cheese during the hard, winter months.

>> I don't see how squirrels can have enough meat on them to bother. Too
>> much work for too little payoff.

> They are plentiful, free and fairly tasty; that makes them worth the
> effort
> when money is very tight and you're getting tired of beans and cornbread.
> It might take several to feed a family; but, being plentiful, that is no
> problem. Also, a squirrel tail makes a pretty good decoration when tied
> the antenna of a '49 Ford pickup 8-)
>
> I forgot to mention rabbit earlier; they aren't as plentiful as squirrel,
> but fry-up right nice - and can make a decent stew or potpie.
> --
> "Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a
> drug
> dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' "
>
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ??? Mark Thorson General Cooking 58 04-04-2011 08:28 AM
Boxed Cake Mix Better Than From Scratch ??? Julie Bove[_2_] Baking 1 22-03-2011 10:36 PM
substitute for a boxed mix component... [email protected] Baking 2 18-09-2006 08:07 AM
Decent Boxed Wines?? Steve B. Wine 14 07-02-2004 09:13 AM
Boxed wines redux D. Gerasimatos Wine 6 02-10-2003 02:50 PM