Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need suggestion for no salt and extremely low salt recipes

it comes to mind that there is a liver and a lamb in baby food i bought for
one of the cats that would work for this...
Lee

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>> Krypsis wrote:

>> I will ask him if he will let me make him stew. I'm sure the canned
>> stuff is high in salt, but I will check just in case. I can cook
>> anything in a crock pot and get it really soft for him. And I can
>> freeze servings to help with variety.

> Main problem with canned is no way to heat it back to safety point.
> Yes, if you read labels carefully you can find many decent sodium deals
> in canned formats on things you may not expect. With his
> refridgeration issues, he can't really stock much up.
>
>> > His ideal salt intake will be a lot lower than you realise and,
>> > without imposing on others, it will be a practical impossibility
>> > under his current living arrangements. You would be doing him a
>> > real favour if you can get him into a situation where he can do
>> > some simple food preparation for himself. His motel lifestyle is
>> > not conducive to that.

>> Yes, I'm sure that right now, his goal needs to be just about zero.
>> I'm pretty sure the meal I made him yesterday was zero, as the cooks
>> didn't anything other than water to the stirfry. And it had steamed
>> rice and unsalted butter.

> Don't go too crazy on that. I'd work on the angle of USDA recommended
> 2,000 MG or so a day first until the Doctor says something. Not all
> conditions are caused by sodium intake and not all people are salt
> reactive. In fact, they suspect most are not. It's just rote dogma
> now to prescribe lower salt. To get a feel for that, ask how many here
> have tried low sodium to control blood pressure to no effect.
>
> For samwiches, you'd be shocked at what you can do with little babyfood
> jars (no salt added is the norm) of various meats. Chopped up salad
> bar things added to it probably works in your situation? Mince as
> needed then mix to a sort of 'pate' then add lettuce and make a samwich
> with black pepper and perhaps some MS Dash. Most spice _mixes_ have
> high sodium but pure ones do not. MS Dash is a sodium 'free' version
> of a mix.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

of course you **** him off and here is why... i will type slow so when he
reads it he might comprehend... and for the record, i won't see his response
if he makes one unless one of you respond to him...
-you **** him off because even though you are a regular person you have cats
and go to cat shows, jealousy i think.
-you are a decent sort and are treating this man like a friend, even though
he is for all intents a customer, and you expect nothing in return... i
think he doesn't understand the concept of a woman doing something because
she actually wants to instead of having to be paid for it.
-he has confused you trying to accomodate a customer, which is finding him
lower salt items for his dinner and lunch with practicing medicine... so you
**** him off because you must use words that confuse his tiny little
brain...

I hope this has cleared up any confusion you may have experienced, and i
hope you can help this guy, vets like this deserve all the breaks they can
get...

Lee
On May 19, 7:01 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> [...]

> >a can of veggies to some rice and an entree, and heating it up for
> >him. Or adding rice to soup. Stuff like that. We normally do not heat
> >non-deli food, but we make an exception for him.

> >Today, I fixed him some rice, with unsalted butter stirred in to
> >replace the gravy. And I had the cooks stir fry some veggies and
> >chicken without any sauce or seasonings. I also chopped it smaller as
> >I normally pick through the entrees for the smaller pieces as he only
> >has 4 teeth. I'm sure it was boring but better than nothing.

> >I am hoping for some suggestions that would keep him at a low salt
> >intake, especially while he gets this under control. I would love to
> >make a nice sauce that I could take and add to rice and a plain entree
> >to give it some flavor.

> >I can make something at home and heat it there if it is more
> >complicated that stuff we make at work. The chinese cooks can make
> >just about any entree I ask for as long as it only uses ingredients we
> >have already. Something like a sauce could be made at home and added
> >if it requires something else.

> >He has a problem chewing due to the teeth, so the only meat we can
> >cook for him is chicken, cut up small. Our beef and pork would be too
> >chewy. I could do something with ground beef at home. He is a bit
> >relunctant to accept food as a gift, but i think this is serious
> >enough that he would accept me cooking it if he paid for it. He does
> >not accept handouts. He protests every year about me giving him a
> >Christmas dinner (but he does accept it ).

> >Sandwich meats are out since they are so high in salt. He loves
> >sandwiches though, so a good alternative would be awesome. I can make
> >hot and cold sandwiches, so I am open to any suggestions. He's not
> >very picky about food, other than the ability to chew it, so that's
> >good. He likes most fruits and veggies. Spicy is fine.

> >He goes back to the doctor again today and a coworker is taking him
> >(so that she can help him ask the right questions and write down the
> >answers). So hopefully, I will have a better idea of diet restrictions
> >and what his ideal daily salt intake will be.

> >He is a really super guy, so I am hoping to keep him around for a long
> >time to come. He can cheer me up on a bad day, and he is always
> >entertaining. He goes to Reno every year for Thanksgiving, and I
> >really miss his daily visits. These days, I worry anytime he misses a
> >day.

> He obviously has medical issues that you haven't a clue about. You
> need to mind your own business, you're not his doctor, his dietician,
> his mother, or his priest... you're a deli clerk, you can't be
> dispensing medical advice to customers. You can lose your job, be
> sued... your employer can be sued. You'd best not serve anyone
> "special diets", if there's some adverse reaction and/or he dies due
> to your practicing medicine as a deli clerk you can be criminally

So I should keep making him sandwiches with highly salted meat even
though he is asking me for low salt food?

How is that medical advice?

Do I **** you off more than most people?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and it harmed no one that you guys helped him, and might have made his last
weeks her more comfortable, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 19 May 2011 18:53:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>She said he lives in a motel and has no microwave. Not sure if he has a
>>>fridge or not. And he has only 4 teeth.

>> Then that's an imaginary friend... too much time watching the Muppets.

> She didn't say he was a friend.
>
> When I worked at K Mart we had a guy named Jack who was somewhat in the
> same boat. I don't know the particulars of where he lived but he seemed
> to have no friends other than the other few regulars we had who always
> seemed to live in the cafeteria. They came when the store opened and left
> usually shortly before it closed. If there was some sort of big news like
> a shoplifter or some crazy person running amuck then they might stay to
> see what was going on. They ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there.
>
> One day Jack was diagnosed with diabetes. He brought in the diet plan
> he'd been given and a log book to write all of his food down in. He
> seemed not to have a clue what to eat or how to record the foods. Up
> until then he had eaten a lot of fried chicken and other fried foods. He
> was overweight and smoked. Never quit smoking.
>
> The cafeteria manager and the others who worked in the cafeteria took pity
> on him, making him the types of meals he should be eating and recording
> what he ate in his log book. This only went on for a few weeks. Then he
> never came back.
>
> Another regular said his health had gone downhill rapidly. He was in the
> hospital and had some toes amputated. Then a leg. And then he was gone.
> I really don't know any more particulars than that.
>
> Sometimes you just have to take pity on people like that. They seem to
> have no friends or family and they aren't really causing anyone any harm.
> Because Jack was always in there, he seemed to know all the current gossip
> and he always knew which employee went where and even where some of the
> customers went. And he did buy things from us. So we were told to put up
> with him and help him when we could.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 May 2011 14:59:31 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> I work in a deli department at a grocery store, and we have a really
>> nice guy who has been coming in for about 15 years. He is a Viet Nam
>> vet, in his 70s, very eccentric, and a bit paranoid. He's a super nice
>> guy who avoids hospitals and cars, won't accept social security, etc.
>> He has had two heart attacks in the past and refused to go to the
>> hospital.
>>
>> He lives in a nearby motel and buses to work downtown every day. The
>> motel won't allow him to have a microwave, hot plate, etc, so he comes
>> by daily for dinner and tomorrow's lunch.
>>

>(snippage)
>
>> So, I am trying to come up with some alternatives that he can eat as
>> he adjusts his daily diet. He normally eats a lot of sandwiches, corn
>> dogs, chicken strips, and chinese food.
>>

>Those things are not exactly heart healthy or low-salt. If the motel won't
>allow him to use a microwave, doesn't have a stove top or allow a hot plate,
>I have absolutely NO idea what to suggest. I'm sure he's a very nice guy
>but this situation sounds impossible for you to maintain for very long.
>Especially not since he seems to need medication but won't go to the VA
>hospital.
>
>> In the past, we have done some adjustments to his food, such as adding
>> a can of veggies to some rice and an entree, and heating it up for
>> him. Or adding rice to soup. Stuff like that. We normally do not heat
>> non-deli food, but we make an exception for him.
>>

>Are you planning to cook for him on a regular basis? You can't adjust
>Chinese takeout to be low-salt... it is what it is. Ditto corndogs, unless
>you plan to buy the sticks and hotdogs and make the batter with low or no
>salt yourself. Deep fried foods probably aren't a good idea either.
>
>I wish I could offer recipe suggestions but it sounds like he needs more
>than just no- or low-salt meals. I do admire your trying to take care of
>him. Best of luck.
>
>Jill

Meals On Wheels is dietician approved... recipients are interviewed
and their doctor contacted prior to setting up a new account for
delivery... they won't do vegetarian, low carb, or kosher but they
will do low salt/fat. And they always serve fresh bananas, that's the
one fresh fruit that doesn't require teeth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

totally disagree, she has already said this guy has shown signs of being
thrown awway, if they involve authorities like the VA she will be seen as
having betrayed him... then he won't even come in an get what help she can
offer... he isn't savable in the sense most of us would like to think of
saving someone, but he can be made a bit more comfortable by her helping
with food choices and he can be made comfortable by knowing these people in
this store care... for what obviously seems a short time from the
description. Lee

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> [...]

> recipes. Granted, her reasons are skewed because she likes this guy and
> wants to help.. But she's not his mother nor should she be trying to feed
> him regularly like a dog. The man definitely has problems she is not
> qualified to address. But if he refuses to go back to the VA (ha) for
> treatment, who are we to judge? Would you rather he wound up living under
> a bridge abutment along I-4- the under a subway tunnel in NYC? At least
> she's trying to help.
>
> I do, however, think it's being done the wrong way. Get the right person
> in the VA (takes lots of phone calls) and you can eventually reach someone
> who cares. They aren't going to carry this man off in chains... it's not
> Olivia DeHavilland in 'The Snake Pit'. They'll find housingmedication,
> food services. There are a lot of options. And I'm a major cynic about

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> On May 20, 11:59 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> I
>> work in a deli department at a grocery store, and we have a really
>> > nice guy who has been coming in for about 15 years. He is a Viet Nam
>> > vet, in his 70s, very eccentric, and a bit paranoid. He's a super nice
>> > guy who avoids hospitals and cars, won't accept social security, etc.
>> > He has had two heart attacks in the past and refused to go to the
>> > hospital.

>> > He lives in a nearby motel and buses to work downtown every day. The
>> > motel won't allow him to have a microwave, hot plate, etc, so he comes
>> > by daily for dinner and tomorrow's lunch.

>> (snippage)
>>
>> > So, I am trying to come up with some alternatives that he can eat as
>> > he adjusts his daily diet. He normally eats a lot of sandwiches, corn
>> > dogs, chicken strips, and chinese food.

>> Those things are not exactly heart healthy or low-salt. If the motel
>> won't
>> allow him to use a microwave, doesn't have a stove top or allow a hot
>> plate,
>> I have absolutely NO idea what to suggest. I'm sure he's a very nice guy
>> but this situation sounds impossible for you to maintain for very long.
>> Especially not since he seems to need medication but won't go to the VA
>> hospital.
>>
>> > In the past, we have done some adjustments to his food, such as adding
>> > a can of veggies to some rice and an entree, and heating it up for
>> > him. Or adding rice to soup. Stuff like that. We normally do not heat
>> > non-deli food, but we make an exception for him.

>> Are you planning to cook for him on a regular basis? You can't adjust
>> Chinese takeout to be low-salt... it is what it is. Ditto corndogs,
>> unless
>> you plan to buy the sticks and hotdogs and make the batter with low or no
>> salt yourself. Deep fried foods probably aren't a good idea either.
>>
>> I wish I could offer recipe suggestions but it sounds like he needs more
>> than just no- or low-salt meals. I do admire your trying to take care of
>> him. Best of luck.
>>
>> Jill

> Wow, that was helpful!

WTF advice did YOU have to offer? She can't help this person unless he
wants to help himself. Doesn't sound like he wants it. He needs to be on
meds but won't go to the VA for benefits. Feeding him low-salt food isn't
going to help the guy. He needs medical attention and a better place to
live than a motel room that doesn't even allow a hot plate. Low salt food
won't save the mans life.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:19:11 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>> charged, and should be.

>You can't be charged with feeding a hungry person. I don't think she's
>doing this on behalf of her employer, either, although her employer condones
>it. Nor is it criminal to try to give him food or recipes. She's not
>"practicing medicine", she's asking for low- and no-salt recipes. Granted,
>her reasons are skewed because she likes this guy and wants to help.. But
>she's not his mother nor should she be trying to feed him regularly like a
>dog. The man definitely has problems she is not qualified to address. But
>if he refuses to go back to the VA (ha) for treatment, who are we to judge?
>Would you rather he wound up living under a bridge abutment along I-4- the
>under a subway tunnel in NYC? At least she's trying to help.
>
>I do, however, think it's being done the wrong way.

Well there you go, you are concurring with me. It's really none of
her business while on her job. From what she's decribed I don't think
he's so bad off anyway, he holds a full time job, pays his rent, and
obviously is receiving proper medical care or he'd not be taking Rx
drugs. I think Lee is just using this guy to put a feather in her
cap... and just exaggerating here to acquire brownie points, in
reality she very likely has very little if anything to do with him...
sounds more like her good deed fantasy. I'm always very skepitcal of
those who boast of their heroism. I doubt this person exists, I think
we are being trolled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 10:19*am, Goomba > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to find already prepapred food in a deli with low salt.
> > I work inthe deli department of a grocery store. He's a customer who
> > comes in every day *to get his dinner and lunch for the next day. I'm
> > trying to find ways to get him something that will meet his new diet.
> > I know it is tough. That is why I am asking. The guy has no way *to
> > cook unless he moves, and *that is not likely to happen. He's very set
> > in his ways.

> I admire you for helping him this way.
> I have seen packages of hard boiled eggs for sale in the dairy case.
> That would give him some protein if sliced up onto some whole wheat
> bread. What about those little foil packs of mayo? It could give him an
> egg sandwich at little trouble. Can you isolate some of the deli cooked
> potatoes and macaroni to doctor up before it gets "deli-fied"?
> Fresh fruit if he can handle the chewing?

I'll check the eggs. If they have salt, I can bring eggs from home.

Our potatoes and macaroni are already prepared, so there is no way to
save them.

> Do you think you can talk him into visiting the VA hospital and letting
> a social worker assess his living situation and perhaps finding him an
> assisted living facility that allows him to have his independence but
> also provides a bit of help with meals and such?

He has stated many times over the years that if he went to the VA,
they would lock him in the psych ward. And they just might. He's a
nice guy and functional. He is not dangerous to anybody and only to
himself in terms of refusing medical assistance. He is paranoid, and
eccentric enough that some people would probably consider him crazy.
He thinks that VA hospital is worse than regular hospitals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 11:59*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > In the past, we have done some adjustments to his food, such as adding
> > a can of veggies to some rice and an entree, and heating it up for
> > him. Or adding rice to soup. Stuff like that. We normally do not heat
> > non-deli food, but we make an exception for him.

> Are you planning to cook for him on a regular basis? *You can't adjust
> Chinese takeout to be low-salt... it is what it is. *Ditto corndogs, unless
> you plan to buy the sticks and hotdogs and make the batter with low or no
> salt yourself. *Deep fried foods probably aren't a good idea either.

The corndogs and other things are out. I think we can manage some
sandwiches if an okay amount of salt is okay.

SO far, the chinese food we have made has been without sauce, so we
have avoided the salt that way. We can add some garlic and hot oil for
some flavor. Still working on better ideas. He likes fruit, if cut up
really small. They sell those little fruit cups in multipacks, so
those will work,.

He didn't come in today, so I am hoping he was just tired after
another appointment. That's what he said about last Monday as he
skipped that day too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical make up is
only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of salt for someone who
is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt sensitive it simply doesn't
matter.... it is a food most cardilogy nutritionist warn against.

Lee
"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i am totally familar with that data base and several others, you need
>> to do YOUR homework as to the salt relationship that celery has...

> One cup of raw celery only has 80mg sodium, representing 4% of the RDA
> (2,000mg) for males.
>
> You need to learn before you can teach!
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

then he isn't totally out of his mind, i have seen some excellent care at
the VA but i have been personal witness to some pretty sorry conditions nd
unprofessional care, Lee
> wrote in message
On May 20, 10:19 am, Goomba > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to find already prepapred food in a deli with low salt.
> > I work inthe deli department of a grocery store. He's a customer who
> > comes in every day to get his dinner and lunch for the next day. I'm
> > trying to find ways to get him something that will meet his new diet.
> > I know it is tough. That is why I am asking. The guy has no way to
> > cook unless he moves, and that is not likely to happen. He's very set
> > in his ways.

> I admire you for helping him this way.
> I have seen packages of hard boiled eggs for sale in the dairy case.
> That would give him some protein if sliced up onto some whole wheat
> bread. What about those little foil packs of mayo? It could give him an
> egg sandwich at little trouble. Can you isolate some of the deli cooked
> potatoes and macaroni to doctor up before it gets "deli-fied"?
> Fresh fruit if he can handle the chewing?

I'll check the eggs. If they have salt, I can bring eggs from home.

Our potatoes and macaroni are already prepared, so there is no way to
save them.

> Do you think you can talk him into visiting the VA hospital and letting
> a social worker assess his living situation and perhaps finding him an
> assisted living facility that allows him to have his independence but
> also provides a bit of help with meals and such?

He has stated many times over the years that if he went to the VA,
they would lock him in the psych ward. And they just might. He's a
nice guy and functional. He is not dangerous to anybody and only to
himself in terms of refusing medical assistance. He is paranoid, and
eccentric enough that some people would probably consider him crazy.
He thinks that VA hospital is worse than regular hospitals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and i think some of those fruit cups are shelf stable so might be an option
to have at his hotel, Lee
> wrote in message
On May 20, 11:59 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > In the past, we have done some adjustments to his food, such as adding
> > a can of veggies to some rice and an entree, and heating it up for
> > him. Or adding rice to soup. Stuff like that. We normally do not heat
> > non-deli food, but we make an exception for him.

> Are you planning to cook for him on a regular basis? You can't adjust
> Chinese takeout to be low-salt... it is what it is. Ditto corndogs, unless
> you plan to buy the sticks and hotdogs and make the batter with low or no
> salt yourself. Deep fried foods probably aren't a good idea either.

The corndogs and other things are out. I think we can manage some
sandwiches if an okay amount of salt is okay.

SO far, the chinese food we have made has been without sauce, so we
have avoided the salt that way. We can add some garlic and hot oil for
some flavor. Still working on better ideas. He likes fruit, if cut up
really small. They sell those little fruit cups in multipacks, so
those will work,.

He didn't come in today, so I am hoping he was just tired after
another appointment. That's what he said about last Monday as he
skipped that day too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and when you run out of facts you resort to name calling how very sad, Lee

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> What a bunch of BS!!!
>
> You're a second grader, obviously!
>
> Your every reply gets dumber than the last.
>
> Andy
>

> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical make
>> up is only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of salt for
>> someone who is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt sensitive it
>> simply doesn't matter.... it is a food most cardilogy nutritionist
>> warn against.
>>
>> Lee

>>> One cup of raw celery only has 80mg sodium, representing 4% of the
>>> RDA (2,000mg) for males.
>>>
>>> You need to learn before you can teach!
>>>
>>> Andy

> --
> Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
> --Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

try comparing the calories and the amount of salt to say another vegetable,
ratio is not healthy, about the same as eating the salt with no other
nutrition, as i said a cardology nutritionist will advise against eating it,
your name calling is beneath you, Lee

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
>I didn't run out of facts, you never came forth with any!!!
>
> Andy
>

> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> and when you run out of facts you resort to name calling how very sad,
>> Lee
>>
>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>> What a bunch of BS!!!
>>>
>>> You're a second grader, obviously!
>>>
>>> Your every reply gets dumber than the last.
>>>
>>> Andy

>>> --
>>> Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
>>> --Andy

> --
> Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
> --Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

whatever, i see your ego requires you to announce your kill file efforts
like it actually matters to anyone else who you read, Lee

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Like Pop taught me, never argue with a fool, folks won't know the
> difference.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> <plonk>
>

> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> try comparing the calories and the amount of salt to say another
>> vegetable, ratio is not healthy, about the same as eating the salt
>> with no other nutrition, as i said a cardology nutritionist will
>> advise against eating it, your name calling is beneath you, Lee
>>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message
>>>I didn't run out of facts, you never came forth with any!!!
>>>
>>> Andy

>>> --
>>> Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
>>> --Andy

> --
> Everything you do is a complete waste of time. Fact of Life #1.
> --Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/05/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical make up is
> only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of salt for someone who
> is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt sensitive it simply doesn't
> matter.... it is a food most cardilogy nutritionist warn against.

Do you have a cite for that?

As Andy suggests, it takes a while to come to grips with the database
but I managed and I come up with the same results, effectivly, as he
does. Looking at the database, I found that 100 grams of raw celery
contains 80 mg of sodium. he used a cup measure but I suppose 100 grams
= 1 cup since he came up with the same level of sodium in celery as I did.

Anyway, the upper measure I use (from www.saltmatters.org) is 120 mg of
sodium to every 100 grams of food. You simply scale this up to however
many multiples of 100 grams of food you eat in a day. At 80 mg per 100
grams of food, celery is well and truly a low sodium food and would be
perfectly acceptable for those on a low sodium diet to safely consume.

As for the statement "just the chemical makeup is only part of the
equasion" (sic), If you eat 100 grams of celery, then you will also be
consuming 80 mg of sodium with that, no ifs, no buts, no wherefores.
Looks like a pretty simple equation to me.

Your further statement, "to me that is a lot of salt for someone who is
salt sensitive", reflects your opinion only and not that of medical
professionals. Someone who is salt sensitive would cope very
satisfactorily on a diet limited to 120 milligrams of sodium per 100
grams of food. In fact, that is the level the medical professionals will
recommend.

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" wrote:

>try comparing the calories and the amount of salt to say another vegetable,
>ratio is not healthy, about the same as eating the salt with no other
>nutrition, as i said a cardology nutritionist will advise against eating it,
>your name calling is beneath you, Lee

It's pretty easy to remove the salt from celery sticks, just rub the
salt off like with pretzels, or rub diced celery in a clean towel like
salted nuts.... and save all that rubbed salt so you won't need to
spend money on celery salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:34:48 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Krypsis > wrote:
>
>> On 21/05/2011 10:37 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> you have not read enough about the actual food just the chemical
>>> make up is only part of the equasion... and to me that is a lot of
>>> salt for someone who is salt sensitive... if you aren't salt
>>> sensitive it simply doesn't matter.... it is a food most cardilogy
>>> nutritionist warn against.
>>>

>> Do you have a cite for that?
>>

>> As Andy suggests, it takes a while to come to grips with the database
>> but I managed and I come up with the same results, effectivly, as he
>> does. Looking at the database, I found that 100 grams of raw celery
>> contains 80 mg of sodium. he used a cup measure but I suppose 100
>> grams = 1 cup since he came up with the same level of sodium in celery
>> as I did.
>>
>> Anyway, the upper measure I use (from www.saltmatters.org) is 120 mg
>> of sodium to every 100 grams of food. You simply scale this up to
>> however many multiples of 100 grams of food you eat in a day. At 80 mg
>> per 100 grams of food, celery is well and truly a low sodium food and
>> would be perfectly acceptable for those on a low sodium diet to safely
>> consume.
>>
>> As for the statement "just the chemical makeup is only part of the
>> equasion" (sic), If you eat 100 grams of celery, then you will also be
>> consuming 80 mg of sodium with that, no ifs, no buts, no wherefores.
>> Looks like a pretty simple equation to me.
>>
>> Your further statement, "to me that is a lot of salt for someone who
>> is salt sensitive", reflects your opinion only and not that of medical
>> professionals. Someone who is salt sensitive would cope very
>> satisfactorily on a diet limited to 120 milligrams of sodium per 100
>> grams of food. In fact, that is the level the medical professionals
>> will recommend.
>>
>> Krypsis

>Krypsis,
>
>I'll add, the chewing of celery results into what's called negative
>calorie intake, in that the physical chewing of celery uses up more
>calories than it's intake provides.
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

And there are thousands of other foods a doctor will suggest one
eliminate from their diet to lower salt intake long, LONG before
getting to celery. Nice crispy celery stalks is one of my favorite
low calorie snacks, but still I dunk each bite into a saucer of kosher
salt... eating celery sticks is sure more healthful than wolfing down
sticks of pepperoni

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 May 2011 00:49:46 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 22/05/2011 12:34 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2011-05-19, > wrote:
>>> I work in a deli department at a grocery store, and we have a really

>>> I am hoping for some suggestions that would keep him at a low salt
>>> intake.......

>> Tell him to eat somewhere else or jes shoot him in the head. That'll
>> cut down on his salt intake!!
>>
>> I can't believe how stupid this thread is. There is no "cookbook"
>> needed. Jes quit adding so much salt. My late MIL hadda go on a low
>> salt diet. She did all the cooking and jes reduced the salt by 80%.
>> No cookbook, no formulas, no upper/lower limits. All that is total

>Her secret was that "she did all the cooking". If you cook from fresh
>ingredients, it's not hard to manage a low salt diet. If you use a lot
>of processed and prepackaged foods and eat out a lot, then it's nigh on
>impossible unless you keep a close eye on the sodium levels.
>
>> bullcrap. At first we didn't like it, but is was eat low salt or cook
>> yer own. Well, duh! It got so all the rest of us learned to enjoy
>> foods with low salt, too. Not rocket science.
>>
>> nb

>What happened was that your palate (taste buds) adapted to the low salt
>diet. Takes about 4 weeks. You may also notice that any food prepared
>outside your home by others is too salty for your now adapted palate.
>
>Krypsis

And you can still eat hotdogs and other sausages if you simmer them
awhile first and toss out the salt (and fat) with the water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/05/2011 2:22 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm not trying to find already prepapred food in a deli with low salt.
>> I work inthe deli department of a grocery store. He's a customer who
>> comes in every day to get his dinner and lunch for the next day. I'm
>> trying to find ways to get him something that will meet his new diet.
>> I know it is tough. That is why I am asking. The guy has no way to
>> cook unless he moves, and that is not likely to happen. He's very set
>> in his ways.

> Most stores have unsalted versions of the following:
>
> Bread
> Canned beans and Vegetables
> Raw fruits and vegetables
> Potato Chips
> Nuts, such as almonds
> Kefir and Yogurt
> Certain breakfast cereals, such as generic shredded wheat
> Some protein powders
> Some soy milk
> Juices
>
> Eggs are high protein / low sodium but require cooking -- but this
> can be done boiling using a hot plate or immersion cooker.
>
> In my opinion, a diet comprised of the above items, calculated to
> contain 2000 calories and at least 60 protein grams per day,
> and supplemented with fiber (e.g. psyllium capsules), forms
> a healthy diet that is very low sodium.
>
> Steve

It's very difficult to find a low salt bread here. That's primarily due
to the requirement in the yeast for, I think, making the dough rise. The
low sodium brands are, for instance, not available in any shop near me.
There are ways around this however. You can use potassium instead and
even make your own. I have recently purchased a breadmaker and will soon
attempt this myself.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i never thought of the emersion thing... that would be small enough to use
in a glass coffee mug a 16 or 20 oz mug coulg be heated to do the eggs and
other things you listed, and if he boiled four at a time they could be kept
room temp for a few days freeing up frig space, the canned veggies while not
the best could probably be heated right in the can if he had a potholder.
and the things i have seem are small enough to fit in a drawer, and the eggs
could go quicker if he had a coffee maker and could preheat the water, pour
over the eggs the use the heater to finish them. Lee

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>I'm not trying to find already prepapred food in a deli with low salt.
>>I work inthe deli department of a grocery store. He's a customer who
>>comes in every day to get his dinner and lunch for the next day. I'm
>>trying to find ways to get him something that will meet his new diet.
>>I know it is tough. That is why I am asking. The guy has no way to
>>cook unless he moves, and that is not likely to happen. He's very set
>>in his ways.

> Most stores have unsalted versions of the following:
>
> Bread
> Canned beans and Vegetables
> Raw fruits and vegetables
> Potato Chips
> Nuts, such as almonds
> Kefir and Yogurt
> Certain breakfast cereals, such as generic shredded wheat
> Some protein powders
> Some soy milk
> Juices
>
> Eggs are high protein / low sodium but require cooking -- but this
> can be done boiling using a hot plate or immersion cooker.
>
> In my opinion, a diet comprised of the above items, calculated to
> contain 2000 calories and at least 60 protein grams per day,
> and supplemented with fiber (e.g. psyllium capsules), forms
> a healthy diet that is very low sodium.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 May 2011 10:13:24 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 22/05/2011 2:22 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not trying to find already prepapred food in a deli with low salt.
>>> I work inthe deli department of a grocery store. He's a customer who
>>> comes in every day to get his dinner and lunch for the next day. I'm
>>> trying to find ways to get him something that will meet his new diet.
>>> I know it is tough. That is why I am asking. The guy has no way to
>>> cook unless he moves, and that is not likely to happen. He's very set
>>> in his ways.

>> Most stores have unsalted versions of the following:
>>
>> Bread
>> Canned beans and Vegetables
>> Raw fruits and vegetables
>> Potato Chips
>> Nuts, such as almonds
>> Kefir and Yogurt
>> Certain breakfast cereals, such as generic shredded wheat
>> Some protein powders
>> Some soy milk
>> Juices
>>
>> Eggs are high protein / low sodium but require cooking -- but this
>> can be done boiling using a hot plate or immersion cooker.
>>
>> In my opinion, a diet comprised of the above items, calculated to
>> contain 2000 calories and at least 60 protein grams per day,
>> and supplemented with fiber (e.g. psyllium capsules), forms
>> a healthy diet that is very low sodium.
>>
>> Steve

>It's very difficult to find a low salt bread here. That's primarily due
>to the requirement in the yeast for, I think, making the dough rise. The
>low sodium brands are, for instance, not available in any shop near me.
>There are ways around this however. You can use potassium instead and
>even make your own. I have recently purchased a breadmaker and will soon
>attempt this myself.
>
>Krypsis

Yeast doughs require no salt, in fact they rise best with no added
salt whatsoever. The little bit of salt added to bread doughs is only
to improve flavor.... and bread doesn't contain much sodium, add just
a wee bit too much and the rise fails (the main reason ABMs produce
hocky pucks). Anytime you follow an ABM bread recipe use only half
the salt called for, or omit it all. I never add any salt to ABM
bread because salt kills yeast and with ABMs there isn't nearly enough
rise time for yeast to reach it's full potential. But with longer
rise doughs the addition of some salt helps to control the yeast...
it's all a matter of balance learned through experience, you cannot
learn baking from a book. I see plenty of 'no salt added' breads, but
some of the sodium listed on the bread label is what occurs naturally
in wheat and other ingredients... ALL food naturally contains salt. Of
course if you're really concerned about salt in bread you can eat
matzo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
says...

>> It's very difficult to find a low salt bread here. That's primarily due
>> to the requirement in the yeast for, I think, making the dough rise.

>No, the salt is required for longer shelf life.

That's not true at all... there is far too little salt that can be
added to yeast doughs to extend shelf life without killing the
yeast... acid is added for longer shelf life, commercial bakeries add
acetic acid, at home add a wee bit of vinegar and/or citrus juice... a
good squeeze of fresh lemon will extend shelf life as well as enhance
flavor. Be very cautious with adding grated cheese to yeast doughs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 8:43*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> It's so much fun reading posts by people who know absolutely nothing
> about baking/cooking-food.

Really? The rest of us find it to be quite painful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Krypsis > wrote:

>Rank beginner level best describes me.
>
>Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>
>http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/05/2011 10:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>
>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>> breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>> loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>> of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>>
>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

But it will get me using the machine. Once I get the hang of the
machine, then I will start to mix up my own from appropriate recipes.
There are quite a few websites out there that provide advice on this.

Got to crawl before we walk.

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:33:49 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 23/05/2011 10:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>>
>>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a machine
>>> breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7 x 700 gram
>>> loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to ease into the art
>>> of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these are low salt loaves.
>>>
>>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...=8&nav_top_id=

>> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

>But it will get me using the machine. Once I get the hang of the
>machine, then I will start to mix up my own from appropriate recipes.
>There are quite a few websites out there that provide advice on this.
>
>Got to crawl before we walk.
>
>Krypsis

Hey Krypsis, I've had my bread machine for a few years now. When I
first got it, I made my first loaf of bread, ever, from a recipe and
it turned out perfectly. You'll do fine. Keeping the dough ball the
right consistency is the only *tricky* part. Drizzle either more flour
or more water in by the drop until the dough ball is moving around the
paddle well.

Make sure you brace the bread machine somehow. Mine has *walked*
itself all the way to the edge of the counter a couple times. I barely
saved it.

Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2011 8:23 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Rank beginner level best describes me.
>>>
>>> Today, whilst wandering through our local supermarket, I saw a
>>> machine breadmaking kit. It contained all the ingredients to make 7
>>> x 700 gram loaves of various types. Seemed like a gentle way to
>>> ease into the art of breadmaking so I bought one. Supposedly, these
>>> are low salt loaves.
>>>
>>> http://www.snk.com.au/html/s13_shopp...sp?id=135&nav_
>>> cat_id=8&nav_top_id=

>> You'll learn absolutely nothing from box bread.

> Thats not true. If he's never seen bread made and has no real idea of
> 'rise' then they can be handy teaching tools. The main problem with
> them is they tend to cost more than store bread and if expired yeast is
> in there (or a hot truck was used to transport) they may not work.

You mean I can blame someone else if it doesn't work? What a save!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" > ha scritto nel messaggio
cshenk wrote:

The main problem with
>> them is they tend to cost more than store bread and if expired yeast is
>> in there (or a hot truck was used to transport) they may not work.
>>

> You mean I can blame someone else if it doesn't work? What a save!

Seriously, the main problem for beginners is usually patience. My mother
never made really good bread although she was a champion at much more
difficult foods. She just wouldn't leave it to rise enough. She pushed it,
pulled it and cooked it anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
>
> Sandwich meats are out since they are so high in salt. He loves
> sandwiches though, so a good alternative would be awesome. I can make
> hot and cold sandwiches, so I am open to any suggestions. He's not
> very picky about food, other than the ability to chew it, so that's
> good. He likes most fruits and veggies. Spicy is fine.
>
> He goes back to the doctor again today and a coworker is taking him
> (so that she can help him ask the right questions and write down the
> answers). So hopefully, I will have a better idea of diet restrictions
> and what his ideal daily salt intake will be.
>
> He is a really super guy, so I am hoping to keep him around for a long
> time to come. He can cheer me up on a bad day, and he is always
> entertaining. He goes to Reno every year for Thanksgiving, and I
> really miss his daily visits. These days, I worry anytime he misses a

How about pot roast made in a slow cooker. It will fall apart enough for
him.