Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Silly food/menu descriptions

What's the silliest, dumbest, most ludicrous food and/or menu
description/title you've ever run across.

We've all heard of the ubiquitous pork "medallions", like they're
gonna hang one on yer chest. I love the Texas steakhouse menu that
promised on its salad page, "No Lawn Clippings". The one that gave me
a chuckle in a comedy movie was delivered in your cliched Hollywood
"My name is Bruce and I'll be your server" lisp.

"Would you like to start off with some of our special Haitian tribal
crudites"?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2011 5:52 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> What's the silliest, dumbest, most ludicrous food and/or menu
>> description/title you've ever run across.

> At Safeway, I've seen pre-prepared packets of
> "Au Jus Sauce". It would serve the buyer right
> if the packet was empty. Just add meat juices
> to the contents of the packet!

Unfortunately, that silly use of "Au Jus" (with juice) is common in
stores and restaurants.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm "not"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> What's the silliest, dumbest, most ludicrous food and/or menu
> description/title you've ever run across.
>
> We've all heard of the ubiquitous pork "medallions", like they're
> gonna hang one on yer chest. I love the Texas steakhouse menu that
> promised on its salad page, "No Lawn Clippings". The one that gave me
> a chuckle in a comedy movie was delivered in your cliched Hollywood
> "My name is Bruce and I'll be your server" lisp.
>
> "Would you like to start off with some of our special Haitian tribal
> crudites"?

A restaurant here on Capital Hill used to have a sandwich called "Tuna In A
Pocket". It was on pita bread.

When I tried to order it, I told the waiter that I wanted "Tuna In Your
Pocket". I didn't mean to say it. It just slipped out. Everyone at the
table was laughing about it but the waiter didn't find it humorous one bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> What's the silliest, dumbest, most ludicrous food and/or menu
> description/title you've ever run across.

At Safeway, I've seen pre-prepared packets of
"Au Jus Sauce". It would serve the buyer right
if the packet was empty. Just add meat juices
to the contents of the packet!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie wrote:

> A restaurant here on Capital Hill used to have a sandwich called "Tuna In
> A Pocket". It was on pita bread.
>
> When I tried to order it, I told the waiter that I wanted "Tuna In Your
> Pocket". I didn't mean to say it. It just slipped out. Everyone at the
> table was laughing about it but the waiter didn't find it humorous one
> bit.

At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I remember back in the 80's they had a couple Po Folks restaurants
here in the Greenville area, it was a country cooking restaurant; the
times I ate there I always had a good meal and I remember they served
iced tea in mason jars. I remember on their menus there were lots of
intentionally misspelled words and occasionally a letter would be
backwards. After a google search I was surprised to find there are
still a few of them left, mostly in Florida.

http://www.pofolks.com/menuitems.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 4/13/2011 2:38 PM, notbob wrote:
> What's the silliest, dumbest, most ludicrous food and/or menu
> description/title you've ever run across.
>
> We've all heard of the ubiquitous pork "medallions", like they're
> gonna hang one on yer chest. I love the Texas steakhouse menu that
> promised on its salad page, "No Lawn Clippings". The one that gave me
> a chuckle in a comedy movie was delivered in your cliched Hollywood
> "My name is Bruce and I'll be your server" lisp.

Homemade marinade that uses coca-cola as a base (is that an oxymoron?) :>>

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:56:17 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> Homemade marinade that uses coca-cola as a base (is that an oxymoron?) :>>

That's a Hawaiian marinade, sky.

Here's the drill

soya
soda (coke or 7UP) not diet
sugar (or peanut butter)
garlic
ginger
cilantro
green onion
liquor (like bourbon)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 10:18*pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
> I remember back in the 80's they had a couple Po Folks restaurants
> here in the Greenville area, it was a country cooking restaurant; the
> times I ate there I always had a good meal and I remember they served
> iced tea in mason jars. *I remember on their menus there were lots of
> intentionally misspelled words and occasionally a letter would be
> backwards. *After a google search I was surprised to find there are
> still a few of them left, mostly in Florida.
>
> http://www.pofolks.com/menuitems.htm

I live in Greenville also and had forgotten about Po Folks and now I
can't remember where they were - the Greer area? I remember going
there to eat red beans and rice and beans and cornbread. They were
sorta like Cracker Barrel. I can't believe I hadn't even missed them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:15:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Julie wrote:
>
>> A restaurant here on Capital Hill used to have a sandwich called "Tuna In
>> A Pocket". It was on pita bread.
>>
>> When I tried to order it, I told the waiter that I wanted "Tuna In Your
>> Pocket". I didn't mean to say it. It just slipped out. Everyone at the
>> table was laughing about it but the waiter didn't find it humorous one
>> bit.

>At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

Great clip. He rocks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 3:38*pm, Libby > wrote:
> On Apr 13, 10:18*pm, "Michael O'Connor" > wrote:
>
> > I remember back in the 80's they had a couple Po Folks restaurants
> > here in the Greenville area, it was a country cooking restaurant; the
> > times I ate there I always had a good meal and I remember they served
> > iced tea in mason jars. *I remember on their menus there were lots of
> > intentionally misspelled words and occasionally a letter would be
> > backwards. *After a google search I was surprised to find there are
> > still a few of them left, mostly in Florida.

> >http://www.pofolks.com/menuitems.htm

> I live in Greenville also and had forgotten about Po Folks and now I
> can't remember where they were - the Greer area? *I remember going
> there to eat red beans and rice and beans and cornbread. *They were
> sorta like Cracker Barrel. *I can't believe I hadn't even missed them.

Po Folks is kinda like Cracker Barrel without the shop in front that
sells cookbooks and t shirts and stuff, and they weren't open for
breakfast. Also, every Cracker Barrel I've ever seen is located at a
highway exit to accommodate the truckers and travelers. I think there
was a PoFolks in Greer; might have eaten there once. There was
another that I used to eat at on South Pleasantburg between McAlister
Square and Greenville Tech near the Tanners Big Orange; I think it's a
pawn shop or gold exchange place these days but that PoFolks closed
about fifteen years ago. I remember the last time I ate at that
PoFolks I got the all you can eat Country Fried Steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 3:17*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:15:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>
> > wrote:
> >Julie wrote:

> >> A restaurant here on Capital Hill used to have a sandwich called "Tuna In
> >> A Pocket". *It was on pita bread.

> >> When I tried to order it, I told the waiter that I wanted "Tuna In Your
> >> Pocket". *I didn't mean to say it. *It just slipped out. *Everyone at the
> >> table was laughing about it but the waiter didn't find it humorous one
> >> bit.

> >At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

> Great clip. *He rocks.

There are a lot of great moments in that movie. I thought he was
brilliant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:16:23 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Apr 14, 3:17*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:15:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.

>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

>> Great clip. *He rocks.

>There are a lot of great moments in that movie. I thought he was
>brilliant.

Ummm..He still is. Now I have to watch one of his movies tonight.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 8:16*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 3:17*pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:15:05 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"

> > > wrote:

> > >At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.

> > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

> > Great clip. *He rocks.

> There are a lot of great moments in that movie. *I thought he was
> brilliant.

==
Yes, he was brilliant...thank gawd all waitresses aren't like that
wretch.
==
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/04/2011 4:17 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> At least you didn't tell him to hold the tuna -- between his knees.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

> Great clip. He rocks.

I just saw that movie for the first time a few months ago. It was great.
I saw another oldie goldie previously unseen (by me) last night. I was
putting something away in my son's room and saw that he had a VHS of
Taxi Driver. It is hard watching an old VHS after HDTV and bluray, but
it is a great movie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:20:24 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>> >There are a lot of great moments in that movie. I thought he was
>> >brilliant.

>> Ummm..He still is. Now I have to watch one of his movies tonight.
>>
>> Lou

>"Witches of Eastwick".
>
>Some fabulous monologues. :-)

The Witches of Breastwick has some fabulous hooters. lol