Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Subbing split peas for lentils

I made an almost-vegetarian chili a few weeks ago using lentils for the
base, with a little TVP thrown in. The only thing that kept it from
being vegetarian is I added some pork broth. It turned out good enough
that I wanted to make it again.

I went to the store, and lentils were almost $2 a pound! (it wasn't
that long ago that lentils were 39˘ a pound.) Green split peas were
only 89˘ so I bought those instead. Will they work for this
application, or should I do something else with them? Green lentils
cook up gray in color, which was easily overpowered by the brick-red
chiles. Split peas cook up a vivid green; I'm not sure how that will
work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

I may try it anyway. Cook the peas in some canned beef broth that I
have in the pantry, then add pureed ancho and New Mexico chilies (and
onions, garlic, oregano, and a little cumin and tomatoes.) What do you
think?

-Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 9:30*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I made an almost-vegetarian chili a few weeks ago using lentils for the
> base, with a little TVP thrown in. *The only thing that kept it from
> being vegetarian is I added some pork broth. *It turned out good enough
> that I wanted to make it again.
>
> I went to the store, and lentils were almost $2 a pound! *(it wasn't
> that long ago that lentils were 39˘ a pound.) *Green split peas were
> only 89˘ so I bought those instead. *Will they work for this
> application, or should I do something else with them? *Green lentils
> cook up gray in color, which was easily overpowered by the brick-red
> chiles. *Split peas cook up a vivid green; I'm not sure how that will
> work. *Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?
>
> I may try it anyway. *Cook the peas in some canned beef broth that I
> have in the pantry, then add pureed ancho and New Mexico chilies (and
> onions, garlic, oregano, and a little cumin and tomatoes.) *What do you
> think?

In my experience lentils are negligibly gassy while the same cannot be
said
of split peas. You may want to try your favorite degassing technique
on
the split peas before using them.

The other thing is I always cook split peas with a smoked hamhock or
similar. The flavors blend so well in my opinion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 23:30:05 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> I went to the store, and lentils were almost $2 a pound! (it wasn't
> that long ago that lentils were 39˘ a pound.) Green split peas were
> only 89˘ so I bought those instead. Will they work for this
> application, or should I do something else with them? Green lentils
> cook up gray in color, which was easily overpowered by the brick-red
> chiles. Split peas cook up a vivid green; I'm not sure how that will
> work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

I think they fall apart easier than lentils. That's why split pea
soup is not filled with whole split peas.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:41:14 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> In my experience lentils are negligibly gassy while the same cannot be
> said
> of split peas. You may want to try your favorite degassing technique
> on
> the split peas before using them.
>
> The other thing is I always cook split peas with a smoked hamhock or
> similar. The flavors blend so well in my opinion.

I'd substitute pinto beans in that chili. Split peas are just wrong.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/04/2011 12:41 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> In my experience lentils are negligibly gassy while the same cannot be
> said
> of split peas. You may want to try your favorite degassing technique
> on
> the split peas before using them.
>
> The other thing is I always cook split peas with a smoked hamhock or
> similar. The flavors blend so well in my opinion.

I had made several mediocre attempts at split pea soup using different
types of bone in ham. A few month ago I saw smoked ham hocks at the
butcher shop and tried that. Wow! That was the missing ingredient. It
makes an incredible soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 26/04/2011 12:41 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>

>> In my experience lentils are negligibly gassy while the same cannot be
>> said
>> of split peas. You may want to try your favorite degassing technique
>> on
>> the split peas before using them.
>>
>> The other thing is I always cook split peas with a smoked hamhock or
>> similar. The flavors blend so well in my opinion.

> I had made several mediocre attempts at split pea soup using different
> types of bone in ham. A few month ago I saw smoked ham hocks at the
> butcher shop and tried that. Wow! That was the missing ingredient. It
> makes an incredible soup.

Smoked pork neckbones works pretty well too. I think y'all have talked
me out of making "chili". I'll just make a pot of pea soup. I have
some ham hocks in the freezer...

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-26, zxcvbob > wrote:

> work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

That's why you CAN NOT substitute split peas for lentils. Unlike
lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
....well, lentils. >:P

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/04/2011 10:23 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-04-26, > wrote:
>
>> work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

> That's why you CAN NOT substitute split peas for lentils. Unlike
> lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
> ...well, lentils.>:P

I remember having them years ago, cooked by people who were in tight
budgets and who weren't great cooks. I was not impressed. Then I had
then in a restaurant in France and I was impressed. I kept meaning to
try cooking them and finally got around to it a few weeks ago. Not
impressed,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 10:22*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 26/04/2011 10:23 AM, notbob wrote:> On 2011-04-26, > *wrote:
>
> >> work. *Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

> > That's why you CAN NOT substitute split peas for lentils. *Unlike
> > lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
> > ...well, lentils.>:P

> * I remember having them years ago, cooked by people who were in tight
> budgets and who weren't great cooks. I was not impressed. Then I had
> then in a restaurant in France and I was impressed. I kept meaning to
> try cooking them and finally got around to it a few weeks ago. *Not
> impressed,

Petit Salé Aux Lentilles is classic French comfort food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I think they fall apart easier than lentils. That's why split pea
> soup is not filled with whole split peas.

Our tap water does not soften legumes very well. Thus, our split pea
soup has split peas that look pretty much like they did in the package,
unless they are smooshed or whizzed by an immersion blender.

And are those whole split peas or split whole peas?

:=)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:14:56 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>

> > I think they fall apart easier than lentils. That's why split pea
> > soup is not filled with whole split peas.

> Our tap water does not soften legumes very well. Thus, our split pea
> soup has split peas that look pretty much like they did in the package,
> unless they are smooshed or whizzed by an immersion blender.

I never use an immersion blender on that. I just let it cook a couple
more minutes.

> And are those whole split peas or split whole peas?

I am not positive, but I think they come out of the pod already split.
Believe it or not, I've actually spent time thinking about it. I
can't imagine someone sitting there, splitting individual peas one by
one (even in ancient times when labor was cheap), because there was so
much more to do in daily life.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

>In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2011-04-26, zxcvbob > wrote:
>>
>> > work. Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

>> That's why you CAN NOT substitute split peas for lentils. Unlike
>> lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
>> ...well, lentils. >:P
>>
>> nb

>Speaking of Lentils, there are three different types I have available.
>The regular brown ones, yellow lentils and some little pink ones about
>1/2 normal size. I have sprouted the pink ones for sprouts (and they
>were quite good) but I've never cooked them into a soup.

I love the red ones. They cook faster than the bigger ones. [I've
sprouted the bigger green and brown ones-- but never the pink ones.
I'll have to give them a try.

If you like saffron at all-- give this a try;
http://www.food.com/recipe/winter-sq...il-stew-217244

It is the original cornucopia of flavors and textures. I've played
with the squash variety, but never the lentils.

Jim
[I'm with Bob, above, who says not to sub them for peas--- but I'm
*not* with *not* bob, who doesn't think lentils taste good.<g>]
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 01:15:51 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

snip

>Speaking of Lentils, there are three different types I have available.
>The regular brown ones, yellow lentils and some little pink ones about
>1/2 normal size. I have sprouted the pink ones for sprouts (and they
>were quite good) but I've never cooked them into a soup.
>
>Anyone ever tried these?
>--

Black ones have also shown up in my stores this last year. They are a
little smaller and taste similar to the others.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 10:23*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-26, zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > work. *Also aren't peas a little sweeter than lentils?

> That's why you CAN NOT substitute split peas for lentils. *Unlike
> lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
> ...well, lentils. * >:P

Well, yellow lentils turn to mush for me if I don't slightly undercook
them.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> And are those whole split peas or split whole peas?
>
> :=)

They are whole split peas.

The split whole peas are the ones that escaped. They split this
popcicle stand. ;^)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-26, notbob > wrote:

> lentils, split peas actually taste GOOD, while lentils taste like
> ...well, lentils. >:P

I jes finished a large bowl of my split pea soup, which I made this
morning. I used the ham stock I'd defatted and added fine chopped
miripoix, simmered till all was soft, then pureed it with stick
blender. I then added fine chopped ham bits. Yum!!

There'll be a mighty wind, tonight.

nb