Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Solly's Hot Tamales

I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
have any insights in making this Solly's style.

thanks

tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 04:42:11 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
>cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
>machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
>guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
>hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
>have any insights in making this Solly's style.
>
>thanks
>
>tom

I'd like to see that video. Would you please post a link to it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
> cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
> machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
> guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
> hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
> have any insights in making this Solly's style.

There was a 2006 interview with Jewel McCain (current
proprietor of Solly's Hot Tamales) which was transcribed
into a 68-page pdf file. I donloaded it last year, but
it seems to have disappeared from the net since then.
In it, she says they make their tamales using a machine
made by the now-defunct Curry Manufacturing. This machine
has two chambers, one for dough and one for filling, and
coextrudes them. I have two of these machines. I haven't
used mine yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'd like to see that video. Would you please post a link to it?

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/

This is the link, but how long it will be on that page, I am not sure.
When I searched for Solly's Hot Tamales, google came up with the
video, so if the link does work you can search.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2011 12:55 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> " wrote:
>>
>> I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
>> cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
>> machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
>> guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
>> hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
>> have any insights in making this Solly's style.

> There was a 2006 interview with Jewel McCain (current
> proprietor of Solly's Hot Tamales) which was transcribed
> into a 68-page pdf file. I donloaded it last year, but
> it seems to have disappeared from the net since then.
> In it, she says they make their tamales using a machine
> made by the now-defunct Curry Manufacturing. This machine
> has two chambers, one for dough and one for filling, and
> coextrudes them. I have two of these machines. I haven't
> used mine yet.

We lived in Corpus Christi, TX in 1979-80. A friend and her family only
made tamales just before Christmas, usually 200 dozen. The whole
extended Tex-Mex family got together over two weekends, men and women,
and made tamales. There's were made of pork and Masa with home ground
spices and chiles. They had one of those machines too, had been in the
family for years is what I was told. Once you learned to use it it was
very easy to make the tamales. The hard part for me to learn was the
rolling in the corn shuck. You should have seen those folks, I think
they were crossed with a machine they could turn them out so fast. Our
reward for helping was about ten dozen tamales, they didn't last until
Christmas at our house. Best I have ever eaten but the recipe for the
spices and herbs was a family secret, the eldest daughter kept it and
passed it on to her eldest daughter. Unfortunately she had two boys and
no girls so the next younger sister got it when she died of Lupus.

Amazing family, parents waded the Rio Grande, couldn't speak English,
had very little education. They had three boys and two girls. The eldest
boy finished high school and went to work in a chemical plant at
eighteen. The other four kids all went to college, my friend had a MS in
Nursing, she was the eldest girl. Her brother younger than her became a
Supreme Court Justice in the State of Texas, the next boy was the
Federal District Attorney in Alaska last I heard, which was probably 25
years ago. The youngest girl, also the last I heard, was the Chief
Probation Officer in Hidalgo County, TX. All because their parents
wanted them to be the best they could be. Unfortunately none of them
taught their kids to speak Spanish, pretty much a requirement in South
Texas nowadays.

I can still smell and taste those tamales sometimes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:04:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>> I'd like to see that video. Would you please post a link to it?

>http://www.post-gazette.com/food/
>This is the link, but how long it will be on that page, I am not sure.
>When I searched for Solly's Hot Tamales, google came up with the
>video, so if the link does work you can search.
>
>Tom

Thanks Tom! That's a cool machine she uses to make those. I wonder how
that thing works like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:55:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

" wrote:

>> I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
>> cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
>> machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
>> guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
>> hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
>> have any insights in making this Solly's style.

>There was a 2006 interview with Jewel McCain (current
>proprietor of Solly's Hot Tamales) which was transcribed
>into a 68-page pdf file. I donloaded it last year, but
>it seems to have disappeared from the net since then.
>In it, she says they make their tamales using a machine
>made by the now-defunct Curry Manufacturing. This machine
>has two chambers, one for dough and one for filling, and
>coextrudes them. I have two of these machines. I haven't
>used mine yet.

Ok, you have two. I have none. Now you *know* you only need one of em.

hehe gimme dat machine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

>>> I saw a video on line about how they make the tamales. They use
>>> cornmeal instead of masa harina, and the tamale is formed by a
>>> machine. I noticed they added melted lard rather than solid lard. I
>>> guess I am wondering if there is any problem forming the tamale by
>>> hand. I have made "regular tamales", and was wondering if anyone might
>>> have any insights in making this Solly's style.

>>There was a 2006 interview with Jewel McCain (current
>>proprietor of Solly's Hot Tamales) which was transcribed
>>into a 68-page pdf file. I donloaded it last year, but
>>it seems to have disappeared from the net since then.
>>In it, she says they make their tamales using a machine
>>made by the now-defunct Curry Manufacturing. This machine
>>has two chambers, one for dough and one for filling, and
>>coextrudes them. I have two of these machines. I haven't
>>used mine yet.

>Ok, you have two. I have none. Now you *know* you only need one of em.
>
>hehe gimme dat machine!

Here's a tamale process line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQOshvtS5Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:40:40 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Landon wrote:
>>
>> Ok, you have two. I have none. Now you *know* you only need one of em.

>No, it's a backup machine. Nothing worse than
>making 100 dozen tamales and having the machine
>break down halfway through.

100 dozen? Holy Crap!

You must have a business selling them. I don't think I've ever seen
100 dozen tamales in my entire life!

I can't imagine! I was really only kidding. I would have no use for a
machine like that.

I might mess around with making some tamales from cornmeal though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:56:56 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Landon > wrote:
>
>> You must have a business selling them. I don't think I've ever seen
>> 100 dozen tamales in my entire life!

>Landon,
>
>Heck, put me down for maybe four tamales!!!
>
>It sounds like a gross exaggeration to me too!
>
>Best,
>
>Andy

Now hold on. When you say "It sounds like a gross exaggeration to me
too!", you imply that I also think it was. That's not what I said
Andy. I said"You must have a business selling them. I don't think I've
ever seen 100 dozen tamales in my entire life!", and that's all I
meant. I neither implied or said anything about "gross exaggeration".

Your statement would be more accurate if you dropped the "too" from
the end of it. You really mean that *you* think it is a gross
exaggeration. Right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:

> Ok, you have two. I have none. Now you *know* you only need one of em.

No, it's a backup machine. Nothing worse than
making 100 dozen tamales and having the machine
break down halfway through.

That's a lot of tamales Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-11-2009 09:03 PM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:16 AM
Oaxacan Pumpkin Tamales (Tamales Miahuatecos) Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 07:07 AM
Low Cal Tamales huck Mexican Cooking 3 18-01-2005 08:00 PM
Best Tamales Ernie Mexican Cooking 60 15-12-2004 03:38 PM