Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dish washing products

"Lee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
jmcquown wrote
> It is very rarely that I leave the dishes in water overnight. The slime
> occurs during the 10 minutes it takes me to fill the sink and wash the
> dishes.

I think it's hard water mineral soap scum. If so a tad of washing soda
ought to help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 01:45:33 -0400, Lee > wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:00:15 -0400, Brooklyn1 wrote
>(in article >):
>
>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 09:09:33 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
>> wrote:

>>> Same for me. I suspect the OP might have a problem with his water supply.

>> Yes, could be exceptionally hard water, but then it appears it's a new
>> occurance, water doesn't suddenly become hard unless one moves
>> residences.

>We have always had hard water but I do not know to what degree the hardness
>is. It is well water supplied by the town so could change.
>
> This situation has been going on for several years, actually since the last
>formulation change in the soaps. It is just that I am tired of it and would
>like to find out what is wrong.

Water hardness test kits are readily available on line, from hardware
stores, and pet shops, very inexpensive. Hard water will cancel out
the grease dispersant action of typical dishwashing liquids. If you
have hard water I strongly suggest you have a water softener
installed... hard water will destroy your plumbing, very expensive.
http://tinyurl.com/69osana
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...dness+test+kit
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 6:24*pm, Lee > wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:29:55 -0400, James Silverton wrote
> (in article >):

> >> Do you scrape your dishes into the trash or trash disposal? * Do you
> >> use a paper towel on baking pans with grease in them before you wash
> >> them?

> >> No dishwashing detergent is going to cut through an inch of cold
> >> grease on a frying pan or baking pan.

> >> You probably are having to use too much dishwashing liquid because you
> >> are not getting rid of the grease in the
> >> trash first. * You should never try to put grease down your drains.
> >> It will stop them up and it is bad for the
> >> water system, if you live in a town or city.

> > I've used Ivory liquid for hand-washing for *over 30 years for pots and pans
> > and I still find it quite satisfactory. What's wrong with it in your
> > opinion? I do mostly wash things in a dishwasher and normally just rinse
> > with plain warm or cold water before loading. Since I don't run the
> > dishwasher every day I like to remove food particles to avoid unpleasant
> > odors.

> I used Ivory liquid the longest but in the end it was no different than the
> other liquids. *
>
> --
> Lee
> Park Ridge NJ
> rarebirdyatverizondotnet- Hide quoted text -

It seems you have an answer for every suggestion. I guess there's no
hope for you, you are destined to live with slime. As for me, I've
never ever had the problem you describe, whether it be the water, the
sink surface, the sponge or whatever. Like I said, there's no hope
for you - just give up now.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lee > wrote:

>What happens
>to those grease particles that are not redeposited on the dishes?

They should, after being dssolved by the detergent, be going down
the drain.

I think the thread has already hit on all the possibilties:
don't use a standing-water technique, use lots of hot running water,
possible soften/demineralize/filter your water, don't let
sponges/rags develop a build-up.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:42:03 -0400, Steve Pope wrote
(in article >):

> Lee > wrote:
>
>> What happens
>> to those grease particles that are not redeposited on the dishes?

> They should, after being dssolved by the detergent, be going down
> the drain.

I think this is the last piece of the puzzle. Thanks!

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ
rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 11:18:53 -0400, Nancy2 wrote
(in article
>):

> On Jun 4, 6:24*pm, Lee > wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 17:29:55 -0400, James Silverton wrote
>> (in article >):

>>> I've used Ivory liquid for hand-washing for *over 30 years for pots and
>>> pans
>>> and I still find it quite satisfactory. What's wrong with it in your
>>> opinion? I do mostly wash things in a dishwasher and normally just rinse
>>> with plain warm or cold water before loading. Since I don't run the
>>> dishwasher every day I like to remove food particles to avoid unpleasant
>>> odors.

>> I used Ivory liquid the longest but in the end it was no different than the
>> other liquids. *
>>
>> --
>> Lee
>> Park Ridge NJ
>> rarebirdyatverizondotnet- Hide quoted text -

> It seems you have an answer for every suggestion. I guess there's no
> hope for you, you are destined to live with slime. As for me, I've
> never ever had the problem you describe, whether it be the water, the
> sink surface, the sponge or whatever. Like I said, there's no hope
> for you - just give up now.
>
> N.

I'm sorry. I was just trying to clarify how I wash the dishes so that you all
could see what was happening or that I was already doing what was being
suggested.

I have been told in the past that there is no hope for me and proved them
wrong. I do not know if you meant this to be humorous but I sure did have a
chuckle. Thank you for that.

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ
rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 10:09:03 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 07:33:20 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 09:26:15 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> snip
>
>>> Whadda ya know . . . I didn't think Dobie pads existed any more. I
>>> haven't been able to find them in any grocery store here for years.
>>> Thanks. They work better than what I am using now -- those balls of
>>> coarse nylon? threads. I'm going to get a bunch of Dobies. A clean
>>> Dobie and a clean dish cloth at the end of every day. Throw them all
>>> in the washer with bleach and then I won't get mystery bumps on my
>>> dishes and sink.

>> I don't recommend bleach, it will demolish most plastics. I've never
>> needed to sanitize my Dobies, they wash up well with hot soapy water.
>> Walmart carries Dobie, as does Amazon.
>> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...efix=dobie+pad

> maybe so. . .but I'd rather add bleach to the washing machine water
> for things like dish clothes, dish towels and scrubbies. My current
> scrubbies have survived a couple of years of this. My Dobies used to
> last equally as long. Of course, the other alternative is to put the
> Dobie in the microwave on high for 60 seconds.
> Janet US

Goto the fabric store and buy a couple of yards of nylon netting.
Really scratchy stuff. When you need a new scrubbie, cut off a hunk
and wad it up. Squeeze it out and sit it on the back of the sink when
you're done and use it again next time -- it dries really fast. After
a month or two, throw it away and cut off another piece. $1 worth of
netting should last you at least a year, and it works better than
ready-made scrubbies.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:38:17 -0400, Giusi wrote
(in article >):

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ
rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:38:17 -0400, Giusi wrote
(in article >):

> "Lee" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> jmcquown wrote
>> It is very rarely that I leave the dishes in water overnight. The slime
>> occurs during the 10 minutes it takes me to fill the sink and wash the
>> dishes.

> I think it's hard water mineral soap scum. If so a tad of washing soda
> ought to help.

I googled "hard water mineral soap scum" and that is what is going on.

Another poster suggested that I was not using enough detergent. I believe
that also is true.

It is such a relief to finally find out the cause of a major annoyance.
Thank you, Everybody.

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ
rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle, I add a
capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can get, put on my
gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and rinse.
Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help. Protect
yourself - it's not kind to skin or noses but it surely does clean. And
Lee. You can leave your dishes in the sink to soak anytime you want/need
to. It is your sink. There are no Sink Police. None that we want to meet
anyway. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle,
> I add a capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can
> get, put on my gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and
> rinse. Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help.

I would be careful about adding it to dishwashing detergent, that
might contain bleach. Not a good plan for your lungs.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. com...> Polly Esther
wrote:

>> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
>> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
>> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle,
>> I add a capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can
>> get, put on my gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and
>> rinse. Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help.

> I would be careful about adding it to dishwashing detergent, that might
> contain bleach. Not a good plan for your lungs.
>
> nancy

AWKKKkkk yes, Nancy. You are so right. My great aunt Lois once mixed
bleach and ammonia and about blew the house up. I was just thinking a
rinse sort of water and then maybe another rinse. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> . com...> Polly Esther
> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
>>> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
>>> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle,
>>> I add a capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can
>>> get, put on my gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and
>>> rinse. Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help.

>> I would be careful about adding it to dishwashing detergent, that
>> might contain bleach. Not a good plan for your lungs.

> AWKKKkkk yes, Nancy. You are so right. My great aunt Lois once
> mixed bleach and ammonia and about blew the house up.

Yikes! Scary.

> I was just
> thinking a rinse sort of water and then maybe another rinse. Polly

It just struck me the OP might think you meant to add ammonia to the
dishwater with soap. You never know.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 23:08:03 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Polly Esther wrote:
>
>> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
>> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
>> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle,
>> I add a capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can
>> get, put on my gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and
>> rinse. Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help.

>I would be careful about adding it to dishwashing detergent, that
>might contain bleach. Not a good plan for your lungs.

Even plain bleach on its own is harmful to lung tissue and the damage
is irreversable... folks who bathe in chlorine treated pools are
pinheads, those fumes are far worse than smoking tobacco. No one
should use bleach indoors, not in any concentration, because the gas
fills the room at the same concentration regardless how diluted...
everytime yoose spray kitchen surfaces with bleach water you're
shortening your life... just because they give it an innocent sounding
name like "*laundry* bleach" it still produces deadly chlorine gas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:30:28 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Polly Esther wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> . com...> Polly Esther

>>> I would be careful about adding it to dishwashing detergent, that
>>> might contain bleach. Not a good plan for your lungs.

>> AWKKKkkk yes, Nancy. You are so right. My great aunt Lois once
>> mixed bleach and ammonia and about blew the house up.

>Yikes! Scary.
>
>> I was just
>> thinking a rinse sort of water and then maybe another rinse. Polly

>It just struck me the OP might think you meant to add ammonia to the
>dishwater with soap. You never know.

Never do that... it's the ammonia fumes that do the cleaning, not the
liquid ammonia, those fumes also destroy lung tissue. Bring the
cleaning outdoors and use a sealed plastic bag, only need like a 1/4
cup of ammonia in a big garbage bag. Haven't yoose ever heard of
"huffing"? Never use ammonia and/or chlorine bleach in your
dishwasher or for hand washing.. chlorine bleach shouldn't be used for
laundry either. Household glass cleaners no longer contain ammonia,
now they contain mild and safe acids like citric and vinegar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:57:13 -0400, Polly Esther wrote
(in article >):

> I don't see here that anyone has mentioned ammonia. I seem to have
> collected a lot of glass: apothecary, bell jars, dome cake covers,
> terrarium covers ... madness I reckon. When I want them to sparkle, I add a
> capful of ammonia to a sinkful of the hottest water I can get, put on my
> gloves, don my mask and give 'em a soak, wipe and rinse.
> Maybe a little ammonia added to your routine would help. Protect
> yourself - it's not kind to skin or noses but it surely does clean. And
> Lee. You can leave your dishes in the sink to soak anytime you want/need
> to. It is your sink. There are no Sink Police. None that we want to meet
> anyway. Polly

Hi, Polly Esther,
We've met before on another NG. Nice to meet again.

I collect bottles and colored glass. I clean them with ammonia, as you
suggest. As far as the dishes go, I could really leave them in the sink
until I run out of dishes, but I don't because arthritis in my back doesn't
allow me to stand at the sink for more than 15 minutes.

Giusi was able to tell me what the problem was and I guess the only real
solution is a water softener. Adding more detergent to the water did seem to
help.

I am glad I finally asked here for help. Not knowing what was wrong was
really annoying.

--
Lee
Park Ridge NJ
rarebirdyatverizondotnet

Member

Baking soda and vinegar top the list of thrifty household staples. I've shared tips for many other versatile products, such as baby oil, witch hazel, cornstarch, Borax, dryer sheets, and Fels-Naptha, to name a few. Sometimes specific brands have more flexibility to perform a variety of tasks. One example is original blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. Its grease-cutting properties make it useful for more than just dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lee" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have tried many liquid dish washing products and found that they all
> leave
> my sink and sponges slimy. If I leave the dishes in soapy water,
> overnight,
> the dishes are covered with with a film, I call dust, by the next morning.
> Does anyone know of any hand dish washing products that will give me a
> feeling of fresh and clean when it is in my sink and that does not cause
> me
> so much extra work?
>
> Thanks from a long time lurker.

Sounds like you have very, very soft water. Water with very low mineral
content will leave that oily feeling behind when you use detergents.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul MORON. Cook" > wrote:

>"Lee" > wrote in message
m...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have tried many liquid dish washing products and found that they all
>> leave
>> my sink and sponges slimy. If I leave the dishes in soapy water,
>> overnight,
>> the dishes are covered with with a film, I call dust, by the next morning.
>> Does anyone know of any hand dish washing products that will give me a
>> feeling of fresh and clean when it is in my sink and that does not cause
>> me
>> so much extra work?
>>
>> Thanks from a long time lurker.

>Sounds like you have very, very soft water. Water with very low mineral
>content will leave that oily feeling behind when you use detergents.
>
>Paul MORON!

You guessed it back asswords, MORON!