Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default black or green lentils - difference between these and brown lentils?

Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
care about?

The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:20:14 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?
>
> The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

I haven't used my "beluga" lentils yet, but so far I'm not impressed
enough with the taste differences between types of lentils to spend
significantly more on certain types in the future.

If you like this soup, would you please post the recipe? I am still
looking for something appealing to use those black lentils in and I
like eggplant. TIA

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > ha > Per usual, a recipe specifies black
or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?

I find great differences among lentils, but some don't.Taste is one
difference, staying whole is another, size does make a difference when
strong flavors are used. Try it. If you don't like it so much, don't do it
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/21/2011 09:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?
>
> The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

The main difference I find is cooking time. Red (pink) lentils cook the
quickest, then the regular brown ones, and the green (French) ones take
longest.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 4:12*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 05/21/2011 09:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> > has access to these things. *All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> > ones. *Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> > care about?

> > The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

> The main difference I find is cooking time. Red (pink) lentils cook the
> quickest, then the regular brown ones, and the green (French) ones take
> longest.
>
> Serene
>
> --http://www.momfoodproject.com

So, I deduce that the black also take long like the greenies?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?

There are taste and texture differences, but the length of cooking time
is even more important. Below is a table from one of my packages of
Sabarot brand lentils. Of course, you have to taste the lentils to
determine when they are ready, just as you would taste pasta.
Personally, it would not occur to me to pressure-cook any kind of
lentils. Actual time saved would be negligible.

Boiling Pressure cooking

Lentilles vertes du Puy, 20 min 7 min
French dark green lentils

Lentilles blondes, white 25-30 min 9 min
(actually beige/light brown)
lentils

Lentilles vertes, green 20-25 min 9 min
lentils

Lentilles beluga, black 7 min
beluga lentils

Lentilles corail, red 7 min
lentils

Lentilles brunes, brown 15-20 min 7 min
lentils

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i dunno but after you try it post the recipe, Lee
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?
>
> The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

makes me wonder how many kinds there really are, Lee

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> On 05/21/2011 09:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
>> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
>> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
>> care about?
>>
>> The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

> The main difference I find is cooking time. Red (pink) lentils cook the
> quickest, then the regular brown ones, and the green (French) ones take
> longest.
>
> Serene
>
> --
> http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

interesting, Lee

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
>> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
>> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
>> care about?

> There are taste and texture differences, but the length of cooking time
> is even more important. Below is a table from one of my packages of
> Sabarot brand lentils. Of course, you have to taste the lentils to
> determine when they are ready, just as you would taste pasta.
> Personally, it would not occur to me to pressure-cook any kind of
> lentils. Actual time saved would be negligible.
>
> Boiling Pressure cooking
>
> Lentilles vertes du Puy, 20 min 7 min
> French dark green lentils
>
> Lentilles blondes, white 25-30 min 9 min
> (actually beige/light brown)
> lentils
>
> Lentilles vertes, green 20-25 min 9 min
> lentils
>
> Lentilles beluga, black 7 min
> beluga lentils
>
> Lentilles corail, red 7 min
> lentils
>
> Lentilles brunes, brown 15-20 min 7 min
> lentils
>
> Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/21/2011 03:01 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On May 21, 4:12 pm, Serene > wrote:
>> On 05/21/2011 09:20 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
>>> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
>>> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
>>> care about?

>>> The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

>> The main difference I find is cooking time. Red (pink) lentils cook the
>> quickest, then the regular brown ones, and the green (French) ones take
>> longest.
>>
>> Serene
>>
>> --http://www.momfoodproject.com

> So, I deduce that the black also take long like the greenies?

I dunno. I haven't cooked 'em.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:20:14 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
>has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
>ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
>care about?
>
>The recipe involves eggplant and other veggies.

I like them all, but I won't go out of my way to spend extra for the
black ones again. There are taste differences among the various
colors -- some are more nutty (to me) than others. It's just fun to
have something different once in a while.
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

> I've found no difference in flavor or texture between brown lentils and
> red lentils.

Red lentils fall apart after only 15 minutes of cooking; brown lentils can
go for 30 minutes or more. To say you're unable to tell that difference
means that you have never really made that comparison.

Bob