FoodBanter.com

-   -   ping: Sqwertz (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/407063-ping-sqwertz.html)

Jean B.[_1_] 30-04-2011 02:45 AM

ping: Sqwertz

Did you get Culinaria China? If so, what do you think of it? I
saw it at Borders in Boston yesterday and took a quick look. The
first thing I noticed was that its recipe index sucked. The
second thing I noticed was that this tome actually contains very
few recipes. (Wasn't that your complaint re Thai Street Food?)
And those recipe didn't look extra-special either. Thus, I
probably would only buy this on a huge discount--like if Borders
was selling at at $4.95 like it did some of the other Culinaria
volumes. Heck, I might even go to $9.99, but I'm not sure about that.
--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 01-05-2011 04:09 PM

ping: Sqwertz

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:45:49 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Did you get Culinaria China?

> No, I didn't. I even had a B&N certificate for $25 bucks I needed to
> use up and couldn't think of anything I wanted for almost free except
> for that. I read a few more reviews, one a scathing review by
> somebody familiar with the rest of the series and that convinced me to
> give the coupon to somebody else.
>
>> If so, what do you think of it? I
>> saw it at Borders in Boston yesterday and took a quick look. The
>> first thing I noticed was that its recipe index sucked. The
>> second thing I noticed was that this tome actually contains very
>> few recipes. (Wasn't that your complaint re Thai Street Food?)

> Yes. I don't remember any text in that book.
>
>> And those recipe didn't look extra-special either. Thus, I
>> probably would only buy this on a huge discount--like if Borders
>> was selling at at $4.95 like it did some of the other Culinaria
>> volumes. Heck, I might even go to $9.99, but I'm not sure about that

> $9.95 is lowest I've seen for certain countries that they've
> reprinted. But your notes match the other reviewers. he says that it
> was more a superficial culture book than a food book. There wasn't
> even a mention of noodles and other staples you'd expect to see.
>
> The critical review was:
> <http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NQUDDQP1TQR2/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=3833149957&nodeID=2 83155&tag=&linkCode=>
> (with a comment from me afterwards)
>
> -sw

And here I was so excited about this after you mentioned it. Even
when I saw it on the shelf when I went to get the new book by
Sanjeev Kapoor. I am REALLY glad I looked at it. I am somewhat
mystified, because other Culinaria volumes have been quite good.

My now-defunct Borders (the one in the 'burbs, not the big one in
Boston) had some of those volumes for $4.95! That was kind-of
odd, because I was seeing them at higher prices elsewhere. I
probably committed some strategic errors, because I couldn't
remember which ones I had and which I needed. Many of my books
have never been shelved, and I am now working on that. (What a
pain, splicing the ones that had been shelved and those that have
not been shelved, sorted, logged, etc.)

Jean B.[_1_] 02-05-2011 02:01 AM

ping: Sqwertz

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2011 11:09:47 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> My now-defunct Borders (the one in the 'burbs, not the big one in
>> Boston) had some of those volumes for $4.95! That was kind-of
>> odd, because I was seeing them at higher prices elsewhere. I
>> probably committed some strategic errors, because I couldn't
>> remember which ones I had and which I needed. Many of my books
>> have never been shelved, and I am now working on that. (What a
>> pain, splicing the ones that had been shelved and those that have
>> not been shelved, sorted, logged, etc.)

> Somehow I lost Italy. So I need that again, and I'd like the see the
> ones from USA and Spain come back in print in paperback. I have
> France, Greece, Russia, Germany, SE Asia, and European Specialities.
> Plus I have a handful of Eurodelicies as well as Europes Master Chefs.
>
> I had all of Culinaria at one time but shit happened. and yes, I have
> accidentally bought volumes that I already had. I was buying them
> here and there, and quicker than I could read or remember them.
>
> -sw

You have more than I do. I have SE Asian, of course. Russia.
Tunisia (I think). Maybe Greece. Spain and Germany posed the
most confusion for me, and I still don't have the answer. I have
just started shelving cookbooks here at the new house and have
just dented my antique books and Asian books (China and a bit of
Japan thus far).

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 02-05-2011 01:59 PM

ping: Sqwertz

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2011 21:01:10 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Somehow I lost Italy. So I need that again, and I'd like the see the
>>> ones from USA and Spain come back in print in paperback. I have
>>> France, Greece, Russia, Germany, SE Asia, and European Specialities.
>>> Plus I have a handful of Eurodelicies as well as Europes Master Chefs.
>>>
>>> I had all of Culinaria at one time but shit happened. and yes, I have
>>> accidentally bought volumes that I already had. I was buying them
>>> here and there, and quicker than I could read or remember them.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> You have more than I do. I have SE Asian, of course. Russia.
>> Tunisia (I think).

> Never a Tunisia that I saw/had. I thought there was a Turkey, but I
> guess not (other than a section in European Culinaria). Hungary is
> one I haven't seen for a while. And the Carribean I only had briefly
> before it went bye-bye. That was my least favorite anyway.
>
>> Maybe Greece. Spain and Germany posed the
>> most confusion for me, and I still don't have the answer. I have
>> just started shelving cookbooks here at the new house and have
>> just dented my antique books and Asian books (China and a bit of
>> Japan thus far).

> I put all my Culinaria together. Slightly different paperback
> bindings, but the mostly go together.
>
> One thing that I like about the paperbacks is that physical quality.
> They are monster books but the binding and paper is top notch. They
> match better than the hard backs ever did. The hardbacks were various
> sizes and depths.
>
> -sw

Tunisia is a thin volume. My initial thought was that this and
other thin volumes were pulled from some larger volume, but that
seems not to be the case. I have not seen that that was the case
though.

I am in a quandary about how to shelve these books and other
international series. I had my Time-Life books scattered into
their various sections but didn't really like that and am still
not sure whether I even found all of them. As I begin to shelve
my books, I am holding these aside. I may very well do this with
the Culinaria volumes too. The "... The Beautiful series" makes
the decision easier, since I can't afford to space my shelves in
such a way that these get houses within the various countries.

--
Jean B.

Ophelia[_7_] 08-05-2011 10:01 AM

ping: Sqwertz

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 00:53:41 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> The big 5 (Italy, France, Germany, Italy, Russia) have
>> been re-released yet again in yet another new binding

> Trade me a Greece for one Italy.
>
> There. That's better.

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ophelia[_7_] 08-05-2011 10:02 AM

ping: Sqwertz

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 May 2011 00:53:41 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> The big 5 (Italy, France, Germany, Italy, Russia) have
>> been re-released yet again in yet another new binding

> Trade me a Greece for one Italy.
>
> There. That's better.

<g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Jean B.[_1_] 08-05-2011 05:13 PM

ping: Sqwertz

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 08:59:37 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Tunisia is a thin volume. My initial thought was that this and
>> other thin volumes were pulled from some larger volume, but that
>> seems not to be the case. I have not seen that that was the case
>> though.

> I can't find any reference to English version of a Culinara: Tunisia.
> Maybe in their original German?
>
> I picked up Culinaria: Italy a few days ago for $8 in the original
> H.F. Ullman binding format (binding 1/8" larger than pages), which I
> like the most. The big 5 (Italy, France, Germany, Italy, Russia) have
> been re-released yet again in yet another new binding by a yet another
> new imprint of Springer Verlag (The Simon and Schuster of Germany).
> or is it Tandem verlag? <shrug>. I used to know who owned who in the
> worldwide publishing industry at any given moment but those days are
> long gone.
>
> Now I just Culinaria Spain replaced. And USA would be nice but not a
> requirement.
>
> -sw

Hmmm. I think I can find Tunisia today, in which case, I'll give
you the details. Ah, in the meantime, I had an epiphany. It was
published by Konemann but is not part of the Culinaria series. Sorry.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 09-05-2011 12:56 AM

ping: Sqwertz

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 08 May 2011 12:13:38 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I think I can find Tunisia today, in which case, I'll give
>> you the details. Ah, in the meantime, I had an epiphany. It was
>> published by Konemann but is not part of the Culinaria series. Sorry.

> Konemann had a whole slew of other ethic cookery books which I've
> never seen. I did buy their Eurodelicies series when it was cheap,
> and just picked up Europes Master Chefs for about $.50/lb (it's a
> 12-pound book).
>
> -sw

I found the Tunisia one in Boston while I was killing time waiting
for my daughter. Looked at many cookbooks then. I think I also
saw Morocco, maybe Turkey. Some are more meritorious than others.

--
Jean B.