Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grind and brew coffee makers opinions?

Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
it. thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/05/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> it. thanks

One thing to think about is the life of your grinder/brewer when one of
those two functions craps out. If you have a coffee maker that dies you
can replace it. If your grinder dies you can replace that. If one or the
other in a dual machine bites the dust, you have to replace both.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> it. thanks

I've always ground frozen beans just before using in my 15 year old Mr
Coffee drip pot. A drip pot, IMHO, is the only way to go but I prefer
not to keep an opened package of beans at room temperature. I did once
have a combined grinder/pot but I never liked it even if was a mill
rather than a fast rotating blade.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:26:49 -0700 (PDT), pamjd >
wrote:

>Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>it. thanks

I have the Cuisinart DGB-900BC Coffee Maker, Grind & Brew 12-Cup
Thermal Automatic.
Just fill the hopper with coffee beans and you are good to go.

I've had it for about 3 years and it's still going strong. The only
negative I see is that it is noisy. Some people could have a problem
with that, for me, it's an alarm clock.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 5/28/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
>> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>> it. thanks

> I've always ground frozen beans just before using in my 15 year old Mr
> Coffee drip pot. A drip pot, IMHO, is the only way to go but I prefer not
> to keep an opened package of beans at room temperature. I did once have a
> combined grinder/pot but I never liked it even if was a mill rather than a
> fast rotating blade.
>
> James Silverton, Potomac

I burr grind frozen beans every morning as well. Roasted coffee beans
oxidize when they sit exposed to the air at room temperature. The morning
brew goes into a thermal pot for the remainder of the day.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 10:34*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 28/05/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
>
> > Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? *Before I spend
> > the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> > it. *thanks

> One thing to think about is the life of your grinder/brewer when one of
> those two functions craps out. If you have a coffee maker that dies you
> can replace it. If your grinder dies you can replace that. If one or the
> other in a dual machine bites the dust, you have to replace both.

Hear, hear. My cousin had one - said the coffee was no better and it
was one more thing to store and break down.

Go with simple - I use a French press - nothing electrical to
breakdown, easy to clean and store. I have a one cupper, and a four.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 10:26*pm, wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:26:49 -0700 (PDT), pamjd >
> wrote:
>
> >Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? *Before I spend
> >the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> >it. *thanks

> I have the Cuisinart DGB-900BC Coffee Maker, Grind & Brew 12-Cup
> Thermal Automatic.
> Just fill the hopper with coffee beans and you are good to go.
>
> I've had it for about 3 years and it's still going strong. The only
> negative I see is that it is noisy. Some people could have a problem
> with that, for me, it's an alarm clock.

The grinder function on my Grind & Brew died at about 3 years and I
continued to use it for several more, but it was always a hassle to
clean either way. Plus, it did waste more coffee that I was
completely comfortable with. I never used the timer function.

> koko

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 22:34:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 28/05/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
>> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>> it. thanks

>One thing to think about is the life of your grinder/brewer when one of
>those two functions craps out. If you have a coffee maker that dies you
>can replace it. If your grinder dies you can replace that. If one or the
>other in a dual machine bites the dust, you have to replace both.

Spot on.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd > wrote:

>Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>it.

None of those all in ones have a quality grinder... you're far better
off buying separate appliances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> pamjd > wrote:
>>
>>Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>>the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>>it.

> None of those all in ones have a quality grinder... you're far better
> off buying separate appliances.

I think they all, regardless of brand have that flat burr assembly made in
China. Those burrs wear out after so much use, and I don't think can be
replaced. I've worn out two Cuisinart burr grinders. Also they don't grind
very well, there's too much heat, and not enough uniformity.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> it. thanks

Once your coffee is automatically made it starts to breakdown from the
warming heat on the bottom. You want to brew it and put the coffee into a
thermal pot, which will retain good coffee taste throughout the day. Best is
a conical burr, which grinds slowly and produces a uniform particle.
Integrated machines don't have that. Finally, leaving coffee exposed to the
air ongoing, as you may be doing oxidizes it and lessens any fresh tasting
flavor.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

which is the reason we have never purchased one of these, bunn coffee maker,
series of grinders/buy ground, Lee
"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 28/05/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
>> Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? Before I spend
>> the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
>> it. thanks

> One thing to think about is the life of your grinder/brewer when one of
> those two functions craps out. If you have a coffee maker that dies you
> can replace it. If your grinder dies you can replace that. If one or the
> other in a dual machine bites the dust, you have to replace both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 5:55*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> Best is
> a conical burr, which grinds slowly and produces a uniform particle.

Yep, I use the old cast iron, hand-cranked grinder that I bought new
thirty-something years ago. An English Spong, though I think what
looked like the same machine was later sold under the Salter name.
Since I make my breakfast coffee the original way, requiring a powder-
fine grind, I appreciate the ability to screw the pressure up.

LW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 02:11:12 -0500, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote:

>> I wanted a Technivorm, but they are just too damn pricey.,
>>
>> Boron
>>

>I've had a Technivorm for several years. They're really not very well made
>or well designed but they do have water that's actually hot enough to brew
>coffee properly. I would recommend a Newco over a Technivorm. They're not
>pretty but they're hot enough, better made and slightly cheaper. I can
>usually make a better cup of coffee with my Aeropress with a Coava disc
>installed. Even better is the 'Cafe Crema' that I make using my Rancilio
>Silvia espresso machine. This is very common in Europe but almost unknown
>here. I use about 20 g of coffee ground finer than drip and coarser than
>espresso and do a 25 second pull that makes about 8 oz of fairly stout,
>very tasty coffee with a bit of crema on the top. The trick is geting the
>grind right. The fact that Miss Silvia has an after-market PID controller
>for the boiler temp doesn't hurt either. But I digress. Look at the Newcos
>before you spring for a Technivorm.

I'd almost be embarrassed telling you how many different coffee makers
I have, from simple Vietnamese and Aeropress sorts, various cones and
presses, several vac/siphon systems, automatic drips and right up to
a La Pavoni espresso machine. Heaven knows I do not need another
coffee maker of any sort whatsoever. Need never enters into these
purchases. I collect the damn things.

I do, though, have my eye out for a new roaster, but my old and well
used Hearthware, so ancient it is from the days when they were
decently made, has never given any trouble in almost a decade. Its
only problem is its limited capacity. I'd get a Behmor, but I prefer a
damnably dark roast (except for Cea's fabulous Kona from Smith Farms).

Thanks for the info on the Newco.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:34*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 28/05/2011 10:26 PM, pamjd wrote:
>
> > Do you have and enjoy a grind and brew coffee maker? *Before I spend
> > the money on one I thought I would ask who has one and how they like
> > it. *thanks

> One thing to think about is the life of your grinder/brewer when one of
> those two functions craps out. If you have a coffee maker that dies you
> can replace it. If your grinder dies you can replace that. If one or the
> other in a dual machine bites the dust, you have to replace both.

Good point. Bundling anything is subject to this type of failure. I
used to work for 1800-Comcast, and of course Comcast was big on
getting people to bundle their TV, phone and internet ostensibly to
"save money!" HA! Not only is it not saving you money, but when the
service craps out, there you are with no TV, no phone AND no Internet!

I have an old Mr Coffee drip coffee maker and a $20 coffee slicer.
Either one craps out on me, I replace it and I'm caffeinated once
again! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2011 3:01 AM, BubbaBob wrote:
> James > wrote:
>

>> I've always ground frozen beans just before using in my 15 year old Mr
>> Coffee drip pot. A drip pot, IMHO, is the only way to go but I prefer
>> not to keep an opened package of beans at room temperature. I did once
>> have a combined grinder/pot but I never liked it even if was a mill
>> rather than a fast rotating blade.
>>

> The very worst thing you can do with frozen beans is expose them to the air
> before they're at room temperature. Moisture condenses on them and kills
> the flavor VERY quickly.

I don't know about what time interval you are thinking about when you
say "quickly". I grind the frozen beans for about 40 seconds, place them
in the filter and start the coffee maker almost immediately. Perhaps, I
spend about a minute and a half from removing the beans from the freezer
to the onset of brewing. Any flavor leached out by water condensing on
the cold ground beans goes into the coffee, anyway.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> BubbaBob wrote:
>
>> The very worst thing you can do with frozen beans is expose them to the air
>> before they're at room temperature. Moisture condenses on them and kills
>> the flavor VERY quickly.
>>

> I don't know about what time interval you are thinking about when you
> say "quickly". I grind the frozen beans for about 40 seconds, place them
> in the filter and start the coffee maker almost immediately. Perhaps, I
> spend about a minute and a half from removing the beans from the freezer
> to the onset of brewing. Any flavor leached out by water condensing on
> the cold ground beans goes into the coffee, anyway.

I had a coffee machine that ground the beans immediately before it
started dripping the hot water on them. The noise of the grinder could
wake the dead so I thought it might make a good alarm clock as it had a
timed start for the grind. Two birds with one stone. Wake me up and
make me coffee.

I tried it as an alarm clock exactly once. At night I poured the beans
from the freezer into the grinder, set the timer and went to bed. In
the morning it woke me up on time. Everyone else in range as well. The
problem was it stored hot water near the fresh beans with a tube between
them and it had all night for evaporating water to screw up the beans.
The coffee was as bad as instant. I switched back to an alarm clock and
stumbling into the kitchen to put beans in the machine immediately
before the grind. In the end I gave up on a machine that loud.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:40:28 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 6/2/2011 3:01 AM, BubbaBob wrote:
>> James > wrote:
>>

>>> I've always ground frozen beans just before using in my 15 year old Mr
>>> Coffee drip pot. A drip pot, IMHO, is the only way to go but I prefer
>>> not to keep an opened package of beans at room temperature. I did once
>>> have a combined grinder/pot but I never liked it even if was a mill
>>> rather than a fast rotating blade.
>>>

>> The very worst thing you can do with frozen beans is expose them to the air
>> before they're at room temperature. Moisture condenses on them and kills
>> the flavor VERY quickly.
>>

>I don't know about what time interval you are thinking about when you
>say "quickly". I grind the frozen beans for about 40 seconds, place them
>in the filter and start the coffee maker almost immediately. Perhaps, I
>spend about a minute and a half from removing the beans from the freezer
>to the onset of brewing. Any flavor leached out by water condensing on
>the cold ground beans goes into the coffee, anyway.

Don't pay any attention to the koffee kooks... the only important
element about brewing coffee is the quality of the water, without
quality water nothing else matters.... you can buy any store brand
ground coffee and use any brewing device, so long as the water is pure
it will beat any koffee kook's platinum beans and megabux devices when
they use pond water. And don't let anyone tell you their coffee
tastes better, because TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-02, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> quality water nothing else matters.... you can buy any store brand
> ground coffee and use any brewing device, so long as the water is pure

You gotta lotta good info, shelly, but on this one yer eyes are the
same color as yer crapy coffee.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 4:26*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:40:28 -0400, James Silverton
>

> > wrote:

> >> The very worst thing you can do with frozen beans is expose them to the air
> >> before they're at room temperature. Moisture condenses on them and kills
> >> the flavor VERY quickly.

> >I don't know about what time interval you are thinking about when you
> >say "quickly". I grind the frozen beans for about 40 seconds, place them
> >in the filter and start the coffee maker almost immediately. Perhaps, I
> >spend about a minute and a half from removing the beans from the freezer
> >to the onset of brewing. *Any flavor leached out by water condensing on
> >the cold ground beans goes into the coffee, anyway.

> Don't pay any attention to the koffee kooks... *the only important
> element about brewing coffee is the quality of the water, without
> quality water nothing else matters.... you can buy any store brand
> ground coffee and use any brewing device, so long as the water is pure
> it will beat any koffee kook's platinum beans and megabux devices when
> they use pond water. *And don't let anyone tell you their coffee
> tastes better, because TIAD.

True Sheldon, and that's why I'm glad I live in STL which has among
the best tap water in the U.S.!

I made a cup of espresso with Rocky Mountain stream water once, from a
tributary stream I camped next to near the Taylor River. I was buying
100% Kona at the time and it was GOOOOD baby! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 1:06*pm, BubbaBob >
wrote:
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
> > I'd almost be embarrassed telling you how many different coffee makers
> > I have, from simple Vietnamese and Aeropress sorts, various cones and
> > presses, several vac/siphon systems, *automatic drips and right up to
> > a La Pavoni espresso machine. Heaven knows I do not need another
> > coffee maker of any sort whatsoever. Need never enters into these
> > purchases. I collect the damn things.

> I collect them, too. I have more than 50 covering at least 100 years of
> brewing history.
>
> I see you have an Aeropress. Have you tried the new Coava steel filter disc
> in yours yet? I recommend it very highly.

I want an Aeropress. An acquaintance on a kayaking message board
suggested them, and I looked them up and they look very cool for
camping. Coava steel disks, eh. Lemme Google those...

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2011 1:52 PM, BubbaBob wrote:
> James > wrote:
>

>> I don't know about what time interval you are thinking about when you
>> say "quickly". I grind the frozen beans for about 40 seconds, place
>> them in the filter and start the coffee maker almost immediately.
>> Perhaps, I spend about a minute and a half from removing the beans
>> from the freezer to the onset of brewing. Any flavor leached out by
>> water condensing on the cold ground beans goes into the coffee,
>> anyway.
>>

> It's the condensation on the beans that you put back in the freezer that's
> the problem, not the conensation on the portion that you're grinding.

In the 30 seconds or so that it takes to measure out the beans...I don't
think so!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/06/2011 9:07 PM, BubbaBob wrote:
> Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
> teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
> annoys the dog.

I bet that you think that comment was ever so witty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-24, BubbaBob > wrote:
> Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
> teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
> annoys the dog.

LOL!..... too true.

Ignore the dolts and enjoy a good cuppa joe.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-06-24, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I bet that you think that comment was ever so witty.

Dave.... not meant to be witty, jes sad but true.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:07:01 -0500, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
>teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
>annoys the dog.

It's singing and a pig, but c good try for an ignoramus.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:07:01 -0500, BubbaBob
> wrote:

> Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
> teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
> annoys the dog.

Perhaps you will figure out how to toddle off to another group to
share your knowledge with and don't let the door hit you in the butt.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2011 9:07 PM, BubbaBob wrote:
> Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
> teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
> annoys the dog.

Isn't that "teaching a pig to sing"? With the same result :-)

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:07:01 -0500, BubbaBob
> wrote:

>Talking about good coffee in this group has always been like trying to
>teach calculus to a dog. They never get even the basics and it apparently
>annoys the dog.

Woof woof!
Cea