Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheapest dozen eggs in your area?

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 21-May-2016, wrote:
>
> > I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed
> > because of the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.

> Last week I bought "house-brand" (Culinaria) one dozen Large Brown
> Free Range eggs for $2.99; sourced in-state (Missouri). These were
> 30 cents more per dozen than the house-brand "factory farmed" white
> shell eggs. Neither are the lowest price in town; IIRC, Aldi had a
> dozen large for $2.19.

Egglands best, sale 1.97 for 18 count. Had a 55cent coupon that
doubled. 87cents for 18 eggs. Sweet!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "l not -l" wrote:
> > On 21-May-2016, wrote:
> >
> >> I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed

> because of >> the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.
> >
> > Last week I bought "house-brand" (Culinaria) one dozen Large Brown
> > Free Range eggs for $2.99; sourced in-state (Missouri). These were
> > 30 cents more per dozen than the house-brand "factory farmed" white
> > shell eggs. Neither are the lowest price in town; IIRC, Aldi had
> > a dozen large for $2.19.

> I can usually buy peewee eggs for 49¢/doz... they're a great bargain
> because two peewees equal one jumbo which translates to buying a dozen
> jumbos for a buck... I don't mind having to crack twice as many eggs.
> http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/411343/egg-size-chart

I'd go for that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think Eggland's best have a funny taste likely due to what they feed the chickens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I think Eggland's best have a funny taste likely due to what they feed the
>chickens.

I'm with you there, I think they use more fish meal since I get a fishy
taste from some.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:52:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>I see old dated posts. Millions of chickens have been destroyed because of the virus. Eggs are all time high in California.

Today, $1.88 for 2 dozen, extra large eggs at Costco
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:11:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

> Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
> best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
> the usual store-bought.

Hubby and I never liked the eggs from my mother's chickens. I don't
like eggs in general and they were way too eggy. Ick.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:11:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
> > Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
> > best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
> > the usual store-bought.

> Hubby and I never liked the eggs from my mother's chickens. I don't
> like eggs in general and they were way too eggy. Ick.

Way too eggy. That's funny!
My inlaws came for a visit once and they brought some eggs from their
own chickens. They were feeding the chickens fish meal.

Next morning, my wife opened and fried a couple of them for me. Nice
deep yellow yolks, etc. I took one bite and literally could not
swallow so I went to the sink and spit them out. Inlaws were there too
waiting to see how much I loved the home farmed eggs. I was the rat
then. Wife and her parents acted offended that I didn't like the
eggs.

Those fried eggs tasted like seafood gone bad. No exaggeration either.
I can normally eat anything but no way was I going to swallow those
eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

>Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
>best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
>the usual store-bought.

I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind. Thing is small
cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
chickens or eggs. However any of the narkets in this town are selling
USDA Inspectied eggs that are less than 24 hours from the chicken. I
do notice that eggs taste slightly different at different times of
year, chicken feed diets are seasonal... even the wild birdseed I buy
(same brand) is somewhat different by season, even smells different...
just two hours ago I bought 150 pounds of cracked corn and 120 pounds
of wild birdseed... I buy enough every year to know it's different by
season, afterall it's a crop. I blend the corn with the seed 50/50 by
volume, keeps the cost down, corn is 1/4 the price. Many wild birds
prefer the corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
>>best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
>>the usual store-bought.

>I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
what their diet is yet.

>Thing is small
>cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>chickens or eggs.

<rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
market egg factory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 May 2016 14:13:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:11:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
> > > best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
> > > the usual store-bought.

> > Hubby and I never liked the eggs from my mother's chickens. I don't
> > like eggs in general and they .were way too eggy. Ick.

> Way too eggy. That's funny!

I don't know how else to describe them. Hubby called them "rich",
which is not a term I agree with - they were definitely not to our
liking. Hubby loves eggs but he didn't love them.

> My inlaws came for a visit once and they brought some eggs from their
> own chickens. They were feeding the chickens fish meal.
>
> Next morning, my wife opened and fried a couple of them for me. Nice
> deep yellow yolks, etc. I took one bite and literally could not
> swallow so I went to the sink and spit them out. Inlaws were there too
> waiting to see how much I loved the home farmed eggs. I was the rat
> then. Wife and her parents acted offended that I didn't like the
> eggs.
>
> Those fried eggs tasted like seafood gone bad. No exaggeration either.
> I can normally eat anything but no way was I going to swallow those
> eggs.

No fish meal feed or fishy flavor. Yolks were at the orange end of
yellow. They ate chicken feed (the corn type) and table scraps +
anything they found to eat in the yard... as cage free chickens do.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-25, Jeßus > wrote:

> Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
> market egg factory.

Sometimes, CAFO eggs are better than organic. I've tried about every
brand organic egg, out there, and have yet to find any as good as the
cheapo sprmkt eggs sold by Kroger. The organic ppl better get their
act together. The organic egg mkt is horrible. The main problem w/
CAFOs is, they produce too much waste.

I've also had home raised eggs. My boss usta bring about 5-6 doz eggs
to work and sell 'em to his ppl. Best eggs I've ever eaten. Have
never found any like them. I shoulda paid more attention. I know he
woulda showed us how he did it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 May 2016 19:46:09 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-05-25, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>> market egg factory.

>Sometimes, CAFO eggs are better than organic.

Sure. Organic is no guarantee of quality.

>I've tried about every
>brand organic egg, out there, and have yet to find any as good as the
>cheapo sprmkt eggs sold by Kroger. The organic ppl better get their
>act together. The organic egg mkt is horrible.

Can't comment on your eggs where you are as we have different rules
and standards. But suffice to say, commercially raised organic or
so-called 'free range' eggs make a mockery of both concepts, even here
in Australia where standards are better than in the U.S.

>The main problem w/
>CAFOs is, they produce too much waste.
>
>I've also had home raised eggs. My boss usta bring about 5-6 doz eggs
>to work and sell 'em to his ppl. Best eggs I've ever eaten. Have
>never found any like them. I shoulda paid more attention. I know he
>woulda showed us how he did it.

A good, well-rounded diet with *lots of fresh green pick* is the
answer. That way you'll get tasty golden yolks. This is where free
ranging can really make a difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 12:13 PM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:11:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
>>> best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
>>> the usual store-bought.

>> Hubby and I never liked the eggs from my mother's chickens. I don't
>> like eggs in general and they were way too eggy. Ick.

> Way too eggy. That's funny!
> My inlaws came for a visit once and they brought some

Why do you think sf gives a rip about any of your suckup little stories,
shitbag?

Go abuse some chickens, you miserable FREAKSHOW!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 1:33 PM, Je�us wrote:
> <rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?

SYFU assbag, you set foot in this country and I'll have you tinned for
the dogs!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 2:15 PM, Je�us wrote:
> A good, well-rounded diet with *lots of fresh green prick* is the
> answer.

What are you, the Michael Jackson of Auzatrdia?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:33:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>>
>>>Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
>>>best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
>>>the usual store-bought.

>>I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

>How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
>grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
>tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
>what their diet is yet.
>
>>Thing is small
>>cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>>department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>>inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>>neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>>chickens or eggs.

><rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>market egg factory.

Simple (for people like you) eggs are produced for reproduction, they
are the same regardless of diet... did you ever **** a chicken... then
shut the **** up, pinhead!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 May 2016 17:46:31 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:33:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

>>How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
>>grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
>>tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
>>what their diet is yet.
>>
>>>Thing is small
>>>cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>>>department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>>>inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>>>neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>>>chickens or eggs.

>><rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>>Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>>market egg factory.

>Simple (for people like you) eggs are produced for reproduction, they
>are the same regardless of diet...

LOL. Spend a minute on google on your assertion and then get back to
me. That is so utterly clueless, even for you.

>did you ever **** a chicken... then
>shut the **** up, pinhead!

LOL, you're a silly, ineffectual old man Shelly.
Have another drink and come up with another one of your old fart
rants, please!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 3:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:33:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:

>>> I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

>> How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
>> grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
>> tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
>> what their diet is yet.
>>
>>> Thing is small
>>> cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>>> department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>>> inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>>> neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>>> chickens or eggs.

>> <rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>> Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>> market egg factory.

> Simple (for people like you) eggs are produced for reproduction, they
> are the same regardless of diet... did you ever **** a chicken... then
> shut the **** up, pinhead!

Of course he had "relations" with a chicken.

That's why the bunny gets it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsfoiO1KFw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 3:59 PM, Je�us wrote:
> LOL, you're a silly, ineffectual old man Shelly.

And you're one tyre iron to the head away from making the jackals happy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:11:31 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source.
> > > The best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste
> > > better than the usual store-bought.

> > Hubby and I never liked the eggs from my mother's chickens. I don't
> > like eggs in general and they were way too eggy. Ick.

> Way too eggy. That's funny!
> My inlaws came for a visit once and they brought some eggs from their
> own chickens. They were feeding the chickens fish meal.
>
> Next morning, my wife opened and fried a couple of them for me. Nice
> deep yellow yolks, etc. I took one bite and literally could not
> swallow so I went to the sink and spit them out. Inlaws were there too
> waiting to see how much I loved the home farmed eggs. I was the rat
> then. Wife and her parents acted offended that I didn't like the
> eggs.
>
> Those fried eggs tasted like seafood gone bad. No exaggeration either.
> I can normally eat anything but no way was I going to swallow those
> eggs.

Reminds me of the local chicken meat in Hawaii. Most of us are used to
grain fed but not rice fed. The stuff smelled 'off' when raw. I
learned to get only mainland chicken there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:33:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>>
>>>Truly, it is. This is the first time I have had a steady source. The
>>>best thing about it all is that the eggs really do taste better than
>>>the usual store-bought.

>>I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

>How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
>grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
>tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
>what their diet is yet.
>
>>Thing is small
>>cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>>department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>>inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>>neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>>chickens or eggs.

><rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>market egg factory.

Oh, dear gods on high...I am so glad that man is in the kill file.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2016 4:30 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> ><rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>> >Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>> >market egg factory.
>> >

> Oh, dear gods on high...I am so glad that man is in the kill file.

And you think that will make any difference to him?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 May 2016 18:30:40 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2016 05:33:03 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 May 2016 15:17:59 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>I'd say that they taste better is all in your mind.

>>How in the hell can you know that? If the chickens get things like
>>grass and food scraps in their diets, they're likely to have better
>>tasting eggs than those just fed on grain and pellets. You don't know
>>what their diet is yet.
>>
>>>Thing is small
>>>cottage operations are not inspected by the USDA or any health
>>>department... where I live one can keep up to 500 chickens before
>>>inspection becomes manditory. I can buy eggs from several of my
>>>neighbors but I don't because I know they are not inspected, neither
>>>chickens or eggs.

>><rolls eyes>, this is like your ground meat phobia, is it?
>>Boron's friend has a few chickens, not some underhanded evil black
>>market egg factory.
>>

>Oh, dear gods on high...I am so glad that man is in the kill file.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 27 May 2016 11:06:57 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >, cshenk1
> > @cox.net says...

> really do >> > > > > taste better than the usual store-bought.

> I >> > > > don't like eggs in general and they were way too eggy.
> Ick. >> > >

> of >> > the fishiness. Don't buy fish then, dude.
> >>
> >> Hi Bruce, can you post a recipe of Japanese origin where they do

> that? >> Not a Western adaption. I've not seen that done there.
> >
> > No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was no
> > recipe.

> soaking meat in milk is common. Google it.
> Janet US

Of course it is Janet, just not that comon in Japan which makes sense.

They do consume dairy there, just not that much. Nothing wrong though
with Bruce seeing a challange show with unusual ingredients, where milk
was used to reduce a specific fish type down. Shark and such would be
natural for that treatment as it leeches out the ammonia natural to the
fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 May 2016 09:47:16 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Fri, 27 May 2016 11:06:57 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > In article >, cshenk1
>> > @cox.net says...

>> really do >> > > > > taste better than the usual store-bought.

>> I >> > > > don't like eggs in general and they were way too eggy.
>> Ick. >> > >

>> of >> > the fishiness. Don't buy fish then, dude.

>> that? >> Not a Western adaption. I've not seen that done there.
>> >
>> > No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was no
>> > recipe.

>> soaking meat in milk is common. Google it.
>> Janet US

>Of course it is Janet, just not that comon in Japan which makes sense.
>
>They do consume dairy there, just not that much. Nothing wrong though
>with Bruce seeing a challange show with unusual ingredients, where milk
>was used to reduce a specific fish type down. Shark and such would be
>natural for that treatment as it leeches out the ammonia natural to the
>fish.

I was responding to Bruce about the practice in general, not specific
to Japanese fish. I know nothing about Japanese fish.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 28 May 2016 09:47:16 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Janet B wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk1 >> > @cox.net says...

> says... >> >> > >

> >> really do >> > > > > taste better than the usual store-bought.

> chickens. >> I >> > > > don't like eggs in general and they were way
> too eggy. >> Ick. >> > >

> rid >> of >> > the fishiness. Don't buy fish then, dude.

> >> that? >> Not a Western adaption. I've not seen that done there.

> no >> > recipe.
> >>
> >> soaking meat in milk is common. Google it.
> >> Janet US

> > Of course it is Janet, just not that comon in Japan which makes
> > sense.
> >
> > They do consume dairy there, just not that much. Nothing wrong
> > though with Bruce seeing a challange show with unusual ingredients,
> > where milk was used to reduce a specific fish type down. Shark and
> > such would be natural for that treatment as it leeches out the
> > ammonia natural to the fish.

> I was responding to Bruce about the practice in general, not specific
> to Japanese fish. I know nothing about Japanese fish.
> Janet US

Ah ok. Your reply was literally to my post so a little confusing due
to that.

Japanese fish aren't different from any pacific type but the
preparation tends to work with the the idea of a small grill or a
steamer or a small burner. More modern kitchens now have small ovens
with a 3 burner range top in Japan but thats probably 1/4 of the
population? They were 16-18 inches across and the oven part was a
little under 14 inches inside.

LOL, your normal USA type pizza had to be cut in half and cooked in 2
parts as it didn't fit otherwise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >, cshenk1
> > @cox.net says...

> > > Hi Bruce, can you post a recipe of Japanese origin where they do
> > > that? Not a Western adaption. I've not seen that done there.

> > No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was no
> > recipe.

> Ok! Fair game! I just don't recall seeing it but that doesnt mean it
> didnt come over in some places. The Japanese are fairly high on the
> lactose intolerant side and generally *like* fishiness in fish ;-)

I always get the impression from Iron Chef that the Japanese have the
taste buds of old western folk. High standards, yes, but everything has
to have a low flavour profile. No spice, not too much garlic, nothing
that rocks the boat. Am I wrong?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 May 2016 20:11:19 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>In article >, cshenk1
says...

>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> > In article >, cshenk1
>> > @cox.net says...

>> > No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was no
>> > recipe.

>> Ok! Fair game! I just don't recall seeing it but that doesnt mean it
>> didnt come over in some places. The Japanese are fairly high on the
>> lactose intolerant side and generally *like* fishiness in fish ;-)

>I always get the impression from Iron Chef that the Japanese have the
>taste buds of old western folk. High standards, yes, but everything has
>to have a low flavour profile. No spice, not too much garlic, nothing
>that rocks the boat. Am I wrong?

Iron Chef exemplifies TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Tue, 31 May 2016 20:11:19 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, cshenk1
> says...

> >> Ok! Fair game! I just don't recall seeing it but that doesnt mean it
> >> didnt come over in some places. The Japanese are fairly high on the
> >> lactose intolerant side and generally *like* fishiness in fish ;-)

> >I always get the impression from Iron Chef that the Japanese have the
> >taste buds of old western folk. High standards, yes, but everything has
> >to have a low flavour profile. No spice, not too much garlic, nothing
> >that rocks the boat. Am I wrong?

> Iron Chef exemplifies TIAD.

You're mentally too old for foreign cultures. Stick with hospital food
from the 50s.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2016 12:11 AM, Bruce wrote:
> In article >, cshenk1
> @cox.net says...
>>
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> In article >, cshenk1
>>> @cox.net says...

>>> No, I saw it mentioned on Japanese Iron Chef episodes. There was no
>>> recipe.

>> Ok! Fair game! I just don't recall seeing it but that doesnt mean it
>> didnt come over in some places. The Japanese are fairly high on the
>> lactose intolerant side and generally *like* fishiness in fish ;-)

> I always get the impression from Iron Chef that the Japanese have the
> taste buds of old western folk. High standards, yes, but everything has
> to have a low flavour profile. No spice, not too much garlic, nothing
> that rocks the boat. Am I wrong?

The Japanese don't have much of a history of herbs & spice. They do use
a lot of fermented foods as flavoring though. The flavors that most
exemplifies Japan food is katsuobushi, shoyu, and miso. That's just my
opinion. Most Hawaiian style cooks aren't into H & S either.