Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cost cutting the grocery bill tactics

Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> I find most dollar stores to be overpriced on foods. Dollar Tree
>> does have some good buys but you do have to be careful. They sell
>> some artificial cheese.

> I think the .99 Cent Store has a pretty good selection sometimes, and
> lots of fresh fruits and veggies, which the Dollar Tree here doesn't
> have.

No such store here. And the Dollar Trees vary. Not all have frozen or
refrigerated food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk > wrote:
>
> > LOL! Yeah, bandaides and bottled cleaners tend to be a bust.
> > Dishwashing liquid can be ok though. Avoiding the hype is part of
> > the issue along with when it is better. Tide for example is hype.

> Tide is not entirely hype, because it's pretty concentrated stuff.
> I used "Tide Free" powder for many years and it cleaned super well,
> dissolved well, and had no allergy issues. Problem is it's
> animal-tested so I stopped using it.
>
> Steve

Sorry, I've found it doesnt work better than other brands but is
rougher on clothes in the long term.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
cshenk > wrote:
>Steve Pope wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk > wrote:
>>
>> > LOL! Yeah, bandaides and bottled cleaners tend to be a bust.
>> > Dishwashing liquid can be ok though. Avoiding the hype is part of
>> > the issue along with when it is better. Tide for example is hype.

>> Tide is not entirely hype, because it's pretty concentrated stuff.
>> I used "Tide Free" powder for many years and it cleaned super well,
>> dissolved well, and had no allergy issues. Problem is it's
>> animal-tested so I stopped using it.
>>
>> Steve

>Sorry, I've found it doesnt work better than other brands but is
>rougher on clothes in the long term.

Like I say it's concentrated. I don't own many "delicate" clothes.
"All" perfume-free is a gentler alternative among the animal-torturing
big brands.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Steve Pope wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk > wrote:
>>
>> > LOL! Yeah, bandaides and bottled cleaners tend to be a bust.
>> > Dishwashing liquid can be ok though. Avoiding the hype is part of
>> > the issue along with when it is better. Tide for example is hype.

>> Tide is not entirely hype, because it's pretty concentrated stuff.
>> I used "Tide Free" powder for many years and it cleaned super well,
>> dissolved well, and had no allergy issues. Problem is it's
>> animal-tested so I stopped using it.
>>
>> Steve

> Sorry, I've found it doesnt work better than other brands but is
> rougher on clothes in the long term.

I use Method. I like liquid. I like that you only have to use a tiny bit.
I like the scents. I like Mrs. Meyers also but I like the packaging of the
Method. It's small and takes up very little room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Jun 25, 2:19*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > My 'list' is in my head as i know prices pretty well. *Agreed, many
> > things at the dollar store are decent. *It's the '100 Yen' store of
> > the USA!

> Where do you live? I go to the dollar tree about once every two
> weeks for a list of things. It's in my head too, but I prefer to
> write things down just in case. What I really hate is being with
> people who refuse to use a list and then they're always asking me what
> they forgot, like it's my job to remember things for them. I use
> index cards. I fold several in half and keep them in my shirt
> pocket. When they're full, throw them away. You can get them at the
> dollar store too. I was not kidding about the dollar store dishes, I
> think they're great. I never cared for fine china or expensive
> silverware and so forth. It's not an anti-snob thing, I just think
> cheaper stuff makes more sense. The dishes I use from the dollar
> store are maybe 6 inches across. They're like dinner plates only
> smaller. Great size for pasta salad or any meal really. Only a
> dollar, and they don't seem to give the microwave any trouble.

Norfolk VA general area, I've not looked at the plates there but have
gotten other things.

Many of my dishes came from the 100 yen stores in Japan. Thats similar
to the dollar stores here. They are pretty and work in the microwave
when I use that appliance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> > LOL! Yeah, bandaides and bottled cleaners tend to be a bust.
> > Dishwashing liquid can be ok though. Avoiding the hype is part of
> > the issue along with when it is better. Tide for example is hype.
> >

> Except that Tide, in various formulas, comes in first (second, third,
> etc) year after year in the Consumer Reports ratings.

How many of you roll in tar and oil to need that level?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 7:02*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Norfolk VA general area, I've not looked at the plates there but have
> gotten other things.
>
> Many of my dishes came from the 100 yen stores in Japan. *Thats similar
> to the dollar stores here. *They are pretty and work in the microwave
> when I use that appliance.

I asked where you lived because you mentioned the 100 yen store
in a way that made me think you might live in Japan or may have stayed
there at one time. I know nothing of other countries. I don't fly.
I have not been in the air in 44 years. I don't mind taking off, I
don't mind landing (the two most dangerous parts of the procedure),
yet I hate the safest part - being up there. I just don't like it. I
don't like the loud sounds either. I know it's a safe way to travel,
but I don't like the idea of dying in a big metal box filled with a
bunch of screaming, howling, praying, people - those who have not
become so scared they can't make a sound - falling out of the sky with
no control over the flight or path of the falling hell box. So my
knowledge of other countries is limited. But then I have never been
one to believe that one must travel around the world to be a worldly
person. Anyway, that's why I asked, in case you were interested.

Dollar store dish lover,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 00:49:44 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> When our kids were at home they drank a vast amount of milk every day
> (we never provided fizzy drinks or colas). It was expensive but worth it;
> they all have superb teeth and bones.

My kids didn't drink a lot of milk (enough apparently, but nothing out
of the ordinary), they drank juices and water - their teeth are
insane. Not one single cavity between them.