General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,466
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. I wish I were filthy rich, I'd spend
a couple of years traveling around and sample all of them.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,216
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

ImStillMags wrote:
http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. I wish I were filthy rich, I'd spend
a couple of years traveling around and sample all of them.


I've been to two of these this year alone! McCrady's and Gallatoires.
Woohoo!

My beloved Frontera didn't make the list this time.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,192
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

ImStillMags wrote in

..com:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. I wish I were filthy rich,
I'd spend a couple of years traveling around and sample all of
them.


I've never even seen one of them. LOL!!

Also noticed these links the

10 Most Pointless Salad Ingredients by Valaer Murray
http://www.thedailymeal.com/10-most-...ad-ingredients

What's Good At Trader Joe's? by Arthur Bovino
http://www.thedailymeal.com/whats-good-trader-joes-0

8 Foods Not to Cook Naked by Yasmin Fahr
http://www.thedailymeal.com/8-foods-not-cook-naked
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 842
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

On May 10, 6:42*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. * I wish I were filthy rich, I'd spend
a couple of years traveling around and sample all of them.


I like the way one person put it. Unless you've eaten at every single
restaurant in America, how can you say that these are the 101 best?
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,612
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

wrote:
On May 10, 6:42 pm, ImStillMags wrote:
http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. I wish I were filthy rich, I'd spend
a couple of years traveling around and sample all of them.


I like the way one person put it. Unless you've eaten at every single
restaurant in America, how can you say that these are the 101 best?


I couldn't open the article, perhaps because I didn't accept the
ad cookie. Anyway, I really don't like the premise of the
article, both for the reason you mention and also because I wonder
whether the restaurants are skewed toward expensive ones? I
really like authentic ethnic restaurants, which are usually quite
small and frequently of the hole-in-the-wall sort.

--
Jean B.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,415
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

Jean B. wrote:

because I wonder
whether the restaurants are skewed toward expensive ones?


The names I recognize were heavily skewed in favor of very high price.
If you manage to get out for under a hundred dollars a head at most of
these places you were very careful about what to order and you had water.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,044
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

Sitara wrote (I added crossposting to rec.food.restaurants):

http://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best...urants-america

I've only eaten at a very few. I wish I were filthy rich, I'd spend a
couple of years traveling around and sample all of them.


I've eaten at nine of them, and of that nine, I don't think two really
belong on such an exclusive list. (Michael Mina and The Slanted Door failed
to live up to the hype, IMO.) I'd also rank Chez Panisse a lot lower than it
is; I think both JoŽl Robuchon and Restaurant August were better than Chez
Panisse.

Twelve of the 101 restaurants are on my "want to try" list, but the occasion
has to be right. (I can't find enough adventurous eaters to make the trip to
Incanto, for example. If I could get nine people together for the "Whole
Beast" dinner I'd be there in a heartbeat.)

I've got the Zuni Cafe cookbook, and although it's good, I'm surprised to
see the restaurant so highly rated. I didn't think it was *that* good,
comparing the techniques in their cookbook to the techniques in the French
Laundry cookbook.

Bob


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.restaurants
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,396
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

On May 11, 8:57*pm, "Bob Terwilliger"


I've got the Zuni Cafe cookbook, and although it's good, I'm surprised to
see the restaurant so highly rated. I didn't think it was *that* good,
comparing the techniques in their cookbook to the techniques in the French
Laundry cookbook.


Comparing recipe books has to be the weirdest way to evaluate
restaurants that I've ever heard.


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,959
Default 101 Best Restaurants in America

On 11 May 2011 00:10:43 GMT, sandi wrote:

Also noticed these links the

10 Most Pointless Salad Ingredients by Valaer Murray
http://www.thedailymeal.com/10-most-...ad-ingredients


just because an ingredient lacks calories (or has too many - the writer
seems a little confused) doesn't make it pointless.

your pal,
blake


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best fast food restaurants |local fast food restaurants Shanvi Shanu Beer 0 17-12-2016 01:10 PM
When America First Met China dogma_i Tea 0 10-09-2012 05:10 PM
101 Best Restaurants in America Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Restaurants 3 12-10-2011 11:08 PM
Newsweek: "Does Rural America = Junk Food America?" [email protected] General Cooking 0 16-12-2007 04:26 AM
Best 'Q' in America [email protected] Barbecue 9 29-04-2006 02:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017