Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Microwave good? Microwave bad?

Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:

> With a time limit of 20 minutes, I'd think one would be at great advantage
> if they knew how to PROPERLY cook with a microwave. I've gotten better at
> it but I do admit there are a few things that cannot be cooked in them,
> but damned few, mostly involving meats other than poultry and some cuts of
> pork.

This might be interesting grounds for discussion.

1. What foods cook especially well in the microwave?

2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?

Here are some of my observations. Note that these apply to *cooking* the
food rather than *reheating* it:

MICROWAVE GOOD: Many cereals: grits, rice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat;
polenta, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed puddings, and shrimp

MICROWAVE BAD: bread, chicken, beef, pork, whole eggs

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:49:12 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> This might be interesting grounds for discussion.
>
> 1. What foods cook especially well in the microwave?

My MW is a 'combi' MW i.e. it also has a grill setting and a convection
setting - but on pure MW setting I have found that frozen vegetables
(especially peas) cook beautifully. I've also had good results with fresh
corn on the cob.

My son makes a killer mac 'n cheese (from scratch, not the boxed stuff
<g>) in his MW.

> 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?

Most red meat - IME, it turns out grey-looking and/or like leather. Ick.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>My MW is a 'combi' MW i.e. it also has a grill setting and a convection
>setting - but on pure MW setting I have found that frozen vegetables
>(especially peas) cook beautifully. I've also had good results with fresh
>corn on the cob.
>
>My son makes a killer mac 'n cheese (from scratch, not the boxed stuff
><g>) in his MW.
>

>> 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?

>Most red meat - IME, it turns out grey-looking and/or like leather. Ick.

Microwaves do really well with fatty and cured meats, like bacon and
sausages of all types, they turn out just as browned and crispy as
with the usual pan frying, no one can tell the difference. SPAM nukes
up magnificently. I don't like pizza reheated in the microwave, I'd
rather eat it cold. I don't like any baked goods, especially breads
heated with a nuker, ruins any sandwich. I use my microwave to melt
butter all the time, for drizzling over air-popped popcorn. Naturally
microwaves are excellent with fresh and frozen veggies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 5:15*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:

> ... I've also had good results with fresh corn on the cob.

Zap it with the husk on. It stays moister and the silk is easily
removed.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> My MW is a 'combi' MW i.e. it also has a grill setting and a convection
>> setting - but on pure MW setting I have found that frozen vegetables
>> (especially peas) cook beautifully. I've also had good results with fresh
>> corn on the cob.
>>
>> My son makes a killer mac 'n cheese (from scratch, not the boxed stuff
>> <g>) in his MW.
>>

>>> 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?

>> Most red meat - IME, it turns out grey-looking and/or like leather. Ick.

> Microwaves do really well with fatty and cured meats, like bacon and
> sausages of all types, they turn out just as browned and crispy as
> with the usual pan frying, no one can tell the difference. SPAM nukes
> up magnificently. I don't like pizza reheated in the microwave, I'd
> rather eat it cold. I don't like any baked goods, especially breads
> heated with a nuker, ruins any sandwich. I use my microwave to melt
> butter all the time, for drizzling over air-popped popcorn. Naturally
> microwaves are excellent with fresh and frozen veggies.

Hmmm... My microwave has a snack, bread and pizza option for reheating. It
is not that bad. No it is not as good as an oven, but microwave is a lot
faster and somewhat acceptable on the bread setting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2011 10:25 AM, Nad R wrote:
> Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>>
>>> My MW is a 'combi' MW i.e. it also has a grill setting and a convection
>>> setting - but on pure MW setting I have found that frozen vegetables
>>> (especially peas) cook beautifully. I've also had good results with fresh
>>> corn on the cob.
>>>
>>> My son makes a killer mac 'n cheese (from scratch, not the boxed stuff
>>> <g>) in his MW.

>>> Most red meat - IME, it turns out grey-looking and/or like leather. Ick.

>> Microwaves do really well with fatty and cured meats, like bacon and
>> sausages of all types, they turn out just as browned and crispy as
>> with the usual pan frying, no one can tell the difference. SPAM nukes
>> up magnificently. I don't like pizza reheated in the microwave, I'd
>> rather eat it cold. I don't like any baked goods, especially breads
>> heated with a nuker, ruins any sandwich. I use my microwave to melt
>> butter all the time, for drizzling over air-popped popcorn. Naturally
>> microwaves are excellent with fresh and frozen veggies.

> Hmmm... My microwave has a snack, bread and pizza option for reheating. It
> is not that bad. No it is not as good as an oven, but microwave is a lot
> faster and somewhat acceptable on the bread setting.

Microwaves are pretty good for defrosting frozen bagels. You really must
defrost if you are going to *safely* slice a bagel for toasting. I have
a technique that works well for quickly reheating bagels: 30 seconds
nuking, put in cold oven and take out when temperature reaches 350F.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 06:55:29 -0700, Jerry Avins wrote:

> On Jun 23, 5:15*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>

>> ... I've also had good results with fresh corn on the cob.

> Zap it with the husk on. It stays moister and the silk is easily
> removed.

You betcha - somebody else advised me to do that and it does indeed work.
Corn on the cob also turns out great on an outdoor grill if one leaves the
husks on too. (Now I'm jonesing for some corn on the cob <g>)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

good: any vegetable, fresh, frozen or canned

-any cereal or grain.
-meats like bacon or sausage with a high fat content or soy burgers.
-chicken if you have a steamer.
-noodles or soups if you have the time for the soups.
-eggs, scrambled or hard fried if you will eat yolk hard, soft and boild
need special stuff.
-popcorn.
-some sweets like the microwave brownie in a coffee cup.
-hot cocoa
-I have succesffuly made pork roast and potatoes but the recipe while good
is rather elaborate and saves littl/no time in cooking.

Lee"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:
>
>> With a time limit of 20 minutes, I'd think one would be at great
>> advantage
>> if they knew how to PROPERLY cook with a microwave. I've gotten better at
>> it but I do admit there are a few things that cannot be cooked in them,
>> but damned few, mostly involving meats other than poultry and some cuts
>> of
>> pork.

> This might be interesting grounds for discussion.
>
> 1. What foods cook especially well in the microwave?
>
> 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?
>

> Here are some of my observations. Note that these apply to *cooking* the
> food rather than *reheating* it:
>
> MICROWAVE GOOD: Many cereals: grits, rice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat;
> polenta, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed puddings, and shrimp
>
> MICROWAVE BAD: bread, chicken, beef, pork, whole eggs
>

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopped?

Nancy2 wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> They do have some strange combinations. *The chefs often come up with really
>> good looking meals though. *I happen to like tongue and rabbit, but I'd not
>> pair them with pork rinds.

> The pork rinds were ground up and used for a coating - pretty tasty
> according to the judges. ;-)

Pork rinds crushed as a coating for deep frying. That's a standard
issue item in plenty of low carbing households. That's one of the times
when I looked at the ingredients and thought "Pork rinds are easy. What
will be the hard ingredient?" I'd be tempted to make rabbit schnitzel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-24, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Pork rinds crushed as a coating for deep frying. That's a standard
> issue item in plenty of low carbing households.

Figures. "low carbing households" are filled with morons.

nb

--
vi ...the root of evil

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jun 2011 16:49:22 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-06-24, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
> > Pork rinds crushed as a coating for deep frying. That's a standard
> > issue item in plenty of low carbing households.

> Figures. "low carbing households" are filled with morons.

In this case, I agree 100%. Cut the carbs and deep fry. LOL

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jun 2011 16:49:22 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2011-06-24, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
> > Pork rinds crushed as a coating for deep frying. That's a standard
> > issue item in plenty of low carbing households.

> Figures. "low carbing households" are filled with morons.

At minimum, they are filled with people who are constantly
verbing nouns.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 7:49*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:

**** that. I'd still like to know who the person or people of
influence is/are that she is sucking up to. It's just RFC. Get over
it already. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PVC wrote:

>> Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:

> **** that. I'd still like to know who the person or people of influence
> is/are that she is sucking up to. It's just RFC. Get over it already.
> LOL

Nobody of INFLUENCE, of course. As you so adroitly stated the obvious, it's
just RFC. But Sycophant does suck up to Captain Peter Swallows, Chester, and
clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz. God only knows what kind of favor
she's trying to (ObFood) curry.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> At minimum, they are filled with people who are constantly
> verbing nouns.

There's better flavor when you noun verbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Cut the carbs and deep fry.

Well dried broccoli florets fried in fondue oil would turn you into a
convert. Not coating or seasoning at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant lied:

> I don't suck up to anyone on usenet. ;-) It's an anarchy and I like it
> that way. I type what I think, no more, no less and I admire you for
> doing the same.

You're a liar.

> He resents that and keeps trying to crawl out of the sewer that birthed
> him.

If I resented the fact that you killfiled me, I'd just morph with every
post. I guess that means I've caught you in *another* lie, you drug-raddled
fugly thief!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:20:06 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Cut the carbs and deep fry.

> Well dried broccoli florets fried in fondue oil would turn you into a
> convert. Not coating or seasoning at all.

It might taste great, but it's a stupid concept if you're low carbing
to lose weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 24 Jun 2011 16:49:22 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2011-06-24, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>>
>> > Pork rinds crushed as a coating for deep frying. That's a standard
>> > issue item in plenty of low carbing households.

>> Figures. "low carbing households" are filled with morons.
>>

> In this case, I agree 100%. Cut the carbs and deep fry. LOL

And that is wrong...why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:55:52 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:20:06 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> > > wrote:

> > > Well dried broccoli florets fried in fondue oil would turn you into a
> > > convert. Not coating or seasoning at all.

> > It might taste great, but it's a stupid concept if you're low carbing
> > to lose weight.

> Fat does not make you fat.
>
> The fastest I've EVER lost weight (and I've done it twice now) has been
> with the Atkins Fat Fast. And the weight lost stayed off.
>
> And it did not raise my serum lipid levels...
>
> It's just hard as hell to stay on for very long 'cause get hungry and
> crave protein. <g>
>
> Each time I did it and was strict (no cheating), I lost 5 lbs. per week.
> And kept it off when going back to the low carb diet.
>
> Fat is not the enemy.

I have no idea what you meant by fat fast, but yes - fat is bad for
you, Om. If you don't need the fat calories to live, fat turns into
more fat (for modern eaters in the land of plenty) and it clogs your
arteries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Fat is not the enemy.

> I have no idea what you meant by fat fast, but yes - fat is bad for
> you, Om. If you don't need the fat calories to live, fat turns into
> more fat (for modern eaters in the land of plenty) and it clogs your
> arteries.

She's too stupid to accept overwhelming medical evidence because it's not
what she wants to believe. Just let her continue guzzling coconut oil, and
the problem will resolve itself soon enough.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:55:52 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:20:06 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger

>> > It might taste great, but it's a stupid concept if you're low carbing
>> > to lose weight.

>> Fat does not make you fat.
>>
>> The fastest I've EVER lost weight (and I've done it twice now) has been
>> with the Atkins Fat Fast. And the weight lost stayed off.
>>
>> And it did not raise my serum lipid levels...
>>
>> It's just hard as hell to stay on for very long 'cause get hungry and
>> crave protein. <g>
>>
>> Each time I did it and was strict (no cheating), I lost 5 lbs. per week.
>> And kept it off when going back to the low carb diet.
>>
>> Fat is not the enemy.

> I have no idea what you meant by fat fast, but yes - fat is bad for
> you, Om. If you don't need the fat calories to live, fat turns into
> more fat (for modern eaters in the land of plenty) and it clogs your
> arteries.

Seriously? Cite for that please. You're saying olive oil and avocados clog
arteries?

And if only fat merely turned to fat. That just isn't the case. However I
also believe there is no one diet that fits all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> sf wrote:
>
>>> Fat is not the enemy.

>> I have no idea what you meant by fat fast, but yes - fat is bad for
>> you, Om. If you don't need the fat calories to live, fat turns into
>> more fat (for modern eaters in the land of plenty) and it clogs your
>> arteries.

> She's too stupid to accept overwhelming medical evidence because it's not
> what she wants to believe. Just let her continue guzzling coconut oil, and
> the problem will resolve itself soon enough.

Coconut oil is good for you unless it is the partially hydrogenated stuff
which is what they did the testing on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie wrote:

>> She's too stupid to accept overwhelming medical evidence because it's not
>> what she wants to believe. Just let her continue guzzling coconut oil,
>> and the problem will resolve itself soon enough.

> Coconut oil is good for you unless it is the partially hydrogenated stuff
> which is what they did the testing on.

Look at the mortality rates in the places where coconut oil is widely
used -- and it is NOT just the partially hydrogenated stuff. You're free to
believe whatever you wish, though.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> Julie wrote:
>
>>> She's too stupid to accept overwhelming medical evidence because it's
>>> not
>>> what she wants to believe. Just let her continue guzzling coconut oil,
>>> and the problem will resolve itself soon enough.

>> Coconut oil is good for you unless it is the partially hydrogenated stuff
>> which is what they did the testing on.

> Look at the mortality rates in the places where coconut oil is widely
> used -- and it is NOT just the partially hydrogenated stuff. You're free
> believe whatever you wish, though.

I'm sure there are other issues. Like lack of medical care.

I don't eat a lot of coconut oil. I do bake with it. Note that I bake
maybe two to three times a year. And I pop my corn in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Well dried broccoli florets fried in fondue oil would turn you into a
>> convert. Not coating or seasoning at all.

> It might taste great, but it's a stupid concept if you're low carbing
> to lose weight.

Completely and demonstrably false. False information about diet and fat
gain are wel correlated with the number of fat people at the mall. If
you want to see if the "common knowledge" about fat is true or false the
test is simple - Go to the mall and look to see if there are fat people
there. Over about 10% and the conclusion is the common knowledge is
false.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> It's just hard as hell to stay on for very long 'cause get hungry and
> crave protein.

Just plain careful low carbing causes the weight to drift towards ideal.
With 100+ to lose that drift can be 2 pounds per week. With 10-20 to
lose that drift can be 1 pound per month or more. Without hunger.

The problem with low carbing is the same as the problem with any other
plan. Stop doing it and it stops working. In particular it's easy to
turn the hunger back on. For me that's still a lot better than low fat
where the hunger never went away, ever.

As usual there's a percentage of the population who aren't hungry on low
fat so that's the plan they should use. There's also a percent of the
population who aren't hungry on low carb so that's the plan they should
use. The low carb percentage is higher but neither is the entire
population.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:58:53 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Go to the mall and look to see if there are fat people
> there. Over about 10% and the conclusion is the common knowledge is
> false.

Those fat people are drinking soft drinks and chowing down on mall
food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-25, Omelet > wrote:

> I suggest you do some googling on the Atkins fat fast. Eating fat does
> not turn into more fat unless you eat too many calories.

None of this is new. Not even Atkins. Calaries Don't Count, book
pushing a diet advocating counting carbs, not calories, came out over
50 yrs ago.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

perhaps you coul explain this, of all the food plans i have rad about i
haven't heard about a fast fast, how i missed it don't know, lol, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>> >
>> > It's just hard as hell to stay on for very long 'cause get hungry and
>> > crave protein.

>> Just plain careful low carbing causes the weight to drift towards ideal.
>> With 100+ to lose that drift can be 2 pounds per week. With 10-20 to
>> lose that drift can be 1 pound per month or more. Without hunger.
>>
>> The problem with low carbing is the same as the problem with any other
>> plan. Stop doing it and it stops working. In particular it's easy to
>> turn the hunger back on. For me that's still a lot better than low fat
>> where the hunger never went away, ever.
>>
>> As usual there's a percentage of the population who aren't hungry on low
>> fat so that's the plan they should use. There's also a percent of the
>> population who aren't hungry on low carb so that's the plan they should
>> use. The low carb percentage is higher but neither is the entire
>> population.

> I understand. :-) The Fat Fast is just a quick way to lose some weight
> but not healthy if used long term.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:58:53 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> > wrote:
>
>> Go to the mall and look to see if there are fat people
>> there. Over about 10% and the conclusion is the common knowledge is
>> false.

> Those fat people are drinking soft drinks and chowing down on mall
> food.

I'm a fat person who drinks diet soda. The last and only time I've had mall
food in the past almost 7 years since I moved back here was a meal from Taco
Time. We had taken my daughter's friend to the mall. We had planned to go
elsewhere for dinner but then it got too late and the kids were hungry so we
ate there. Taco Time is a local chain. They cook fresh foods and have many
healthy choices like Fit Bowls, salads and white chicken chili.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:37:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I'm a fat person

I don't belive you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:37:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm a fat person

> I don't belive you.

What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie about
that? Does this look thin?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg

Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've mostly
been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago. I did
gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a little more
after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.

I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:46:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:37:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a fat person

>> I don't belive you.

>What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie about
>that? Does this look thin?
>
>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg
>
>Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
>glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've mostly
>been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago. I did
>gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a little more
>after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.
>
>I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
>should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.

My Doctor said something to me once that makes a lot of sense. He said
"Body weight is a simple equation; calories in versus calories out".
Of course, as with you, there are a lot of other factors to what you
eat, concerning allergies and the like, but if you exercise enough and
often enough to make more calories leave your body than you are
putting into it, you'll lose weight. Exercise is the key to losing
weight. Steady, day to day exercise. If you have a life of sitting on
a couch with no exercise, then it will make losing weight almost
impossible. By looking at the distribution of the weight in your
picture, I think perhaps you do little exercise. Try doing more each
day and watch your weight loss increase. It worked for me. It's hard
to exercise. Real hard for some. It takes willpower to do 30 minutes
of moderate exercise each day for me, but I stick with it. I've lost
25 pounds so far doing this at a one pound per/week rate. The Doctor
tells me that's the best way to do it, as I can keep the weight off
that way. Good luck in your effort!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2011 1:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie about
> that? Does this look thin?
>
> http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg
>
> Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
> glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've mostly
> been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago. I did
> gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a little more
> after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.
>
> I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
> should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.

My best advice, is to look at your diet and see what could be causing
the problem. Most people can lose weight by removing sugar and flour
from their diet. Exercise is good for you, but a personal trainer told
me, that 85% of my weight loss would come from diet alone. Exercise is
good for your heart and lungs, your arteries, your muscles and
flexibility. It also improves the mind. I believe exercise is the key
to having a healthy body, but to lose weight, you must start with your
diet. I wish you the best of luck.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2011 6:50 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-06-25, > wrote:
>
>> I suggest you do some googling on the Atkins fat fast. Eating fat does
>> not turn into more fat unless you eat too many calories.

> None of this is new. Not even Atkins. Calaries Don't Count, book
> pushing a diet advocating counting carbs, not calories, came out over
> 50 yrs ago.
>
> nb

This reminds me that I have to thank Omelet for kick-starting my diet
about 3 yrs ago. You can see my photo on Facebook, and I have lost 50
lbs since that photo was taken. Thanks Omelet, I appreciate it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and not gaining ut for sure is the first victory, Lee

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:37:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a fat person

>> I don't belive you.

> What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie
> about that? Does this look thin?
>
> http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg
>
> Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
> glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've
> mostly been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago.
> I did gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a
> little more after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.
>
> I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
> should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

your trainer is exactly right, and for some its cutting starches, others
fat, this stupid notion its only calories in/out is so out of date, exercise
like most things can't hurt, but until we get over our "one size fits all "
mindset we can't begin to work on personal food plans that help each
individual as they need. Lee
"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/26/2011 1:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie
>> about
>> that? Does this look thin?
>>
>> http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg
>>
>> Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
>> glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've
>> mostly
>> been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago. I
>> did
>> gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a little
>> more
>> after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.
>>
>> I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
>> should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.

> My best advice, is to look at your diet and see what could be causing the
> problem. Most people can lose weight by removing sugar and flour from
> their diet. Exercise is good for you, but a personal trainer told me,
> that 85% of my weight loss would come from diet alone. Exercise is good
> for your heart and lungs, your arteries, your muscles and flexibility. It
> also improves the mind. I believe exercise is the key to having a healthy
> body, but to lose weight, you must start with your diet. I wish you the
> best of luck.
>
> Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Post" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:46:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:37:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I don't belive you.

>>What? You don't believe that I am fat? Why in the world would I lie
>>about
>>that? Does this look thin?
>>
>>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...bove/jtday.jpg
>>
>>Granted that photo is at least a year old. My hair is shorter and my
>>glasses are now purple. But my weight has not changed. In fact I've
>>mostly
>>been this same weight since before I got married some 16 years ago. I did
>>gain a little towards the end of my pregnancy and then oddly a little more
>>after that, but I also had a thyroid problem.
>>
>>I have seen many a dietician. I am following the diet I was given. I
>>should be losing about a pound a week. I am not. But I am not gaining.
>>

> My Doctor said something to me once that makes a lot of sense. He said
> "Body weight is a simple equation; calories in versus calories out".
> Of course, as with you, there are a lot of other factors to what you
> eat, concerning allergies and the like, but if you exercise enough and
> often enough to make more calories leave your body than you are
> putting into it, you'll lose weight. Exercise is the key to losing
> weight. Steady, day to day exercise. If you have a life of sitting on
> a couch with no exercise, then it will make losing weight almost
> impossible. By looking at the distribution of the weight in your
> picture, I think perhaps you do little exercise. Try doing more each
> day and watch your weight loss increase. It worked for me. It's hard
> to exercise. Real hard for some. It takes willpower to do 30 minutes
> of moderate exercise each day for me, but I stick with it. I've lost
> 25 pounds so far doing this at a one pound per/week rate. The Doctor
> tells me that's the best way to do it, as I can keep the weight off
> that way. Good luck in your effort!

Rather hard to exercise when you're disabled.

Canadian Chopped Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 54 14-05-2014 11:06 PM
chopped and minced sf[_9_] General Cooking 29 14-12-2013 05:40 PM
chopped champion big fish General Cooking 20 04-10-2011 11:48 PM
Chopped ImStillMags General Cooking 51 19-03-2011 04:51 AM
A Chopped Salad Curly Sue General Cooking 39 18-11-2003 01:50 PM