Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Croissant Experiment

Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
*lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
pain in the *ss they are to make

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

The finished product looks just great! I'm not much of a baker so I doubt
I'll ever attempt it but kudos to you!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees.
>> My
>> take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
>> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
>> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it
>> again?
>> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo!
>> AAMOF, I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member
>> specifically requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I
>> forget what a pain in the *ss they are to make
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>

> The finished product looks just great! I'm not much of a baker so I
> doubt I'll ever attempt it but kudos to you!
>
> Jill

I feel as though I'm in Paris, just looking at them. Good job!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 1:17*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

How beautiful! That's too tempting; can you point me to your recipe?

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 12:17*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

They look beautiful. Recipe somewhere?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 1:17*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

I'm actually making a batch of croissants right now. I use a
different recipe though. Tomorrow I'm making Danish pastries. Here's
a link to some photos I took from the last time I made them. I make
several dozen at one time and wrap them up and freeze them. Thawed
out and heated up in a hot oven they taste almost as good as fresh.
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 11:33*am, " > wrote:
> On Apr 25, 1:17*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>

> > Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> > take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> > always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> > *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> > Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> > I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> > requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> > pain in the *ss they are to make

> >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> > --

> > To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

> I'm actually making a batch of croissants right now. *I use a
> different recipe though.

Different from what? Terry hasn't told us hers.

> *Tomorrow I'm making Danish pastries. *Here's
> a link to some photos I took from the last time I made them. *I make
> several dozen at one time and wrap them up and freeze them. *Thawed
> out and heated up in a hot oven they taste almost as good as fresh.http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

You could turn pro. :-)

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
arranged random neurons and said:

>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

>How beautiful! That's too tempting; can you point me to your recipe?

It's the one from the link that Ranee posted the other day, but here's
the way it got put into my recipe software (Reads long, but it's just
a series of kneading, resting, kneading fiddling):

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Croissants

breads

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water barely warm
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Salt
1 3/4 cup unsalted butter (3 1/2 sticks); cold

In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup of the flour with the water and yeast just
until the lumps of flour are broken up. Set the bowl aside and let
rise for 1 hour.

Add the remaining flour, the cream and salt and knead mixture for 1
minute. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest 20 mins.

Knead the mixture by hand for 10 mins. or in a standard mixer fitted
with the dough hook (on low speed) for about 20 mins. The dough
should be smooth and elastic by the time you finish kneading. Wrap in
plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 mins.

Place the butter between two sheets of plastic wrap and using a
rolling pin, poud the butter into an 8" square.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and on a lightly floured
surface, roll it into a 9" x 17" rectangle. Place the square of
butter on the bottom half of the rectangle. You can use your hands to
align the dough and the sides of the butter square.

Fold the top half of the rectangle of dough down over the bottom half
so the square of butter is now enclosed. Press together the edges of
the square to seal in the butter. Use your hands to even out the
square.

Gently pound the square with a rolling pin to stretch the dough and
the butter in it. Roll the dough into a 9" x 18" rectangle. Next you
want to fold the rectangle into thirds like a letter - start with the
narrow end facing you. Fold the bottom third up.Then fold the top
third down. You've now completed one "turn."

Turn the dough so the single fold (like the spine of a book) is on
your left.

Repeat the process shown above of rolling the dough into a 9" x 18"
rectangle, then fold the rectangle into thirds by brining the borrom
up and the top down over it.. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and
refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Once the dough has been refrigerated, remove it and complete two more
"turns" - for a total of four turns. At this point, the dough is
ready to be rolled out and used. Alternatively, you can wrap in
plastic and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before you shape and
proof (in fact, 12 - 243 hours in the fridge before proofing improves
the flavor of the dough).

Before you begin to shape the dough, line two large baking sheets with
parchment. Also, make sure you have a ruler handy. Cut the dough in
half lengthwise.

On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough into a 6
1/2" x 20" rectangle. The dough will be about 1/8" - 1/4" thick.
Transfer each rectangle onto one of the prepared baking sheets and
refrigerate for about 20 minutes. You want the dough firm, but not
brittle.

When the first rectangle is ready to work with, transfer it back to
your work surface with one of the long ends facing you. The next step
is to cut the triangles from the dough that will be formed into
individual croissants. Starting on the left side of the bottom edge
of the rectangle, measure 5" from the end and make a tiny notch to
mark the base of the first triangle. Measure another 5" from that
notch and make a second notch to mark the base of the second triangle.
Repeat one more time. You should now have marked off four 5" sections.

Turn the rectangles 180° so the opposite long side (the one that
hasn't been notched) is facing you. Starting on the left side, make a
notch 2 1/2" from the end. Measure 5" from the first notch and make a
second notch. Repeat. The second side of the triangle should not be
marked into 5 sections - the 2 sections at the end will each be 2 1/2"
long and the ones in the middle, 5" long.

Leave the rectangles as is - so the second side you notched is closest
to you. The notches on the far side are for the bases of the
triangles and the notches on the near side form the tips of the
triangles. Uswe a large knife to cut the triangles by connecting the
notches on the near and far sides. You should end up with 6 full
triangles. Repeat the process with the second rectangle. Make a
small slit in the base of the center of each triangle.

Begin to roll the triangles to form the croissants by curling the two
sides of the triangle on each side of the slit away from each other.
You want to roll tightly. Using both hands, continue to roll the base
of the triangle - one hand working with the dough on each side of the
slit. Point your hands away from each other - at about 45° from the
center as you roll. Rolling in this manner will help make the classic
croissant shape.

Roll each triangle so the tip is underneath and then bend the 2 ends
toward each other to form a shape like a little crab. Arrange the
croissants on the prepared pans and cover them with plastic wrap to
proof overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Adjust your oven racks so one is in the
top third and one is in the bottom third of the oven. Combine 1 egg
with a splash of cream to form an egg wash and brush the proofed
croissants. Bake about 35 mins. or until the croissants are puffed
and golden brown. Remove them to a wire rack to cool to room
temperature before serving.

Notes: Ranee@RFC from Tracey's Culinary Adventures Blog

Yield: 12 - 14

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:17:03 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
>take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
>always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
>*lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
>Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
>I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
>requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
>pain in the *ss they are to make

Ain't short memories fantastic?<g> I've always said that if our
memories were better, nobody would ever have a second child.

>http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

OTOH- With *that* as a contributing memory, you'll be doing them again
sooner than you believe.

I might give these a try.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 24, 10:17*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

They're not too tough- just time consuming. Nice job, BTW!! Next time,
put a stick of good chocolate in there before forming crescents. Now
you should try making puff dough...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2011 1:17 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
> always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> pain in the *ss they are to make
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

They look great! I'll take that tiny one. It looks crusty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:17:03 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
>take on the experiment is as follows: It was a fun challenge. I'm
>always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
>*lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
>Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
>I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
>requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
>pain in the *ss they are to make
>
>http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Dang, they look like a professional bakery made them. Great job.

koko

James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ha scritto nel messaggio
I'm actually making a batch of croissants right now. I use a
different recipe though. Tomorrow I'm making Danish pastries. Here's
a link to some photos I took from the last time I made them. I make
several dozen at one time and wrap them up and freeze them. Thawed
out and heated up in a hot oven they taste almost as good as fresh.
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/

And that's really the secret, making them when you aren't juggling lots of
other things. Frozen uncooked works too, if you thaw and raise them
overnight on the baking tray and then cook them fresh next day. It doesn't
matter the approach, it's almost the only way you'll ever get real butter
croissants nowadays. Even in Paris they weren't buttery. I think you can
probably find real ones somewhere, but frankly, before breakfast isnt my
favorite time to go looking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

They're really lovely, Terry. I am now starving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 11:57*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:45:00 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >>http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

> >How beautiful! That's too tempting; can you point me to your recipe?

> It's the one from the link that Ranee posted the other day, but here's
> the way it got put into my recipe software (Reads long, but it's just
> a series of kneading, resting, kneading fiddling):
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Croissants
>
> breads
>
> 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 cup water barely warm
> 1/3 cup heavy cream
> 1 teaspoon Salt
> 1 3/4 cup unsalted butter (3 1/2 sticks); cold

I just have one question. Where's the yeast? I don't think the above
ingredients will work w/o yeast.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--Bryan
Banned

Location: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giusi View Post
I'm actually making a batch of croissants right now. I use a
different recipe though. Tomorrow I'm making Danish pastries. Here's
a link to some photos I took from the last time I made them. I make
several dozen at one time and wrap them up and freeze them. Thawed
out and heated up in a hot oven they taste almost as good as fresh.
Danish Pastries pictures by ds99302 - Photobucket

And that's really the secret, making them when you aren't juggling lots of
other things. Frozen uncooked works too, if you thaw and raise them
overnight on the baking tray and then cook them fresh next day. It doesn't
matter the approach, it's almost the only way you'll ever get real butter
croissants nowadays. Even in Paris they weren't buttery. I think you can
probably find real ones somewhere, but frankly, before breakfast isnt my
favorite time to go looking.
Buddy the link you have added in your post is not working...!!
I tried to open it but got an error message of "The page is not available".So kindly check it yourself and then repost the link which will work properly..!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 6:53*am, Austin11 >
wrote:
> Giusi;1608383 Wrote:
>

> > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I'm actually making a batch of croissants right now. *I use a
> > different recipe though. *Tomorrow I'm making Danish pastries. *Here's
> > a link to some photos I took from the last time I made them. *I make
> > several dozen at one time and wrap them up and freeze them. *Thawed
> > out and heated up in a hot oven they taste almost as good as fresh.
> > 'Danish Pastries pictures by ds99302 - Photobucket'
> > (http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/)

> > And that's really the secret, making them when you aren't juggling lots
> > of
> > other things. *Frozen uncooked works too, if you thaw and raise them
> > overnight on the baking tray and then cook them fresh next day. *It
> > doesn't
> > matter the approach, it's almost the only way you'll ever get real
> > butter
> > croissants nowadays. *Even in Paris they weren't buttery. *I think you
> > can
> > probably find real ones somewhere, but frankly, before breakfast isnt my

> > favorite time to go looking.

> Buddy the link you have added in your post is not working...!!
> I tried to open it but got an error message of "The page is not
> available".So kindly check it yourself and then repost the link which
> will work properly..!!!

It works for me. Try again.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:09:49 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
arranged random neurons and said:

>They're not too tough- just time consuming. Nice job, BTW!! Next time,
>put a stick of good chocolate in there before forming crescents. Now
>you should try making puff dough...

I've never seen the point of making homemade puff pastry when
Pepperidge Farms does such a lovely job of it

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reposting Croissant Recipe - Correction

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:39:09 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> arranged random neurons and said:
>>

>I just have one question. Where's the yeast? I don't think the above
>ingredients will work w/o yeast.

Aaacckk!! Yer right. I forgot to input the yeast. Reposting with the
missing ingredient:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Croissants

breads

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water barely warm
1 teaspoon yeast
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 25, 5:09*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Apr 24, 10:17*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>

> > Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> > take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> > always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> > *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> > Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> > I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> > requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> > pain in the *ss they are to make

> >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> > --

> > To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

> They're not too tough- just time consuming. Nice job, BTW!! Next time,
> put a stick of good chocolate in there before forming crescents. Now
> you should try making puff dough...- Hide quoted text -

Puff dough? That would be the same as croissant dough. Did you mean
"cream puff dough?" That's super-easy, for anyone, even the kitchen-
challenged. What is puff dough?

The only one I'd never try is fillo (phyllo).

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 8:53*am, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:09:49 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
> >They're not too tough- just time consuming. Nice job, BTW!! Next time,
> >put a stick of good chocolate in there before forming crescents. Now
> >you should try making puff dough...

> I've never seen the point of making homemade puff pastry when
> Pepperidge Farms does such a lovely job of it
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Just to say you've done it...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 9:16*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Apr 25, 5:09*pm, merryb > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 24, 10:17*pm, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> > > Big props for the croissants made from scratch from the attendees. My
> > > take on the experiment is as follows: *It was a fun challenge. I'm
> > > always up for challenging my learn-a-bility. The croissants took a
> > > *lot* of patience. They turned out beautifully. Would I do it again?
> > > Yes. Would I do it again other than a Big Deal Holiday? Nooooo! AAMOF,
> > > I doubt I'd make them again unless a family member specifically
> > > requested them. Okay, I lied. I'll do 'em again when I forget what a
> > > pain in the *ss they are to make

> > >http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=sxoold&s=7

> > > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> > > --

> > > To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

> > They're not too tough- just time consuming. Nice job, BTW!! Next time,
> > put a stick of good chocolate in there before forming crescents. Now
> > you should try making puff dough...- Hide quoted text -

> Puff dough? *That would be the same as croissant dough. *Did you mean
> "cream puff dough?" *That's super-easy, for anyone, even the kitchen-
> challenged. *What is puff dough?
>
> The only one I'd never try is fillo (phyllo).
>
> N.- Hide quoted text -

No, I'm talking puff pastry- cream puff dough is Pate a choux, and
it's waaaay different. Puff dough and croissant dough are different
(croissant has yeast, puff doesn't), but the technique is pretty much
the same for both...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:06:27 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

> On Apr 26, 6:53*am, Austin11 >
> wrote:
> > Giusi;1608383 Wrote:

> > > 'Danish Pastries pictures by ds99302 - Photobucket'
> > > (http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...sh%20Pastries/)

> > Buddy the link you have added in your post is not working...!!
> > I tried to open it but got an error message of "The page is not
> > available". So kindly check it yourself and then repost the link which
> > will work properly..!!!

> It works for me. Try again.

It works for me too. Maybe photobucket requires a registration - I
don't remember.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Question about a croissant recipe [email protected] General Cooking 5 18-05-2009 01:45 AM
german croissant [email protected] General Cooking 5 14-03-2006 05:20 PM
Cheese croissant ScratchMonkey General Cooking 8 27-05-2004 07:15 AM
croissant al Baking 1 20-02-2004 09:28 PM
Croissant-- history of ASmith1946 Historic 14 19-02-2004 03:06 AM