Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Creamed Cornbread

After last week's discussions about a recipe posted by someone called
kozzak, I shopped for ingredients for a recipe I found online. Here's
my adaptation (minor) of the one I found; pictures and details are on my
website, like in sig line below.

Creamed Cornbread

Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-cornbread-108030
Serving Size: 16

1 14-16 ounce can cream style corn (Did you know that a 16-ounce can of
vegetables now weighs 14.75 ounces?* Harrumpphh!)
1 14-16 can whole kernel corn
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream (Daisy brand is real sour cream ‹ look at
the ingredients on it and compare them to what¹s in most other brands.)
2 eggs, beaten
1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix

Mix ingredients and add dry Jiffy mix last.

Spray 9x13 inch pan with a cooking spray. (I used a 9" square pan; the
9x13 inch pan just sounded too big to me.)

Bake 350° F. for 45-50 minutes.

I put it together in a 2-quart Pyrex mixing pitcher, poured it into a
sprayed 9" square pan and baked it, uncovered, for a total of about 50
minutes, I think.* At 30 minutes, the middle was still way wet; at 45
minutes it was just about right, I guess.* Having never had it before, I
was only guessing at how I would deem it done.*

I like it.
--
Barb,
Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:13:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>After last week's discussions about a recipe posted by someone called
>kozzak, I shopped for ingredients for a recipe I found online. Here's
>my adaptation (minor) of the one I found; pictures and details are on my
>website, like in sig line below.
>
>Creamed Cornbread
>
>Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-cornbread-108030
>Serving Size: 16
>
>1 14-16 ounce can cream style corn (Did you know that a 16-ounce can of
>vegetables now weighs 14.75 ounces?* Harrumpphh!)
>1 14-16 can whole kernel corn
>1/2 cup butter, melted
>1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream (Daisy brand is real sour cream ‹ look at
>the ingredients on it and compare them to what¹s in most other brands.)
>2 eggs, beaten
>1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix

Was it similar to the tomalito you mentioned?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:32:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Sounds like a combination of scalloped corn and cornbread. I'd rather
> just have scalloped corn.... ;-)

I tried doing something like that a couple of years ago and though it
was cooked through, it was still too wet for me. Haven't been tempted
to try it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:13:26 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >After last week's discussions about a recipe posted by someone called
> >kozzak, I shopped for ingredients for a recipe I found online. Here's
> >my adaptation (minor) of the one I found; pictures and details are on my
> >website, like in sig line below.
> >
> >Creamed Cornbread
> >
> >Adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/creamed-cornbread-108030
> >Serving Size: 16
> >
> >1 14-16 ounce can cream style corn (Did you know that a 16-ounce can of
> >vegetables now weighs 14.75 ounces?* Harrumpphh!)
> >1 14-16 can whole kernel corn
> >1/2 cup butter, melted
> >1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream (Daisy brand is real sour cream ‹ look at
> >the ingredients on it and compare them to what¹s in most other brands.)
> >2 eggs, beaten
> >1 package Jiffy corn muffin mix
> >

> Was it similar to the tomalito you mentioned?
>
> Tara

Not as I recall the tomalito ‹ which is much softer. A rather similar
flavor, though.
--
Barb,
Creamed Cornbread, June 13, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Try this copy cat recipe it is very close to the original.
http://www.food.com/recipe/chi-chis-...copycat-156352

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:49:24 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Tara > wrote:
>

>> Was it similar to the tomalito you mentioned?
>>

>Not as I recall the tomalito ‹ which is much softer. A rather similar
>flavor, though.

Got it. The recipe I follow leaves out the eggs. It's so rich that
I only make it for holidays. It goes very well with ham or turkey.
It makes enough to feed a crowd, plus it makes tasty leftovers.

Tara