Old 30-04-2011, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping: Sqwertz

Did you get Culinaria China? If so, what do you think of it? I
saw it at Borders in Boston yesterday and took a quick look. The
first thing I noticed was that its recipe index sucked. The
second thing I noticed was that this tome actually contains very
few recipes. (Wasn't that your complaint re Thai Street Food?)
And those recipe didn't look extra-special either. Thus, I
probably would only buy this on a huge discount--like if Borders
was selling at at $4.95 like it did some of the other Culinaria
volumes. Heck, I might even go to $9.99, but I'm not sure about that.
--
Jean B.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:45:49 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

Did you get Culinaria China?

No, I didn't. I even had a B&N certificate for $25 bucks I needed to
use up and couldn't think of anything I wanted for almost free except
for that. I read a few more reviews, one a scathing review by
somebody familiar with the rest of the series and that convinced me to
give the coupon to somebody else.

If so, what do you think of it? I
saw it at Borders in Boston yesterday and took a quick look. The
first thing I noticed was that its recipe index sucked. The
second thing I noticed was that this tome actually contains very
few recipes. (Wasn't that your complaint re Thai Street Food?)

Yes. I don't remember any text in that book.

And those recipe didn't look extra-special either. Thus, I
probably would only buy this on a huge discount--like if Borders
was selling at at $4.95 like it did some of the other Culinaria
volumes. Heck, I might even go to $9.99, but I'm not sure about that

$9.95 is lowest I've seen for certain countries that they've
reprinted. But your notes match the other reviewers. he says that it
was more a superficial culture book than a food book. There wasn't
even a mention of noodles and other staples you'd expect to see.

The critical review was:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NQUDDQP1TQR2/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=3833149957&nodeID=2 83155&tag=&linkCode=
(with a comment from me afterwards)

-sw

And here I was so excited about this after you mentioned it. Even
when I saw it on the shelf when I went to get the new book by
Sanjeev Kapoor. I am REALLY glad I looked at it. I am somewhat
mystified, because other Culinaria volumes have been quite good.

My now-defunct Borders (the one in the 'burbs, not the big one in
Boston) had some of those volumes for $4.95! That was kind-of
odd, because I was seeing them at higher prices elsewhere. I
probably committed some strategic errors, because I couldn't
remember which ones I had and which I needed. Many of my books
have never been shelved, and I am now working on that. (What a
pain, splicing the ones that had been shelved and those that have
not been shelved, sorted, logged, etc.)
Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2011 11:09:47 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

My now-defunct Borders (the one in the 'burbs, not the big one in
Boston) had some of those volumes for $4.95! That was kind-of
odd, because I was seeing them at higher prices elsewhere. I
probably committed some strategic errors, because I couldn't
remember which ones I had and which I needed. Many of my books
have never been shelved, and I am now working on that. (What a
pain, splicing the ones that had been shelved and those that have
not been shelved, sorted, logged, etc.)

Somehow I lost Italy. So I need that again, and I'd like the see the
ones from USA and Spain come back in print in paperback. I have
France, Greece, Russia, Germany, SE Asia, and European Specialities.
Plus I have a handful of Eurodelicies as well as Europes Master Chefs.

I had all of Culinaria at one time but shit happened. and yes, I have
accidentally bought volumes that I already had. I was buying them
here and there, and quicker than I could read or remember them.

-sw

You have more than I do. I have SE Asian, of course. Russia.
Tunisia (I think). Maybe Greece. Spain and Germany posed the
most confusion for me, and I still don't have the answer. I have
just started shelving cookbooks here at the new house and have
just dented my antique books and Asian books (China and a bit of
Japan thus far).

--
Jean B.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 01 May 2011 21:01:10 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

Never a Tunisia that I saw/had. I thought there was a Turkey, but I
guess not (other than a section in European Culinaria). Hungary is
one I haven't seen for a while. And the Carribean I only had briefly
before it went bye-bye. That was my least favorite anyway.

Maybe Greece. Spain and Germany posed the
most confusion for me, and I still don't have the answer. I have
just started shelving cookbooks here at the new house and have
just dented my antique books and Asian books (China and a bit of
Japan thus far).

I put all my Culinaria together. Slightly different paperback
bindings, but the mostly go together.

One thing that I like about the paperbacks is that physical quality.
They are monster books but the binding and paper is top notch. They
match better than the hard backs ever did. The hardbacks were various
sizes and depths.

-sw

Tunisia is a thin volume. My initial thought was that this and
other thin volumes were pulled from some larger volume, but that
seems not to be the case. I have not seen that that was the case
though.

I am in a quandary about how to shelve these books and other
international series. I had my Time-Life books scattered into
their various sections but didn't really like that and am still
not sure whether I even found all of them. As I begin to shelve
my books, I am holding these aside. I may very well do this with
the Culinaria volumes too. The "... The Beautiful series" makes
the decision easier, since I can't afford to space my shelves in
such a way that these get houses within the various countries.

--
Jean B.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 May 2011 00:53:41 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

The big 5 (Italy, France, Germany, Italy, Russia) have
been re-released yet again in yet another new binding

Trade me a Greece for one Italy.

There. That's better.

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 02 May 2011 08:59:37 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

Tunisia is a thin volume. My initial thought was that this and
other thin volumes were pulled from some larger volume, but that
seems not to be the case. I have not seen that that was the case
though.

I can't find any reference to English version of a Culinara: Tunisia.
Maybe in their original German?

I picked up Culinaria: Italy a few days ago for $8 in the original
H.F. Ullman binding format (binding 1/8" larger than pages), which I
like the most. The big 5 (Italy, France, Germany, Italy, Russia) have
been re-released yet again in yet another new binding by a yet another
new imprint of Springer Verlag (The Simon and Schuster of Germany).
or is it Tandem verlag? shrug. I used to know who owned who in the
worldwide publishing industry at any given moment but those days are
long gone.

Now I just Culinaria Spain replaced. And USA would be nice but not a
requirement.

-sw

Hmmm. I think I can find Tunisia today, in which case, I'll give
you the details. Ah, in the meantime, I had an epiphany. It was
published by Konemann but is not part of the Culinaria series. Sorry.

--
Jean B.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 08 May 2011 12:13:38 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

Hmmm. I think I can find Tunisia today, in which case, I'll give
you the details. Ah, in the meantime, I had an epiphany. It was
published by Konemann but is not part of the Culinaria series. Sorry.

Konemann had a whole slew of other ethic cookery books which I've
never seen. I did buy their Eurodelicies series when it was cheap,
and just picked up Europes Master Chefs for about $.50/lb (it's a
12-pound book).

-sw

I found the Tunisia one in Boston while I was killing time waiting
for my daughter. Looked at many cookbooks then. I think I also
saw Morocco, maybe Turkey. Some are more meritorious than others.

--
Jean B.

Ping Sqwertz ChairMan[_5_] Barbecue 18 17-12-2013 08:12 PM
Ping Sqwertz Lou Decruss General Cooking 3 01-07-2011 06:39 PM
Ping Sqwertz Lou Decruss General Cooking 1 02-06-2011 08:46 PM
PING: Sqwertz RegForte Barbecue 3 07-10-2009 04:54 PM