Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's the secret?

What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?

I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 15, 7:54*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas. *Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?
>
> I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
> to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
> appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.
>
> gloria p

Did you cut it across the grain?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-16, gloria.p > wrote:

> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

How long did you marinate?

Also, where's the cilantro, although that should have no bearing on
tenderness. Are you sure you had skirt steak and not something
relabeled by unscrupulous dirtbags? Fajita meat should be grilled hot
and fast, no more than 60-90 secs per side.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/06/2011 8:54 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?
>
> I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
> to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
> appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.

Slice it thin and across the grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:54:40 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
>I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
>for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.

He over cooked it.

>Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

Hot and fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2011 7:04 PM, Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Jun 15, 7:54 pm, > wrote:
>> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>>
>> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
>> for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
>> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?
>>
>> I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
>> to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
>> appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.
>>
>> gloria p

> Did you cut it across the grain?

Yes. I cut the rest of it into small chunks today and simmered it in
beef stock with a bit of sweet onion. Added sliced sauteed mushrooms,
cornstarch slurry and sour cream just before serving over rice, ersatz
Stroganoff. Sides of cold broccoli with dressing and a fruit salad.

It was tender and delicious.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/15/2011 7:54 PM, gloria.p wrote:

> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas.

How long did you marinate it? I usually marinate it overnight, doesn't
get mushy but does do a good job IMHO.
Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

Normally I grill it on medium heat. Did you cut it across the grain or
with the grain. To the best of my knowledge skirt steak should always be
cut across the grain.

> I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
> to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
> appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?

Long and slow.

> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas. Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.
> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

Yup.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> What's the secret to cooking skirt steak?
>
> I marinated some in garlic and fresh lime juice yesterday
> for fajitas.

Sounds good.

>Husband cooked it on the grill. It was very tough.

Did you remove all the connective tissue on the outside of it? The
other trick is to cut it on the bias like you would a flank steak. I
cut the slices into bite sized chunks... but let's face it, you can't
make a silk purse out of a sow's ear <same for flank steak and tri
tip>.

> Should it have been long-and-slow grilled?

No. I love skirt steak, it's my favorite meat for fajita! Sear the
outside quickly over high heat and keep the inside pink.

> I think I will braise the leftovers slowly tonight hoping
> to break down the connective tissue a bit more but I would
> appreciate knowing what we should have done in the first place.

You should have removed the connective tissue to begin with. I don't
think braising will improve it very much. Good luck!

A secret tip! God[_2_] General Cooking 3 04-12-2012 02:09 AM
Secret Formula Lengend--- several most money-attractive secret recieps rainandwind Wine 3 13-11-2008 04:16 AM
My Secret Dry Rub Jimbo Barbecue 2 07-01-2004 09:31 PM