Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mocha coffee

This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
mocha.

Is that a faux pas?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 10:19*am, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Some may say, but it sounds good to me! Of course I drink my coffee
black now, but would still love a good mocha. I usually do mocha by
eating dark chocolate and taking a sip of my hot, strong black
Sumatran! YUM! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
> like mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here - black,
cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all good, all
depends what we're in the mood to have, really.

Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better still.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:19:32 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?

Live dangerously, I say!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Jun 11, 10:19 am, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
>> like mocha.
>>
>> Is that a faux pas?
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Some may say, but it sounds good to me! Of course I drink my coffee
> black now, but would still love a good mocha. I usually do mocha by
> eating dark chocolate and taking a sip of my hot, strong black
> Sumatran! YUM! :-)

Thanks, John. You reminded me how I used to drink coffee with tiramisu, year
ago. Delicious. Must have been the coffee liqueur. [I always confuse
chocolate liquor (non-alcoholic) with chocolate liqueur (contains alcohol).]

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:
> Christopher M. wrote:
>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
>> like mocha.
>>
>> Is that a faux pas?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
> black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
> good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
>
> Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
> still.

I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've heard of
ice cream. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

It's a lot cheaper than buying the "International Suisse Mocha Coffee"
that's sold in the supermarket. In the wintertime, I occasionally add
a tablespoon of Quik to my coffee, if I feel like having a mocha instead
of regular coffee.

Jim Lahue
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/11/2011 1:37 PM, Jim Lahue wrote:
> Christopher M. wrote:
>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
>> like mocha.
>>
>> Is that a faux pas?

> It's a lot cheaper than buying the "International Suisse Mocha Coffee"
> that's sold in the supermarket. In the wintertime, I occasionally add a
> tablespoon of Quik to my coffee, if I feel like having a mocha instead
> of regular coffee.

I often make mocha for my 'brew' of the day. The "double chocolate"
cocoa by Ghiradelli is what I use instead of Nesquik since there are
added sugars & such in the latter. I'll briefly nuke a mug a little
more than half-full of milk & some heavy cream with a bit of granulated
sugar, add about a Tbs of cocoa powder to the hot dairy, then pour
freshly brewed coffee to the hot cocoa for a full mug of mocha A
topping of canned whipped cream is optional.

Home-made mocha is considerably _much less_ expensive than going to any
cafe or Starbucks-like place! A container of Ghiradelli cocoa
(~US$5.79/16 oz) at most grocery stores lasts a good month or a little
longer, and large container of ground coffee (~US$10/42.5 oz) lasts even
longer, about 3-4 months. I use only 1/8th-cup of ground coffee per mug
of mocha. The coffee gets brewed with a DeLonghi espresso maker.

Sky

P.S. I also use a lot of Nesquik, but that's mostly for cold chocolate
milk, sprinkled on top of vanilla ice cream, and sometimes dusted over
strawberry popsicles ;>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 1:37*pm, Jim Lahue > wrote:
> Christopher M. wrote:
> > This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> > mocha.

> > Is that a faux pas?

> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> It's a lot cheaper than buying the "International Suisse Mocha Coffee"
> that's sold in the supermarket. * *In the wintertime, I occasionally add
> a tablespoon of Quik to my coffee, if I feel like having a mocha instead
> of regular coffee.
>
> Jim Lahue

You know what else I've done, is a big ole squirt of Hershey's Syrup
in my coffee! YUM!! And WAY cheaper than any of that fru fru powdered
instant coffee drink mix. Better too! Cause you start with good
coffee.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:01:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

> You know what else I've done, is a big ole squirt of Hershey's Syrup
> in my coffee! YUM!!

Absolutely! The best mocha's I've ever tasted were made with
Hershey's from a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:01:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> You know what else I've done, is a big ole squirt of Hershey's
>> Syrup
>> in my coffee! YUM!!

> Absolutely! The best mocha's I've ever tasted were made with
> Hershey's from a can.

And I've been keeping it around just for the grandchildren's chocolate
milk! Will give it a go in the morning. Thanks.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 2:37*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>

> > On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:01:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> >> You know what else I've done, is a big ole squirt of Hershey's
> >> Syrup
> >> in my coffee! YUM!!

> > Absolutely! *The best mocha's I've ever tasted were made with
> > Hershey's from a can.

> And I've been keeping it around just for the grandchildren's chocolate
> milk! Will give it a go in the morning. Thanks.
>
> Felice

Why wait 'till the morning? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> Christopher M. wrote:
>>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
>>> like mocha.
>>>
>>> Is that a faux pas?
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
>> black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
>> good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
>>
>> Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
>> still.

> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids
like ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so it's
not a big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and looking
at the ice cream container on the table could give you the idea to put
them together.

Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?

Yes.

Now you have to decide whether you were polluting a perfectly good cup
of coffee with chocolate milk, or a perfectly good chocolate milk with
coffee.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
> > Christopher M. wrote:
> >> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
> >> like mocha.
> >>
> >> Is that a faux pas?
> >>

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
> > black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
> > good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
> >
> > Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
> > still.

> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've heard of
> ice cream. Thanks.

A shot of espresso poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream is called an
"affogato" in this part of the world. It's a reasonably common cafe
dessert.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" wrote:
>Christopher M. wrote:
>> Steve Freides wrote:

>>> As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
>>> black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
>>> good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
>>>
>>> Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
>>> still.

>> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
>> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

>A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids
>like ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so it's
>not a big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and looking
>at the ice cream container on the table could give you the idea to put
>them together.
>
>Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
>cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

Coffee ice cream never occured to you...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:30:36 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 12:01:38 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:
>
>> You know what else I've done, is a big ole squirt of Hershey's Syrup
>> in my coffee! YUM!!

>Absolutely! The best mocha's I've ever tasted were made with
>Hershey's from a can.

Uh uh... that's TIAD.

Yoo-Hoo double chocolate with Medaglia D'Oro instant ain't bad:
http://www.amazon.com/Medaglia-DOro-.../dp/B00060PTLO

But this is the ultimate:
http://www.manhattanspecial.com/prod...ee_drinks.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 18:23:29 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Uh uh... that's TIAD.

Obviously you've never tasted the ones I tasted. They were wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Christopher M. wrote:
>> Steve Freides wrote:

>>> As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
>>> black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
>>> good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
>>>
>>> Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
>>> still.

>> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
>> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

> A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids like
> ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so it's not a
> big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and looking at the
> ice cream container on the table could give you the idea to put them
> together.
>
> Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
> cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

I bought some fancy hot cocoa at a chocolate shop once. It had the
consistency of melted ice cream. I guess I could save money on hot cocoa by
just heating up some good ice cream.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
>> mocha.
>>
>> Is that a faux pas?

> Yes.
>
> Now you have to decide whether you were polluting a perfectly good cup
> of coffee with chocolate milk, or a perfectly good chocolate milk with
> coffee.

Or I could add more coffee.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Steve Freides" wrote:
> >Christopher M. wrote:

> >> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
> >> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

> >A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids
> >like ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so it's
> >not a big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and looking
> >at the ice cream container on the table could give you the idea to put
> >them together.
> >
> >Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
> >cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

> Coffee ice cream never occured to you...

It certainly occurs to me, particularly in a good coffee malt (shake).
Unfortunately Braum's doesn't seem to comprehend coffee ice cream, which
is sad, since they do malts and they have very good ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
>> Christopher M. wrote:

>> > I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
>> > heard of ice cream. Thanks.

> What kind of abominable person puts peanut butter in coffee?

http://puttingweirdthingsincoffee.co...ee-om-nom-nom/

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> But this is the ultimate:
> http://www.manhattanspecial.com/prod...ee_drinks.html

Yea, haven't seen their stuff in a while, though the iced coffee stuff
is new. Will see if there is a retailer near me, their online product
prices aren't bad, but the shipping and handling is a killer. I think
I'd go with the classic espresso soda.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John wrote:

> my hot, strong black Sumatran!

Does Bryan know about your relationship with the Sumatran?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Steve Freides" wrote:
>> Christopher M. wrote:

>>> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
>>> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

>> A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids
>> like ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so
>> it's not a big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and
>> looking at the ice cream container on the table could give you the
>> idea to put them together.
>>
>> Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
>> cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

> Coffee ice cream never occured to you...

Sounds like someone didn't have their coffee today, doesn't it?

We like coffee ice cream and we've used it coffee. We prefer vanilla.
We make our own espresso and with it and our homemade vanilla syrup, we
make a lot of iced vanilla lattes here. Coffee and vanilla is a great
combination. Coffee ice cream in coffee doesn't do much for us.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> "Christopher M." > wrote:
>
>> Steve Freides wrote:

>>> As you like it is fine. We drink coffee a myriad of ways here -
>>> black, cream, cream and sugar, hot, cold, flavored or not. It's all
>>> good, all depends what we're in the mood to have, really.
>>>
>>> Whipped cream in coffee is wonderful, ice cream in coffee better
>>> still.

>> I've heard of peanut butter in coffee, but this is the first I've
>> heard of ice cream. Thanks.

> A shot of espresso poured over a scoop of vanilla ice cream is called
> an "affogato" in this part of the world. It's a reasonably common
> cafe dessert.

Now there's a winning idea - we will try it tomorrow night. Thanks.

Buona sera.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve replied to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz:

>> Coffee ice cream never occured to you...

> Sounds like someone didn't have their coffee today, doesn't it?

Pussy's just disgruntled because he's been Googling all day for images of
cub scouts, and he still hasn't managed to muster an erection.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> But this is the ultimate:
>> http://www.manhattanspecial.com/prod...ee_drinks.html

>Yea, haven't seen their stuff in a while, though the iced coffee stuff
>is new. Will see if there is a retailer near me, their online product
>prices aren't bad, but the shipping and handling is a killer. I think
>I'd go with the classic espresso soda.

When I was a kid every candy store in Brooklyn sold Manhattan Specials
from their soda chest filled with the various glass bottles of soda
brands most of which no longer exist and lots of block ice floating in
water. Manhattan Special was in a 7 ounce silk screened glass bottle
and cost 8¢ plus 2¢ deposit if you took it off the premises. I could
spend a whole rainy afternoon in a booth reading pocket books while
sucking down one of Mrs Kushner's famous malteds. She knew how I
liked mine made with hand dipped Dolly Madison coffee ice cream,
frozen milk, and a whole bottle of Manhattan Special. I didn't know
from Mocha at seven years old so asking to add Fox's U-Bet never
occured to me. In those days soda bottles were glass (plastic wasn't
even a dream - there were steel soda cans first) had silk screened
labels, no paper... paper labels would come right off in the watery
coolers. Those thick glass bottles kept a soda ice cold far longer
than today's thin plastic. In those days Manhattan Special contained
a lot more caffein, so did Coke, which I think is why the much smaller
bottles. Back then they usually wouldn't sell a kid a Manhatten
Special or a Coke without an adult present, I shit you not.... adults
wouldn't drink but one, they were more potent than todays so-called
energy drinks. In those days a kid could eat candy all they wanted
and never get fat... there were no PCs, and very little TV watching...
kids played outside until it got so dark they could no longer see and
they played hard... moms would come out with a cloth diaper to wipe
off perspiration. Back then there was no such thing as gyms unless
you were a body builder or boxer (and now I know gyms then were mostly
for gays and pervs) and no one even knew from dieting. The only fat
women I remember were pregnant, and they really weren't fat, just had
big bellies and humongous bosoms. LOL Ya know back then there weren't
any minimizing natural countour bras, women wore those pointy Jane
Russels... even as a young kid I almost got my eyes poked out more
than a few times. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:37:46 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> A common thing here, especially when the kids were younger. The kids
>>> like ice cream for dessert, we parents like coffee after dinner, so
>>> it's not a big stretch to see how looking at your cup of coffee and
>>> looking at the ice cream container on the table could give you the
>>> idea to put them together.
>>>
>>> Of course, crappy ice cream won't work as well in coffee as good ice
>>> cream, but even lousy vanilla ice cream tastes pretty good in coffee.

>> Coffee ice cream never occured to you...

>Sounds like someone didn't have their coffee today, doesn't it?
>
>We like coffee ice cream and we've used it coffee. We prefer vanilla.
>We make our own espresso and with it and our homemade vanilla syrup, we
>make a lot of iced vanilla lattes here. Coffee and vanilla is a great
>combination. Coffee ice cream in coffee doesn't do much for us.

Big fat LIAR! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:58:18 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > my hot, strong black Sumatran!

> Does Bryan know about your relationship with the Sumatran?

LOL! I wonder if it's a three-some?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste
>>> like
>>> mocha.
>>>
>>> Is that a faux pas?

>> Yes.
>>
>> Now you have to decide whether you were polluting a perfectly good cup
>> of coffee with chocolate milk, or a perfectly good chocolate milk with
>> coffee.

> That's what mocha (or jamocha) is. Coffee (or java), milk, and
> chocolate.

The problem I have with Poo-bear's concoction is that most chocolate milk is
made with Dutch-processed cocoa and contains a host of stabilizers. I prefer
to make mocha using either thin ganache (one part Valhrona chocolate to six
parts heavy cream) or hot chocolate made using "normal" cocoa powder (i.e.,
cocoa powder which has *not* been alkali-treated).

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2011 10:19 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste like
> mocha.
>
> Is that a faux pas?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Mmm.... chocolate. I have used Torani syrup, they make it regular and
sugar free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torani

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton > wrote in
:

> On 6/11/2011 10:19 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste

like
>> mocha.
>>
>> Is that a faux pas?
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Mmm.... chocolate. I have used Torani syrup, they make it regular and
> sugar free.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torani
>
> Becca

Chocolate milk in coffee??? That should work.

Personally, I use 3 teaspoons of good quality chocolate powder to a double
shot of espresso, then topped with textured milk.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"I'm back." > wrote in message
5...
> Ema Nymton > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 6/11/2011 10:19 AM, Christopher M. wrote:
>>> This morning I put some chocolate milk in my coffee to make it taste

> like
>>> mocha.
>>>
>>> Is that a faux pas?
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> Mmm.... chocolate. I have used Torani syrup, they make it regular and
>> sugar free.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torani
>>
>> Becca
>>

> Chocolate milk in coffee??? That should work.
>
> Personally, I use 3 teaspoons of good quality chocolate powder to a double
> shot of espresso, then topped with textured milk.

I guess most chocolate milk isn't exactly strong.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)