Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pecorino Romano vs Parmigiano Reggiano

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:08:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I used to make a chocolate tweed cake
> that called for that.

I had to look that one up, but I still don't understand what's Tweed
about it. Did you always make layers or can it be a sheet cake?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:10:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I stand corrected. I looked it up and what I have *is* called a microplane.
> Oops!

They have all sorts of shapes now, even a box grater and wonder of
wonders - they sell microplanes at the grocery store (although I have
only seen the narrow one where I shop).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:57:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:08:32 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>> I used to make a chocolate tweed cake
>> that called for that.

>I had to look that one up, but I still don't understand what's Tweed
>about it.

Obviously a typo, she meant a chocolate weed cake. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Not all Romano is made from sheep, especially here in the U.S. but if
> it specifies "Pecorino" then it better be from sheeps milk.

I am amazed how similar cheese can be made when the base milk came from
different types of critter. The best romano is made from sheep milk
like the best mozzerella is made from water buffalo milk, but top
quality ones of both types are made from cow milk. Not the best but
quite excellent nonetheless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Not all Romano is made from sheep, especially here in the U.S. but if
>> it specifies "Pecorino" then it better be from sheeps milk.

> I am amazed how similar cheese can be made when the base milk came from
> different types of critter. The best romano is made from sheep milk
> like the best mozzerella is made from water buffalo milk, but top
> quality ones of both types are made from cow milk.

Not really. Romano cheese isn't real. Pecorino Romano is real and is made
of ewe's milk using rennet from calve's stomachs. Pecorino Sardo is made of
ewe's milk using rennet from lambs' stomachs. If you use any other kind of
milk it is called other names such as cacciocavallo, but not Pecorino.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> I am amazed how similar cheese can be made when the base milk came from
>> different types of critter. The best romano is made from sheep milk
>> like the best mozzerella is made from water buffalo milk, but top
>> quality ones of both types are made from cow milk.

> Not really. Romano cheese isn't real.

You have an extremely different threshhold for the word "real" than I
do. Velveeta is not "real". There are a lot of options for American
process cheese that make it not "real". But saying Romano cheese isn't
real is like saying Cheddar isn't real. Have fun with that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default List of less-than-good cheeses?? Pecorino Romano vs ParmigianoReggiano

On 4/26/2011 3:51 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-04-26, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> Velveeta is indeed real cheese

> Yep. It's "real" bad.

A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese
that is used by some pizzerias and bars/grills in the St. Louis area.
That stuff is ghastly, especially on a pizza!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-26, Sky > wrote:

> A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese

Anything that labels itself as Real California Cheese. The most dull,
insipid, tasteless mega mfr cheese every invented.

http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/about/heritage/rcc25/

One step below Playdough.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-26, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> The label is not what makes it real. The product is what makes it real.

Sometimes it's the location that makes it real, regardless of labels
OR product. Having cut my teeth on CA wines, I've discovered there
are some things the French jes do better. Not cuz of labels or knowhow,
but cuz of location. If you prefer rich CA chards over delicate Fr
wht Burgundies (same grape), fine by me. I don't. The same companies
that make some of the best Champagnes in France now have their own
wineries in CA. Same product? Not for my money! You can
build up the most awesome aquafarming operation in the World, but I
doubt you'll ever match natural Caspian Sea caviar for subtle flavor.

I don't know what the Scots are doing. Some kinda bare bog ass peat
thing. Whatever. It's all crap to me.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese
> that is used by some pizzerias and bars/grills in the St. Louis area.
> That stuff is ghastly, especially on a pizza!

My least favorite cheese is gjetost, and I'm part
Norwegian. Could have been worse. Could have been
part Swedish. I've never eaten lutefisk, but from
what I've heard it's worse than gjetost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 2:38*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-04-26, Sky > wrote:
>
> > A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese

> Anything that labels itself as Real California Cheese. *The most dull,
> insipid, tasteless mega mfr cheese every invented. *
>
> http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/about/heritage/rcc25/
>
> One step below Playdough.

Sure, whoever even heard of Monterey Jack or Humboldt Fog? It's not
like Marin Cheese has been making its awardwinning Rouge et Noir
specialties for decades. Cowgirl Creamery, Laura Chenel -- who are
they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>> "Doug Freyburger" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>> I am amazed how similar cheese can be made when the base milk came from
>>> different types of critter. The best romano is made from sheep milk
>>> like the best mozzerella is made from water buffalo milk, but top
>>> quality ones of both types are made from cow milk.

>> Not really. Romano cheese isn't real.

> You have an extremely different threshhold for the word "real" than I
> do. Velveeta is not "real". There are a lot of options for American
> process cheese that make it not "real". But saying Romano cheese isn't
> real is like saying Cheddar isn't real. Have fun with that.

You might as well call it George, because Romano, in spite of collective
supermarket trolling in the USA, means nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 5:27*pm, HumBug! > wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2011 21:38:31 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2011-04-26, Sky > wrote:

> >> A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese

> >Anything that labels itself as Real California Cheese. *The most dull,
> >insipid, tasteless mega mfr cheese every invented. *

> >http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/about/heritage/rcc25/

> >One step below Playdough.

> THAT is, simply, STUPID!
>
> HOW does joining a marketing group make the cheese bad? *
>
> If it DIDN'T have the 'real California' label on it,
> it would TASTE different??

I was wrong.

Marin Cheese hasn't been making their specialties for decades.

Marin Cheese has been making their special REAL CALIFORNIA CHEESES
since 1865. The oldest cheese company in the US, they claim:

http://www.marinfrenchcheese.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i like it in some dishes but not on pizza, eeiiwy, lol, Lee
"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 4/26/2011 3:51 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2011-04-26, Brooklyn1<Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>> Velveeta is indeed real cheese

>> Yep. It's "real" bad.

> A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese
> that is used by some pizzerias and bars/grills in the St. Louis area. That
> stuff is ghastly, especially on a pizza!
>
> Sky
>

> --
>
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-27, HumBug! > wrote:

> HOW does joining a marketing group make the cheese bad?

You ever eaten the stuff, hohumbug? Proof enough.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 1:10*am, "Giusi" > wrote:

> You might as well call it George, because Romano, in spite of collective
> supermarket trolling in the USA, means nothing.

If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
It's as real as it gets.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26 Apr 2011 21:38:31 GMT, notbob > arranged
random neurons and said:

>On 2011-04-26, Sky > wrote:
>
>> A candidate for really bad cheese is that 'provel/provelle' (sp?) cheese

>Anything that labels itself as Real California Cheese. The most dull,
>insipid, tasteless mega mfr cheese every invented.
>
>http://www.realcaliforniamilk.com/about/heritage/rcc25/
>
>One step below Playdough.

Yahbut, but, but the mfrs carpet bomb the state with coupons. Coupons!
They even put stickers on their cheese that give you a discount! You
can *save money* buying this stuff and inflicting it on your friends
and family!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jerry Avins" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" > wrote:

> You might as well call it George, because Romano, in spite of collective
> supermarket trolling in the USA, means nothing.

If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
It's as real as it gets.

Jerry, I live in Italy and I buy lots of genuine cheeses that have the last
name Romano, but Romano alone means nothing. Really.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> The label is not what makes it real. The product is what makes it real.

> Sometimes it's the location that makes it real, regardless of labels
> OR product.

Yeah, and Jack Daniels isn't bourbon according to the label. I've
tasted it and it tastes like a bourbon.

> I don't know what the Scots are doing. Some kinda bare bog ass peat
> thing. Whatever. It's all crap to me.

They put in the wrong ingredients or not enough ingredients. They take
perfectly good source material for a good ale and forget to put hops in
it. But there are folks who love that barley-only whiskey and good for
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-04-27, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Yeah, and Jack Daniels isn't bourbon according to the label. I've
> tasted it and it tastes like a bourbon.

Too each their own. I love a good Bourbon and hate JD. Go figure.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2011 10:46 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
> It's as real as it gets.

That's the brand my store had and what I bought. Do you find it overly
salty? Do you buy it as a block or already shredded (powdered)? It came
in a plastic tub. Very intense flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Jerry Avins" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

>> You might as well call it George, because Romano, in spite of collective
>> supermarket trolling in the USA, means nothing.

> If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
> It's as real as it gets.
>
> Jerry, I live in Italy and I buy lots of genuine cheeses that have the
> last name Romano, but Romano alone means nothing. Really.

http://bestnewyorkfoods.com/locatell...ellicheese.htm
History about Locatelli Romano Cheese

Dating back to ancient Roman times, Pecorino Romano is one of the world's
oldest recorded cheeses. Pecorino is an Italian word meaning from sheep's
milk, and Romano indicates that this cheese is of Roman descent. All
Pecorino Romano is made in either Lazio, Tuscany, or Sardinia during the
months between November and June. These three regions have very similar
pastures and breeds of sheep, ensuring consistent flavor and quality.
Pecorino Romano is a name protected (DOC) cheese whose production is
overseen by the Consorzio per la Tulela del Formaggio Pecorino Romano. There
are numerous Pecorinos made throughout Italy, but only one Pecorino Romano.
Perhaps the most famous brand for Pecorino Romano in the US is Locatelli.
Aged for a minimum of 9 months, this cheese is hard and dense; strong and
sharp in flavor. It is pale yellow in color with a black paper rind bearing
the name Locatelli. Grate this cheese then serve it over pasta, salads,
Garlic Bread and soups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 6:24*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 4/27/2011 10:46 AM, Jerry Avins wrote:
>
> > If you don't want to try different makers, just get Locatelli romano.
> > It's as real as it gets.

> That's the brand my store had and what I bought. *Do you find it overly
> salty? *Do you buy it as a block or already shredded (powdered)? It came
> in a plastic tub. *Very intense flavor.

It's rather salty, but then I use it on pasta and I salt neither the
pasta nor the home-made sauce. My store charges about $.50 a pound
more for grated, so I grate it myself. I buy a pound or more when it's
on sale and grate no more than half a pound at a time. My Quisinart
DLC-8 makes quick work of it and cleans up much more easily than from
cheddar.

Jerry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>> Jerry, I live in Italy and I buy lots of genuine cheeses that have the
>> last name Romano, but Romano alone means nothing. Really.
>>

> http://bestnewyorkfoods.com/locatell...ellicheese.htm
> History about Locatelli Romano Cheese
>
> Dating back to ancient Roman times, Pecorino Romano is one of the world's
> oldest recorded cheeses. Pecorino is an Italian word meaning from sheep's
> milk, and Romano indicates that this cheese is of Roman descent.

Pecorino Romano is a real cheese, as indicated above. Romano doesn't have
to do with being Roman, but that they use calvesì rennet to make it. AFAIK,
no cheesemaker in Sardegna makes Pecorino Romano, but instead Pecorino
Sardo, which uses lamb's rennet.

It MUST be sheep's milk, and never as someone said earlier sometimes cow's
milk or even in part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:29:03 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> Pecorino Romano is a real cheese, as indicated above. Romano doesn't have
> to do with being Roman, but that they use calvesì rennet to make it. AFAIK,
> no cheesemaker in Sardegna makes Pecorino Romano, but instead Pecorino
> Sardo, which uses lamb's rennet.
>
> It MUST be sheep's milk, and never as someone said earlier sometimes cow's
> milk or even in part.

You're an American. What should we be calling the stuff we get over
here and why is it labeled Romano?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 07:29:03 +0200, "Giusi" >
> wrote:
>

>> Pecorino Romano is a real cheese, as indicated above. Romano doesn't
>> have
>> to do with being Roman, but that they use calvesì rennet to make it.
>> AFAIK,
>> no cheesemaker in Sardegna makes Pecorino Romano, but instead Pecorino
>> Sardo, which uses lamb's rennet.
>>
>> It MUST be sheep's milk, and never as someone said earlier sometimes
>> cow's
>> milk or even in part.
>>

> You're an American. What should we be calling the stuff we get over
> here and why is it labeled Romano?

Pecorino. You rarely get any choice as to which to buy, so you don't need a
surname to differentiate, usually. I did buy Pecorino Sardo in New York at
Citarella, but I was really surprised to find it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi > wrote:

> Pecorino Romano is a real cheese, as indicated above. Romano doesn't have
> to do with being Roman, but that they use calvesì rennet to make it. AFAIK,
> no cheesemaker in Sardegna makes Pecorino Romano, but instead Pecorino
> Sardo, which uses lamb's rennet.

Well, it used to be produced in Latium, hence the name, and some of it
is still produced there.

In Sardinia, they do produce Pecorino Sardo, of course, but nowadays
actually also most of Pecorino Romano.

See also
<http://www.pecorinoromano.com/en/il-pecorino-romano/rules-and-regulations.html>

> It MUST be sheep's milk, and never as someone said earlier sometimes cow's
> milk or even in part.

I think certain people will remain convinced that Italy and its language
is not much more than a figment of your imagination and that "Romano" is a
cheese. It is funny, actually...

I would just explain it all in somewhat different words, as I have done
before...
In Italy, at least, "pecorino" is generic sheep's milk cheese; "romano,"
in this context, indicates the region and/or the particular method of
production of a cheese. There are also Pecorino Siciliano, Pecorino
Sardo, Pecorino Toscano, etc.
On the other hand, there is Cacio Romano, which is also a pecorino, but
which is not explicitly named so and which is different from PecorinoRromano.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:22:44 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> Pecorino. You rarely get any choice as to which to buy, so you don't need a
> surname to differentiate, usually. I did buy Pecorino Sardo in New York at
> Citarella, but I was really surprised to find it.

Okay then. The one time I got fancy and wanted cheese in an Italian
restaurant, I asked for pecorino and got a surprised look from the
waiter (and cheese too). I thought I'd said the wrong thing, but
apparently he was surprised I asked correctly.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 5:38*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2011 14:11:57 GMT, notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2011-04-27, HumBug! > wrote:

> >> HOW does joining a marketing group make the cheese bad? *

> > You ever eaten the stuff, hohumbug? *Proof enough.

> You get more and more ridiculous every day.

True that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> and champagne only comes from France.

Exactly. Throw those sparklers in the toilet and buy yourself a Champagne
(note the capital C)
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking