Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Disgusting foods.

Mark wrote:

> Yes, lamb is good. I think I had mutton once.
> It was little bits of meat roasted on a skewer.
> Incredibly packed with flavor. I wish I could
> get it again.

There's a guy who raises lambs locally and sells the meat (and treated
skins) at our farmers' markets. On rare occasions he's got mutton for sale
at a MUCH lower price. I recently cooked some of his mutton. It was
full-flavored, but needed longer cooking than lamb to become tender.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> There's a guy who raises lambs locally and sells the meat (and treated
> skins) at our farmers' markets. On rare occasions he's got mutton for sale
> at a MUCH lower price. I recently cooked some of his mutton. It was
> full-flavored, but needed longer cooking than lamb to become tender.

Now that I think about it, I think one of the
Campbell's soups back in the old days listed
mutton as an ingredient. Possibly Scotch Broth.
That had tripe in it. It was my favorite, after
picking out the carrots. (I detest cooked carrots.)
I better not try it again. Campbell's has probably
messed it up like they did with Cream of Chicken,
and it might damage my pleasant memories of Scotch
Broth to find out what it's like now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 14/04/2011 12:59 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > I have had lots of lamb but not mutton. From what I gather from
> > > people who have had both, it would not likely have been something
> > > great.

> > Do you have to braise it?
> >

> Lamb? No. Lamb is great roasted. The only lamb I braise is lamb
> shanks or stewing lamb.

No I meant mutton.

I also braise shanks. It seems a shame because I always like lamb on the
rare side, but I doubt there's a way to braise anything and get even a
little medium rare in the middle.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> There's a guy who raises lambs locally and sells the meat (and treated
>> skins) at our farmers' markets. On rare occasions he's got mutton for
>> sale
>> at a MUCH lower price. I recently cooked some of his mutton. It was
>> full-flavored, but needed longer cooking than lamb to become tender.

> Now that I think about it, I think one of the
> Campbell's soups back in the old days listed
> mutton as an ingredient. Possibly Scotch Broth.
> That had tripe in it. It was my favorite, after
> picking out the carrots. (I detest cooked carrots.)
> I better not try it again. Campbell's has probably
> messed it up like they did with Cream of Chicken,
> and it might damage my pleasant memories of Scotch
> Broth to find out what it's like now.

Yes, it was Scotch Broth. I ate it and loved it as a child. Then again I
loved chicken hearts as a child.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/04/2011 12:24 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

>> Lamb? No. Lamb is great roasted. The only lamb I braise is lamb
>> shanks or stewing lamb.

> No I meant mutton.
>
> I also braise shanks. It seems a shame because I always like lamb on the
> rare side, but I doubt there's a way to braise anything and get even a
> little medium rare in the middle.

Chops are nice and tender and by eating them rare you get them when they
are still tasty and tender. Shanks and stewing lamb are tough meats.
They need that long slow cooking to soften up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:02:44 -0800, Mark Thorson >
arranged random neurons and said:

>Now that I think about it, I think one of the
>Campbell's soups back in the old days listed
>mutton as an ingredient. Possibly Scotch Broth.
>That had tripe in it. It was my favorite, after
>picking out the carrots. (I detest cooked carrots.)
>I better not try it again. Campbell's has probably
>messed it up like they did with Cream of Chicken,
>and it might damage my pleasant memories of Scotch
>Broth to find out what it's like now.

I agree with you about the mediocrity of Campbell's soups, but when
you have the flu (as I just did) there's something that soothes when
you're slurping down Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Plus, it was the
only thing I could keep down

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:02:44 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>Now that I think about it, I think one of the
>>Campbell's soups back in the old days listed
>>mutton as an ingredient. Possibly Scotch Broth.
>>That had tripe in it. It was my favorite, after
>>picking out the carrots. (I detest cooked carrots.)
>>I better not try it again. Campbell's has probably
>>messed it up like they did with Cream of Chicken,
>>and it might damage my pleasant memories of Scotch
>>Broth to find out what it's like now.

> I agree with you about the mediocrity of Campbell's soups, but when
> you have the flu (as I just did) there's something that soothes when
> you're slurping down Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Plus, it was the
> only thing I could keep down

Soup or no soup, I hope you are feeling much better now!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/04/2011 12:49 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> I agree with you about the mediocrity of Campbell's soups, but when
> you have the flu (as I just did) there's something that soothes when
> you're slurping down Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Plus, it was the
> only thing I could keep down

It may be the mediocrity of Campbell's soup that I can blame for not
being much of a such eater. I discovered while working at summer camp
that home made soups can be good. I was amazed at how much better the
cook's cream of mushroom soup was than Cambpell's. But then I went back
to canned soup. Later on, when working on the road and eating lunches in
restaurants, I found places that made good soups. I tried making some
and failed.

In the last few years I have learned how to make some decent soups. I
don't think I could go back to prepared soups. Besides, I have to avoid
them because of the salt content. FWIW... I am making a batch of split
pea soup as we speak.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:12:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
arranged random neurons and said:

>Soup or no soup, I hope you are feeling much better now!
>--

Thank you, Ophelia! 24 hour stomach flu, kindly passed on to me by my
two wee grandchildren, who bounced back within hours of throwing up
all over everywhere. I was in bed, groaning and carefully sipping
ginger ale and chicken soup, for the requisite 24 hours, feeling very,
very delicate. Tried the gym this morning. Not. A. Good. Idea.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Now that I think about it, I think one of the
> Campbell's soups back in the old days listed
> mutton as an ingredient. Possibly Scotch Broth.
> That had tripe in it. It was my favorite, after
> picking out the carrots. (I detest cooked carrots.)
> I better not try it again. Campbell's has probably
> messed it up like they did with Cream of Chicken,
> and it might damage my pleasant memories of Scotch
> Broth to find out what it's like now.

I remember when Campbell's had a turtle soup, made with real turtle.
When I was in college, during the late Pleistocene epoch, I consumed a
lot of their soups, because it was about all I could afford. These
days, I find them pretty nasty, usually way too salty.

But I do like their black bean soup, which is not bad if you doctor it
up with some chopped onions and jalapeños, melted cheese, sour cream, or
some other stuff. For some reason, I have not seen it in Seattle
groceries.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steve, Don't Eat it! (was: Disgusting foods.)

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> soooooooooooooooooo what do you think are the most disgusting foods
> in the world????

This guy has made a career out of exploring this question, and he is
much more entertaining than Zimmern.

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

--
Julian Vrieslander
Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillMags View Post
CNN has given an assignment to a reporter to do "The most disgusting
foods in the world". It points to a longstanding problem with
terminology for the category.

TV host Andrew Zimmern, who sets the gold standard for adventurous
global eating, goes with "bizarre." Others opt for "oddity," "exotic,"
or the often euphemistically-employed "delicacy" to describe highly-
localized, often animal derived (though there's always natto),
sometimes fetal, fermented or pungent or deliberately rotted or maggot
infested...

Okay, some of it is pretty gnarly, but if we're gonna go with the word
"disgusting," I would choose to eat the aforementioned natto (gooey,
fermented soybeans), savory haggis (spiced sheep heart, liver and
lungs mixed with oatmeal and cooked in the animal's stomach), blood
pudding, head cheese, any permutation of animal or bird foot or
innards before I'd even think of jamming down any permutation of
Pocket, frozen diet dinner brick or Hungry Girl-sanctioned cheese
replacement.

It may sound, well, disgusting, but at least when I'm chowing down on
a cow brain, I know exactly what I'm putting in my mouth.

soooooooooooooooooo what do you think are the most disgusting foods
in the world????
"Disgusting" is totally dependent on what you're used to, I think. Ox tongue - which many of you won't touch - is something I think is awesome. (Although at first, the mere thought of eating tongue - and a beast's tongue at that! - was enough to give me the chills.) What I can't stand, though, is stinky tofu from China. It does what it says on the tin.:|
There's also this Filipino dish called Papaitan made of ox tripe (which is good) and ox bile (NASTY). One spoonful of the broth was enough to make me chuck up all the contents of my stomach.
__________________
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> I remember when Campbell's had a turtle soup, made with real turtle.
> When I was in college, during the late Pleistocene epoch, I consumed a
> lot of their soups, because it was about all I could afford. These
> days, I find them pretty nasty, usually way too salty.

How was the turtle soup? I've seen ads in old
magazines that showed it, so I knew it had existed,
but never had a chance to try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:12:00 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> arranged random neurons and said:
>
>>Soup or no soup, I hope you are feeling much better now!
>>--

> Thank you, Ophelia! 24 hour stomach flu, kindly passed on to me by my
> two wee grandchildren, who bounced back within hours of throwing up
> all over everywhere. I was in bed, groaning and carefully sipping
> ginger ale and chicken soup, for the requisite 24 hours, feeling very,
> very delicate. Tried the gym this morning. Not. A. Good. Idea.

I believe you!!!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steve, Don't Eat it!

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:26:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:57:34 -0700, Julian Vrieslander wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >,
>> ImStillMags > wrote:
>>
>>> soooooooooooooooooo what do you think are the most disgusting foods
>>> in the world????

>> This guy has made a career out of exploring this question, and he is
>> much more entertaining than Zimmern.
>>
>> http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

> I read the four entries and I didn't think it was all that. That's a
> career? He makes money off of that? I'm in the wrong profession.
>
> I've eaten all that stuff up to the Urkel cereal. I think he could do
> a better job of reviewing the food and being honest rather than the
> automatic launching of insults at it.
>
> For example, the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
> is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt.

i hate the ads for those damn things.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
>> is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt.

>i hate those damn things.

I see you're alive, mick.

You'd better knock off eating doggie snacks like the dwarf, you don't
want to stunt your growth too, you're already short enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> >
> > I remember when Campbell's had a turtle soup, made with real turtle.
> > When I was in college, during the late Pleistocene epoch, I consumed a
> > lot of their soups, because it was about all I could afford. These
> > days, I find them pretty nasty, usually way too salty.

> How was the turtle soup? I've seen ads in old
> magazines that showed it, so I knew it had existed,
> but never had a chance to try it.

I only tried it once. Don't remember anything about the flavor of it,
just that it was semi-clear and dark brown.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:26:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:57:34 -0700, Julian Vrieslander wrote:
>>
>>> In article

>>> This guy has made a career out of exploring this question, and he is
>>> much more entertaining than Zimmern.
>>>
>>> http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

>> I read the four entries and I didn't think it was all that. That's a
>> career? He makes money off of that? I'm in the wrong profession.
>>
>> I've eaten all that stuff up to the Urkel cereal. I think he could do
>> a better job of reviewing the food and being honest rather than the
>> automatic launching of insults at it.
>>
>> For example, the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
>> is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt.

> i hate the ads for those damn things.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You live!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 6:37*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
> >> is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt. *

> >i hate those damn things.

> I see you're alive, mick.
>
> You'd better knock off eating doggie snacks like the dwarf, you don't
> want to stunt your growth too, you're already short enough.

He's just a troll, he's just a troll, he's just a troll, he's just a
troll...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" wrote:

> In article >,
> Julian Vrieslander > wrote:
>
> > I remember when Campbell's had a turtle soup, made with real turtle.

> I have a theory about this. I think that the availability of
> pre-packaged foods and their general acceptance in our culture has
> actually reduced the variety of our foods and dishes. They had to start
> out "like homemade" and with a greater variety, then people no longer
> were used to what it actually was like homemade as they had been sold
> "ease" and "convenience" for so long. After that, the companies could
> start pulling some of the more expensive varieties, then the other
> variations until we were down to three or four kinds of muck that
> everyone thought of as food.

I have a friend who says before the 1950's food wasn't
standardized. Recipes would say a cup of this or a pinch
of that, nobody used timers, etc. so you really had to know
how to cook or have the services of someone that does.
With prepackaged food, you don't really need that anymore.
Preparing food is becoming a specialty skill of little
importance to the vast majority of people, like knowing
how to make an arrowhead out of flint or operate a steam
locomotive.

If your theory is also true, it suggests food is moving
toward a single food in a single flavor that can be mass
produced, eaten raw or microwaved, supply complete nutrition,
and has enough fiber for comfortable bowel movements.
It would be formulated similar to dog food, except using
ingredients people would find acceptable if they knew what
they were. I suggest calling it Purina People Chow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/17/2011 6:06 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> If your theory is also true, it suggests food is moving
> toward a single food in a single flavor that can be mass
> produced, eaten raw or microwaved, supply complete nutrition,
> and has enough fiber for comfortable bowel movements.
> It would be formulated similar to dog food, except using
> ingredients people would find acceptable if they knew what
> they were. I suggest calling it Purina People Chow.

I'd suggest Soylent Green.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On 4/17/2011 6:06 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> If your theory is also true, it suggests food is moving
>> toward a single food in a single flavor that can be mass
>> produced, eaten raw or microwaved, supply complete nutrition,
>> and has enough fiber for comfortable bowel movements.
>> It would be formulated similar to dog food, except using
>> ingredients people would find acceptable if they knew what
>> they were. I suggest calling it Purina People Chow.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:27:51 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:
>I'd suggest Soylent Green.

A scene in that movie haunts me to this day; where E.G. Robinson is
laying in that room watching that movie with all the beautiful scenes
in it. It spooked me out the first time and again the next two times I
saw the movie. Gave me goose-bumps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 4/17/2011 6:06 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > If your theory is also true, it suggests food is moving
> > toward a single food in a single flavor that can be mass
> > produced, eaten raw or microwaved, supply complete nutrition,
> > and has enough fiber for comfortable bowel movements.
> > It would be formulated similar to dog food, except using
> > ingredients people would find acceptable if they knew what
> > they were. I suggest calling it Purina People Chow.

> I'd suggest Soylent Green.

Kown in it's raw and unprocessed form as Purina Alien Chow (and yes, the
producers said they did have that in mind when they added the logo).

http://www.markta.co.uk/alien/screens3/alien_055.JPG

http://www.markta.co.uk/alien/screens3/alien_060.JPG

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:13:19 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> I read the four entries and I didn't think it was all that. That's a
>>> career? He makes money off of that? I'm in the wrong profession.
>>>
>>> I've eaten all that stuff up to the Urkel cereal. I think he could do
>>> a better job of reviewing the food and being honest rather than the
>>> automatic launching of insults at it.
>>>
>>> For example, the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
>>> is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt.

>> i hate the ads for those damn things.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> You live!

yeah, i'm alive and somewhat kicking.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:37*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>>i hate those damn things.

>> I see you're alive, mick.
>>
>> You'd better knock off eating doggie snacks like the dwarf, you don't
>> want to stunt your growth too, you're already short enough.

> He's just a troll, he's just a troll, he's just a troll, he's just a
> troll...

if you're talking about sheldon, he's an *idiotic* troll.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2011 1:57 AM, Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> soooooooooooooooooo what do you think are the most disgusting foods
>> in the world????

> This guy has made a career out of exploring this question, and he is
> much more entertaining than Zimmern.
>
> http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

Yummy cat food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:26:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:57:34 -0700, Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> >
> >> In article

> >> This guy has made a career out of exploring this question, and he is
> >> much more entertaining than Zimmern.
> >>
> >> http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

> > I read the four entries and I didn't think it was all that. That's a
> > career? He makes money off of that? I'm in the wrong profession.
> >
> > I've eaten all that stuff up to the Urkel cereal. I think he could do
> > a better job of reviewing the food and being honest rather than the
> > automatic launching of insults at it.
> >
> > For example, the most noticeable characteristic of the Beggin Strips
> > is the graininess of them - like they're made of dirt.

> i hate the ads for those damn things.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Those adverts are stupid! It's cheaper just to give the dog a cooked,
well-drained strip of real bacon as a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:13:19 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i hate the ads for those damn things.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> You live!

> yeah, i'm alive and somewhat kicking.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I see some of your wit here and think you must be feeling better!
And... LOL.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:24:31 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> You live!

>> yeah, i'm alive and somewhat kicking.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I see some of your wit here and think you must be feeling better!
> And... LOL.

you're very kind to say so.

your pal,
blake