Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unintended substituion

Often on Sunday I have a brunchish meal of oatmeal with a bit of
cinnamon and nutmeg, with some brown sugar on top. So I made some
today, with bonus sliced ripe banana. As I was eating it, I thought it
tasted odd. Not cinnamon-y. And sort of hot.

Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.

Brian
--
Day 836 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 22, 10:32*am, "Default User" > wrote:
> Often on Sunday I have a brunchish meal of oatmeal with a bit of
> cinnamon and nutmeg, with some brown sugar on top. So I made some
> today, with bonus sliced ripe banana. As I was eating it, I thought it
> tasted odd. Not cinnamon-y. And sort of hot.
>
> Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
> sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.
>
> Brian
> --
> Day 836 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
> Current music playing: None.

so....how was it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2011 12:32 PM, Default User wrote:
> Often on Sunday I have a brunchish meal of oatmeal with a bit of
> cinnamon and nutmeg, with some brown sugar on top. So I made some
> today, with bonus sliced ripe banana. As I was eating it, I thought it
> tasted odd. Not cinnamon-y. And sort of hot.
>
> Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
> sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.
>

> Brian

Don't feel bad, my wife picked up the cayenne container, which sat
beside the cinnamon container at the time, put about a half-teaspoon of
cayenne on her oatmeal and quickly spat it out. I have since moved the
cayenne to the back of the shelf as we use it so seldom. It only takes
one try to figure out it's not cinnamon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Default User" > wrote:

> Often on Sunday I have a brunchish meal of oatmeal with a bit of
> cinnamon and nutmeg, with some brown sugar on top. So I made some
> today, with bonus sliced ripe banana. As I was eating it, I thought it
> tasted odd. Not cinnamon-y. And sort of hot.
>
> Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
> sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.

So was it good?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/05/2011 2:35 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Don't feel bad, my wife picked up the cayenne container, which sat
> beside the cinnamon container at the time, put about a half-teaspoon of
> cayenne on her oatmeal and quickly spat it out. I have since moved the
> cayenne to the back of the shelf as we use it so seldom. It only takes
> one try to figure out it's not cinnamon.

One evening when we had only been married for about a year or so we had
invited my parents for dinner. My wife wanted to try a corn souffle
recipe that she had seen in Gourmet. Knowing that my parents did not
like spicy food she decided not to use the teaspoon of curry powder.
Instead she added either 2 or 3 tsps cayenne. Wow! That had a nip to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Default User" > wrote:
>
> > Often on Sunday I have a brunchish meal of oatmeal with a bit of
> > cinnamon and nutmeg, with some brown sugar on top. So I made some
> > today, with bonus sliced ripe banana. As I was eating it, I thought it
> > tasted odd. Not cinnamon-y. And sort of hot.
> >
> > Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
> > sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.

> So was it good?

That was my question. I keep thinking I want to try it (cayenne on
oatmeal) but never have.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 22/05/2011 2:35 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Don't feel bad, my wife picked up the cayenne container, which sat
>> beside the cinnamon container at the time, put about a half-teaspoon of
>> cayenne on her oatmeal and quickly spat it out. I have since moved the
>> cayenne to the back of the shelf as we use it so seldom. It only takes
>> one try to figure out it's not cinnamon.

> One evening when we had only been married for about a year or so we had
> invited my parents for dinner. My wife wanted to try a corn souffle recipe
> that she had seen in Gourmet. Knowing that my parents did not like spicy
> food she decided not to use the teaspoon of curry powder. Instead she
> added either 2 or 3 tsps cayenne. Wow! That had a nip to it.

LOL! Cayenne does have more nip than most curry powder. Did she like your
parents or was this a Freuidian slip?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Default User" > wrote:

>> > Yes, I had made oatmeal with a bit cayenne and nutmeg, with some brown
>> > sugar on tap. And bonus sliced ripe banana, of course.

>> So was it good?

> That was my question. I keep thinking I want to try it (cayenne on
> oatmeal) but never have.

I wouldn't say that it added much. Cayenne doesn't have a whole lot of
flavor, mostly just heat. With the brown sugar and banana, the cinnamon
would have been a lot better. Still ate it. It wasn't terribly hot.

Brian
--
Day 837 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Current music playing: None.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 May 2011 16:24:18 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 22/05/2011 2:35 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Don't feel bad, my wife picked up the cayenne container, which sat
>> beside the cinnamon container at the time, put about a half-teaspoon of
>> cayenne on her oatmeal and quickly spat it out. I have since moved the
>> cayenne to the back of the shelf as we use it so seldom. It only takes
>> one try to figure out it's not cinnamon.

> One evening when we had only been married for about a year or so we had
> invited my parents for dinner. My wife wanted to try a corn souffle
> recipe that she had seen in Gourmet. Knowing that my parents did not
> like spicy food she decided not to use the teaspoon of curry powder.
> Instead she added either 2 or 3 tsps cayenne. Wow! That had a nip to it.

how'd your folks take to it?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:

>>> So was it good?

>> That was my question. I keep thinking I want to try it (cayenne on
>> oatmeal) but never have.

> I wouldn't say that it added much. Cayenne doesn't have a whole lot of
> flavor, mostly just heat. With the brown sugar and banana, the cinnamon
> would have been a lot better. Still ate it. It wasn't terribly hot.

You could have added cinnamon at that point; cinnamon and cayenne go
together fairly well.

Bob