Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is the restaurant that you had your best restaurant meal ever?

Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
restaurant was it in?

For me:

Location: Pacifica California, USA

Year: 1974

Restaurant: Alioto's

Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
for desert.

Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
rocks.

Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.

The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!

The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.

The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
service.

There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
years prior to this, and this place impressed me.

Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 11:53 AM, Landon wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

I have a few memories: the first Michelin starred restaurant we ever ate
at in Paris, Chez Mercier, Au Chapeau Rouge in Dijon (Magnifique!) and
La Antiga Casa de Botin in Madrid (the oldest restaurant in the world).
All of these were in 1965. All thro' our marriage my wife and I ate very
well indeed a few times a year at Chez Francois in Washington DC (and
then in Great Falls, VA). I also still remember our best ever
Smorgesbord in Norway with a wonderful view from above the
Hardangarfjord (I think.)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:35:23 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>I have a few memories: the first Michelin starred restaurant we ever ate
>at in Paris, Chez Mercier, Au Chapeau Rouge in Dijon (Magnifique!) and
>La Antiga Casa de Botin in Madrid (the oldest restaurant in the world).
>All of these were in 1965. All thro' our marriage my wife and I ate very
>well indeed a few times a year at Chez Francois in Washington DC (and
>then in Great Falls, VA). I also still remember our best ever
>Smorgesbord in Norway with a wonderful view from above the
>Hardangarfjord (I think.)

Thanks James, but I was looking for the ONE best of the best that
you've experienced in the world. That's why I made the title of the
thread a singular; "restaurant" instead of "restaurants".

If you HAD to pick just one, which would it be and why? What meal
there was your favorite and why?

Thanks man. I'm trying to get a list of places that are literally the
"Best of the best".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 1:03 PM, Landon wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:35:23 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> I have a few memories: the first Michelin starred restaurant we ever ate
>> at in Paris, Chez Mercier, Au Chapeau Rouge in Dijon (Magnifique!) and
>> La Antiga Casa de Botin in Madrid (the oldest restaurant in the world).
>> All of these were in 1965. All thro' our marriage my wife and I ate very
>> well indeed a few times a year at Chez Francois in Washington DC (and
>> then in Great Falls, VA). I also still remember our best ever
>> Smorgesbord in Norway with a wonderful view from above the
>> Hardangarfjord (I think.)

> Thanks James, but I was looking for the ONE best of the best that
> you've experienced in the world. That's why I made the title of the
> thread a singular; "restaurant" instead of "restaurants".
>
> If you HAD to pick just one, which would it be and why? What meal
> there was your favorite and why?
>
> Thanks man. I'm trying to get a list of places that are literally the
> "Best of the best".

I think it would be the Chapeau Rouge in Dijon, France. It only had one
Michelin star when we ate there but it now has two, I believe.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:09:55 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 6/5/2011 1:03 PM, Landon wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:35:23 -0400, James Silverton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few memories: the first Michelin starred restaurant we ever ate
>>> at in Paris, Chez Mercier, Au Chapeau Rouge in Dijon (Magnifique!) and
>>> La Antiga Casa de Botin in Madrid (the oldest restaurant in the world).
>>> All of these were in 1965. All thro' our marriage my wife and I ate very
>>> well indeed a few times a year at Chez Francois in Washington DC (and
>>> then in Great Falls, VA). I also still remember our best ever
>>> Smorgesbord in Norway with a wonderful view from above the
>>> Hardangarfjord (I think.)

>> Thanks James, but I was looking for the ONE best of the best that
>> you've experienced in the world. That's why I made the title of the
>> thread a singular; "restaurant" instead of "restaurants".
>>
>> If you HAD to pick just one, which would it be and why? What meal
>> there was your favorite and why?
>>
>> Thanks man. I'm trying to get a list of places that are literally the
>> "Best of the best".

>I think it would be the Chapeau Rouge in Dijon, France. It only had one
>Michelin star when we ate there but it now has two, I believe.

And what meal did you eat there that made this place your favorite?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:53:16 -0400, Landon > wrote:

> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

I've never heard of an Alioto's in Pacifica... you might be thinking
of the Moss Beach Distillery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 11:53*am, Landon > wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:

[snip]

I don't know the name and it may not exist anymore. Somewhere on Route
3, just past Windsor, Canada.

My wife, four kids, and I were all tired and hungry. It had been a
rough day. I had a blowout on the right rear tire of a tow car
(station wagon) while approaching Detroit on a two-lane road with
loose gravel shoulders. Applying the trailer brakes manually kept me
from losing control. I had to empty a bit of stuff to get at the spare
in the wheel well, but that was OK. I didn't unhitch the trailer, and
the extra weight might be why the bumper jack broke. It would hold,
but not lift. I improvised with a small hydraulic I used to level the
trailer, some pieces of wood and rocks that I found along the road. In
Detroit, I bought another jack and another tire. We figured to eat
supper in Canada. We had traveled a long time without seeing any place
we could bring kids to when we found a restaurant. We parked and went
in. The owner told us that, despite the signage, they had not yet
opened for business. He must have seen the looks on our faces, and
when we asked if he knew of any other source of substinance along the
route, he said that if we didn't mind waiting, he could feed us. He
asked our indulgence in the matter of preparation. We sat at a table.
Shortly, his wife brought out a communal bowl of salad and some bread.
We ate and waited.

Dinner was the best Beef Stroganoff I have ever had. I've eaten it
elsewhere and made it myself.
Even allowing for how welcome any food would have been at that point,
it was very special. I live in New Jersey. If I thought I could find
the place again, I'd go back for more.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:31:54 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> The owner told us that, despite the signage, they had not yet
>opened for business. He must have seen the looks on our faces, and
>when we asked if he knew of any other source of substinance along the
>route, he said that if we didn't mind waiting, he could feed us.
>Dinner was the best Beef Stroganoff I have ever had. I've eaten it
>elsewhere and made it myself.
>Jerry

What an incredibly cool restaurateur! He and his wife sound like
special people. I love it when I meet someone like that. It revives my
opinion of people as a whole.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/5/2011 1:37 PM, Landon wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:09:55 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/2011 1:03 PM, Landon wrote:
>>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:35:23 -0400, James Silverton

>>> Thanks James, but I was looking for the ONE best of the best that
>>> you've experienced in the world. That's why I made the title of the
>>> thread a singular; "restaurant" instead of "restaurants".
>>>
>>> If you HAD to pick just one, which would it be and why? What meal
>>> there was your favorite and why?
>>>
>>> Thanks man. I'm trying to get a list of places that are literally the
>>> "Best of the best".

>> I think it would be the Chapeau Rouge in Dijon, France. It only had one
>> Michelin star when we ate there but it now has two, I believe.

> And what meal did you eat there that made this place your favorite?

I can't possibly remember the menu only the impression it had on my wife
and myself. I dare say I could guess from the Michelin Guide of the
time, which I still have, but such impressions are not reliable.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 14:57:38 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>>On 6/5/2011 1:37 PM, Landon wrote:
>> And what meal did you eat there that made this place your favorite?
>>

>I can't possibly remember the menu only the impression it had on my wife
>and myself. I dare say I could guess from the Michelin Guide of the
>time, which I still have, but such impressions are not reliable.

Thanks anyway James! I love to hear about meal combinations in
restaurants that are known for their exceptional foods. Sometimes I
just slap my forehead and say "Oh hell, why didn't *I* think of that!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:53*am, Landon > wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?

<snippage>

Alas!, I have never yet had an outstanding restaurant meal. When that
day comes I will be only too happy to name the restaurant and the meal
that was served.

Now if you wanted the worst meal...a practically raw slab of prime rib
dripping blood served with only a tiny slice of watermelon in a fancy
restaurant (unnamed to protect the guilty) on "motel row" in Victoria,
B.C. in 1975.
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/06/2011 11:53 AM, Landon wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

$40 per plate in 1974? BULLSHIT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 5, 8:53*am, Landon > wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

I have three and it is a toss up between them. All are in New
Orleans... (and yes I have dined out all over the country).

Antoine's - every meal I have ever eaten there was perfectly cooked,
perfectly seasoned, perfectly presented and I was treated like a VIP.

Commander's Palace - every meal there is a complete dining experience
of excellence...I think my most favorites were Sunday brunches.

Brennan's - I dated the GM for a while, so I got superior
service ;-) but, aside from that it's very hard
to beat the food, the service, and the fun.

I have never had better food, better service or a better meal than in
those three places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

For me it was the Old Bath House in Pacific Grove. I had a lobster soup
that was to die for. Breakfast was lobsters Benedict. I had an astounding
grilled sea bass dinner with garden fresh vegetables. Sadly it close
recently.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

For me, game dinner night at the local gun club was always outstanding,
but I'm not sure it qualifies as a restaurant. Most of the guys were
decent cooks and there's nothing like fresh game well prepared.

In order from a menu restaurants it's a tossup between bay scallops at
21 and salmon 3 ways at the Space Needle. I don't usually like seafood
but those were exceptions. Both were a long, long time ago.

Most "interesting" meal was probably at the Pueblo museum in
Albuquerque. At the time they were trying to replicate pre-Columbian
food as it would have been prepared in the region and the seasoning was
"different". Not unpleasant, but not expected. They've since abandoned
that policy and gone to something less educational but more tourist-
friendly.

Then there was breakfast at the Boat School. I really wish I'd thought
to take notes. But again that's not really a restaurant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Around 1970 or so, I was taken out to a place called Fontaine's
Dickens somewhere outside of Boston. I ordered the lobster fisherman
style and never got over the shock of being presented with TWO full
lobsters. The atmosphere was quiet, dark and intimate. I recall
padded booths, dim lighting, soft music and well-spoken waiters in
dark uniforms. Someone else in the party ordered the Chateaubriand
and it was served on a plank, surrounded with mounds of mashed
potatoes. I can't recall everything about the meal, but we topped it
off with cherries flambe. Needless to say, I wasn't paying the bill
so have no idea what this repast cost. There have been other memorable
meals, but this still stands out. I think the place went down in
flames a while ago, so don't go looking on Chowhound.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 4:18*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 05/06/2011 11:53 AM, Landon wrote:
>

> > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> > restaurant was it in?

> > For me:

> > Location: Pacifica California, USA

> > Year: 1974

> > Restaurant: Alioto's

> > Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> > for desert.

> > Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> $40 per plate in 1974? * *BULLSHIT.

Highly possible. I knew of a $60 prix fixe deal in NYC in 1965.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 6:35*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> > restaurant was it in?

Probably not the best ever, but the food at the Greek restaurant
(Momos) we went to tonight was excellent, and the waitress was
goddessy beautiful.

> For me, game dinner night at the local gun club was always outstanding,
> but I'm not sure it qualifies as a restaurant. *

"Gun club" brought this to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoCFgVf6bAc

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:ul!
> On Jun 5, 6:35*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > says...

> > > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> > > restaurant was it in?

> Probably not the best ever, but the food at the Greek restaurant
> (Momos) we went to tonight was excellent, and the waitress was
> goddessy beautiful.

Should go to Momo's on a Friday night. They have a belly dancer who's
very beautiful!!

Did you get the saginaki (flaming cheese)?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:16*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 9:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:ul!
>
> > On Jun 5, 6:35*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:

> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> > Probably not the best ever, but the food at the Greek restaurant
> > (Momos) we went to tonight was excellent, and the waitress was
> > goddessy beautiful.

> Should go to Momo's on a Friday night. They have a belly dancer who's
> very beautiful!!
>
> Did you get the saginaki (flaming cheese)?
>
> John Kuthe...

OB: Best meal ever:

Can't remember everything I had, but it was at the Sydney Street Cafe
just before last Christmas. Much excellent foods, but the thing I
remember the most was finally having a scotch I did not hate! It was a
Laphroaig:

http://www.laphroaig.com/tv/index.asp?expanded=tv

and it was on the dessert menu for $20 a shot, I think! I had it neat,
and the waiter brought a small glass of ice chips and said people like
to put a chip of ice in before sipping, to "open up the flavor". WOW!!
I've never had a liquor with more intense and complex flavors than
that before!! YUM!! (Bryan, you would have hated it!)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 11:53*am, Landon > wrote:
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

Back in 1973 for Father's day, we went to a steak house in Waterloo,
Ontario. I can only remember the steak I had, and little else. It
was outstanding. Very well aged, and cooked to order; medium rare.
The 'Ali Baba' Steak house. There's much to be said for a piece of
properly done beef.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:16*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 9:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:ul!
>
> > On Jun 5, 6:35*pm, "J. Clarke" > wrote:

> > > In article >,
> > > says...

> > Probably not the best ever, but the food at the Greek restaurant
> > (Momos) we went to tonight was excellent, and the waitress was
> > goddessy beautiful.

> Should go to Momo's on a Friday night. They have a belly dancer who's
> very beautiful!!
>
> Did you get the saginaki (flaming cheese)?

No, I got the regular lamb gyros and Betsy got crab cakes. We split
an order of Papou ("shell pasta with artichokes, spinach, sun-dried
tomatoes and feta cheese in a creamy marinara sauce"). I can't
imagine the belly dancer looking anywhere near as good as that
waitress.
http://www.saucemagazine.com/momos/menus.htm

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 9:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 9:16*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > Probably not the best ever, but the food at the Greek restaurant
> > > (Momos) we went to tonight was excellent, and the waitress was
> > > goddessy beautiful.

> > Should go to Momo's on a Friday night. They have a belly dancer who's
> > very beautiful!!

> > Did you get the saginaki (flaming cheese)?

> > John Kuthe...

> OB: Best meal ever:
>
> Can't remember everything I had, but it was at the Sydney Street Cafe
> just before last Christmas. Much excellent foods, but the thing I
> remember the most was finally having a scotch I did not hate! It was a
> Laphroaig:
>
> http://www.laphroaig.com/tv/index.asp?expanded=tv
>
> and it was on the dessert menu for $20 a shot, I think! I had it neat,
> and the waiter brought a small glass of ice chips and said people like
> to put a chip of ice in before sipping, to "open up the flavor". WOW!!
> I've never had a liquor with more intense and complex flavors than
> that before!! YUM!! (Bryan, you would have hated it!)

I would have. I detest whisky. I even hated it back when I used to
chug it straight. As much as I hate corn and rye whisky, nothing
comes close to scotch. Plus, if I hadn't gotten drunk on that Cutty
Sark when I was about 12 or 13, I might have gotten to make out with
that Julie Hancock chick who lived down the street on Anchorage. You
know, the prissy one who dated that one guy for a few years.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 5, 10:08*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 5, 9:23*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 5, 9:16*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > On Jun 5, 9:06*pm, Bryan > wrote:ul!

> > > Should go to Momo's on a Friday night. They have a belly dancer who's
> > > very beautiful!!

> > > Did you get the saginaki (flaming cheese)?

> > > John Kuthe...

> > OB: Best meal ever:

> > Can't remember everything I had, but it was at the Sydney Street Cafe
> > just before last Christmas. Much excellent foods, but the thing I
> > remember the most was finally having a scotch I did not hate! It was a
> > Laphroaig:

> >http://www.laphroaig.com/tv/index.asp?expanded=tv

> > and it was on the dessert menu for $20 a shot, I think! I had it neat,
> > and the waiter brought a small glass of ice chips and said people like
> > to put a chip of ice in before sipping, to "open up the flavor". WOW!!
> > I've never had a liquor with more intense and complex flavors than
> > that before!! YUM!! (Bryan, you would have hated it!)

> I would have. *I detest whisky. *I even hated it back when I used to
> chug it straight. *As much as I hate corn and rye whisky, nothing
> comes close to scotch. *Plus, if I hadn't gotten drunk on that Cutty
> Sark when I was about 12 or 13, I might have gotten to make out with
> that Julie Hancock chick who lived down the street on Anchorage. *You
> know, the prissy one who dated that one guy for a few years.
>

> > John Kuthe...

> --Bryan

Julie Hancock, OMG yes!! And the guy she dated was named Guy! you
bringing up Julie jogged my neurons and the memories come flooding
back. :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 14:07:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I have three and it is a toss up between them. All are in New
>Orleans... (and yes I have dined out all over the country).
>
>Antoine's - every meal I have ever eaten there was perfectly cooked,
>perfectly seasoned, perfectly presented and I was treated like a VIP.
>
>Commander's Palace - every meal there is a complete dining experience
>of excellence...I think my most favorites were Sunday brunches.
>
>Brennan's - I dated the GM for a while, so I got superior
>service ;-) but, aside from that it's very hard
>to beat the food, the service, and the fun.
>
>I have never had better food, better service or a better meal than in
>those three places.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Ok, let me practice...

na Olans...

nope

Narlins...close

Ah hell, I give. No one can say it like the locals.

Thanks for the reviews. Seriously logged!

Lotsa chili's, lotsa seafood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:41:19 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Landon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
>> restaurant was it in?

>Location: Pohang Korea. From train station walk along main route then
>take the first main seeming street to the right, down 2 blocks and look
>to the right.
>
>Cost: appx 10$ USA
>
>Menu has no pictures and is printed in korean on the wall with 6
>options. All are multicourse meals. Seating is low table asian style
>on mats with fresh newspaper on the table.
>
>My shipmate and I just shrugged, pointed at the second one and
>proffered money each equal to the amount on the wall and grinned.
>Shortly, a 6 course roughly meal started to roll out in bits. There
>must have been at least 14 dishes among the layers of foods. Each
>sized to a few bites and anything particlarily yummie came back with
>more next visit (we went several times over 4 days then again each trip
>back to Pohang).
>
>Heck if I know the name of the place. Before we left Japan, we took the
>speed boat from Fukuoka to Korea and I treated the family to the place.
>The speed boat takes you to Pusan then you take a train to Pohang.

That's awesome. No kidding.

A real "Wish I was there"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

honestly the best meal i ever had wasn't in a resto, the DH bought "deli"
stuff and we walked to a small lake in a city park and spent the aftn
talking, feeding ducks and the lone canadian goose and watching nature, Lee
"Landon" > wrote in message
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:40:57 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>cherries flambe

Oh...

my...

That's all you had to say.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Jun 5, 4:18*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 05/06/2011 11:53 AM, Landon wrote:
>>
>> > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
>> > restaurant was it in?

>> > For me:

>> > Location: Pacifica California, USA

>> > Year: 1974

>> > Restaurant: Alioto's

>> > Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
>> > for desert.

>> > Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

>> $40 per plate in 1974? * *BULLSHIT.

>Highly possible. I knew of a $60 prix fixe deal in NYC in 1965.

Don't feel badly, Kalmia. Daves hate me. I see them for what they are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 19:23:11 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>OB: Best meal ever:
>
>Can't remember everything I had

>John Kuthe...

Gotcha!

Been there, done that...

Not since I was in my 30's...but I remember it well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.
>
> Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.
>
> The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!
>
> The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.
>
> The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> service.
>
> There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> years prior to this, and this place impressed me.
>
> Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

For us:

Restaurant: Taillevent

Location: 15 Rue Lamennais, 75008 Paris, France

Year: 25+/- years ago

Dish: Tournedos .......

Price: can't remember; couldn't afford it now.

It was awesome. We ate there just before they got their 3rd Michelin star.
Despite it being a very high brow restaurant, they were courteous, gentile,
friendly. When you get on the street the French are wonderful people. They
still remember humbly World War II and remember we came to help.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 2:41*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Landon" > wrote in message

> > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> > restaurant was it in?

> > For me:

> > Location: Pacifica California, USA

> > Year: 1974

> > Restaurant: Alioto's

> > Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> > for desert.

> > Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> > Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> > Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> > were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> > ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> > rocks.

> > Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> > the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> > staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.

> > The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> > with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> > and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> > so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!

> > The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> > anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> > money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> > so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.

> > The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> > perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> > and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> > service.

> > There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> > trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> > years prior to this, and this place impressed me.

> > Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> > but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

> For us:
>
> Restaurant: Taillevent
>
> Location: 15 Rue Lamennais, 75008 Paris, France
>
> Year: 25+/- years ago
>
> Dish: Tournedos .......
>
> Price: can't remember; couldn't afford it now.
>
> It was awesome. We ate there just before they got their 3rd Michelin star..
> Despite it being a very high brow restaurant, they were courteous, gentile,
> friendly. When you get on the street the French are wonderful people. They
> still remember humbly World War II and remember we came to help.

They (the French) some of them also remember that the allies bombed
the shit out of France and murdered 40K French civilians.

> Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Landon" > wrote in message
> Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> restaurant was it in?
>
> For me:
>
> Location: Pacifica California, USA
>
> Year: 1974
>
> Restaurant: Alioto's
>
> Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> for desert.
>
> Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> rocks.

(snippage)

I've lived in/traveled to so many places it's difficult to say which was the
"best" restaurant. Trattoria Tiramisu in Bettendorf, Iowa had fantastic
food. The service left a little to be desired. It's a little hole in the
wall situtated next to a coin-operated laundry

The Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Minneapolis was fun. The waiter sat
down with us and told us all his troubles... that was a little
disconcerting. But they have fantastic Asiago cheese dip, yummy! He got
the recipe for us. (I've posted it in the past.)

Lucky's Cafe in Addison (a suburb of Dallas), Texas. Great breakfast!
Country fried steak with cream gravy, 2 eggs, biscuits and fried potatoes.
Wow!

I haven't been to California since I was seven so I can't speak to west
coast eateries.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2011 12:16 AM, Landon wrote:

>>> $40 per plate in 1974? BULLSHIT.

>> Highly possible. I knew of a $60 prix fixe deal in NYC in 1965.

> Don't feel badly, Kalmia. Daves hate me. I see them for what they are.

Don't make the mistake of confusing hatred with simply disliking you
because you are an idiot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 5, 9:02*pm, Landon > wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 14:07:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:
> >I have three and it is a toss up between them. * All are in New
> >Orleans... (and yes I have dined out all over the country).

> >Antoine's - every meal I have ever eaten there was perfectly cooked,
> >perfectly seasoned, perfectly presented and I was treated like a VIP.

> >Commander's Palace - every meal there is a complete dining experience
> >of excellence...I think my most favorites were Sunday brunches.

> >Brennan's - I dated the GM for a while, so I got superior
> >service *;-) *but, aside from that it's very hard
> >to beat the food, the service, and the fun.

> >I have never had better food, better service or a better meal than in
> >those three places.

> Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
>
> Ok, let me practice...
>
> na Olans...
>
> nope
>
> Narlins...close
>
> Ah hell, I give. No one can say it like the locals.
>
> Thanks for the reviews. Seriously logged!
>
> Lotsa chili's, lotsa seafood.

Actually, only tourists say N'awlins. Most people in New Orleans say
Nu Orlans.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <805cadbf-7e0c-4af6-96e5-
>,
says...

> On Jun 6, 2:41*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> > "Landon" > wrote in message

> > > Regardless of the year or place, what meal were you served and what
> > > restaurant was it in?

> > > For me:

> > > Location: Pacifica California, USA

> > > Year: 1974

> > > Restaurant: Alioto's

> > > Meal: Steak and Lobster with grilled asparagus and Chocolate Mousse
> > > for desert.

> > > Price range: Expensive; $40+ per/plate (A lot in 1974 dollars)

> > > Well, the only Alioto's I can find now is on Fisherman's Wharf in San
> > > Francisco. I don't know if they moved it from Pacifica or if there
> > > were two in that area. When I was there, it was literally over the
> > > ocean with windows where you could see the waves crashing over the
> > > rocks.

> > > Valet parking and the staff were trained very well. Professionals from
> > > the valet service to the coat room person, maitre d' and serving
> > > staff, we were treated respectfully and with full courtesy.

> > > The meal was truly awesome. The fillet was cooked exactly as ordered
> > > with an almost raw center to a charred surface. The Lobster was tender
> > > and very well seasoned. The grilled asparagus was tender and seasoned
> > > so well that it would be a meal unto itself. The desert? Fantastic!

> > > The reasons I loved this meal and place were numerous. It was my first
> > > anniversary with my wife, and even though we were pretty short on
> > > money, I saved up for this place. She was born and raised in Pacifica,
> > > so she was very familiar with the place, but had never eaten there.

> > > The grounds of the restaurant were impeccable and landscaped to
> > > perfection. The staff were all perfectly groomed, very cleanly dressed
> > > and each carried a professional demeanor that exemplified great
> > > service.

> > > There was literally nothing less than perfect service and food. I was
> > > trained for 5 years, by one of the top chefs in the world just a few
> > > years prior to this, and this place impressed me.

> > > Does anyone know if the one on Fisherman's Wharf is the same place,
> > > but just moved? I could find no reference to it in Pacifica now.

> > For us:
> >
> > Restaurant: Taillevent
> >
> > Location: 15 Rue Lamennais, 75008 Paris, France
> >
> > Year: 25+/- years ago
> >
> > Dish: Tournedos .......
> >
> > Price: can't remember; couldn't afford it now.
> >
> > It was awesome. We ate there just before they got their 3rd Michelin star.
> > Despite it being a very high brow restaurant, they were courteous, gentile,
> > friendly. When you get on the street the French are wonderful people. They
> > still remember humbly World War II and remember we came to help.
> >

> They (the French) some of them also remember that the allies bombed
> the shit out of France and murdered 40K French civilians.

Well, if they'd rather have the Nazis back we can arrange that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 6, 6:54*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> The Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Minneapolis was fun. *The waiter sat
> down with us and told us all his troubles... that was a little
> disconcerting. *...

I traveled around Greece by car, often stopping to eat in restaurants
where I had no common language with anybody. We were usually invited
into the kitchen to lift the covers from pots and choose by pointing.
We has some wonderful food that way, but I never knew what it was
called. One small town was different. The waiter spoke English,
French, German, Arabic, Italian. Spanish and a few other languages. He
had been a merchant sailor, and come home to help his aging mother
with her restaurant, the only one in town. He hated the small-town
life. He told us, "Everywhere people have troubles. Here, it's always
the same troubles!"

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/06/2011 11:12 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:

> I traveled around Greece by car, often stopping to eat in restaurants
> where I had no common language with anybody. We were usually invited
> into the kitchen to lift the covers from pots and choose by pointing.

I ordered like that once in a Greek restaurant in Toronto in the mid
60s. I was visiting my aunt and spend a day helping my cousin on his
milk delivery route. We stopped for lunch at a place. I don't remember
the name or exact location but it was kind of a grubby looking place on
the second floor of a building.We went back to the kitchen and pointed
to what we wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 07:24:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Actually, only tourists say N'awlins.

Huh. I've seen supposed natives claiming that's the way to say it on
TV. Maybe it's so they can make telling who's a tourist and who isn't
easier.

> Most people in New Orleans say Nu Orlans.....

I just be a native, because that's the way I say it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 06/06/2011 11:12 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
>
>> I traveled around Greece by car, often stopping to eat in restaurants
>> where I had no common language with anybody. We were usually invited
>> into the kitchen to lift the covers from pots and choose by pointing.

> I ordered like that once in a Greek restaurant in Toronto in the mid 60s.
> I was visiting my aunt and spend a day helping my cousin on his milk
> delivery route. We stopped for lunch at a place. I don't remember the name
> or exact location but it was kind of a grubby looking place on the second
> floor of a building.We went back to the kitchen and pointed to what we
> wanted.

During the 2nd War, my Father was in Singapore to evacuate people before the
fall. He would go into the restaurant kitchens to watch them cook his meal
because he didn't trust them!
Graham