Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Floating Island vs Smores

Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:04:49 -0400, Christopher M. wrote:
>
>> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of
>> softly
>> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores
>> are
>> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.

How I loved Julia Child. She said her favorite food was a BLT with a home
grown tomato, Hellman's mayonnaise and white bread. I happened to be
watching the night she was a guest on Emerald Lagasse's show. He was being
quite tedious about whatever he was cooking and she said, "All that's quite
unnecessary". When Martha Stewart remarked that she only used fresh eggs,
Julia replied, "Then you should have brought your own". She was never
boring. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Christopher M." > wrote:

> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Frankly, I don't think one has anything to do with the other.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher M. wrote:
> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

When as an adult I tried s'mores again I gagged over the sweetness. What
I loved as a child was not the same as what I love as an adult.
Gimme those floating islands, please!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:33:24 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>Christopher M. wrote:
>> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
>> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
>> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.
>>

>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>When as an adult I tried s'mores again I gagged over the sweetness. What
>I loved as a child was not the same as what I love as an adult.

I still enjoy a toasted marshmallow every couple of years--- and I
like a *good* chocolate bar. but I like my graham crackers under a
cheeseca. . . er. . . cheesepie.

>Gimme those floating islands, please!

Never had 'em-- but it sounds enticing. I would have thought the
meringue would just melt if you tried to poach it.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:15:37 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:33:24 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>

> >Gimme those floating islands, please!

> Never had 'em-- but it sounds enticing.

I'm in the camp that says the only good meringue found is on a pie.

> I would have thought the
> meringue would just melt if you tried to poach it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:33:24 -0400, Goomba >
>wrote:

-snip-

>>Gimme those floating islands, please!

>Never had 'em-- but it sounds enticing. I would have thought the
>meringue would just melt if you tried to poach it.

I was going to look for Julia's recipe-- but saw this one first--
http://blog.michaelscateringsb.com/c...-snowball.html

Yeah--- that looks like I could eat it.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 04:33:24 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>>Christopher M. wrote:
>>> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of
>>> softly
>>> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores
>>> are
>>> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.
>>>

>>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

>>When as an adult I tried s'mores again I gagged over the sweetness. What
>>I loved as a child was not the same as what I love as an adult.

> I still enjoy a toasted marshmallow every couple of years--- and I
> like a *good* chocolate bar. but I like my graham crackers under a
> cheeseca. . . er. . . cheesepie.

I think many people make the mistake of under-toasting their marshmallows.

>>Gimme those floating islands, please!

> Never had 'em-- but it sounds enticing. I would have thought the
> meringue would just melt if you tried to poach it.

Don't underestimate the power of eggs.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:04:49 -0400, Christopher M. wrote:
>>
>>> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of
>>> softly
>>> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores
>>> are
>>> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.

> How I loved Julia Child. She said her favorite food was a BLT with a home
> grown tomato,

There's nothing like a home-grown tomato. Sadly my tomato plants were eaten
by squirrels last year.

> Hellman's mayonnaise and white bread. I happened to be watching the night
> she was a guest on Emerald Lagasse's show. He was being quite tedious
> about whatever he was cooking and she said, "All that's quite
> unnecessary". When Martha Stewart remarked that she only used fresh eggs,
> Julia replied, "Then you should have brought your own". She was never
> boring. Polly

Julia once dropped a fish on the floor to make a point to germaphobes.

Martha Stewart once manhandled Mario Batali.

Emeril tried to stuff a bologna in an oven once. Emeril's done lots of funny
things.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stuck up, psycho and Cuckoo are great descriptions of Janet.

You could add dyke, bitchy, egotistical, ignorant and whiny to it and
still remain accurate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:24:22 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Women. I have this maddening effect on them.
>
>I'm through with your female logic for a few days. Come back again
>next week.
>
>-sw

You don't understand, squirty. Janet is more man than you are. She has
probably had more women than you have also. Neither you or her have
any balls, so I'd say you're evenly matched.

The next time you dress up in your dress and high heels, maybe you two
can get together. I'm sure Janet has a strap-on that would make your
boyfriend jealous and you pass out with joy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 9:04*pm, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
> poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
> much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Sure, they're probably more popular. Just about anyone can whip up
some s'mores, but, in my opinion, it takes real courage and knowhow to
put together a floating island, esp. if you want to serve it to
guests. I would never attempt it. Goes in same category as Baked
Alaska and souffle. I don't even attempt lemon meringue pie!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
in my opinion, it takes real courage and knowhow toput together a floating
island, esp. if you want to serve it toguests. I would never attempt it.
Goes in same category as Baked
Alaska and souffle. I don't even attempt lemon meringue pie!!

Now that's sad. None of those things are hard. Read the directions and
follow them. Even the hardest recipes are really a series of simple things
strung together. Maybe some of the ophysical moves requires practice,,, but
anyway, the ones you mention aren't like that at all. I taught my kid to
make baked Alaska when she was 10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:20:40 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Landon > wrote:
>
>> Stuck up, psycho and Cuckoo are great descriptions of Janet.
>>
>> You could add dyke, bitchy, egotistical, ignorant and whiny to it and
>> still remain accurate.

>Oh chill. ;->

Ok. Until they attack again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 16, 9:04 pm, "Christopher M." >
> wrote:
>> Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds
>> of softly poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard
>> sauce). But s'mores are much more popular. I think Julia Child
>> missed the boat on this one.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> Sure, they're probably more popular. Just about anyone can whip up
> some s'mores, but, in my opinion, it takes real courage and knowhow to
> put together a floating island, esp. if you want to serve it to
> guests. I would never attempt it. Goes in same category as Baked
> Alaska and souffle. I don't even attempt lemon meringue pie!!

Yeah. Soufflés are hell.

I buy lemon meeringue pies. Why bother making it. You don't eat it hot. Pies
are made for freezing.

I'll have to try Baked Alaska sometime.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:34:11 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:

> Yeah. Soufflés are hell.

Oh, come on. What's so hard about a souffle?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:34:11 -0400, "Christopher M."
> > wrote:
>
>> Yeah. Soufflés are hell.

> Oh, come on. What's so hard about a souffle?

What's hard is if someone doesn't pay attention. It says serve immediately
but to them it means yell for someone to set the table when it's almost
ready and watch it deflate while people yell excuses at each other.

The directions say to make a paper cuff and tie it with a string around the
dish, but that sounds too slow so they let it flop over the side and look
like parrot poo.

It says fold the mixture into the egg whites but they use the electric mixer
on low.

Lemon meringue pie is the same...easy but precision required for the
meringue. I've heard people complain that their electric mixer isn't strong
enough to whip meringue. People made meringue before there were electric
mixers! They just don't re-clean their bowls and beaters and have allowed
some atmospheric fat to ruin their work.

You're right. Nothing hard about these things if you pay attention.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:09:26 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:34:11 -0400, "Christopher M."
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah. Soufflés are hell.

>Oh, come on. What's so hard about a souffle?

Nothing, if it is done right.<g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > ha scritto nel messaggio
, sf > wrote:

>>Oh, come on. What's so hard about a souffle?

> Nothing, if it is done right.<g>

Clever devil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Landon wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:20:40 -0500, Omelet
> >
> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> Landon > wrote:
>>
>>> Stuck up, psycho and Cuckoo are great
>>> descriptions of Janet.
>>>
>>> You could add dyke, bitchy, egotistical,
>>> ignorant and whiny to it
>>> and still remain accurate.

>> Oh chill. ;->

> Ok. Until they attack again.

Until "they" attack again?

Be careful. "They" are all out to get you.

"They" are waiting for you everywhere.

You cannot escape. "They" will find you.

What will you call yourself for your next
incarnation?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Frank Burns" > wrote:

> Landon wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:20:40 -0500, Omelet
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In article

> >> Oh chill. ;->

> > Ok. Until they attack again.

> Until "they" attack again?
>
> Be careful. "They" are all out to get you.
>
> "They" are waiting for you everywhere.
>
> You cannot escape. "They" will find you.
>
> What will you call yourself for your next
> incarnation?

Vic Tim.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher M.[_2_] View Post
Julia Child said her favorite dessert was floating islands (clouds of softly
poached meringue floating on a warm vanilla custard sauce). But s'mores are
much more popular. I think Julia Child missed the boat on this one.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)
I dont like the sounds of a floating island. And smores are definitely a classic favorite when growing up...