Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Tonight's yummy dinner.

I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
make. I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. Makes a great
vegetable side with not a lot of work.

On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. I
got a nice piece for dinner.

Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
from half a lime. That was it. It didn't need anything else.

The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

It was yummmmmmmy.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...95112277014882
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
> fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
> vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
> make. I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
> some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. Makes a great
> vegetable side with not a lot of work.

I don't understand why you'd blanch vegetables and cook differently
later when steaming them just takes a couple of minutes and you can
tell what you're eating afterwards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > wrote:
>
>> I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
>> fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
>> vegetables for a weeknight meal

> I don't understand why you'd blanch vegetables and cook differently
> later when steaming them just takes a couple of minutes and you can
> tell what you're eating afterwards.

It stabilizes the vegetable so it doesn't go all nasty before you get to it.
I do it often. As to the prep, do I want to eat steamed vegetables every
night? Nope. Nor do I want to eat them sauteed in butter every night
either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 2:07*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > > wrote:

> >> I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
> >> fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
> >> vegetables for a weeknight meal

> > I don't understand why you'd blanch vegetables and cook differently
> > later when steaming them just takes a couple of minutes and you can
> > tell what you're eating afterwards.

Blanching them quickly in salted water and shocking them in cold water
keeps the vegetables
in a state of a sort of suspended animation for three or four days.
They are quite firm and crispy.
In no way mushy or tasteless. You can use them how ever you wish
with no loss of flavor or
texture.

> It stabilizes the vegetable so it doesn't go all nasty before you get to it.
> I do it often. *As to the prep, do I want to eat steamed vegetables every
> night? *Nope. *Nor do I want to eat them sauteed in butter every night
> either.

I don't saute them EVERY night. Sorry if I made it sound that way.
And I don't always make a medly either. I just happened to do it
with this meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

>> I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
>> fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
>> vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
>> make. I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
>> some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. Makes a great
>> vegetable side with not a lot of work.

>I don't understand why you'd blanch vegetables and cook differently
>later when steaming them just takes a couple of minutes and you can
>tell what you're eating afterwards.

Yeah really this sounds like an awful thing to do to perfectly good
vegetables.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 12:14*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> >On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >> I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
> >> fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
> >> vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
> >> make. * I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
> >> some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. *Makes a great
> >> vegetable side with not a lot of work.

> >I don't understand why you'd blanch vegetables and cook differently
> >later when steaming them just takes a couple of minutes and you can
> >tell what you're eating afterwards.

> Yeah really this sounds like an awful thing to do to perfectly good
> vegetables.
>
> Steve

The really awful thing to do to perfectly good vegetables is to let
them sit in the refrigerator and rot or dry out.
Blanching 'freezes' the vegetable in a state of suspended animation
and allows you to finish the cooking or use of it
at a more convenient time during the week.

Blanching allows you to bring the vegetable to a perfect point of
crisp while retaining the beautiful bright color. And it
stays that way for days, till you use it in whatever dish you want to
make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>On Jun 14, 12:14*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Yeah really this sounds like an awful thing to do to perfectly good
>> vegetables.

>The really awful thing to do to perfectly good vegetables is to let
>them sit in the refrigerator and rot or dry out.
>Blanching 'freezes' the vegetable in a state of suspended animation
>and allows you to finish the cooking or use of it
>at a more convenient time during the week.
>
>Blanching allows you to bring the vegetable to a perfect point of
>crisp while retaining the beautiful bright color. And it
>stays that way for days, till you use it in whatever dish you want to
>make.

I am highly skeptical that, for example a fresh carrot that has
been blanched and placed in a refrigerator for five days is in
any better condition than the same carrot simply refrigerated for
five days. Highly highly skeptical. I suppose I could try this
as an experiment, before flat-out disagreeing with you.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> ImStillMags > wrote:

>>Blanching allows you to bring the vegetable to a perfect point of
>>crisp while retaining the beautiful bright color. And it
>>stays that way for days, till you use it in whatever dish you want to
>>make.

> I am highly skeptical that, for example a fresh carrot that has
> been blanched and placed in a refrigerator for five days is in
> any better condition than the same carrot simply refrigerated for
> five days. Highly highly skeptical. I suppose I could try this
> as an experiment, before flat-out disagreeing with you.

Nor do I do it to carrots, but greens, broccoli, etc. Absolutely. Didn't
you see that in Italian supermarkets you can by already blanched greens at
the deli counter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 12:57*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
> >On Jun 14, 12:14 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> >> Yeah really this sounds like an awful thing to do to perfectly good
> >> vegetables.

> >The really awful thing to do to perfectly good vegetables is to let
> >them sit in the refrigerator and rot or dry out.
> >Blanching 'freezes' the vegetable in a state of suspended animation
> >and allows you to finish the cooking or use of it
> >at a more convenient time during the week.

> >Blanching allows you to bring the vegetable to a perfect point of
> >crisp while retaining the beautiful bright color. * And it
> >stays that way for days, till you use it in whatever dish you want to
> >make.

> I am highly skeptical that, for example a fresh carrot that has
> been blanched and placed in a refrigerator for five days is in
> any better condition than the same carrot simply refrigerated for
> five days. *Highly highly skeptical. *I suppose I could try this
> as an experiment, before flat-out disagreeing with you.
>
> Steve

Well, for one thing you normally do NOT blanch carrots. You blanch
green beans, cauliflower, asparagus, ...vegetables that are
usually served crisp-tender. Carrots and root vegetables keep
without blanching.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 3:36*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> >On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:41:46 +0000 (UTC),

> >> Doesn't blanched mean something like parboiled, or does it mean
> >> something else?

> >Throw your vegetables into boiling water, take them out when the water
> >comes back to the boil, shock them in a big bowl of ice water. *I
> >don't eat the same vegetable twice in a week, so I'd rather just cook
> >it the way I want and not go through the trouble of blanching first
> >and holding for later.

> Thanks.
>
> I can see where this *might* help something such as chard be
> in better shape in a few days than it might otherwise have been.
> So I'll reserve judgement on it. But I'm not sure I'll run right
> out and try it.
>
> Steve

I wouldn't blanch chard...or spinach or kale, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 3:36*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

I have a 'cooking tip' on my website about blanching vegetables.

I find it very useful, for my lifestyle at the moment. Some
do ...some don't.

http://www.hizzoners.com/cooking-tip...nch-vegetables
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
>fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
>vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
>make. I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
>some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. Makes a great
>vegetable side with not a lot of work.
>
>On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
>something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. I
>got a nice piece for dinner.
>
>Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
>from half a lime. That was it. It didn't need anything else.
>
>The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
>asparagus and cherry tomatoes.
>
>It was yummmmmmmy.....
>
>https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...95112277014882

If you are going to do that why don't you just get frozen vegetables?
They are already cut and blanched.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
>fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
>vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
>make. I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
>some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. Makes a great
>vegetable side with not a lot of work.
>
>On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
>something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. I
>got a nice piece for dinner.
>
>Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
>from half a lime. That was it. It didn't need anything else.
>
>The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
>asparagus and cherry tomatoes.
>
>It was yummmmmmmy.....
>
>https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...95112277014882

Looks like it was delicious.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 4:41*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
> >fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
> >vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
> >make. * I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
> >some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. *Makes a great
> >vegetable side with not a lot of work.

> >On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
> >something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. * I
> >got a nice piece for dinner.

> >Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
> >from half a lime. *That was it. *It didn't need anything else.

> >The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
> >asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

> >It was yummmmmmmy.....

> >https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...nWitch#5617895...

> If you are going to do that why don't you just get frozen vegetables?
> They are already cut and blanched.
> Janet US

The texture of frozen vegetables is mushy when you cook them.
Blanched vegetables don't need a lot of further cooking, just tossing
with your seasonings and some olive oil or butter till they are hot
through. In my experience, frozen vegetables loose a lot of flavor
simply from being frozen. Blanched vegetables retain their flavor as
well as bright color and crisp tender texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 5:07*pm, wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
> >fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
> >vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
> >make. * I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
> >some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. *Makes a great
> >vegetable side with not a lot of work.

> >On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
> >something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. * I
> >got a nice piece for dinner.

> >Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
> >from half a lime. *That was it. *It didn't need anything else.

> >The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
> >asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

> >It was yummmmmmmy.....

> >https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...nWitch#5617895...

> Looks like it was delicious.
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com* *
>
> Natural Watkins Spiceswww.apinchofspices.com

Thanks....it was. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 7:36 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jun 14, 4:41 pm, Janet > wrote:

>> If you are going to do that why don't you just get frozen vegetables?
>> They are already cut and blanched.
>> Janet US

> The texture of frozen vegetables is mushy when you cook them.
> Blanched vegetables don't need a lot of further cooking, just tossing
> with your seasonings and some olive oil or butter till they are hot
> through. In my experience, frozen vegetables loose a lot of flavor
> simply from being frozen. Blanched vegetables retain their flavor as
> well as bright color and crisp tender texture.

There really is a world of difference. Try lightly blanched and chilled
broccoli with your favorite salad dressing. Delicious.
Ditto asparagus.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:36:02 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jun 14, 4:41*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >I usually blanch fresh vegetables on the weekend and keep them in the
>> >fridge so that I can just cook or saute a protein and some of the
>> >vegetables for a weeknight meal...that doesn't take much time to
>> >make. * I like to cut them up and saute them with a pat of butter,
>> >some Nature's Seasons and some cherry tomatoes. *Makes a great
>> >vegetable side with not a lot of work.

>> >On the way home tonight I needed to stop at the grocery store for
>> >something and I spied some of that gorgeous Copper River Salmon. * I
>> >got a nice piece for dinner.

>> >Sauteed the salmon in a pat of butter and finished it with the juice
>> >from half a lime. *That was it. *It didn't need anything else.

>> >The vegetable side includes, green beans, zucchini, cauliflower,
>> >asparagus and cherry tomatoes.

>> >It was yummmmmmmy.....

>> >https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...nWitch#5617895...

>> If you are going to do that why don't you just get frozen vegetables?
>> They are already cut and blanched.
>> Janet US

>The texture of frozen vegetables is mushy when you cook them.
>Blanched vegetables don't need a lot of further cooking, just tossing
>with your seasonings and some olive oil or butter till they are hot
>through. In my experience, frozen vegetables loose a lot of flavor
>simply from being frozen. Blanched vegetables retain their flavor as
>well as bright color and crisp tender texture.

I understand blanched vegetables. . .to me what you are eating in this
case is leftovers. I'm sure it's just old fashioned of me. To me,
flavor and nutrients are lost when vegetables and fruits are left
around after being cut/peeled.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 14, 7:23*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:36:02 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jun 14, 4:41*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:29:20 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

> >> If you are going to do that why don't you just get frozen vegetables?
> >> They are already cut and blanched.
> >> Janet US

> >The texture of frozen vegetables is mushy when you cook them.
> >Blanched vegetables don't need a lot of further cooking, just tossing
> >with your seasonings and some olive oil or butter till they are hot
> >through. *In my experience, frozen vegetables loose a lot of flavor
> >simply from being frozen. * Blanched vegetables retain their flavor as
> >well as bright color and crisp tender texture.

> I understand blanched vegetables. . .to me what you are eating in this
> case is leftovers. *I'm sure it's just old fashioned of me. *To me,
> flavor and nutrients are lost when vegetables and fruits are left
> around after being cut/peeled. *
> Janet US *

I guess you can call them leftovers if you like. I call them
convenient and delicious. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

beyond the saving of the vegetables, in a general sort of don't want to
waste way, it really helps when you score an extra great savings and you
know you have more than you can possibly eat in the first three or so days,
i find it a very frugal thing to do, both in money savings, time savings,
and reducing waste, Lee