Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopped?

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Must be something I put in my killfile, then. Oh
> well. Am I missing
> much?
> Bob

Sometimes, they make Andy look brilliant. I wouldn't
worry about what you might be missing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:21:43 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> Julie wrote:
>>
>>> I am also prone to ear infections because of the diabetes. Ear infections
>>> of the fungal type.

>> That's a new one on me; I'd never heard that diabetes makes people more
>> susceptible to fungal infections. Is that why diabetics are supposed to
>> examine their feet all the time, to see if athlete's foot is gaining a
>> toehold?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> No, because their circulation can become impaired, especially in their
> extremities, and they can lose feeling also. So if they get an
> infection, it can become necrotic. Any diabetic is more susceptible
> to infections...they don't heal as fast if they get a wound.
>
> Goomba probably knows a lot more than I do..as I don't do adults any
> more....
>
> Christine

high blood glucose tends to "feed" infection, causing outbreak more
easily than healthy folks usually experience. The feet thing is as
Christine stated-diminished ability to feel injury, as well as the blood
sugar being higher causing slow healing.
Moist, sweaty ears (and other dark scary places) are some favorite
hangouts for the fungal or yeast infections that diabetics sometimes get.
Keeping ones blood sugars within normal limits either with drugs, diet
or a combination thereof can head off these and other problems so not
every diabetic will experience such things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Microwave good? Microwave bad?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Omelet:
>>
>>> With a time limit of 20 minutes, I'd think one would be at great advantage
>>> if they knew how to PROPERLY cook with a microwave. I've gotten better at
>>> it but I do admit there are a few things that cannot be cooked in them,
>>> but damned few, mostly involving meats other than poultry and some cuts of
>>> pork.

>> I have recently discovered that greens cook quickly and well in
>> the microwave. I feel rather stupid for not having that epiphany
>> many years ago.

> For four ears of corn or less nothing beats the microwave for speed,
> and no flavor is lost to boiling water. For flavor I prefer grilling
> but it doesn't pay to light a grill for a small quantity of corn. My
> microwave is more than 25 years old so it's not as powerful as the
> newer models but still it needs only 3-4 minutes per ear, depending on
> size. I also use the microwave to cook 1-2 spuds in jackets, I know
> they are not baked but I'm not going to light an oven for 1-2
> potatoes.

Especially when it is hot out. Yes, I switched to cooking corn in
the microwave some years ago. And I will confess that I usually
nuke those potatoes, also with the understanding that they are not
baked. I really HATE heating up the house with the wall oven or
even the somewhat smaller convection oven, especially when I am
struggling to keep the house cool. It also seems like a waste of
electricity to bake something so small for so long.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:37:20 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:07:14 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz replied:

>>> They're typical posts VIA typical newsreader through Eternal September
>>> - just like many of the other posts here.

>> Must be something I put in my killfile, then. Oh well. Am I missing much?
>>
>> Bob

>no. well, unless you're a connoisseur of stupid.
>
>your pal,
>blake

Damn Flake, I liked you better when you were talking about sucking
cocks. At least your mouth was full.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 01:09:13 -0600, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:38:42 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>you do children instead? tsk, tsk christine.
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> I am the worst of the worst..I only do babies..and sick babies at
> that.
>
> Christine

i hope it's fun at least.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:56:54 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "John Smythe" > wrote:
>
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>>
>>> Must be something I put in my killfile, then. Oh
>>> well. Am I missing
>>> much?
>>> Bob

>> Sometimes, they make Andy look brilliant. I wouldn't
>> worry about what you might be missing.

> We know you are a newcomer and obviously just grabbing for attention.
>
> Your lack of brilliance is hard to not notice!
>
> Andy

whereas everyone notices your stupidity right away.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:46:08 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>everyone notices your stupidity right away.
>
>blake

I'll bet you hear that a lot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> We know you are a newcomer and obviously just
> grabbing for attention.
>
> Your lack of brilliance is hard to not notice!
>
> Andy

Whatever.
I don't really care about attention, but I think I
had you figured out pretty damned quickly, didn't I?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:39:51 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "Jean B." wrote:
>>> Omelet:

>>> I have recently discovered that greens cook quickly and well in
>>> the microwave. I feel rather stupid for not having that epiphany
>>> many years ago.

>> For four ears of corn or less nothing beats the microwave for speed,
>> and no flavor is lost to boiling water. For flavor I prefer grilling
>> but it doesn't pay to light a grill for a small quantity of corn. My
>> microwave is more than 25 years old so it's not as powerful as the
>> newer models but still it needs only 3-4 minutes per ear, depending on
>> size. I also use the microwave to cook 1-2 spuds in jackets, I know
>> they are not baked but I'm not going to light an oven for 1-2
>> potatoes.

>Especially when it is hot out. Yes, I switched to cooking corn in
>the microwave some years ago. And I will confess that I usually
>nuke those potatoes, also with the understanding that they are not
>baked. I really HATE heating up the house with the wall oven or
>even the somewhat smaller convection oven, especially when I am
>struggling to keep the house cool. It also seems like a waste of
>electricity to bake something so small for so long.

Sometimes I'd really prefer fried potatoes but with the microwave
there's no pan to wash. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't put me out
much if I had to live with only two kitchen appliances, a microwave
oven and a fridge. I got through the entire day today cooking
nothing, oh, add my ADC, I cooked coffee, well, I pushed a button. Let
me think what I ate today; for lunch I ate two bananas, half a bag of
potato chips, and half a jar of refrigerator pickles, love those
things. For dinner I had a ham and swiss loraine sandwich on toasted
rye with Guldens. Some days I just don't feel like kitchen work. I
have a package of Chips Ahoy for later. A real nutritious day... well
I did have two bananas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> Would you mind terribly e-mailing me in private about these? I'll take
> whatever I can be taught, especially being able to exercise undetected
> at work!

You've never heard of Kegel exercises?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Sycophant wrote:
>
>> Would you mind terribly e-mailing me in private about these? I'll take
>> whatever I can be taught, especially being able to exercise undetected
>> at work!

If you have a job where you sit down a lot, there is a peddler machine
that is perfect for using. I own two of them. One for work, and the
other for home when I'm vegging on the couch or reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYSE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/2/2011 10:32 PM, Omelet wrote:

>> If you have a job where you sit down a lot, there is a peddler machine
>> that is perfect for using. I own two of them. One for work, and the
>> other for home when I'm vegging on the couch or reading.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYSE

> I don't. I'm a generalist so am constantly moving from area to area.
> I sit down at the Microscope for minutes at a time, then move on to
> something else.
>
> Thanks anyway!

Then it sounds like you get plenty of exercise at work already.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

om,

i just assumed you knew/were doing these bcause of your pt, talk to pt and
chyro also, Lee

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> James Post > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:33:08 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I have a similar situation with asthma. Years ago, I would try to
>> >exercise with a video or tv program, and I would be out of breath
>> >within 5 minutes, and if I kept going, it would set off an asthma
>> >attack. So, I never did anything really energetic. One day, I watched
>> >the right video and it clicked. Modify the exercise to your own level.
>> >Do not try to keep up with the person on the video. Lower you level,
>> >but keep moving. So, when I was doing stair stepping, I would simply
>> >march in place when I felt my breathing starting to go too fast. Then
>> >back to stairs when it was good. I also used a lower step at first,
>> >and didn't wave my arms very much. I found that by modifying the
>> >routine to my level, I could do a 30-40 minute routine and not get out
>> >of breath. Breathing a bit hard yes, but not out of control.
>> >
>> >It should be the same with blood pressure or other types of problems.
>> >Modify the exercise to keep it below the required threshold. Increase
>> >activity level as your abilities improve.

>> Isometric exercises are an excellent way to maintain and improve
>> muscle tone also. You may want to investigate Isometric exercises and
>> try to fit several of them into your daily activities. They can be
>> done anywhere. After you get good at them, you can do them in many
>> places where you would normally just be sitting or standing still. No
>> one around you can tell you're doing them, and they are an excellent
>> method of toning. They also help burn a lot more calories each day.
>> They can be as intense as to make you sweat profusely or as calm as
>> meditation, depending on the situation, where you are and the goal of
>> the particular Isometric exercise you're doing. They are great for the
>> elderly, once they are fully understood. Several "classroom" training
>> secessions are better to start with before letting a newbie to it go
>> on their own. Too forceful, too soon, and you can cause yourself some
>> pain. This type of exercise moves muscles much differently then
>> traditional exercises.

> Would you mind terribly e-mailing me in private about these? I'll take
> whatever I can be taught, especially being able to exercise undetected
> at work!
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:39:51 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> For four ears of corn or less nothing beats the microwave for speed,
>>> and no flavor is lost to boiling water. For flavor I prefer grilling
>>> but it doesn't pay to light a grill for a small quantity of corn. My
>>> microwave is more than 25 years old so it's not as powerful as the
>>> newer models but still it needs only 3-4 minutes per ear, depending on
>>> size. I also use the microwave to cook 1-2 spuds in jackets, I know
>>> they are not baked but I'm not going to light an oven for 1-2
>>> potatoes.

>> Especially when it is hot out. Yes, I switched to cooking corn in
>> the microwave some years ago. And I will confess that I usually
>> nuke those potatoes, also with the understanding that they are not
>> baked. I really HATE heating up the house with the wall oven or
>> even the somewhat smaller convection oven, especially when I am
>> struggling to keep the house cool. It also seems like a waste of
>> electricity to bake something so small for so long.

> Sometimes I'd really prefer fried potatoes but with the microwave
> there's no pan to wash. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't put me out
> much if I had to live with only two kitchen appliances, a microwave
> oven and a fridge. I got through the entire day today cooking
> nothing, oh, add my ADC, I cooked coffee, well, I pushed a button. Let
> me think what I ate today; for lunch I ate two bananas, half a bag of
> potato chips, and half a jar of refrigerator pickles, love those
> things. For dinner I had a ham and swiss loraine sandwich on toasted
> rye with Guldens. Some days I just don't feel like kitchen work. I
> have a package of Chips Ahoy for later. A real nutritious day... well
> I did have two bananas.

That's a lot of pickles. Hmmm. I guess I only used the microwave
and the coffeemaker. I did make cookie dough but decided it
needed to be chilled. whether or not I bake any tomorrow depends
on how hot it is. As I said, I hate heating the house in hot weather.

I do have a lot more latitude with food now, so I am spending a
lot of time looking for ideas and thinking up what seem to be
interesting combinations. E.g., last night I was thinking about
PB cookies with a bit of an Asian flavor, and maybe some "heat".
Hey, folks do it with chocolate, so why not peanut butter?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Sycophant wrote:
>
>> Would you mind terribly e-mailing me in private about these? I'll
>> take whatever I can be taught, especially being able to exercise
>> undetected at work!

> You've never heard of Kegel exercises?

Oh dear gawd!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 22:58:36 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/2/2011 10:32 PM, Omelet wrote:

>>> If you have a job where you sit down a lot, there is a peddler machine
>>> that is perfect for using. I own two of them. One for work, and the
>>> other for home when I'm vegging on the couch or reading.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYSE

>> I don't. I'm a generalist so am constantly moving from area to area.
>> I sit down at the Microscope for minutes at a time, then move on to
>> something else.
>>
>> Thanks anyway!

>Then it sounds like you get plenty of exercise at work already.

I am on my feet all day, moving too, which is why I hate exercising
at home afteerward. My doctor suggests a walk during lunch, but that
is my only chance to sit. Lately, I have been trying to do some extra
exercise at work during the slow times.For example, while standing at
the counter waiting for a customer to order something, I will tighten
my abs and hold it it for as long as I can. I am still breathing
normally, just tightening my muscles to give them work.

I just looked at some links for isometric exercises. It i snot
recommended for people with high blood pressure, so I will have to ask
my doctor about it. Right now, I am not doing that much, so I should
be okay this amount. But I will do some more checking of things as I
would like to be more active.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Especially when it is hot out. Yes, I switched to cooking corn in
>>> the microwave some years ago. And I will confess that I usually
>>> nuke those potatoes, also with the understanding that they are not
>>> baked. I really HATE heating up the house with the wall oven or
>>> even the somewhat smaller convection oven, especially when I am
>>> struggling to keep the house cool. It also seems like a waste of
>>> electricity to bake something so small for so long.

>> Sometimes I'd really prefer fried potatoes but with the microwave
>> there's no pan to wash. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't put me out
>> much if I had to live with only two kitchen appliances, a microwave
>> oven and a fridge. I got through the entire day today cooking
>> nothing, oh, add my ADC, I cooked coffee, well, I pushed a button. Let
>> me think what I ate today; for lunch I ate two bananas, half a bag of
>> potato chips, and half a jar of refrigerator pickles, love those
>> things. For dinner I had a ham and swiss loraine sandwich on toasted
>> rye with Guldens. Some days I just don't feel like kitchen work. I
>> have a package of Chips Ahoy for later. A real nutritious day... well
>> I did have two bananas.

>That's a lot of pickles.

Claussen small half sours... coulda kept going and ate the entire jar
but was able to control myself. They were on sale, two jars for $3, I
thought I was doing good to buy only one. They're really not
unhealthy, cucumbers contain no fat/sugar, and the half sours are not
very salty, and even though I was tempted to drink the juice I didn't.
Had the cukes been coming in from my garden I would have stuffed them
into that jar but instead with remorse I poured that garlicky nectar
down the drain.

>Hmmm. I guess I only used the microwave
>and the coffeemaker. I did make cookie dough but decided it
>needed to be chilled. whether or not I bake any tomorrow depends
>on how hot it is. As I said, I hate heating the house in hot weather.
>
>I do have a lot more latitude with food now, so I am spending a
>lot of time looking for ideas and thinking up what seem to be
>interesting combinations. E.g., last night I was thinking about
>PB cookies with a bit of an Asian flavor, and maybe some "heat".

I like Asian flavored peanut sauce with noodles, in fact since I just
bought a large jar of Smuckers natural PB I should make some. I wish
they'd leave a little head room in those jars to make it easier to
blend back the oil... anyone have a good way without making a mess? I
used a boning knife, slow going but I didn't spill a drop.

>Hey, folks do it with chocolate, so why not peanut butter?

I'm positive I can figure out a way for us to do it with Reese's
Pieces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Claussen small half sours... coulda kept going and ate the entire jar
> but was able to control myself. They were on sale, two jars for $3, I
> thought I was doing good to buy only one. They're really not
> unhealthy, cucumbers contain no fat/sugar, and the half sours are not
> very salty, and even though I was tempted to drink the juice I didn't.
> Had the cukes been coming in from my garden I would have stuffed them
> into that jar but instead with remorse I poured that garlicky nectar
> down the drain.

As you say, they are not unhealthy. Actually, this reminds me of
buying enormous pickles (for all of 5 cents, IIRC) on my way home
from school. Hmmm. I may just have to have a hot dog with a
pickle substance (not sure which; dill relish is hard to find, so
it may well be hot Italian giardiniera relish) and mustard. Hmm.
Good idea!

> I like Asian flavored peanut sauce with noodles, in fact since I just
> bought a large jar of Smuckers natural PB I should make some. I wish
> they'd leave a little head room in those jars to make it easier to
> blend back the oil... anyone have a good way without making a mess? I
> used a boning knife, slow going but I didn't spill a drop.

I do it pretty much the same way--and then refrigerate it so it
stays mixed. I did read long ago about storing the jars upside
down, so when you mix it, the sloppy oil is not at the top, but I
don't think that helps the process a lot. Yesterday
(unfortunately) I did buy some more normal but sugar- and
salt-free PB to make cookies because the natural PB is not
supposed to work as well. That stuff is pretty wretched.

BTW, my first thought re odd PB cookies was something like a satay
sauce flavor. I'll see how the LC batch of dough works first. I
made it last night but decided to chill it because it was rather
loose.

>> Hey, folks do it with chocolate, so why not peanut butter?

> I'm positive I can figure out a way for us to do it with Reese's
> Pieces.

LOL! I KNEW you would pick up on that.
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:40:59 -0400, James Post wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:37:20 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 01:07:14 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>>> Sqwertz replied:

>>> Must be something I put in my killfile, then. Oh well. Am I missing much?
>>>
>>> Bob

>>no. well, unless you're a connoisseur of stupid.
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> Damn Flake, I liked you better when you were talking about sucking
> cocks. At least your mouth was full.

when have i talked about sucking cocks? that's your and sheldon's thing,
not mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 11:10*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> >> That was a very poor try dear!

> > Aren't you a nurse, Om? *Would you say this woman has M nchausen
> > syndrome? *Near as I can tell, there's not a single instance of
> > ANYTHING this woman does not suffer an adverse reaction from other
> > than, apparently, sniveling and typing. *

> WTF? *I am getting sick of the rude people here! *I certainly do not have
> that.

Honey you set yourself for all of these comments. You complain about
everything that's wrong with you, about what a boor your husband is
and what a spoiled brat your daughter is. You reject every suggestion
made to you. I don't know what exactly is wrong with you I'm not
qualified to make a diagnosis. But it is clear there is SOMETHING
psychologically wrong with you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 12:21*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Julie wrote:
> > I am also prone to ear infections because of the diabetes. Ear infections
> > of the fungal type.

> That's a new one on me; I'd never heard that diabetes makes people more
> susceptible to fungal infections. Is that why diabetics are supposed to
> examine their feet all the time, to see if athlete's foot is gaining a
> toehold?
>
> Bob

no, that's actually true. Some fungi (specifically yeast, for example)
thrive on sugar. Diabetics who can't control their blood sugar have
too much sugar... the yeast prolifierate... voila, yeast infection.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2011-06-29, Omelet > wrote:
>
>> That was a very poor try dear!

> Aren't you a nurse, Om? Would you say this woman
> has Münchausen
> syndrome? Near as I can tell, there's not a single
> instance of
> ANYTHING this woman does not suffer an adverse
> reaction from other
> than, apparently, sniveling and typing.
>
> nb

No, she is NOT a nurse. She used to be a lab
technicion. She had this illusion that she knew
more than the nurses and was always second guessing
them. Then she found the keys to the narcotics
lockers. It's all been downhill from there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i meant talk to chyro about the i/m i know you have a lot of home type
chores, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> om,
>>
>> i just assumed you knew/were doing these bcause of your pt, talk to pt
>> and
>> chyro also, Lee

> Those can always be done at home, but I sometimes come home from work
> exhausted and still have house cleaning to do, along with cooking and
> taking care of the pets.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/3/2011 4:26 PM, Andy wrote:

> Name chage?!?
>
> You stupid bitch!
>
> Little bitch!
>
> Your such a **** up!

To whom are you asking?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> If you have a job where you sit down a lot, there is a peddler machine
>> that is perfect for using. I own two of them. One for work, and the
>> other for home when I'm vegging on the couch or reading.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VWJYSE

>I don't. I'm a generalist so am constantly moving from area to area.
>I sit down at the Microscope for minutes at a time, then move on to
>something else.
>
>Thanks anyway!

Try this to exercise at work, this little gizmo is pretty discreet...
under a loose skirt it can build certain other muscles as well:
http://www.tackytreasures.com/top/markeden.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 12:45:17 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:40:59 -0400, James Post wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:37:20 -0400, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>>no. well, unless you're a connoisseur of stupid.
>>>
>>>your pal,
>>>blake

>> Damn Flake, I liked you better when you were talking about sucking
>> cocks. At least your mouth was full.

>when have i talked about sucking cocks?

When it was heard how you consider that a waste because you derive oh
so much more pleasure being corn holed... wouldn't that belong on the
creamed corn thread? hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message

<great big snip>.

> I like Asian flavored peanut sauce with noodles, in fact since I just
> bought a large jar of Smuckers natural PB I should make some. I wish
> they'd leave a little head room in those jars to make it easier to
> blend back the oil... anyone have a good way without making a mess? I
> used a boning knife, slow going but I didn't spill a drop.

Sheldon, I finally had a light bulb go off in my old head one day, and used
an iced tea spoon to mix my Smucker's with. The handle is long enough that
I still have plenty left to get a good grip. It works great for me.

Boli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bolivar wrote:

> Sheldon, I finally had a light bulb go off in my
> old head one day,
> and used an iced tea spoon to mix my Smucker's
> with. The handle is
> long enough that I still have plenty left to get a
> good grip. It
> works great for me.
> Boli

Turn the jar upside down a day or so before you open
it the first time. Store it that way, with the top
on of coarse. Much less mixing and much less mess
with the mixing you wil do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 01:30:02 -0400, "bolivar" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

> <great big snip>.
>
>> I like Asian flavored peanut sauce with noodles, in fact since I just
>> bought a large jar of Smuckers natural PB I should make some. I wish
>> they'd leave a little head room in those jars to make it easier to
>> blend back the oil... anyone have a good way without making a mess? I
>> used a boning knife, slow going but I didn't spill a drop.
>>

>Sheldon, I finally had a light bulb go off in my old head one day, and used
>an iced tea spoon to mix my Smucker's with. The handle is long enough that
>I still have plenty left to get a good grip. It works great for me.

I tried a long ice cream soda spoon but the bowl of the spoon offered
too much resistance to the thick solids at the bottom and its handle
threatened to bend, that's why a chose a sturdy non-flexible boning
knife, which of course has a hefty handle. I think once I got it
initially blended with a knife then a spoon would work well to finish
the job, but at the onset the peanut solids are too stiff. I still
think that with this style of peanut butter the jar should be filled
leaving about 3/4" of head room instead of that measly 1/4". The jar
I bought indicates a net weight of 26 ounces, the jar being 6' tall
means it contains about two ounces per half inch, I see no reason it
couldn't contain two ounces less, that would give about 3/4" head
room... or if they didn't want to mess with the contents and/or
pricing then they could redesign the jar, make it a 1/2" taller, or
better make it wider... I think a more squat jar is better for thick
substances like peanut butter, one shouldn't have to reach down so far
to scoop. I think there are a lot of products that would be much
easier to serve from a squat jar, quart jars of mayo come to mind, jam
jars too, and why do they need to have so narrow an opening with that
large shoulder... the old fashioned preserves/jelly jars with the
straight sides and wide opening made it much easier to access the
product.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 7:49*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:
>
> > With a time limit of 20 minutes, I'd think one would be at great advantage
> > if they knew how to PROPERLY cook with a microwave. I've gotten better at
> > it but I do admit there are a few things that cannot be cooked in them,
> > but damned few, mostly involving meats other than poultry and some cuts of
> > pork.

> This might be interesting grounds for discussion.
>
> 1. What foods cook especially well in the microwave?
>
> 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?
>
> Here are some of my observations. Note that these apply to *cooking* the
> food rather than *reheating* it:
>
> MICROWAVE GOOD: Many cereals: grits, rice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat;
> polenta, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed puddings, and shrimp
>
> MICROWAVE BAD: bread, chicken, beef, pork, whole eggs

I agree, except I'd put the shrimp into the BAD category, and extend
the "whole eggs" to all raw eggs.

> Bob

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:10:13 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 12:45:17 -0400, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:40:59 -0400, James Post wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:37:20 -0400, blake murphy

>>> Damn Flake, I liked you better when you were talking about sucking
>>> cocks. At least your mouth was full.

>>when have i talked about sucking cocks?

> When it was heard how you consider that a waste because you derive oh
> so much more pleasure being corn holed... wouldn't that belong on the
> creamed corn thread? hehe

no. it's you who continually talks about buttsex and cocksucking, not me.
you think people here don't notice that?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 15:26:41 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Name chage?!?
>
> You stupid bitch!
>
> Little bitch!
>
> Your such a **** up!
>
> Andy

who are you talking to, andy?

have another drink, maybe the voices in your head will subside.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 02:03:35 -0400, "John Smythe"
> wrote:

>bolivar wrote:
>>
>> Sheldon, I finally had a light bulb go off in my
>> old head one day,
>> and used an iced tea spoon to mix my Smucker's
>> with. The handle is
>> long enough that I still have plenty left to get a
>> good grip. It
>> works great for me.
>> Boli

>Turn the jar upside down a day or so before you open
>it the first time. Store it that way, with the top
>on of coarse. Much less mixing and much less mess
>with the mixing you wil do.

I thought about doing exactly that but it made no sense to me... I'd
think that would be messier; the air space would now be at the bottom
with no space whatsoever at the lid, and with the solids adhering to
the lid there'd be a mess before ever doing more than removing the
lid. And as soon as the solids are pierced and pressure is exerted on
the solids the oil would erupt with nowhere to go but to overflow. I
was able to blend it with a boning knife without spilling a drop and
it is in my fridge in a normal position with lid up... it's been a
couple of weeks and I see no separation... only thing is that now the
jar is nearly half empty. LOL
Only a pinheaded manufacturing engineer would design a container for a
product that needs to be mixed without accomodating mixing room. This
type of product should probably be packaged in something like a
kneadable clear toothpaste tube... only larger... something like a
crystal clear designer douchebag! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 4, 7:19 am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 22, 7:49 pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
> wrote:
>

> > Sycophant wrote about microwave ovens:

> > > With a time limit of 20 minutes, I'd think one would be at great advantage
> > > if they knew how to PROPERLY cook with a microwave. I've gotten better at
> > > it but I do admit there are a few things that cannot be cooked in them,
> > > but damned few, mostly involving meats other than poultry and some cuts of
> > > pork.

> > This might be interesting grounds for discussion.

> > 1. What foods cook especially well in the microwave?

> > 2. What foods should *not* be put into the microwave?

> > Here are some of my observations. Note that these apply to *cooking* the
> > food rather than *reheating* it:

> > MICROWAVE GOOD: Many cereals: grits, rice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat;
> > polenta, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed puddings, and shrimp

> > MICROWAVE BAD: bread, chicken, beef, pork, whole eggs

> I agree, except I'd put the shrimp into the BAD category, and extend
> the "whole eggs" to all raw eggs.

I'd use a third category besides Good and Bad, namely Irrelevant, for
all those thiings which are so easily and quickly cooked by
conventional means that the microwave doesn't even enter the picture.
I'd put both shrimp and eggs in that category. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boli wrote:

>> bought a large jar of Smuckers natural PB I should make some. I wish
>> they'd leave a little head room in those jars to make it easier to
>> blend back the oil... anyone have a good way without making a mess? I
>> used a boning knife, slow going but I didn't spill a drop.
>>

> Sheldon, I finally had a light bulb go off in my old head one day, and
> used an iced tea spoon to mix my Smucker's with. The handle is long
> enough that I still have plenty left to get a good grip. It works great
> for me.

A chopstick works well for me.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem:

>>> MICROWAVE GOOD: Many cereals: grits, rice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat;
>>> polenta, broccoli, cauliflower, steamed puddings, and shrimp

>>> MICROWAVE BAD: bread, chicken, beef, pork, whole eggs

>> I agree, except I'd put the shrimp into the BAD category, and extend
>> the "whole eggs" to all raw eggs.

> I'd use a third category besides Good and Bad, namely Irrelevant, for
> all those thiings which are so easily and quickly cooked by
> conventional means that the microwave doesn't even enter the picture.
> I'd put both shrimp and eggs in that category. -aem

One of the reasons I started this thread was to address the situation where
a microwave is the only cooking method available, e.g., if you're in a hotel
room.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

we have a nuker and a two burner, as good as we are with the nuker, its
difficult.

bread, ten secs on thirty percdent power, things like that work, but the
shrimp is also a no for us,

Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> aem:

>>> I agree, except I'd put the shrimp into the BAD category, and extend
>>> the "whole eggs" to all raw eggs.

>> I'd use a third category besides Good and Bad, namely Irrelevant, for
>> all those thiings which are so easily and quickly cooked by
>> conventional means that the microwave doesn't even enter the picture.
>> I'd put both shrimp and eggs in that category. -aem

> One of the reasons I started this thread was to address the situation
> where
> a microwave is the only cooking method available, e.g., if you're in a
> hotel
> room.
>
> Bob

Canadian Chopped Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 54 14-05-2014 11:06 PM
chopped and minced sf[_9_] General Cooking 29 14-12-2013 05:40 PM
chopped champion big fish General Cooking 20 04-10-2011 11:48 PM
Chopped ImStillMags General Cooking 51 19-03-2011 04:51 AM
A Chopped Salad Curly Sue General Cooking 39 18-11-2003 01:50 PM