Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Some info about cooking lentils required

Seems suprisingly difficult to find this out. Dried lentils, small ones that
don't need cooking. I want to cook them in the pot with some other things to
make a casserole - I don't want to boil them in plenty of water and drain
them then add them.

What is a sensible amount by weight for lentils per person?

What is the proportion of liquid to lentils required to cook them without
either drying out or leaving them too wet?

Does that make sense? If I am cooking rice for instance I know I need 300g
of dry rice for four people and that that rice needs 450g or ml water to
cook through. I could guess that lentils might be similar but I would like
to know for sure.

Tim W

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tim W" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Seems suprisingly difficult to find this out. Dried lentils, small ones
> that don't need cooking. I want to cook them in the pot with some other
> things to make a casserole - I don't want to boil them in plenty of water
> and drain them then add them.

I don't think you can make one rule because they cook differently. Also
appetites are different and a lot depends on whether there's also meat or
not. For 4 people I probably would guess 250 g dry, but I could be wrong! I
never just stick them in water and boil them, either, but do a soffrito of
carrot, onion and celery cut fine and fried in oil, then the lentils, water
and salt go in. When those are cooked, I use them in all the various ways
one does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 9:47*am, "Tim W" > wrote:
> Seems suprisingly difficult to find this out. Dried lentils, small ones that
> don't need cooking. I want to cook them in the pot with some other things to
> make a casserole - I don't want to boil them in plenty of water and drain
> them then add them.

What kind of dried lentils don't need cooking? But you write later
that you want to cook them, so I don't really get it.

> What is a sensible amount by weight for lentils per person?

That depends on what else there is to eat.

> What is the proportion of liquid to lentils required to cook them without
> either drying out or leaving them too wet?

I cook them as I do rice, one part (volume) dry lentils, two parts
water, slow simmer. In fact, I often mix brown rice and lentils and
cook them together. Complete protein!

> Does that make sense? If I am cooking rice for instance I know I need 300g
> of dry rice for four people and that that rice needs 450g or ml water to
> cook through. I could guess that lentils might be similar but I would like
> to know for sure.

That seems right to me.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message

What kind of dried lentils don't need cooking? But you write later
that you want to cook them, so I don't really get it.

I typoed - I meant they don't need soaking, but you knew that didn't you?

Tim W

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 10:12*am, "Tim W" > wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" > wrote in message

> What kind of dried lentils don't need cooking? But you write later
> that you want to cook them, so I don't really get it.
>
> I typoed - I meant they don't need soaking, but you knew that didn't you?

That was one of the things I guessed. There were others. No sarcasm
intended.

Lentils are pretty fragile. Overcooked, they tend to behave like split
peas. There's another thread on that. I never soaked lentils or knew
anyone who did. Lentil soup is a favorite of mine.

Jerry
--
I know what you say. I can only guess what you mean. --- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tim W wrote:
> "Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
>
> What kind of dried lentils don't need cooking? But you write later
> that you want to cook them, so I don't really get it.
>
> I typoed - I meant they don't need soaking, but you knew that didn't you?
>
> Tim W

I had no idea what you meant :-/

I buy the cheap greenish-brown lentils and cook them to make something
like chili. A half a pound of dried lentils to a quart of beef broth
is about right. Add ancho and New Mexico chile peppers, cumin,
onions, garlic, oregano, and a can of tomatoes.

-Bob