FoodBanter.com

-   -   Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/407964-vanilla-pudding-whipped-cream.html)

Christopher M.[_2_] 31-05-2011 06:15 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream

The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Christopher M.[_2_] 31-05-2011 06:16 PM

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped
> cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the
> cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

I guess some people add milk powder too. Maybe that thickens it up.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

merryb 31-05-2011 06:50 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/cremeanglaise/pastry cream

On May 31, 10:15*am, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

sf[_9_] 31-05-2011 06:56 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream

On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:16:24 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> "Christopher M." > wrote in message
> > The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped
> > cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the
> > cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

> I guess some people add milk powder too. Maybe that thickens it up.

How did you use it?

sf[_9_] 31-05-2011 07:01 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On May 31, 10:15*am, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
> > The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> > It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> > to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!
> >
> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> with heavy cream and beat well...

Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. How do you use it?

Steve Freides[_2_] 31-05-2011 07:55 PM

merryb wrote:
> On May 31, 10:15 am, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
>> whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
>> running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
>> soon. Balls!
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> with heavy cream and beat well...

It's better, IMHO, if you do what the OP did - make pudding per package
directions, then fold in whipped cream.

My wife and I used to do this regularly with chocolate pudding - we
thought it tasted like chocolate mousse, so we called it Chocolate Elk.
Even with instant chocolate pudding, it still tasted great.

-S-

merryb 31-05-2011 09:04 PM

On May 31, 11:01*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> > On May 31, 10:15*am, "Christopher M." >
> > wrote:
> > > The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> > > It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> > > to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

> > > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> > with heavy cream and beat well...

> Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. *How do you use it?
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Usually for cream puffs or eclairs...

Christopher M.[_2_] 31-05-2011 11:09 PM

merryb wrote:
> On May 31, 10:15 am, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
>> whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
>> running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
>> soon. Balls!
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> with heavy cream and beat well...

Cool. I'll try that. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

merryb 31-05-2011 11:12 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/cremeanglaise/pastry cream

On May 31, 3:09*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > On May 31, 10:15 am, "Christopher M." >
> > wrote:
> >> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
> >> whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
> >> running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
> >> soon. Balls!

> >> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> > with heavy cream and beat well...

> Cool. I'll try that. Thanks.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old bakery trick...

[email protected] 31-05-2011 11:50 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/cremeanglaise/pastry cream

On May 31, 1:15*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

Nancy2 01-06-2011 03:55 PM

On May 31, 5:50*pm, " > wrote:
> On May 31, 1:15*pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>
> > The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> > It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> > to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

> > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

What does that do - anything other than thicken it up? My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

N.

Giusi 01-06-2011 05:11 PM

"Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

[email protected] 01-06-2011 06:42 PM

On Jun 1, 10:55*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 31, 5:50*pm, " > wrote:
>
> > On May 31, 1:15*pm, "Christopher M." >
> > wrote:

> > > The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
> > > It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
> > > to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

> > > W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> > Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

> What does that do - anything other than thicken it up? *My supermarket
> bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....
>
> N.

It allows it to set up so you can put it in a mold. Charlotte Russe
is made with Bavarian cream.

Goomba[_2_] 01-06-2011 07:57 PM

Giusi wrote:
> "Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> My supermarket
> bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....
>
> It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and never
having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. Sooooooo sad!!

merryb 01-06-2011 08:10 PM

On Jun 1, 11:57*am, Goomba > wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
> > "Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > * My supermarket
> > bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> > white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

> > It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

> Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
> supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
> stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and never
> having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. *Sooooooo sad!!

Yup- the old "Bavarian in a bucket"- yuk!!

Christopher M.[_2_] 01-06-2011 08:11 PM

Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 31, 5:50 pm, " > wrote:
>> On May 31, 1:15 pm, "Christopher M." >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
>>> whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
>>> running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
>>> soon. Balls!

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

> What does that do - anything other than thicken it up? My supermarket
> bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....
>
> N.

I love it too. I buy vanilla-cream donuts, maybe once a week. I'm guessing
the filling is mostly powdered sugar and crisco, and a little milk.

They're not all the same though. Some are better than others. There's
another donut place that makes a vanilla cream filling that has a lot of air
in it.

Sometimes I buy a puff pastry dessert with a different vanilla cream that's
more like a gel. I guess they add gelatin to it.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Christopher M.[_2_] 01-06-2011 08:13 PM

Goomba wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> My supermarket
>> bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very,
>> very white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....
>>
>> It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.
>>

> Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
> supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
> stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and
> never having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. Sooooooo sad!!

Sometimes I make Bavarian/Boston Cream pocket pies. I dip them in a
chocolate-flavored glaze made with cocoa, milk, and powdered sugar.

Hostess made a Boston Cream pocket pie years ago.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Nancy2 01-06-2011 08:55 PM

On Jun 1, 11:11*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> * My supermarket
> bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....
>
> It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

Hmmm, we used that in 4-H to demonstrate cake decorating. Still, it
doesn't have the mouth feel of something with Crisco in it....

N.

gloria.p 01-06-2011 10:11 PM

On 5/31/2011 12:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> On May 31, 10:15 am, "Christopher >
>> wrote:
>>> The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
>>> It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
>>> to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!
>>>
>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
>> with heavy cream and beat well...

> Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. How do you use it?

There's nothing decadent about instant pudding, no way, no how. :-P

gloria p

sf[_9_] 01-06-2011 10:45 PM

Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:11:42 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

> On 5/31/2011 12:01 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> > wrote:

> >> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> >> with heavy cream and beat well...

> > Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. How do you use it?
> >

> There's nothing decadent about instant pudding, no way, no how. :-P

The cream is decadent.

merryb 01-06-2011 10:58 PM

On Jun 1, 2:11*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> On 5/31/2011 12:01 PM, sf wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT), >
> > wrote:

> >> Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
> >> with heavy cream and beat well...

> > Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. *How do you use it?

> There's nothing decadent about instant pudding, no way, no how. * *:-P
>
> gloria p- Hide quoted text -

It is what it is...

[email protected] 01-06-2011 11:00 PM

On Jun 1, 2:57*pm, Goomba > wrote:
> Giusi wrote:
> > "Nancy2" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > * My supermarket
> > bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
> > white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

> > It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

> Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
> supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
> stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and never
> having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. *Sooooooo sad!!

Why does Crisco get such a bum rap? It's just fat. Sometimes you
need a fat that doesn't have any flavor of its own. The key is to
have some type of emulsifying agent so the product doesn't have a
greasy feel to it. Here's a recipe for creme filling. It's better
the second day when the sugar has had a chance to fully dissolve and
the flavors come together.

2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Crisco
2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine flour, milk, and salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium
heat until it comes to a boil and thickens. It should look like a
lump of library paste. Let cool. With an electric mixer, beat sugar,
Crisco, and vanilla for 5 full minutes. Add the thickened milk and
flour mixture and beat 5 more minutes.