Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default refried beans

On May 13, 9:34*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> >> You could try goat meat. *It's fibers are different from beef. *The
> >> muscles are a lot smaller and more complex and the bones are a lot
> >> smaller. *As a result while it has the same color as beef it doesn't
> >> take much observation to be clear it isn't beef. *And it tastes similar
> >> tolambbut stronger. *If you like goat you'll likelamb. *If you don't
> >> likelambyou won't like goat.

> > I likelamb, but not goat. *The fatty acid profile of goat is pretty
> > extreme toward medium chain capric and caprylic acids.

> I've read all sorts of articles about the nutritional benefits of
> caprylic acid. *One more reason for me to have more goat. *That and it's
> my favorite ...

Caprylic acid doesn't raise LDL, and doesn't oxidize easily like
unsaturated fatty acids. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
properties.

> > Goat is more similar to mutton.

> My Dad called goat meat mutton. *I know it's technically incorrect usage
> but that's how I learned the word originally. *Goat meat is like intenselambmeat.

I've seen mutton compared to goat elsewhere too.

>*It does teach a lesson that applies to beef - Olderlambis
> called mutton. *It has stronger flavor and is tougher than youngerlamb.
> If you like the flavor of beef and you're willing to cook it low, slow
> and moist like a slow braise or a stew, older cows taste awesome. *Older
> cows are only common food among dairy farmers to my knowledge. *They
> don't want to waste the food when they kill an older milker who's no
> longer producing economically. *I have a lot of relatives who live in
> dairy territory.

I always assume that the ungraded beef tenderloins I occasionally buy
are from old dairy cattle, but I really have no evidence of that. In
another thread, Kent wrote, "Age isn't relevant because we really
don't eat old dairy cows, as they do in Norway." That's obviously not
true. Kent must be anti-Norwegian like Sheldon is anti-Italian and
Irish.
There's no way that perfectly wholesome beef is just going to get
thrown away because it is from old dairy cattle.

> > I wish that I liked mutton and goat, and goats'
> > milk as well, because it is a lot healthier than cows' body fat or
> > milk fat.

> I love goat cheese but I get tired of it very quickly.
>
> > I wish I liked cruciferous veggies too.

> More for me. *Please pass the cauliflower. *I'll trade you my bell
> peppers.

And I love bell peppers. Aldi had a 3 pack with one red, one yellow
and one green for 99 cents. I bought two of them today. Two days
ago, I bought some and made stir fry with them. When I was a child I
hated bell peppers.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 9:17*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On May 13, 9:34*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>

> > Bryan wrote:

> > > I likelamb, but not goat. *The fatty acid profile of goat is pretty
> > > extreme toward medium chain capric and caprylic acids.

> > I've read all sorts of articles about the nutritional benefits of
> > caprylic acid. *One more reason for me to have more goat. *That and it's
> > my favorite ...

> Caprylic acid doesn't raise LDL, and doesn't oxidize easily like
> unsaturated fatty acids. *It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
> properties.
>

> > > Goat is more similar to mutton.

> > My Dad called goat meat mutton. *I know it's technically incorrect usage
> > but that's how I learned the word originally. *Goat meat is like intenselambmeat.

> I've seen mutton compared to goat elsewhere too.
>
> >*It does teach a lesson that applies to beef - Olderlambis
> > called mutton. *It has stronger flavor and is tougher than youngerlamb.
> > If you like the flavor of beef and you're willing to cook it low, slow
> > and moist like a slow braise or a stew, older cows taste awesome. *Older
> > cows are only common food among dairy farmers to my knowledge. *They
> > don't want to waste the food when they kill an older milker who's no
> > longer producing economically. *I have a lot of relatives who live in
> > dairy territory.

> I always assume that the ungraded beef tenderloins I occasionally buy
> are from old dairy cattle, but I really have no evidence of that. *In
> another thread, Kent wrote, "Age isn't relevant because we really
> don't eat old dairy cows, as they do in Norway." *That's obviously not
> true. *Kent must be anti-Norwegian like Sheldon is anti-Italian and
> Irish.
> There's no way that perfectly wholesome beef is just going to get
> thrown away because it is from old dairy cattle.
>

> > > I wish that I liked mutton and goat, and goats'
> > > milk as well, because it is a lot healthier than cows' body fat or
> > > milk fat.

> > I love goat cheese but I get tired of it very quickly.

> > > I wish I liked cruciferous veggies too.

> > More for me. *Please pass the cauliflower. *I'll trade you my bell
> > peppers.

> And I love bell peppers. *Aldi had a 3 pack with one red, one yellow
> and one green for 99 cents. *I bought two of them today. *Two days
> ago, I bought some and made stir fry with them. *When I was a child I
> hated bell peppers.
>
> --Bryan

I don't like the green ones. Yellow, red, orange, etc. are good, but
green are not yet ripe!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:45:19 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>One of our children's godfathers did a roast leg of lamb that was coated in a curry paste.
>It was exceptionally good.
>He served it with some mashed sweet meat squash that was loaded with butter and cream and some basmati rice.
>So good!
>
>Regards,
>Ranee

OMG, that just sounds delicious! It made my mouth go crazy and my
stomach growl!

What type of curry paste was used and how thick of a coating?

Oh my, now I have to go find something to eat.....haha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 14:45:01 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> He used Madras curry powder that he rubbed all over, maybe some olive
> oil and he stuffed the meat with lots of garlic. Oh, and salt. I'd
> have to ask him for more than that.

Thanks for the idea! I bought some Madras curry powder a couple of
months ago that was too salty to use. I was so excited to find actual
Madras powder, it didn't occur to me to check the ingredients for
*salt*, of all things. What a disappointment. I didn't have the
heart to throw it away, but I didn't want to ruin any more curry with
it either.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shirley[_2_] View Post
On 4/30/2011 1:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
Are these beans left over from baked beans?

Soak them and cook them in the normal way until tender, then drain, mash
up good, add garlic and onion and whatever spices you like, mix
together, and fry. At least that's the way we made them. Probably more
ways to make refried beans then there are people reading this post.
Refried beans are such a treat when they accompany pulled pork or enchiladas. I just wonder if they really need to be fried. Does pork fat impart that much flavor in them? Could you get away with only a tiny bit of fat? Or would that be like omitting the bacon from a blt?

Christy

Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 04:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 04:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 03:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 07:20 PM