Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My posts here are not showing up again!!

I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
back! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:04:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:52:41 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>> back! ;-)
>>

>If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month for a news server like APN,
>why not go with whatever it was that CC mentioned just the other day
>for something like $13 a year?

My posts were disappearing last week and the week before. I blamed
Forte
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2011 4:52 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> back! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Google Groups is pretty good about this - I had a refund check in my
greasy little paws in just a couple of days!

OTOH, it always makes me a little paranoid to not see a something that
I've posted on Google Groups. They have the power to purge the posts of
users from their archives. As a matter of fact, they have done just that
to a guy that posts on this newsgroup. It's amazing - Google's power is
awesome!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:36:17 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
> wrote:

> Why do people use google groups?

I know why I do, but I don't know why people use it as their regular
news reader when they're reading from their personal computer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:12:53 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:33:36 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:29:35 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> My posts were disappearing last week and the week before. I blamed
> >> Forte
> >> Janet US

> >Did you check your outbox? That's only happened to me twice that I
> >can remember. They were sitting in the outbox as sent, but didn't
> >show up where I'd posted them.
> >
> >OH! Now I remember what the problem was. It was before I started
> >using my spacebar to go to the next unread message and they were
> >buried in old saved messages that had the same subject line.
> >
> >Nowadays I just start at the top of the list and hit my spacebar. If
> >someone posts something like "dinner last night" with no date to place
> >it in with new posts, I'll find it anyway.

> I believe that I did check all those things. But it doesn't take much
> to make me crazy. Ever since I was so sick for so many years and
> malnourished, my brain doesn't work very well. It's getting better
> but it doesn't take much about computers to frighten me off to bed.
> seriously.

Glad to hear you're getting better, Janet and sorry to hear you
frustrate so easily. If you don't use your spacebar to go to the next
unread message, try it sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> back! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Now they are!! instantly!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> back! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Awww, bloody hell! I lied!

:-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 4:54*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > back! ;-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Awww, bloody hell! I lied!
>
> :-(
>
> John Kuthe...

Previous to this, I posted about how my posts were now showing up
instantly.

POS GoogleGroups! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in news:bb74d351-02a4-
:

> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> back! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Use a free news server. Google is -0-.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/19/2011 9:36 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Jerry Avins wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 10:52 am, John > wrote:
>>> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>>> back! ;-)
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Several posts of mine went astray too.

> Why do people use google groups?
>
> If you run in XP or earlier, you have the free Outlook Express. And with
> any OS there are several free newsreaders you can use.
>
> eternal-seprember.org is free.
>
> So why in the world would anyone use google groups?
>
> Have you tried using a reader and actually prefer a web interface?

I have a block account and a free account Usenet servers. Currently I
don't know which one I'm using nor do I care. I'm using T-Bird on a
laptop but if I find the servers to be slow, I'll use Google Groups. If
I happen to be using my iPad, I'll post through GG.

If we assume that mobile computing and hand-held devices are the future
of computing it doesn't take a genius to see that GG is the future of
Usenet. As it goes, Google Groups as implemented on the iPad has some
serious issues. Hopefully, it'll get fixed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 10:59*am, Christopher Helms >
wrote:
> On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > back! ;-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Nothing I like more than a post from somebody complaining about their
> posts not showing up.

I can think of a bunch of stuff I like better than that. Steak,
cherries, hiking in the forest or in creek beds, listening to music,
not to mention sex. You have a weird favorite thing.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 8:49*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 10:59*am, Christopher Helms >
> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > > back! ;-)

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Nothing I like more than a post from somebody complaining about their
> > posts not showing up.

> I can think of a bunch of stuff I like better than that. *Steak,
> cherries, hiking in the forest or in creek beds, *listening to music,
> not to mention sex. *You have a weird favorite thing.
>
> --Bryan

Someone please beat Bryan with the irony shovel! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:45:00 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 09:04:25 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month for a news server like APN,
>>>why not go with whatever it was that CC mentioned just the other day
>>>for something like $13 a year?

>> My posts were disappearing last week and the week before. I blamed
>> Forte
>> Janet US

> Janet US,
>
> I've lost several posts on Usenet over the years.
>
> It had to be a giganews server hic-up.
>
> I DID double-check to make sure I hadn't <plonk'd> myself. LOL!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

that would surprise no one.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:29:37 -0500, Andy wrote:

> blake murphy > wrote:

>>> Janet US,
>>>
>>> I've lost several posts on Usenet over the years.
>>>
>>> It had to be a giganews server hic-up.
>>>
>>> I DID double-check to make sure I hadn't <plonk'd> myself. LOL!!!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy

>> that would surprise no one.
>>
>> blake

> Your stupid problem is, no matter how hard you try... my posts will
> continually kick you in your ugly face.
>
> Andy

<derisive snort>

dream on, imbecile.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:

> Why do people use google groups?
>
> If you run in XP or earlier, you have the free Outlook Express. And with
> any OS there are several free newsreaders you can use.
>
> eternal-seprember.org is free.
>
> So why in the world would anyone use google groups?

Fortunately, I'm not "anyone", so I don't. I look up old posts on rare
occasions.

:-)

> Have you tried using a reader and actually prefer a web interface?

I also find it hard to believe that anyone who had a good experience
with something else would prefer the Google web interface for posting
and everyday reading.

I have read postings from people who travel a lot, use many computers
and have security restrictions (a firewall that blocks the ports used by
newsgroups). For myself, I have been gone for the last 2 1/2 weeks
visiting relatives. Although I had computer access for most of the
time, I choose not to set up a news client on someone else's computer.
So I have just not posted or read.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:05:03 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> For myself, I have been gone for the last 2 1/2 weeks
> visiting relatives. Although I had computer access for most of the
> time, I choose not to set up a news client on someone else's computer.
> So I have just not posted or read.

Dan, a netbook is a wonderful thing! We use it like a laptop when not
on vacation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> back! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Google is 3 days behind with posts - dunno why; I sent them an e-mail
yesterday - still isn't fixed. Maybe they've gone overboard with a "5-
second" delay for bad language.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > back! ;-)

> > John Kuthe...

> Nothing I like more than a post from somebody complaining about their
> posts not showing up.

I use Google because our university servers don't have a news reader
any more - whether I'm at home or at work.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:10:37 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>> back! ;-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>Google is 3 days behind with posts - dunno why; I sent them an e-mail
>yesterday - still isn't fixed. Maybe they've gone overboard with a "5-
>second" delay for bad language.
>
>N.

Google is doing a massive overhaul of groups. Part of it seems to be
bollixing up all sorts of posts right now. Complaints are showing up
in a lot of Usenet groups.

http://www.groups.google.com/support...y?answer=46240
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:10:37 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>> back! ;-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Google is 3 days behind with posts - dunno why; I sent them an e-mail
> yesterday - still isn't fixed. Maybe they've gone overboard with a "5-
> second" delay for bad language.
>
> N.

does google filter bad language? seriously?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:11:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> On Jun 19, 10:59*am, Christopher Helms >
> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 9:52*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>
>>> I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>>> back! ;-)

>>> John Kuthe...

>> Nothing I like more than a post from somebody complaining about their
>> posts not showing up.

> I use Google because our university servers don't have a news reader
> any more - whether I'm at home or at work.
>
> N.

i thought if you had net access you could use any of a variety of usenet
servers. i don't think verizon maintains a usenet server *per se*.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:27:37 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

> Google is doing a massive overhaul of groups. Part of it seems to be
> bollixing up all sorts of posts right now. Complaints are showing up
> in a lot of Usenet groups.
>
> http://www.groups.google.com/support...y?answer=46240

IOW, they want you to have an account at Google Groups to link your
Google groups activity to the rest of your online, Google-based
activities and email so they can mine data about your life much
easier.

This will also result in Google Groups being more visible to the
casual and clueless Google users. They will be promoting Google
groups more, I'd bet. Mark my words - we'll be seeing even more than
the usual trickle of clueless newbies entering the world of UseNet in
the near future (and if not then most everybody will forgot I said
this and nobody will be the wiser ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:11:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> I use Google because our university servers don't have a news reader
> any more - whether I'm at home or at work.

Did you mean news server. A reader is what you use to read the news
you get from the server. There are lots of free news readers and free
to low cost news servers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 3:36*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:
> Jerry Avins wrote:
> > On Jun 19, 10:52 am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> > > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > > back! ;-)

> > > John Kuthe...

> > Several posts of mine went astray too.

> Why do people use google groups?
>
> If you run in XP or earlier, you have the free Outlook Express. *And with
> any OS there are several free newsreaders you can use.
>
> eternal-seprember.org is free.
>
> So why in the world would anyone use google groups?
>
> Have you tried using a reader and actually prefer a web interface?
>
> --
>
> Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
> zero, and remove the last word.

because for some people, it's just a recreation, it's not worth
bothering with a separate newsreader, downloading headers, etc. Some
people just want to check in while they are doing their daily web-
surfing. And why do YOU care what anyone uses to read this group?
It's none of your business. Are you the usenet police?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 19, 12:04*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:52:41 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>
> > wrote:
> > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
> > back! ;-)

> If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month for a news server like APN,
> why not go with whatever it was that CC mentioned just the other day
> for something like $13 a year?
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

you're pretty free spending other people's money. How dare you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 17:39:44 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

LTNS and WB!!!

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:46:53 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:11:48 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I use Google because our university servers don't have a news reader
> >> any more - whether I'm at home or at work.
> >>

> > Did you mean news server. A reader is what you use to read the news
> > you get from the server. There are lots of free news readers and free
> > to low cost news servers.

> I suspect she's not allowed to install any software on her work
> computer(s), hence, no news readers at work. If that's the case, why is
> accessing usenet, using a browser, from work?

I've heard of people running my particular news reader from a thumb
drive. What policy would be against that?

> Not sure what the holdup is at home, where there should be complete freedom
> to use any software and servers desired.

Ditto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

-snip-

>I've heard of people running my particular news reader from a thumb
>drive. What policy would be against that?

Probably the one like where my wife works. 'don't get any of your
software near our computer. No thumbdrives, no cd's, no usb
attachments, no nuthin'. And don't go to any site that you can't
explain how it related to the job your doing at that instant.'
[That last should solve the original problem.<g>]

It seems draconian- but if I was an employer I'd do the same thing. a
virus on work network is just too costly. [and in her case it
their client's medical records which need to be protected]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:06:24 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >
> >I've heard of people running my particular news reader from a thumb
> >drive. What policy would be against that?

> Probably the one like where my wife works. 'don't get any of your
> software near our computer. No thumbdrives, no cd's, no usb
> attachments, no nuthin'. And don't go to any site that you can't
> explain how it related to the job your doing at that instant.'
> [That last should solve the original problem.<g>]

Granted!

> It seems draconian- but if I was an employer I'd do the same thing. a
> virus on work network is just too costly.

Yeah, I would too... but many posters (over time) have claimed to be
at an office computer and some were in sensitive positions.

> [and in her case it
> their client's medical records which need to be protected]

Aha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:43:30 -0700 (PDT), ---- >
wrote:

>On Jun 19, 3:36*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote:

>> So why in the world would anyone use google groups?
>>
>> Have you tried using a reader and actually prefer a web interface?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
>> zero, and remove the last word.

>because for some people, it's just a recreation, it's not worth
>bothering with a separate newsreader, downloading headers, etc. Some
>people just want to check in while they are doing their daily web-
>surfing.

That's the most ridiculous argument yet. "not worth bothering?" HAHA!
It's far faster to use the real deal than some dummed down toy with no
features.

>And why do YOU care what anyone uses to read this group?
>It's none of your business. Are you the usenet police?

I really doubt real usenet users care what you use. Speaking only for
myself all I care about is not seeing the bitching because you're
using crap that sucks. If it doesn't work get something else or STFU.
It's getting old. Not to mention it's OT.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:45:15 -0700 (PDT), ---- >
wrote:

>On Jun 19, 12:04*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:52:41 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > I think I will call GoogleGroups' helpdesk and demand my money
>> > back! ;-)

>> If you can't afford to pay $2.50 a month for a news server like APN,
>> why not go with whatever it was that CC mentioned just the other day
>> for something like $13 a year?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

>you're pretty free spending other people's money. How dare you.

How many people do you need to tell you that you can also get it free?
Just because you're not bright enough to figure it out doesn't mean
anyone wants to hear you whining.

Lou