Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What would be the "Ultimate" Steak & Eggs?

At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
eggs have?

Bob

Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 10, 1:21*pm, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:
At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish..
I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
eggs have?

Bob

The best I've ever had was a Benedict made with a filet mignon, cooked
perfectly.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
eb.com...
At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg dish.
I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate steak &
eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the ultimate steak &
eggs have?

Bob

Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side with
the Madeira sauce with the steak. From Wikipedia: "Tournedos Rossini is a
French steak dish, purportedly created for the composer Gioachino Rossini by
Auguste Escoffier, although the identity of the creator of the dish remains
a matter of dispute. The dish comprises a tournedos (filet mignon) of beef,
pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a slice of whole
foie gras. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle, and finished
with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.

I've attempted this, though not for years. We brought goose liver back from
France, squandered on truffles here, and made our own demi-glace.

Kent

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:59:23 -0700, "Kent"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think I'd make that for breakfast.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message

At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak
& egg dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think
the ultimate steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What
else should the ultimate steak & eggs have?

White Italian truffles would be ideal, as you state.

I go with the idea of harissa on eggs. I'm presently in London
which afforded us the opportunity to buy unpasteurized, lower-salt,
fresh rose harissa rather than the jarred product, which is
already wonderful, but the fresh stuff is that much better.
I could visualize a poached egg on toast dish but with thinly
sliced rib steak beneath the egg.

We didn't have steak with our poached eggs with harissa this morning,
but we did have some slices of Extremadura ham next to them
on the plate. That stuff is also really good. (L17 / 100 g, not
too bad, given the flavor concentration.)

Steve
Old 11-04-2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg
dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate
steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the
ultimate steak & eggs have?

Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side
with the Madeira sauce with the steak.

Marginalizing or omitting the eggs rather disqualifies the dish from being
the ultimate steak & egg dish. I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere. Some
kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a compound
butter with thyme and shallots.

Bob

Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Bob Terwilliger wrote:

What else should the ultimate steak & eggs have?

A slice of smoked and seared wagyu prime rib with golden ossetra
caviar.

The steak should be USDA Prime+, but not that obnoxiously fatty Kobe
stuff.

Oh, and some good, skin-on french fries.

And then yoose woke up and settled for tube steak and pickled eggs.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:02:21 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

Kent wrote:

At brunch, Lin stated that her entree was the "Ultimate" steak & egg
dish. I'm not so sure about that. Upon reflection, I think the ultimate
steak & eggs would definitely have truffles. What else should the
ultimate steak & eggs have?

Tournedos Rossini with Foie Gras: I'd leave out the eggs, or have eggs on
the side. Or, use the yolks for sauce Bernaise. Have that on the side
with the Madeira sauce with the steak.

Marginalizing or omitting the eggs rather disqualifies the dish from being
the ultimate steak & egg dish. I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere. Some
kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a compound
butter with thyme and shallots.

Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
for breakfast.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere.
Some
kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a
compound
butter with thyme and shallots.

Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
for breakfast.

Good point; it needs to be lightened up.

The potatoes I had in mind were something like this:

Peel yellow potatoes and cut into slices about three-eighths of an inch
thick. Brown them in oil, then simmer in stock until tender.

I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
complement all that while still being fairly light?

Bob

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:38:15 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
wrote:

sf wrote:

I'm still mulling over my concept of the "ultimate" steak & egg dish.
Besides truffles, I think potatoes would have to be in there somewhere.
Some
kind of sauce which enhances all the other components; maybe just a
compound
butter with thyme and shallots.

Everything you're thinking of sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want it
for breakfast.

Good point; it needs to be lightened up.

The potatoes I had in mind were something like this:

Peel yellow potatoes and cut into slices about three-eighths of an inch
thick. Brown them in oil, then simmer in stock until tender.

Potatoes so thin don't need to be cooked twice, but simmer first and
brown after would be my preference.

SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
complement all that while still being fairly light?

My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
SIL harvested his first Yukon Golds last week and he says they were
sublime cooked fresh from the ground.

Nothing like garden fresh, and garden fresh potatoes are even more tasty
than the routine goodness of other garden fresh produce. One of the few
things i think a pressure cooker is good for, fresh new potatoes,
quickly cooked with a dash of salt.

I'm not thinking of a BIG steak, probably only about four ounces or so cut
from a larger cooked steak. The egg should not be lost in the steak. The
truffles would be shaved over the top. Can you think of a sauce which would
complement all that while still being fairly light?

My favorite sauce with steak is bernaise, which I suppose could be
made light and ephemeral.... but I'd save it for brunch - a late one.
I think compound butter (and not a lot) would be better for breakfast.

I cant imagine cooking much less eating a steak for b'fast. But as you
state, for lunch or dinner i usually make a butter & wine pan sauce
from the resulting fond of the suated steak or steak pieces.

Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.

I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.

Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
remember to purchase it.

All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
grill with a tbs. of the butter.
--
JL
Old 11-04-2011, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:22:35 -0700, "M. JL Esq."
wrote:

sf wrote:
[...]

We sometimes have steak and eggs (+ hash browns) for breakfast, but
the steak is leftover from the night before. I just wouldn't think of
doing it for my own breakfast under any other circumstances.

Until they recently closed a local butcher sold "English short ribs"
that i would occasionally season & dredge a couple of in flour and saute
till nicely browned, remove from the pan and put the short ribs aside
for later braising and proceed to make a pan sauce from the remaining
fond to serve with some other quickly prepared foods. Those English
short ribs make an remarkable fond for producing a very tasty sauce from.

Oh, man... you *would* tempt me like that! Short ribs are my
husband's favorite midrange restaurant meal.

And speaking of compound butters, there is also an anchovy butter i have
made a few times from a Lidia Bastianich recipe for a large grilled
steak that i think is very good, i just don't keep enough anchovies
around to think of making it in any spontaneous way.

I tried looking it up on her site but couldn't find what i remember from
the show, butter, mashed anchovies, a soupcon of well mashed garlic,
salt, pepper, capers & a touch of various vinegar's or lemon juice if
desired, a few drops of a good balsamic is very nice.

Lydia adds a bit of the ubiquitous parsley iirc but i hardly ever
remember to purchase it.

All well mixed with room temp butter, no heating of any of the
ingredients, so use discrete amounts especially of the raw garlic, and
chill in the fridge till ready to use, serve the steak right off the
grill with a tbs. of the butter.

Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

Same reason i don't keep blue cheese in quantity, i would eat it

OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

Undoubtedly, but last time i checked Italian white truffles were about
$200.00 per ounce, when available and that was several years ago, god
knows what black truffles cost, and its not the type of thing i would
purchase sight unseen over the net.
--
JL
Old 11-04-2011, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:08:43 -0700, "M. JL Esq."
wrote:

sf wrote:

Why don't you make a big batch of it (use the whole tin of anchovies,
use more parsley at once) and freeze in smaller portions or a log?

Same reason i don't keep blue cheese in quantity, i would eat it

OH! I googled Lidia. This truffle and anchovy compound butter may be
just what the Dr. ordered for Bob's breakfast!
http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/414

Undoubtedly, but last time i checked Italian white truffles were about
$200.00 per ounce, when available and that was several years ago, god
knows what black truffles cost, and its not the type of thing i would
purchase sight unseen over the net.

I have no idea which truffle Bob was planning to use, but AFAIC any
will work for a compound butter. I'd like black, myself.