Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default grating ginger - any tips?

I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
'threads'.

Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
grater. Even mincing it is a pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote in news:005484a5-32cb-4fb6-a332-
:

> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

I use a microplane, and it seems to be the best.

http://www.spicelines.com/2007/05/to...ow_to_grat.htm

The microplanes........

I have one of these......

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au...spx?id=1554773

and one of these.........

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au...spx?id=1580758

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>'threads'.
>
>Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

Yes, a microplane is best.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/06/2011 7:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>> 'threads'.
>>
>> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

> Yes, a microplane is best.

It can take a while, but the microplane does does do a great job on ginger.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-12, Kalmia > wrote:

> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

I never grate it. I cut a "medallion" and then smash it with an
chrome 8lb dumbell. I imagine any of those smooth meat
tenderizer/flatteners thingies would do equally well. I then
micro-mince it.

nb

--
vi ...the root of evil

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2011 1:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

You're probably using too fine a grater. I mince mine and it is a pain
but I can do a tablespoon pretty fast. The best part is that I don't
have to wash the ginger off the grater. That's a real drag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2011 5:15 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

It sounds as though you need a sharper grater. Try a fine-toothed
Microplane (tm). They make an amazing difference but be careful of your
knuckles and fingernails when using it!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>'threads'.
>
>Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>'threads'.
>
>Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

Frozen ginger grates very easily. I see no reason to actually measure
ginger... grate how much you want by judging how much remains... you
can't add too much ginger, you really cannot, it's not possible... you
can no more add too much ginger than you can add too much chocolate.
Ginger is not an ingredient like salt where you can add too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

freeze first, in fact store in freezer, Lee

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:14:33 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>>few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>>'threads'.
>>
>>Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>>grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

>Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
>freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
>and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.

I'm with Ross-- But if you just got back from the grocery & it isn't
frozen yet, just be sure you're grating *against* the grain.

I use a microplane or a coarse grater & it works for me. Sharp,
metal ones-- not the plastic one with the bumps on it.

[Chopping it fine isn't real hard- peel with a spoon, slice paper thin
against the grain- stack the slices and chop- turn-chop.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:15:03 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> The best part is that I don't
> have to wash the ginger off the grater. That's a real drag.

I hold mine under the water and maybe take a dish brush to it, but I
was utensils after I use them anyway so it's no more effort than I'd
usually go to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

By finest, are you talking about a microplane or a regular
grater/shredder - not the type you'd grate hard cheese with or what's
sold as a ginger grater? I've never felt the need to use a
microplane. The grater I use for ginger is pictured on the right.
http://oi56.tinypic.com/2vi42mg.jpg It works for me. But since you
had to grate so much ginger and just got juice, it sounds like you had
an older, more fibrous, piece of piece of ginger than what's commonly
stocked in my grocery stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:33:49 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I'm with Ross-- But if you just got back from the grocery & it isn't
> frozen yet, just be sure you're grating *against* the grain.

I'd call it "across" the grain, but yes (it's also easier to hold).
They are called "fingers", so grate as if you're filing a fingernail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
> few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
> 'threads'.
>
> Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
> grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

I use a plane grater with good success <shrugs>. I rub the peeled
part of the toe of ginger briskly on the grater, give it a thwack on the
board to dislodge the ginger pulp and repeat as necessary. Works a
treat AFAICS.
--
Barb,
Fapitas!, June 7, 2011; http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:25:36 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> Keep it in the door of the freezer.

I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2011 6:24 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> Jim > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:14:33 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>>> Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
>>> freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
>>> and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.

>> I'm with Ross-- But if you just got back from the grocery& it isn't
>> frozen yet, just be sure you're grating *against* the grain.
>>
>> I use a microplane or a coarse grater& it works for me. Sharp,
>> metal ones-- not the plastic one with the bumps on it.
>>
>> [Chopping it fine isn't real hard- peel with a spoon, slice paper thin
>> against the grain- stack the slices and chop- turn-chop.]
>>
>> Jim

> Our talented cook and photographer Koko introduced me to this in one of
> her photo outlays. I instantly fell in love with it and bought one for
> myself and one for my sister for Christmas who was equally delighted
> with it. Works better than any other grater I've ever tried for Ginger
> and it does not matter whether or not it's frozen. Plus, it captures
> ALL the juice. Thanks Koko! :-)
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/3ojw8dr>

I have a similar one that is supposed to be used for garlic. It does
work very well with ginger.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Omelet wrote:
>
>> Keep it in the door of the freezer.

>I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
>It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

How big are a couple fingers ginger... you're beginning to sound like
the dwarf... you can always ram that ginger up your ice cold snatch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2011 7:30 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:25:36 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Keep it in the door of the freezer.

>> I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
>> It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

> Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have recommended?
> I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

I have some diced ginger in a jar of sherry in my fridge. it's a small
jar, kind of the size that capers come in. It's been in the fridge for
about 6 months and still adds goodness to stir fries.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/13/2011 7:39 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In raweb.com>,
> Janet > wrote:
>
>>> Our talented cook and photographer Koko introduced me to this in one of
>>> her photo outlays. I instantly fell in love with it and bought one for
>>> myself and one for my sister for Christmas who was equally delighted
>>> with it. Works better than any other grater I've ever tried for Ginger
>>> and it does not matter whether or not it's frozen. Plus, it captures
>>> ALL the juice. Thanks Koko! :-)
>>>
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/3ojw8dr>

>> I have a similar one that is supposed to be used for garlic. It does
>> work very well with ginger.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> I've not tried mine for garlic yet. Thanks for the idea!

You'll love it!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I wanted about a tablespoon of grated ginger. Heck, I had to grate a
>few huge chunks and still got only a lot of juice and a lot of coarse
>'threads'.
>
>Is there an easier way to grate fresh ginger? I used my finest metal
>grater. Even mincing it is a pain.

This is the ginger grater I use. I have the first fish.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...orcgrater.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/3bxaez6

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:30:56 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:25:36 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Keep it in the door of the freezer.

> > I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
> > It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

> Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have recommended?
> I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

No, ginger is too available and inexpensive for me to want to try
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:10:53 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> Keep it in the door of the freezer.

> >I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
> >It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

> How big are a couple fingers ginger... you're beginning to sound like
> the dwarf... you can always ram that ginger up your ice cold snatch.

I can play this game too. You sound like your opinion is viewed
through two fingers of whiskey - with ice, of course.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 1:05 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:30:56 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

>>> I would, but mine doesn't have any space on the door for storage.
>>> It's a bottom mount drawer with a wire basket.

>> Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have recommended?
>> I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

> No, ginger is too available and inexpensive for me to want to try
> that.

It's not so much to store it as it is for flavoring stir fry dishes. I
Generally use garlic, ginger, sherry and low-sodium soy sauce in most of
the stir frys I do so having the ginger in the sherry works well. I
learned about this from a Chinese cooking course taken sometime in the
late 70's.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 9:47 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 6/14/2011 1:05 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:30:56 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have recommended?
>>> I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

>> No, ginger is too available and inexpensive for me to want to try
>> that.
>>

> It's not so much to store it as it is for flavoring stir fry dishes. I
> Generally use garlic, ginger, sherry and low-sodium soy sauce in most of
> the stir frys I do so having the ginger in the sherry works well. I
> learned about this from a Chinese cooking course taken sometime in the
> late 70's.

I might mention again that I freeze ginger root for storage. When
partially defrosted with warm water to let me peel the amount I want, I
can grate a tablespoonful or more with an ordinary coarse grater. If it
is fully defrosted, the grater does tend to clog.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:24:25 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:14:33 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

>> >Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
>> >freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
>> >and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.

>> I'm with Ross-- But if you just got back from the grocery & it isn't
>> frozen yet, just be sure you're grating *against* the grain.
>>
>> I use a microplane or a coarse grater & it works for me. Sharp,
>> metal ones-- not the plastic one with the bumps on it.
>>
>> [Chopping it fine isn't real hard- peel with a spoon, slice paper thin
>> against the grain- stack the slices and chop- turn-chop.]
>>
>> Jim

>Our talented cook and photographer Koko introduced me to this in one of
>her photo outlays. I instantly fell in love with it and bought one for
>myself and one for my sister for Christmas who was equally delighted
>with it. Works better than any other grater I've ever tried for Ginger
>and it does not matter whether or not it's frozen. Plus, it captures
>ALL the juice. Thanks Koko! :-)
>
><http://tinyurl.com/3ojw8dr>

Aww shucks Om, my pleasure.

koko

p.s. Give my best to your dad
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:14:33 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>> > Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
>> > freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
>> > and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.
>> >

>> How do you *not* lose it in the freezer? I tried that once and
>> couldn't find it when I wanted it, so I went back to keeping mine in
>> the refrigerator. If it dries out, it's just a few pennies to
>> replace.

>Keep it in the door of the freezer.

I peel the ginger, cut into chunks then put into a glass jar and cover
with sherry. I keep it in the refrigerator, I've never had it go bad
on me. I love always having fresh ginger on hand.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:02:06 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:

> > > How big are a couple fingers ginger... you're beginning to sound like
> > > the dwarf... you can always ram that ginger up your ice cold snatch.

> > I can play this game too. You sound like your opinion is viewed
> > through two fingers of whiskey - with ice, of course.

> Crystal Palace... Shel' is a Vodka drinker. :-)

I don't know enough about ordering drinks to know if two fingers
applies to vodka too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 7:38 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In web.com>,
> Janet > wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2011 7:30 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have recommended?
>>> I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

>> I have some diced ginger in a jar of sherry in my fridge. it's a small
>> jar, kind of the size that capers come in. It's been in the fridge for
>> about 6 months and still adds goodness to stir fries.

> I might have to try that... but I'm also going to put some in a pot.
> Supposedly, you can dig it up, break off what you need, then replant it
> without killing the plant. And it continues to grow more rhizome.

Do keep us posted on the progress of the planting, please.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 8:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:02:06 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:

>>> I can play this game too. You sound like your opinion is viewed
>>> through two fingers of whiskey - with ice, of course.

>> Crystal Palace... Shel' is a Vodka drinker. :-)

> I don't know enough about ordering drinks to know if two fingers
> applies to vodka too.

It's a measurement. You hold your two fingers sideways on a shot glass.
When the liquid reaches the top of the two fingers, you have two fingers
of booze. Three fingers is measured against the width of three fingers
along side the shot glass.

Don't know where I learned this so it must have been during the 60's. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:46:58 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> > I don't know enough about ordering drinks to know if two fingers
> > applies to vodka too.
> >

> It's a measurement. You hold your two fingers sideways on a shot glass.
> When the liquid reaches the top of the two fingers, you have two fingers
> of booze. Three fingers is measured against the width of three fingers
> along side the shot glass.
>
> Don't know where I learned this so it must have been during the 60's. :-)

You're a veritable fountain of information, Janet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:46:58 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 6/14/2011 8:15 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:02:06 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In >,

>>> Crystal Palace... Shel' is a Vodka drinker. :-)

>> I don't know enough about ordering drinks to know if two fingers
>> applies to vodka too.
>>

>It's a measurement. You hold your two fingers sideways on a shot glass.
>When the liquid reaches the top of the two fingers, you have two fingers
>of booze. Three fingers is measured against the width of three fingers
>along side the shot glass.
>
>Don't know where I learned this so it must have been during the 60's. :-)

Some gals can take the entire hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

or keep your freezer organised and not overstuffed, Lee

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 22:14:33 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 16:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>> > Wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Take it out of the
>> > freezer, unwrap, grate what you need while still frozen. Wrap the rest
>> > and put it back in the freezer. Works like a charm.
>> >

>> How do you *not* lose it in the freezer? I tried that once and
>> couldn't find it when I wanted it, so I went back to keeping mine in
>> the refrigerator. If it dries out, it's just a few pennies to
>> replace.

> Keep it in the door of the freezer.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

if it works, you get a two/for... save money, to me every penny counts...
and quality control, it doesn't get much better than that to me, Lee

who hates not saving when its easy !!!
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2011 7:30 PM, Omelet wrote:
>> > In >,

>> > Ah, ok. Have you tried the Sherry storage that others have
>> > recommended?
>> > I'm fixin' to plant some in a pot and see what happens.

>> I have some diced ginger in a jar of sherry in my fridge. it's a small
>> jar, kind of the size that capers come in. It's been in the fridge for
>> about 6 months and still adds goodness to stir fries.

> I might have to try that... but I'm also going to put some in a pot.
> Supposedly, you can dig it up, break off what you need, then replant it
> without killing the plant. And it continues to grow more rhizome.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/14/2011 10:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:46:58 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>>> I don't know enough about ordering drinks to know if two fingers
>>> applies to vodka too.
>>>

>> It's a measurement. You hold your two fingers sideways on a shot glass.
>> When the liquid reaches the top of the two fingers, you have two fingers
>> of booze. Three fingers is measured against the width of three fingers
>> along side the shot glass.
>>
>> Don't know where I learned this so it must have been during the 60's. :-)

> You're a veritable fountain of information, Janet!

My friend, Richard, calls me a "cesspool of useless information" I did
go on Jeopardy about 38 years ago.

I know all of this stuff but ask me where I put my car keys 5 minutes
ago and I haven't a clue. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

if i could grow anything i would be there trying it with you, right now i am
researching herbs in pots after the tread i started here, ginger is on the
list, so maybe if i ever get my nerve up, i really hate killing things, Lee

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I might have to try that... but I'm also going to put some in a pot.
>> > Supposedly, you can dig it up, break off what you need, then replant it
>> > without killing the plant. And it continues to grow more rhizome.

>> if it works, you get a two/for... save money, to me every penny counts...
>> and quality control, it doesn't get much better than that to me, Lee
>>
>> who hates not saving when its easy !!!

> I saw it on Martha Stewart many moons ago... so it ought to to work.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Freezer organizing (was grating ginger - any tips?)

i don't know anything about sheldon anymore...

rice should be fine as far as eating it, but i would probably cook a sample
and taste it to make sure, if it isn't perfect it can go into the pooches,
or cats food as well, mine all love white and brown rice, they don't get it
often but when they don't feel well its an easy to digest form of calories
while taking pills... if they aren't fresh enough, just throw the rice in
the pot with the meat, Lee

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> One of the most organized freezers I've seen a pic of to date is
> Sheldons! Everything is organized and neatly stacked in storage
> containers.
>
> I'm almost done cleaning out my deep freeze (about 2/3+ done) and then I
> need to purchase a new dry erase board. I gave the one I bought to keep
> a freezer log on to one of the Nephews for Christmas. They both like to
> draw and the 5 year old still had a habit of drawing on the walls. <g>
> Fortunately, I knew to always purchase washable crayons as did sis'.
>
> The dry erase board stopped that. Finally!
>
> I swear going thru the deep freeze is like an archeological dig
> sometimes. It's been about 5 years since I last cleared it and it's
> amazing how much space you gain just by getting rid of ice build up on
> the sides.
>
> I plan to write down everything that is in that freezer with dates. I
> did unearth some very edible yummies I'd forgotten were in there
> including a bag of individually packaged and dated (by me) T-bones with
> large fillets I must have purchased on a good sale. There are about 8 of
> them and they are NOT freezer burned! I've eaten 2 of them already
> along with a 1 lb. bag of EZ peel shrimp that was getting a little too
> old but the flavor was still good.
>
> I think keeping a freezer log above the freezer with items and dates
> will finally help me keep a chest freezer a bit better organized. I
> started dating frozen packages back in 2004 so that's been a big help.
>
> Some of the older meat will likely be turned into dog food... I'll have
> to order some more Vionate from JeffersPets.com
>
> How long is rice good frozen for? I found about 8 bags of rice that I
> know are well over 10 years old. Dry rice, not cooked... I'm thinking
> any weevil eggs are long dead and I can tilia those and dry store them
> in the pantry.
> There are also packages of frozen Almonds and Pecans that I know are
> several years old. They've been in there since before mom passed as she
> used them for baking Christmas gifts and that's been 9 years now. I
> don't bake.
>
> There were also 3 emu feet that have been in there so long, they are
> actually freeze dried. <g> Now I can varnish them and use them for
> crafts as I'd planned. I want to mount them on the tops of wood staffs
> (My privett trees throw out base suckers that are long, straight and
> thick to make staffs) and sell them as "dragon claw" staffs on ebay...
> Freeze drying them worked better than the ones I buried in dessicants.
> On those, the scales started shedding. I've not slaughtered emus now
> for at least 12 years...
>
> Where the hell does the time go?
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:22:49 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> if i could grow anything i would be there trying it with you, right now i am
> researching herbs in pots after the tread i started here, ginger is on the
> list, so maybe if i ever get my nerve up, i really hate killing things, Lee

Rosemary is almost impossible to kill (it seems like only cold does
it), Lee, and I have had sage plants that seem to thrive on neglect
for years. Thyme, marjoram, oregano and parsley only need a little
water thrown on them from time to time. I suppose how often you need
to water depends on how much heat you get. If you have heat and are
willing to water, try growing basil. It loves sun, heat and water.
Mint likes wet feet, heat and a little shade, it thrived under the
cover over a leaky water pump at my mother's place. The blazing sun
and surrounding parched ground assured that it didn't romp around the
rest of the property.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i even killed an air fern, Lee

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:22:49 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>> if i could grow anything i would be there trying it with you, right now i
>> am
>> researching herbs in pots after the tread i started here, ginger is on
>> the
>> list, so maybe if i ever get my nerve up, i really hate killing things,
>> Lee

> Rosemary is almost impossible to kill (it seems like only cold does
> it), Lee, and I have had sage plants that seem to thrive on neglect
> for years. Thyme, marjoram, oregano and parsley only need a little
> water thrown on them from time to time. I suppose how often you need
> to water depends on how much heat you get. If you have heat and are
> willing to water, try growing basil. It loves sun, heat and water.
> Mint likes wet feet, heat and a little shade, it thrived under the
> cover over a leaky water pump at my mother's place. The blazing sun
> and surrounding parched ground assured that it didn't romp around the
> rest of the property.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:18:31 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

> i even killed an air fern, Lee

Okay, start with rosemary then.